Walking

• This is the only form of exercise I enjoy. I've been walking close to 2 hours per day but have hit a plateau weight wise. I've just started a gluten free diet to help with this so I'm hoping it will help. Anyone else see results with just plain walking?
  • If you enjoy walking perhaps you can look into hiking, just to change things up. Walking is great exercise, keep it up. The human body however is amazing because it reacts to being challenged. When you do the same thing for a long time your body adapts to do it in the most efficient way possible, meaning that it tries to expend the least energy and burn the least amount of calories doing it. That's why you see people upping the ante. At first 1mile is difficult to do but then it gets too easy and you have to add to it. Challenging yourself may mean walkin more hills and stairs, walking faster, adding a weighted best, or walking further. You're already walking 2hrs so you'll have to find a way to challenge yourself without adding more time. Me, I'd rather cardio for 30 min and be done with it than waste 2 hrs of my day so I push hard.

Body weight exercises are wonderful and can really build up muscle.
  • I hear about people who vary the intensity of their walks, or take more challenging routes that involve hills, like wannabeskinny suggested. A weight vest is a great suggestion.

My mum has had great success with a very controlled diet and walking, though it's a method too rigid for me.
  • Walking is the only exercise I do
  • I wish I could walk! I use a crutch and it takes me a long time to walk very far. I need an alternative.
  • Im sorry to hear you cant walk
  • Start running leanmeout. I walked until I was 60lbs down. But once I hit 220lbs I started running and never looked back. My first run was half a mile and I was a sweaty mess. But I kept going and I now run at least 4 miles a day.

It's a great cardio workout and is good for weightloss. It burns fat and muscle so I am careful to also do weight training and eat protein to preserve muscle mass.

And Kaneloa , don't sweat it. Just use diet to get your weight down. Once the weight is down, exercise becomes much easier. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. (but exercise does have other benefits)
  • Kaneloa, are you able to swim? I was thinking since it is non impact workout, you may be able to do that.
  • Do incline walking, or stair climbing, or uphill walking for 15 minutes and increase time every week.