Maintainers Weekly Chat May 19 - May 25

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • I'm bigger than you right now and not even pregnant. Perhaps your perception of "enormous" is just a little bit skewed?
  • Morning all,

Unlike some of you further north, it's about summer here and coats are long gone. CalCounter, you're right, the humidity has been low which is amazing for FL this late in May. I've been resisting turning on the AC to save $ but I think if the humidity comes up by this weekend I will have to. My house gets a lot of afternoon sun, heats up, and takes hours to cool down in the evenings because the air circulation isn't that great. It's getting to that time of year when it's hard for me to deal with if I've been out in the sun all day already.

I had my first heat freak-out of the year yesterday after being out in the sun for about 10 hours for work. BF was frustrating me while trying to cook dinner and I behaved badly. Oh yes, it's that time of year, crankypants Megan over here when she's in the sun all day. I'm going to buy some lemons and cucumbers for my water to encourage me to drink more of it, step up food prep so dinner is fast at hand, and keep up my weekly yoga practices. Those tactics usually help minimize freak-outs.

Poor BF. He said, "I know it's usually my fault, but that wasn't my fault." I admitted it and apologized (after I ate and got my blood sugar under control). Bless his heart. And that after we had such a nice weekend together relaxing and sailing and riding around on our golf cart. We were both off at the same time which is a rarity.

Taryl, I will echo what others have said. You're pregnant! And cute! What would you tell a friend who said that to you in the same situation? I'm sure you wouldn't call her a whale. Be kind to yourself.

Becky, your labor commune sounds like a great way to get everyone's yards in top shape!

Dagmar, what event were the fireworks for? Hope they were nice. I love fireworks!

I'm happy to be in the office today so my head can finish cooling off.
  • Taryl,
    I agree with the others-- it's all in your perception. I feel "huge" right now because my weights up a few pounds. I'm sure no one else would see it. Be kind to yourself.

Sorry you had a freak out with bf, Megan. Glad he was understanding.

I've been frustrated with dh from afar and hope that I will be all sweetness and light when he comes back from China tomorrow. He forgot to include forms for both our taxes and dd's taxes, so the refunds we had been expecting are going to be quite delayed. When he gets back, he has to figure out what he didn't send and send it. It's the first time we didn't use Turbo Tax, and I guess it helps walk you through what to send in.
  • Well that makes me feel a bit better. I've been getting askance looks over this, especially since just two months ago my stomach was as flat as it was ever going to get. So the difference is quite dramatic in person. But if it isn't ridiculously glaring to someone with zero context I'll take it!
  • I decided to reduce not only the junk food going in to my body but the junk media going into my brain. So I signed up for an online course (I think the term is MOOC) in Scandinavian Film. i really enjoyed taking the course and I got a certificate of achievement after grading at the end.

Now I'm taking Behavioural Genetics. Slightly harder particularly since I'm more of an "arts" rather than "sciences" person. I am determined to get through all of the 8 weeks of course material and at least pass all the tests. I seldom challenge myself mentally any more and it's time to firm up those brain "muscles" and trim all that TV "fat" lodged in there.

Dagmar
  • Behavioral genetics? What on earth would that involve, exactly? How the karyotype influences brain chemistry?
  • Quote: Behavioral genetics? What on earth would that involve, exactly? How the karyotype influences brain chemistry?
    This is the intro posted by the prof.

https://class.coursera.org/behaviora...Read_Me_First!

I see now that I should have taken an introductory course in statistics. Had I noticed this I would not have taken the course. I think it interested me because I thought of the "nature/nurture" debate when I saw it and it also looked like something I could get through re quizzes only, no essays or projects etc.

We are on unit 3 this week and reviewing Mendel's work and basic genetic terminology. They have posted a link to a site with an overview of genetics that is aimed at (I'm guessing) 11-13 year-olds - perfect for me!

Dagmar
  • Dagmar, that's so great that you are taking those classes! Keeps away the Alzheimer's if we keep learning! I hope!
  • Taryl, I have definitely heard that the more babies you have the faster you get big. It also depends on your own body. Some of the twin moms I know didn't get big until late and didn't gain much weight, but with my twins I was in maternity pants at about 8 weeks and probably should have been sooner. Anyway, just because something's statistically unlikely doesn't mean it's not going to happen -- heck if I know how I ended up with identical twins! We were shocked!

Dagmar, your classes sound interesting!

Megan, LOL at your BF. Good luck getting through another summer without too many "hangry" incidents!

Michele, I hope your DH can help sort out the tax situation when he gets home.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take the day off tomorrow to go to the member preview day of the new orangutan exhibit at our local zoo. I'm sure it will be packed all summer long, so this might be the best chance to get a slightly less crowded view. On the other hand, there are a lot of members, so it might be packed anyway.
  • Go to the zoo Jessica!!! I love the monkey exhibits! Such fond memories of taking my girls to the zoo.

Taryl-- one of my friends is PG with her third. Her other two are older and I didn't know her when she was PG with them but she swears she barely showed the entire pregnancy. She's not very far along now and she is huge! And no twins...

Hope the morning sickness is abating...
  • Morning sickness has stayed pretty steady but manageable. A few things are triggering, but oh well. We're off for our busy out of house day in a little bit, so hopefully that goes smoothly. We're having a ton of fires here right now and smoke is trapped in the Anchorage basin, so here's to hoping the air quality doesn't bother my kids too much while we're playing today!

Jessica, I hope you went to the zoo, that's always fun!

Dagmar, I bet you'll be just fine even without the intro class. Statistics is really easy and something you can brush up on without much ado. It's not like diving into partial differential equations when you only have a C- in pre-calc, five years prior
  • Quote:
    Dagmar, I bet you'll be just fine even without the intro class. Statistics is really easy and something you can brush up on without much ado. It's not like diving into partial differential equations when you only have a C- in pre-calc, five years prior
    I stopped taking any kind of math classes in high school. I enrolled in one algebra class and was lost within 2 weeks, despite intense tutoring by the teacher and one of the "smart" kids. Same thing with calculus. Never and still don't have any problems doing "arithmetic" using pen and paper but the rest is beyond me.

Just took the most recent course quiz for the second time. Got 9/10 correct, much better than the initial 4/10. The one question I missed? Something to do with stuff squared and ratios and such.

Intelligence is not measured by test scores and aptitude for math alone. Good thing!

Dagmar
  • Another Spelling Bee winner here. In the 5th grade I was ln a Spelling bee.
  • "It's not like diving into partial differential equations when you only have a C- in Pre-calc, 5 years earlier." Boy Taryl, that sounds like the voice of bitter experience to me :>)

Yet another spelling bee champ here. Are we all grown-up geek girls here? Is that the secret of maintenance success, being a good speller? Someone should do a statistical analysis. Dagmar, I'm looking at you.
  • Quote: "It's not like diving into partial differential equations when you only have a C- in Pre-calc, 5 years earlier." Boy Taryl, that sounds like the voice of bitter experience to me :>)

Yet another spelling bee champ here. Are we all grown-up geek girls here? Is that the secret of maintenance success, being a good speller? Someone should do a statistical analysis. Dagmar, I'm looking at you.
    I wouldn't know how to start Andrea. I seem to recall DH had to take a stats course while he was doing his CMA - maybe he can be my consultant?

Dagmar