25/30 Pound Goal - Let's Do It Together - Thread3

You're on Page 8 of 36
Go to
  • Hey Jude, enjoy the graduation. Hope you find something to wear. Hope you have a terrific week too.

Andi-good job at staying focused!!
  • Just wanted to pop in and spread a little on everyone! We can do this! Stay focused, make good choices and have a great week!

Renee
  • Don't Quit
    Don't Quit

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.

When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    and forget all about being healthy and thin.

So What! You went over your points a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!

It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.

It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."

It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.

But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.

And learn too late when the damage is done,
    that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
    but facing each challenge will help you grow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
    the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.

When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
    If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!

- Author Unknown

• I've been reading some older posts and and come to realize that I, like Lucinda, must be sugar/carb addicted in spite of severly limiting them in my diet. I'm going to try to eliminate them for a while, and see if the weight comes off if I only eat veggies, some fruit, and small portions of lean protein. I also like to drink wine in the evening, which is totally empty calories!

Changes are hard when they've become habits. <sigh>

Andi
  • Thanks for the inspirational poem!
  • Corinna - here's a link to another favorite recipe. For some reason it's no longer on the PPK website, but I was able to find it. I'll have to copy it for myself too. I also realized you were looking for soups without beans and I suggested a split pea soup which is a legume - duh. I avoid them too. This one is really excellent but I don't know about it's calorie count. I've made it with butternut squash too.

http://ieatveg.net/2010/07/24/spicy-...-coconut-soup/
  • Only One Little Pound
    Only One Pound

Hello, do you know me?

If you don't, you should.
    I'm a pound of fat,
    And I'm the HAPPIEST pound of fat that you would ever want to meet.

Want to know why?
    It's because no one ever wants to lose me;
    I'm ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!

Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds, or fifteen pounds,
    but never only one.

So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.

Then I add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice it.
    That is, until I've grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.

Yes, it's fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT, left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying, "Oh, I only lost one pound."
    For you see, if you do this, you'll encourage others to keep me around because they'll think I'm not worth losing.

And, I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you.

Happy Days!!!
    After all, I'm ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

- Author Unknown
  • Hello all!

Went to my son's convocation ceremony on Wednesday - I am so proud of him.
    He was heading down the wrong path in his life for a while, but he has turned himself around, and has set himself on a new path with clarity and determination.
    I managed to find a skirt in my closet that fit me beautifully - one I haven't been able to wear for almost 2 years!! But I still got to buy new tops and SHOES

Corinna - I really appreciate your inspirational posts - Don't Quit really hit home with me.

Andi - I have cut out just about all carbs, and that seems to be working for me. The odd fruit is about all that I get.

Lizzie - I too have a salt tooth.. I take after my Irish granny - she always said she could eat anything with salt on it. She loved to tell the story about how after saying this one time, her kids went out to the pasture and came back and presented her with a cow patty on a plate.

I have been trying to cut back on the salt as I tend to hold water after I overindulge.

Jude
  • Down .4 lbs. Not much, but still in the right direction. Have a wonderful week everyone!
  • My weigh-in shows I am holding fast to my current weight. That is good because it shows I can maintain it and it is not just a fluctuation.

Good job Renee!!! Your still losing!!!

Jude-sounds like you have a lot to be happy about...your son turning his life around, your son's graduation, and you fitting into those old clothes. That's wonderful. This is a good year for you.
  • Some more thoughts
    When you get to a plateau, think of it as a landing on the stairway to your goal. And maintenance is a lifelong plateau, so a bit of "rehearsal" for maintenance isn't the worst thing in the world.

"My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today."

"Don't sacrifice your future for a momentary pleasure"

"The greatest thing you have is the 24 hours in front of you.
    The past is gone;
    the future is distant.
    Today you CAN succeed.
    Set a goal you can achieve in the next 24 hours."

• Bernstein is my guru - have his book right next to me. I had been pre-diabetic for many years, did not do much about it. Finally got to the point that one more tenth on my A1C and I would be officially diabetic. That was in March. Only one slip up since then - 1/2 a pizza - and my sugar went soaring. I have a relative who "only" had Type 2, did what the doctor said, got on medicine but did not change diet much, and has lost sight in one eye and problems in the other, looking at amputating a toe. So I do not play with this any more. Did not realize that pre-diabetes causes problems too. My relative was not taught what to eat, was told to take the medicine. Now on insulin pump. Even the U.S. Diabetes Association tells people to eat much higher carbs than anyone needs, especially a diabetic. Off my soapbox - but it is truly a tragedy what is happening with diabetes, facts and education here in the U.S. I wonder if it's different in Australia, Canada, other countries?
  • I make a big pot of soup every week to freeze and take to work for lunch. Always beans, chicken or beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery and then whatever veggies I have on hand - brussel sprouts, broccoli, squash, maybe a bit of the frozen mixed vegetables - peas/green beans/carrots/limas, spinach or kale. I have an herb garden in my kitchen now so fresh oregano, basil, thyme, etc. always goes in my soups and salads. I don't use any broths any more, found the broth it makes is wonderful.
  • I like the "a plateau is just a landing on the stairway to your goal." Very nice Corinna!
  • Weigh in - down 2.6 lbs

Renee - you are still moving in the right direction

Corinna - You are so close to your goal that maintaining is a very good thing now, I think.