First Time Success Stories?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • This is all SUPER helpful! I think what is getting into head is the naysayers who never think things like this work, and then coming here and seeing so many reboot threads. I'm doing 100% because I just can't think I know better. If I did I wouldn't have gotten to this point. I certainly can't cure insulin resistance on my own. But man alive, so much fear of failure resides in me!
  • Just take it one meal at a time. You can do this
  • Stop the negative thoughts and just follow the plan. Say no to anything non plan as if your life depended on it.....because it does. Keep that in your head, your life depends on this and you WILL follow it.
  • Quote: Be true to yourself and before you know it you will be in the home stretch. Hang in there, we all come here to be uplifted when we are down, encouraged when we falter and sometimes being given some tough love. I believe it is all meant to help you succeed, no one here wants you to fail. Good luck to you.
    Well said, Shathom! How are you?

Tamila
    , I started IP exactly 2 years ago. After 9 months 100% on P1, I reached my goal and lost 79 pounds. I took 5 weeks to completely phase off and lost a bit more bringing me about 5 pounds under my stated goal.

I consider myself a success story, even though I'm in a "reboot" mode right now. I maintained for 9 months or so, then saw that I was up 5-6 pounds. I rebooted, lost it, and then gained it with a few pounds more. I have now lost the additional pounds and am once again at my goal weight. I feel great! But I never gained more than 10 pounds over my goal weight. I consider that to be a great success.

I think that an occasional "reboot" is fine. We are lucky that we have the tools to do this. I know I will never go back to the weight that I was - I got rid of all of the "fat" clothes and my lifestyle and eating habits have changed.

However (the big however) - cb170 is completely right. You need to use your time in P1 to discover that you really like vegetables. I found that I feel good when I eat my roasted or grilled veggies and meat protein. I don't feel so good eating high carb foods. I continue to have a protein bar for a snack each afternoon. I continue to do many of the things I learned on P1 and P3.

And I continue to weight myself at least once a week and check in at the Maintainers thread. All of those things keep me on track.

I know there are others who have lost the weight and kept it off. Stick with the program and you, too can be one of them! It's all a journey! You can do this!
  • Thanks, all!

FWIW, by reboot I don't mean people within 5-10 pounds of goal. I meant more those who regained all the weight or more like 40, 50, and more pounds.

I'm on this weird head space where I know eventually I can put butter on my broccoli or homemade olive or avocado oil mayo on my burger. But even though I don't really miss processed foods the fact that I can never eat like "normal" people again is just bugging me. I didn't even eat that way before I found out I was insulin resistant--I was already paleo with only some quinoa and GF oats. But the point is, getting my head around this being forever is what I think makes it so hard to say no to that almond when dishing out my toddler's lunch now.
  • My 93% lean burger, just so ya know
  • Quote: Thanks, all!

FWIW, by reboot I don't mean people within 5-10 pounds of goal. I meant more those who regained all the weight or more like 40, 50, and more pounds.

I'm on this weird head space where I know eventually I can put butter on my broccoli or homemade olive or avocado oil mayo on my burger. But even though I don't really miss processed foods the fact that I can never eat like "normal" people again is just bugging me. I didn't even eat that way before I found out I was insulin resistant--I was already paleo with only some quinoa and GF oats. But the point is, getting my head around this being forever is what I think makes it so hard to say no to that almond when dishing out my toddler's lunch now.
    Paleo is a great "after" plan, and you're already familiar with it. You'll see by the 90% thread postings that you probably could have that almond and it not make a huge difference....maybe.... BUT think of it as your "short term pain for long term gain". If you can stay in the zone and resist those "nibbles" you'll be done this part way faster and back to the maintenance plan. And once you have reset your pancreas, perhaps that will help with the insulin resistance issue? This diet IS hard but the closer you stick to the protocol, the faster you'll achieve your end result. You are right though that the hardest part of this diet is the "mental headspace" part. This forum is a great place for me to work on that part of my diet.

Eating like "normal" people has gotten this world into a dangerous precedence of 30% obesity, diabetes, chronic inflammation and other weight related health issues. I think we should start changing the world so it is more "normal" to eat healthy.
  • Quote: Well said, Shathom! How are you?

Tamila
    , I started IP exactly 2 years ago. After 9 months 100% on P1, I reached my goal and lost 79 pounds. I took 5 weeks to completely phase off and lost a bit more bringing me about 5 pounds under my stated goal.

