May Chat

You're on Page 3 of 16
Go to
  • Carol Sue that's scary, the heart attacks, her not changing her plan because a doctor told her to it. My grandmother was that way she only believed what the doctor this one doctor told her and when he passed we had to fight with her to go to a new doctor and it was a mess. She wouldn't listen to anyone and she passed only believing what the former doctor had told her. My Mom was kind of the same way until they told her something (I forget actually what) and I told her that's it find a new doctor now. They are making you ill and each time you go they find something new. She went to a new dr and they took her off most of that medicine. My Mom is tiny she weigh about 105.

If you start out slow but steady, eventually you will work yourself up to what they are suggesting. If you try to jump in with both feet you might get discouraged. If you are constantly thinking that what you are doing is not enough, you will give up. Instead, think that what you did today was better than what you did yesterday. <--- love it

You don't know anything about me. You don't know my medical conditions or my limitations." <-- I would tell them this, I guarantee they'd never say it to anyone else again, because you made them think, which they obviously weren't doing

I read some where recently that we should get up every couple of hours and move. I didn't know that. Says it's better for the heart than sitting for hours at a time.

I ate it at a restaurant so I don't know anything about it. Do you have to cook it? or do you just peel it and eat it? I've also been interested in egg plant but I have never had it.

on sat fat ... I keep hearing about how good coconut oil is for you. Then I read a thread that said look at the saturated fat? I thought ok I have a jar of this stuff and it's not cheap. Also on margarine (Promise) vs butter ... my goodness what can we eat? That is so true about Kale or any cooked green for that matter. A bag of baby spinach says three cups is a serving, but cooked you do good to have a cup and a half IMO filling up on veggies nope you can't go wrong I don't drink as much milk as I use to and I have now even taken to drinking plain low fat soy milk. But I would have a cup of milk if I wanted Olive Gardens salad always has the dressing in it with the croutons. You're right without it it's low calorie. But no one that I know dislikes their house salad so voila there's your high calories on that big plate I never thought to dip my salad into the dressing, that's a great idea

Thanks Kris I blew it some how ... I'm back into the 160's today ***light bulb went off thank you*** I complained on another thread about being bloated yesterday and the night before, it was the ACV. I love this thread, thanks

Ok as I said above I was bloated yesterday and the night before and could not figure out what on earth was going on. I thought TOM was coming again
    I had not have the ACV in a while because I just forgot/stopped idk. So that had to be it but I'm still a little bloated today also. So with that said scale is up 2lbs to 161.6, rings aren't tight but not spinning like usual either and I am a little uncomfortable in the tummy area
  • Good morning everyone!

I've got to start working on meal planning for the week. I'm horrible at it, hate planning ahead when it comes to food - I am more of a free spirit when it comes to dinner - but it has just become so stressful to me lately. 4 pm comes around and I am scrambling. Now that I utilize boxed products so much less I really cannot wait til the last minute to throw something together. So, I am going to work on that some today while my hubby has my daughter out picking up a birthday gift for her friend's party tonight.

I also am still going to bed too late. I am so tired every morning. I'm not a morning person so that doesn't help but really I just stay up too late. I like my extra time after my daughter goes to bed and I can finally think but it's becoming a real problem for me. Every morning I swear I'm going to go to bed earlier that night and finally change, lol! And every night I push the clock, oh just a few more minutes! I'm on my iPad too much at night too, surfing the web (and 3FC). That is definitely not helping. The hubby watches movies and stuff at night. Sometimes we watch a show together but mostly he plays video games and watches TV while I clean the kitchen or bake or just sit around looking at my iPad. What an exciting life, huh?

Today I woke up and was not as hungry as usual so I didn't have my eggs. What I did have was perfectly fine in terms of being "filling" but now, I'm feeling hungry like I wish I'd had my eggs. Weird! I guess I'll have a big lunch! My weight today was great, I am very close to hitting the 20 lb mark!

