What's the healthiest thing you can eat at McDonald's?

• Obviously I would prefer not to eat there at all, but I'm going to be out today all evening starting at about 5 pm. Hubby says we'll probably stop there for dinner, and I thought my best bet would be to plan ahead what I'm going to have. Suggestions?

Best idea I can come up with right now is a hamburger and apples. (I wouldn't actually eat the caramel they usually come with if I did this.)
  • Their site says that their Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken has 230 calories - that's pretty good.
  • Bases on WW points plus, a salad with grilled chicken and one of the following dressings is healthiest:

Southwest
    Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Italian
  • The most filling and nutritious meal for the amount of calories it contains is likely the Premium Southwest Salad With Grilled Chicken w/ Southwest Dressing. Even with the dressing, the salad is only 390 calories. It contains approximately 28 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. Its pretty tasty too!

Add on a Fruit and Yogurt Parfait for only 150 calories and you have a well-balanced meal at only 540 calories.
  • ice cubes? :P
  • Quote: The most filling and nutritious meal for the amount of calories it contains is likely the Premium Southwest Salad With Grilled Chicken w/ Southwest Dressing. Even with the dressing, the salad is only 390 calories. It contains approximately 28 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. Its pretty tasty too!
    Agreed. It's often my on the road emergency meal when we travel long distances. I've also eaten a McDouble without the bread for 230 calories.
  • I am going to McDonalds today as well. There is a party at mine today for the kids. I am going to get the Bacon Ranch Salad with grilled chicken. It is only 230 with out dressing and 410 with the Ranch dressing. Of course it is less calories with a less calorie dressing but I made sure I could support the extra calories with what I have already eaten. I will drink a glass of water and maybe a parfait if I want a treat. It is 150 with granola and only 130 without granola and oh so good.
  • I'm so jealous. I wish McDonalds in the UK had a range of diet choice food.
  • Quote: ice cubes? :P

lol pretty much
  • What did you end up getting?

I'm a little late to the party but I do like the Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken Wrap. It's only 360 calories and is pretty yummy, and is my go-to meal whenever we hit Mickey D's. It's also easier to eat if I'm on the go than a salad is and even has some veggies on it. I'll also get the Fruit & Yogurt parfait sometimes for 150 calories, or a side salad with the balsamic vinaigrette at only 50 calories.

I've found I can eat just about anywhere as long as I do a little research.
  • Quote: What did you end up getting?

I'm a little late to the party but I do like the Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken Wrap. It's only 360 calories and is pretty yummy, and is my go-to meal whenever we hit Mickey D's. It's also easier to eat if I'm on the go than a salad is and even has some veggies on it. I'll also get the Fruit & Yogurt parfait sometimes for 150 calories, or a side salad with the balsamic vinaigrette at only 50 calories.

I've found I can eat just about anywhere as long as I do a little research.
    LOL, actually when dinner time came hubby told me that he had been using "McDonald's" as a generic term for fast food, much in the same way that "Coke" means any sort of soda in the South. We ended up going to a sub sandwich place called Jimmy John's, and I had their shorter (8 inch, I think?) turkey sub.
  • I think in general it is healthy to not only focus on calories. I understand this is about McDonalds and people understand it isn't the healthiest food.

But to me I focus on carbs and avoiding processed foods and all those chemicals. I haven't counted calories once this past year.

I think this is an excellent discussion. But for me making a choice it is about carbs and as whole foods as possible. So if I eat there I suppose a salad would be best and then the least processed dressing possible.

The burgers when I eat there were HIGHLY addictive. I think they have food engineers doing who knows what to enhance that.
  • Diamondgeog, absolutely they are addictive, and absolutely that is chemically done and deliberate. I found out about that by reading a very informative and entertaining book called Fast Food Nation