Maintainers Moving Their Feet Through the Heat of July

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: July 4: 100 minutes bikram yoga... Went to the earlier of only two offered classes rather than their usual 6.

Totals:
    4 days
    400 minutes
    Andrea.... Fun! I would love to do that!

Saef... That sounds like a scary spin class! I've seen a few people faint in bikram over the years and it's always scary. They always call 911 to be on the safe side.

July 5: 30 minute walk to and from gym, 20 minutes stair master, 700 ft rope pull

July 6: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 7: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    7 workouts
    660 minutes
  • Tuesday, July 8th:

NROLW 3A4, the last time I'll do this sequence in this stage. I'm nearly done with Stage 3. And let me tell you, it is a long workout. Lots of overtime work and these long exercise routines are not making me happy.
  • Saef, if I remember correctly the next stage is a shorter workout.

Not going to try to catch up on recording all the days I didn't record here, since I have it all recorded elsewhere, so we'll start with yesterday.

June 9, MuTu w3d2
    - mutu core phase 1 x2
    - mutu intensive workout 1
    - 20 min walk

That intensive workout kicked my butt! I am so sore today I don't know how I'm going to do it again, much less 4x this week.
  • Hi all,

I've been cutting food intake a bit for the past few days, and also maybe scamping more on exercise than I should.

I can't really say my exact workouts for July 1-5, but I almost certainly went to the gym in the morning July 1, 2, and 3. 4 and 5 were rest days.

July 6: I ran about 2 miles in the humidity outside and wanted to die.

July 7: 1.25 miles treadmill running, lat pulldowns, tricep cable pulldowns, DB shoulder presses, KB swings, planks. Moved a bunch of stuff after work.

July 8: 0.5 miles treadmill running, 10 min stair stepper, Smith machine squats, glute bridges with 45# plate, KB swings, KB deadlifts, planks. Moved more stuff after work.

July 9: 10 min stair stepper, DB bench presses, DB tricep extensions, DB push presses, KB swings, 5 min arc trainer, planks, Roman chair leg raises
  • Wednesday, July 9th:

45 minute spin class, and I felt good, firing on all cylinders, and really into it, maybe because I woke up already feeling overwhelmed with tasks at 4:45 AM, and this helped me release some tension.
  • Quote: Andrea.... Fun! I would love to do that!

Saef... That sounds like a scary spin class! I've seen a few people faint in bikram over the years and it's always scary. They always call 911 to be on the safe side.

July 5: 30 minute walk to and from gym, 20 minutes stair master, 700 ft rope pull

July 6: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 7: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    7 workouts
    660 minutes
    July 8: no formal exercise... Just lots of walking in San Francisco. Ended the day over 13,000 steps. I'm sure it didn't offset my food choices though!

July 9: I leave for London in two weeks so I'm going to ramp up my workouts when possible. Back to back bikram yoga classes today.
    100 minutes bikram yoga x 2

Totals:
    9 workouts
    860 minutes
  • Saef, do you know about this group? www.facebook.com/groups/NROL4W/?fref=nf I belong and it's pretty motivating.
  • Andrea, yes indeed, I belong to it, and I've been posting there recently, too. Indeed it's been a godsend to me, full of helpful tips and commiseration and exhilarating moments.

Oh, and my local Groupon offers include a trampoline room, which made me think of you. Looks like it's A Thing, and I didn't even realize it (not uncommon).

Thursday, July 10th:

60 minutes elliptical, sweat just pouring off me, but a welcome exorcism of extreme work-related tension. This is actually getting easier to do now that I've got a stronger posterior chain, hamstrings and leg muscles. (Tell me again why, stupidly, I never trained my legs and figured cardio had that taken care of.)

Missed Pilates tonight. Was working on a document till 8:30 PM. This was not a good day for me at work, though far worse for my direct report, who went MIA from work for three days. I had to ask HR to call her emergency contact. She's been in bed suffering horribly from an onslaught of Lyme Disease, and wasn't even up to calling in sick at work.
  • Cool. What's your FB name? Have I ever replied to one of your posts there? I still belong even though I finished NROLW long ago, because I do the NROLL workouts.
  • Friday, July 11th:

Finished the last workout of Stage 3 of NROLW. I destroyed the treadmill sprints today, a welcome change from this past Sunday, when I last did this workout, and I just bonked completely. This short-legged, dumpy non-runner with the arthritic big toe joints is thrilled to do a 7.0 sprint for one minute straight through.

And Andrea, my Facebook name is my real name, so I'll not share it here, but I am sure you will figure it out. Trying to remember if I've seen you posting in that group. I only remember a couple names from post to post, mostly the experts ... and C--- K---, who shares frequently and more than most.
  • Quote: July 8: no formal exercise... Just lots of walking in San Francisco. Ended the day over 13,000 steps. I'm sure it didn't offset my food choices though!

July 9: I leave for London in two weeks so I'm going to ramp up my workouts when possible. Back to back bikram yoga classes today.

Totals:
    9 workouts
    860 minutes
    July 10: back to back bikram!

July 11: back to back bikram third day running!

Totals:
    13 workouts
    1260 minutes
  • Saturday, July 12th:

60 minute spin class, with the young substitute, who threw some Pitbull in with her sad slow thoughtful indie music. She is really trying. And she really is a good instructor, as far as being competent and strong goes -- but she's not catching on or getting any kind of following, and I am sure she feels somewhat hurt by this. She's very intense, sort of inward-looking, whereas the other instructors are more extroverted and have the warmth that I connect with excellent elementary school teachers and nurses and therapists and others in professions that require evidence of empathy. The thing is, you can be athletic, train hard, come up with great routines, but if you haven't got that piece of the puzzle ... I don't know, but I know it's a profession where people have to attract flocks to succeed.

60-minute Pilates mat class. Fuller than it ought to be on a gorgeous hot Saturday in July. And this instructor, too, has completely got "It," whatever that is, a kind of warmth, an expressive personality, a little bit of charisma. Whatever it is that the new spin instructor hasn't got, or hasn't developed yet. And yet I still like this young woman, and I hope she breaks through.
  • Sunday, July 13th:

First workout of NROLW Stage 4, once again serving a sentence of weighted stepups ... and oh Lord, the 120-second plank.

Managed 15 minutes on the StairMaster afterward, and that's all she wrote. This leg-heavy workout didn't leave me with me much energy for cardio.
  • Quote: oh Lord, the 120-minute plank.
    Did I read that right?
  • Birchie, oh dear, oh dear, no, I wrote that incorrectly. It's the 120-SECOND plank., not the 120-MINUTE plank, though honestly, it feels like that at about the 90-second mark. One holds the plank for two minutes, NOT two hours. I would pass out if I attempted the later, which sounds like a punishment meted out to sailors during the Napoleonic Wars.

Monday, July 14th:

45 minute spin class, which I was only capable of doing after stretching hip flexors and ham strings on the floor of the spin room before climbing onto the bike. It's that glute-hamstring attachment that gets me. This is from yesterday's weighted high step-ups and the weighted Bulgarian split squats and the weighted one-legged dumbbell deadlifts.