This birthday party tonight is at dinnertime but I just looked at the place online and it looks like the food will be pizza, soda and cake. Yep.
  • Quote: I'm back into the 160's today ***light bulb went off thank you*** I complained on another thread about being bloated yesterday and the night before, it was the ACV. I love this thread, thanks

Ok as I said above I was bloated yesterday and the night before and could not figure out what on earth was going on. I thought TOM was coming again
    I had not have the ACV in a while because I just forgot/stopped idk. So that had to be it but I'm still a little bloated today also. So with that said scale is up 2lbs to 161.6, rings aren't tight but not spinning like usual either and I am a little uncomfortable in the tummy area
    Hang in there Rennie just give it a little time and you'll be back in the 150s - that scale likes to bounce around and get us all flustered. Little bugger!
  • Quote: Shannon - I used to eat whole bags of chips etc also. I live alone now but when my son was still at home that was really embarrassing. Have not done that in 2 months, been on the low carb train, UNTIL LAST NIGHT! Ate almost a whole pizza! I was craving it all day. Plus I was tired from lack of sleep all week and that pizza just called my name all day long. You know how you think you deserve a reward after a long week??

Well FBS was 204 this morning! The highest it has ever been ever! What a shock! I started drinking water, ate some nuts and cheese and got on the treadmill and now it is 188. My A1C has always been very high 6's, not into the 7's. So it's like I'm really realizing for the first time that I have a major problem with carbs, not just borderline anymore. I cannot play with this again.

Shannon again - I agree about the BPA even though your eggs procedure sounds so efficient.
    Kris I don't think pizza likes you! I have not had pizza in over a month and I've never tested after pizza. I may end up eating some at the birthday party tonight. If I do I will definitely test to see what it does. I know that I get an elevated reading after pasta. I've never had a reading that high but I'm much earlier in my progression than you but I remember the first time I saw a reading in the 150s and was like WHAT?! I had no idea my glucose was rising that high, the highest I had seen it at fasting was maybe 117 so I figured that was as high as it ever went, LOL!

I am really bummed about the BPA - I love my eggs like that and it is so easy PLUS while it boils I have 13 minutes to clean my kitchen and I don't even have to watch the eggs....it has really been a life saver. I made scrambled eggs yesterday and it was not the same, today I was so sad I didn't even try to make eggs. I need to find a substitute method because that breakfast has really helped me start my day off right.
  • Quote: Rennie, my step-daughter talked about guacamole so much I had to try it, and I liked it. But to make it just for myself, it goes bad before I can eat it all. I will buy 1 avacado once in a while but I can't eat them fast enough to keep them in the house. DH won't go near them. LOL

It's the same way with milk. When I was first diagnosed, they had me drinking 3 cups of skim milk per day. I loved it, and I felt that it helped me satisfy my hunger and lose weight. Now everyone is saying people should never drink cows milk. LOL If I drink it now, I feel ashamed, as if I smoked a cigarette. A cup of milk can stave off my hunger for a long time.
    Carol Sue I puffy heart LOVE guacamole! I buy 3-5 avocados a week and I am the only one here who eats them! I am not a milk drinker but hubby is, I buy 2-3 gallons a week for him (Olivia drinks soy milk - she had tummy problems as a baby and though I've tried, I can't get her to drink regular milk). I like milk okay just have never loved it. I did hear one time though that milk was just liquid carbs. Since I don't drink it I've never tested after. Have you? I've just always wondered about that statement since it does have protein and fat. Hubby drinks 2%. He used to drink skim and I finally told him I wouldn't buy it anymore - I just don't think it is very filling and was hoping he would drink less if it was more filling (not sure if that has worked, lol!)
  • Milk and pizza send my blood sugars outta the world crazy. Pasta does too but potatoes dont seem to bother as much. I dont like milk anyway so there's no harm there.

Ive had blood sugars as low as 38 in the night. Killer wakes me up right away the minute she senses it. She gets soooooo annoying but then I know to check it right away. As soon as Im up and eating glucose she backs off and just watches me. She's priceless....and self taught.
  • Shannon you and your husband sound like me and mine. One is on the sofa one is in front of the tv. My husband turns the tv as soon as he gets up, drives me nuts because I like quiet. Even if he gets on the computer he will turn the tv on. I can stay in here all day and never turn it on, unless I hear something on the radio news that I want more information on . I go to bed way too late also ... I try to go to bed by 10 but most times it just doesn't happen. 3FC has consumed me for so many years (as long as I am working on me anyway). My kids have told me to get off 3FC. Before that we all use to play farmtown and cafe world on FB then we just stopped. On the subject of pizza, I eat one slice with the crust then a second without it. The kids say it's wasteful but it helps me so idc, I'm satisfied and it's only one slice that they would probably leave anyway

Restless, you said Killer is self taught. How is she sensing the low bs? Is there an alarm/monitor that you don't hear? Was she brought in as a service animal? This is great and quite interesting to me.
  • Kris, I can't do pizza. It spikes me so bad, and that kills me. I love pizza and DH gets it every weekend. Sometimes I will just pull the cheese and topping off and eat just them, but it's not the same.

