Size 10

• Have been coming here sporadically for a few years. Last summer found my motivation-simply buying much smaller one dollar items at resale shops prompted me to examine my attitudes and I learned that I had allowed myself to believe that my age meant a number of things: That getting smaller would be next to impossible, that having fun with clothes was something behind me and never to be experienced again, and most importantly age meant ugly with no personal power that comes with being and/or feeling good about one's physical self.

I have been losing weight and sticking to serious exercising in starts and stops. This was probably a good thing, since it is giving my body and mind, sense of self really, to adjust to smaller "me".

Last summer in my purchasing of smaller clothes it started with 2 size 12 pencil skirts, at $1 each. After realizing my complacency about so many aspects of my physical self (including feeling like I had committed some crime by buying these two skirts), I frequented the dollar rack and "arrogantly" (LOL) purchased items in a range of sizes all the way down to a few sixes.

Today, a pair of jeans, size 10, heavy on the spandax, that I had hanging in view as motivation, (and that looked like something waaaaaaaaaaay too small for me right now) ACTUALLY FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure made my day, my week, my month!!!!!! Funny how we hang on to so much in our minds and hearts that do us no service, that looking at those jeans, then deciding to try them on, fully expecting to not be able to pull them up, felt like something audacious. Heck, they are not even too tight to wear in public!
  • Congratulations!!! What a wonderful success

An awesome idea, too, on buying all those sizes at thrifty prices. I am always afraid I will do something like that and two years from now have a ton of clothes in my closet that still won't fit. But it sounds like this has been amazing motivation for you and I wish you continued success!
  • Thanks! Since weight loss is so complicated, motivation seems to be the first thing to find. I feel a bit silly that those "important" reasons (health, finding a job, feeling better) didn't do it for me, but my motto is "whatever works". As far as having smaller items that didn't fit me according to my original timeline (and believe me I had quite a plan), I knew it was important to stay positive, to focus on what I had achieved, rather than falling short of goals. Initially I was "supposed" to fit into these almost a year ago, so as far as your comment about having items as reminders of "failure", it can be risky, but positive focus, hard won has worked for me so far.
  • Congrats on an awesome NSV!!
  • congrats!!! I would love to be in a size 10! So happy for you (and a bit jealous!)
  • Congratulations!!

I actually love your idea. One of my MAIN reasons for losing weight is to be able to wear nice clothes for once in my life. I have "thrift shop shopping spree" on my list of rewards for milestones, and I have a rather huge Pinterest board of clothing that inspires me, BUT - I kind of like the idea of letting myself go to my favorite thrift store (which I want to take a few pictures of to motivate me) and buy a couple of the super cool clothes I'm always finding and bemoaning that I never can wear.

Thanks for the idea!!