Which would you choose for Mother's Day?

• Hubby wants to buy my something nice for mother's day. I have 2 things in mind but can't choose. Both are pricey and not a necessity.
    The first is a Garmin GPS. Right now I use my iPhone and the app imapmyrun. I like the app and have been using it for several years. It syncs with my computer and I have no complaints. The iPhone itself is big and I like the idea of the Garmin on my wrist 9way easier) but honestly, I'm not going to be leaving my phone at home anyway so that kind of make the Garmin useless.

The second is a gym membership. The thing is it would just be to use the weights and machines, no cardio. I run outside whenever possible and we own a treadmill. Actually we just bought a nice new one a few months ago. I love it (well, I don't like using a tm, but when I have to this one is great). I have some free weights, but I rarely do them. I have always found that I do better being in the gym environment. Helps me do what I have to do. Also I have like 2-3 rest days from running and I like the idea of being able to still leave the house (the gym is open 24 hours) and workout. Its guaranteed me time. When I stay home to do weights, the kids usually wake up by 6am and I end up stopping. If I'm gone, the do the next best thing and wake up DH lol...But really I don't need a gym membership either. I don't like that its a year contract either. There's no excuse not to do free weights at home other than I don't really like to and would rather use the gym machines.

See how either one is not needed, but I'd like to have them. There's nothing else I really want. I also don't know if DH would be annoyed at the gym membership, because to him owning the treadmill means we don't need to go to the gym. Even the free weights, he doesn't get why I would go to a gym. DH has never lifted weights in a gym or used the machines. He went for like a week about 10 years ago, so I don't believe he really gets that gyms provide many more machines and weight sizes that make weight training a little easier. I think to him, it like "you have some free weights, that's the same thing". I mean I can use them but I just prefer the machines for a lot of things.

Which would you choose?
  • Does the gym offer classes and such? If it does and it isn't extra, that would be the way I would go for sure!! I really enjoy the Yoga classes at mine, and I've just started "Group Power" (video!) and woah is it ever an a$$ kicker!

It is really nice that you have the option to work out at home if you want to, but I find there is so much more variety at the gym. Plus people to help you if you need, plus like you said, it's guaranteed ME time, and you can't really go wrong with that.

The Garmin would be pretty cool, but if you are going to be taking your phone with you anyway... I see how it could be sort of redundant.

BTW its totally Ok to WANT things you don't NEED
  • There are 2 gyms by us and the one offers SO much more like classes, pool even childcare if I wanted to sometimes take the kids, but it doesn't open until 6am so I cant use it. I have to be home by 6a. The other is 24 hours but doesn't offer any other stuff. I'm a little bummed about it just being the gym.

Yeah the garmin would be nice because its sound fun to have and play with. I think they are nice because I could look at my pace/distance easily. With the iPhone I have to unlock it as it shuts off (not off off but the screen goes dark) after a few minutes But I'm pretty sure that is a setting I can change when I run. As long as I have my phone with me, it is kind of pointless to have the garmin.

I'm leaning towards the gym too. And actually, the year cost of the gym would end up being cheaper than the garmin.

I always feel like I'm wasting $ buying something that I really don't need or can do without. Especially if someone else is paying for it!
  • Ah yeah, and I bet the price difference between those gyms is crazy too! I went to a cheap gym that was 24 hours (I went at 5 am for a little while too, that got old FAST for me) I loved the price and location (smack dab between work and home!) But I found that it was too small, there were too many people, not enough machines and they were CONSTANTLY out of order and wouldn't be fixed for weeks. It was more of a hassle to work out there for me than what it was worth. That being said, If you are planning on going before the crack of dawn, you will likely have most of the place to yourself!

Personally, I have no regrets now that I have upgraded. I even signed up for the most basic intro package with a personal trainer. Working with her has given me SO much confidence in the gym. I can strut into the free weights area and not give a damn, because now I actually know what I am doing! It's not cheap. At all. But I have decided I'm worth it. And I'd probably just find a way to spend that money on snacks if I wasn't at the gym all the time

I'd never leave my gym if it had a pool. It's got a steam room that I LOVE though!

I was just looking at Garmins page and I didn't realize they made an activity tracker too! It looks pretty cool actually (I have a fitbit force, and I'm digging it!) Plus it pairs with a HRM (a feature that I wish mine had!) Cool!

ETA - Sometimes you just have to treat yourself... Or let someone treat you. That's kinda what Mothers day is all about right
  • What did you choose? I vote gym. I have a treadmill at work, see a personal trainer 2x a week and have exercise videos, equipment, free weights etc at home and I joined to gym too. Mostly because of the different machines. I get bored easy and I know my body gets used to the workouts making them less effective. I have to change it up constantly. So the gym helped me do that.
  • I chose the gym but I'm going to wait to join. I go back to work in a few weeks, and then I start a class in July. I told DH I want to see how my schedule is before commiting to a contract. He was just like joining, you'll fit it in. But I want to wait. He bought me some Jillian Michaels dvds which I started (awesome btw)...if I don't join the gym, I might purchase an expensive home worlout dvd.
  • good idea. Love the Jillian DVD's...kicks my butt every time! Enjoy :-)