Restless, I have never tested after drinking milk. I might be surprised.

I would like to have a service dog who would alert me when I was eating too much. LOL I don't mean to make a joke of this. I know that service animals save lives and are essential to giving people a normal life.

Rennie - You cut the avacado long ways and pull out the pit. Then you can slice it, or scoop the pulp out with a spoon, and it can be eaten as it is. It has to feel a little soft to the touch but not mushy. I have bought them and cut one open before it was ready, and also cut one open that way way too ripe for my liking! I just mash it up, add some lemon or lime juice, garlic and some salsa. There are a lot of recipes online but I just like to keep it simple. It's not something I would want to eat more than once a week.

I never knew anything about coconut oil, but I just googled it and it IS high in sat fat, but no trans fats. I use some butter in cooking but never use margarine. I use Smart Balance spread for some things since it has no trans fats, but it's not good to cook with. I think even Promise has trans fats. I buy Parkay spray and use that on vegetables. It has no calories, no fat no nothing! LOL In fact, I don't know what it does have, but it gives the veggies a buttery taste. A woman at work used to spray it on her toast. I don't know if it made it soggy. I don't use a lot of any kind of oil because I don't fry, except potatoes for DH. I'm very confused on which is good, which is bad. I do know not to use lard, which I grew up on. When my mother was a kid they used to spread lard on bread and sprinkle sugar on it.

Shannon
    , some women at work used to microwave their eggs in a ceramic bowl. Could you try that instead of the plastic bags? Also, are you sure the bags actually contain BPA?
  • Restless - That is some cat you have!

Shannon -I don't think our diabetes stories are very different. I've always been diagnosed as borderline (high 6 A1C) and my highest BFS was 128.

This 204 BFS I had this morning after lots of pizza last night blew me away! I wonder if being low carb for the last 2 months made me even more sensitive to carbs. Does anyone else have that experience?
  • Quote: Shannon

Restless, you said Killer is self taught. How is she sensing the low bs? Is there an alarm/monitor that you don't hear? Was she brought in as a service animal? This is great and quite interesting to me.
    >snipped<

Ive had Killer since she was about 6 weeks old. Its been her and I almost exclusively alone for most of the last 6 years. My Fiance' drove semi so he was seldom home so her and I bonded completely. As she got older and we bonded so strong she developed this "6th sense" she has all on her own. They say when your blood sugar goes too high or too low your scent changes and your breath will smell different too. She must smell it. Most nights she sleeps curled up (as much as a 17.7 lb ball of chunkiness can curl) on my chest with her lil butt nesting in the crook of my elbow so Im sure she can smell it. The same with my O2 which is notoriously bad during the night ( I use a BiPap with O2 bled in)..when it gets too low (< 85%) she will alert me by being uber annoying. She taps my chin with her nose or paws, she'll pull my hair and if all else fails she'll head butt me. She can do the same during the day if my blood sugar drops. She will hound me deaf with her meowing. She gets louder and more persistent til I respond.

She's super in tune to me on every level. If the fiance' and I are talking or if Im on the phone and I raise my voice, she comes running. She'll sit at my feet and tap me on the leg meowing the whole time til I stop, pet her and talk to her telling her Im ok. It might sound goofy but it's true.

This cat plays catch, she'll fetch balls, she rolls over, plays dead, says please, sits pretty, and answers when I call her no matter where she is. I can tell her to "go get Dad up" and she immediately goes to the bedroom door and starts meowing, getting louder and louder til she sees him move. If she comes to me and meows or gets up on the desk and bugs me, I tell her to go tell dad she's hungry. She'll jump down off the desk, look back at me and then run into the living room and sit at his feet meowing til he gets up and feeds her.

When people come over, even my own kids and grand kids, she places herself between me and them and meows or hisses at em if they come too close. The door bell rings and she runs for the front door and meows. If she sees me get a bottle of water out of the fridge, she follows me everywhere til I open it and give her the first drink. She loves to drink cold water out of a bottle but she likes to hold the bottle too.

Id be lost without her
  • Quote: Restless - That is some cat you have!

Shannon -I don't think our diabetes stories are very different. I've always been diagnosed as borderline (high 6 A1C) and my highest BFS was 128.

