Athletic Protocol?

• Does anyone know if the "Athletic Protocol" still exists in IP?

I've had some issues staying on plan because I become depressed that I'm not working out. Just a couple of years ago, I was 40 pounds lighter & loved to workout (P90x style with added hour of cardio)! I wonder if I would be successful having the 5 packets a day & the extra egg with a regular morning workout routine...(not P90x) Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks!
  • I believe others have said to use the alternate protocol for diabetics if you must continue exercising so much. Fo me, no exercise has been my favourite part and will be a difficult transition to add in once I get to maintenance.
  • I would consider myself an athlete.(My home health PT has agreed saying I did not even need the second week of home health). I made a choice of following the protocol to lose the weight which meant temporarily cutting back on exercise. I did not do without. I still swam 4 times a week, still did weight lifting. However, at my coach's advise(who is also a swimmer so understood me) I did more steady state conditioning work in the pool, and I worked more light endurance weight. On days that I was more hungry due to the exercise I had her permission to add protein which I usually did between breakfast and lunch. I work out in the morning so that was beneficial.

Once on maintenance I went back to working out harder. I was very happy to see that even though I had backed off, the quality of this diet allowed me to keep quite a bit of strength, and ramping back up was actually quite fun. I actually started to surpass where I was prior to where I was prior to IP. The limitation I had and have were my lousy dysplastic hips.

Finally, finally, finally, I did not push through fatigue. That is really hard in the athletic mindset, but it really pays to take an extra day off a week when your body says, enough, I need rest.
  • DRD is our resident expert and I'd take her advise

FYI: There WAS a protocol.
    I'm checking with a coach to see if there is still one in the coaches' file @ IP (ETA: there is no longer an athlete's protocol in the coaches' file)

I'm not going to repost it here b/c the general protocol has changed so the amt of protein at dinner won't match, nor will the current select/occasional/not permitted veggies.

Here were the differences in regular protocol vs "athletes":
    B 1-2 IP protein packs
    L: 1 IP protein pack plus one hard boiled egg or 1/3 can tuna. 2 c select veggies
    D: same
    Snack 1-2 IP protein packs
    It was noted to have 1-2 g protein per pound of lean body weight (not total body weight...lean mass is everything minus fat).

The sheet notes this at the bottom:
    IMPORTANT - Reduce intensity of training, at this point priority is on conserving existing mass and trimming fat. Post workout (within 45 minutes) - Drink 2 envelopes: Peach Mango, Pineapple Banana, or orange Drink. (I added: choose lowest carb, lowest fat, lowest cal packets. Probably could add here the rasp jelly, lemonade, and the blue/cran granata)

It also notes on the bottom of the page to do cardio in the morning. Never get out of breath, 45 minutes performed 4-5 times Per week.

There is no date on the protocol sheet but I found it in 2011, so it is several years old.
  • Thanks for all of your help!

I'm just going to be a good girl and follow phase 1 as written. It will then feel wonderful to start exercising in phase 3... My reward!
  • It does feel wonderful. You will be surprised at the gains you will make after following this protocol.