I consider myself a success story, even though I'm in a "reboot" mode right now. I maintained for 9 months or so, then saw that I was up 5-6 pounds. I rebooted, lost it, and then gained it with a few pounds more. I have now lost the additional pounds and am once again at my goal weight. I feel great! But I never gained more than 10 pounds over my goal weight. I consider that to be a great success.

I think that an occasional "reboot" is fine. We are lucky that we have the tools to do this. I know I will never go back to the weight that I was - I got rid of all of the "fat" clothes and my lifestyle and eating habits have changed.

However (the big however) - cb170 is completely right. You need to use your time in P1 to discover that you really like vegetables. I found that I feel good when I eat my roasted or grilled veggies and meat protein. I don't feel so good eating high carb foods. I continue to have a protein bar for a snack each afternoon. I continue to do many of the things I learned on P1 and P3.

And I continue to weight myself at least once a week and check in at the Maintainers thread. All of those things keep me on track.

I know there are others who have lost the weight and kept it off. Stick with the program and you, too can be one of them! It's all a journey! You can do this!
    Hi there Joysh, I am doing just fine! Thanks for asking. How are you? I mostly lurk the boards these days, most of the old crew are either silent like me or not keeping in touch Doing IP was the best thing I think I ever did to improve my health, it was not only a body reshaping it was a spiritual one as well. The tools you learn while on IP are astounding, if you listen to what your body is telling you, this becomes a lifestyle change not just a temporary fix. Glad to see you still here. Take care
  • Quote: Absolutely beautifully said!

If we use the time on P1 to learn more about our relationship with food and how we got to the weight we started at I think we have a much better chance at maintaining or being able to correct if we go up after reaching goal.

So hang in there tamila - you're doing great!
    Thank you Ruth Ann, I have been watching your progress and you are indeed an inspiration to the people doing the protocol. I also love your new pic Keep on inspiring folks, cause you inspire me also, you have a wonderfully positive attitude! Have a great weekend!
  • Thanks to all the vets for posting here...I am getting more and more excited about making permanent changes to stay healthy and love reading the maintenance threads. I am curious how I can use sensible moderation for certain foods I love but am beyond elated to say a permanent good bye to soda, chips, and French fries among other things.

Tamila: I am also GF & lost 31 lbs on IP... I am in maintenance and I'll tell you now, you can still eat like normal - healthy normal of course, but take a look at the Maintainers threads, especially 'what are you eating' and you will see from our menus that life is still good and food is still enjoyable. It's not a given that you will regain - look at Maile who is 2 years in maint. after losing a ton of weight. You just have to remember that you cannot go back to old food habits and expect to keep a healthy weight - the old habits are what screwed us in the first place. You can do it, but don't stress about something you don't even have to deal with yet... just work on the weight loss - it is not the way you will eat in maintenance - you will have so much more freedom then. Remember, we need to have an 'imbalance' to lose the fat, a 'balanced diet' keeps you where you are when you get to maintenance.

We are all here to help you in your journey
    Liana
  • My coach is SO HELPFUL and talked me off the ledge this morning. She helped me see that I am already fretting over my success or failure in the future. All I have is right now, this choice right in front of me in this moment. That helped me so much, because while I KNOW that hearing her tell me just put it in perspective.
  • Quote: My coach is SO HELPFUL and talked me off the ledge this morning. She helped me see that I am already fretting over my success or failure in the future. All I have is right now, this choice right in front of me in this moment. That helped me so much, because while I KNOW that hearing her tell me just put it in perspective.
    One reason I chose this program, expense and all is the coaching. It is still valuable now. Listen to your coach.
  • Quote: Thank you Ruth Ann, I have been watching your progress and you are indeed an inspiration to the people doing the protocol. I also love your new pic Keep on inspiring folks, cause you inspire me also, you have a wonderfully positive attitude! Have a great weekend!
    Thanks Shathom! I remember reading all the old threads before starting IP and being so inspired by you and your pictures - it was amazing to me that people could actually transform themselves and made me very determined to become a success story. So thank you!

Quote: One reason I chose this program, expense and all is the coaching. It is still valuable now. Listen to your coach.
    Exactly. My coach is fantastic and well worth every penny I spent.