This 204 BFS I had this morning after lots of pizza last night blew me away! I wonder if being low carb for the last 2 months made me even more sensitive to carbs. Does anyone else have that experience?
    In that case we sound the same, yowzers, then I guess that 204 really did blow you away. This is going to sound crazy but now I kind of want to eat pizza so I can test. I find that seeing high numbers after certain foods actually helps me to understand why I must say no to them. It also helps me be able to concretely tell my husband I cannot have them. Not sure if that makes sense. And as far as being more sensitive, I think so. I did not have my meter last weekend when I ate two meals back to back that had bread/potatoes in them but I felt awful. I could definitely tell I had eaten off plan. I used to eat that stuff all the time and felt fine.
  • Quote: Kris, I can't do pizza. It spikes me so bad, and that kills me. I love pizza and DH gets it every weekend. Sometimes I will just pull the cheese and topping off and eat just them, but it's not the same.
    My hubby loves pizza. I have noticed him eating it more now that I am not eating it. He eats two per week during lunch (Palermos thin crusts we buy at the store) and then if he takes my daughter out without me, they always get pizza now. LOL!

Quote:
    Rennie - You cut the avacado long ways and pull out the pit. Then you can slice it, or scoop the pulp out with a spoon, and it can be eaten as it is. It has to feel a little soft to the touch but not mushy. I have bought them and cut one open before it was ready, and also cut one open that way way too ripe for my liking! I just mash it up, add some lemon or lime juice, garlic and some salsa. There are a lot of recipes online but I just like to keep it simple. It's not something I would want to eat more than once a week.
    I am a guacamole queen. I eat it almost everyday. Sounds awful but honestly, the fats in it are good for you and I'm losing weight so obviously my body is fine with it. That being said, today was "Attack of the Avocado". I cut my finger while trying to remove the pit (I put my knife right into it and pull it out usually but today I missed the pit, oops!), then I dropped half of it on the floor, then I dropped the outer shell on my foot and got my shoe and sock all green. It was crazy! I do the same thing though, I add a little lime or lemon juice to it (keeps it from browning as badly), minced garlic, a tiny bit of salsa, sometimes I also add red onion and chopped tomatoes, and cilantro if I have it (I big puffy heart love cilantro too and often have it in the house). And, I salt it, to me it tastes better with salt.

Quote:
    Shannon[/B], some women at work used to microwave their eggs in a ceramic bowl. Could you try that instead of the plastic bags? Also, are you sure the bags actually contain BPA?
    I am only assuming the bags contain BPA after reading some folks on 3FC posting about Ian's canned fish obsession and questioning him about BPA, and someone mentioned plastic. I should do some more research. I am going to google and see what I can find out about the bags and about an alternative way of cooking them. I just like not having to "babysit" the eggs while they cook. With an almost 4 year old there are constant interruptions when I cook, it is the one thing I don't worry about walking away from for a moment.
  • Well, this is going to be a flyby. Strange I wrote a post earlier today with a few Indies with a promise to return and do for some other Indies and it seems to have disappeared. Sorry I'm too tired to write it again. I will try to do it tomorrow.

However, I want to say to Restless. So glad hat you have joined us.

My fbs was 115 this morning and I was down .2 lbs which is better than up. So still at 224. I've exercised a lot this week plus been doing a lot of house cleaning. I'll be doing that more and more as I get ready for our trip. I've got to get my closet cleaned out to get to our suitcases so that will finally get organized.

Still have a load of clothes to do so I'll wish y'all a good evening and get it done. I'll catch y'all tomorrow when things settle here after church.

Goodnight.
  • So, I blew my diet up tonight at the birthday party. I dedicated my body to science to see what would happen, LOL! I passed on the soda but then ate 3 slices pizza (super skinny slices so this was probably like 1.5 regular slices, a cupcake, scoop of chocolate m&m ice cream and small slice of cake. I could literally feel the change in my body and really did not want anymore sugar halfway through the cake. Eating started at 6:30. Got home around 7:40 and started mowing grass. Mowed entire yard quick as I could since daylight was fading. Went to my daughter's bedroom to see if she was sleeping (NOT!) and saw it was 8:30 so I ran to my meter - 139. If I hadn't mowed the yard it probably would have been more like 150 I imagine. So, there you have it. I might check again at 9:30 to see if it goes down or keeps rising. I'll let you know.
  • Wow! I retested at 9:30 and it was 169. I have never seen such a high. This explains alot to me. I used to eat like that alot. Very eye opening.