Starting to wonder about phasing off...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey guys, I'd love some advice!

I've been on IP for almost three months and have lost just under 30 pounds. Pretty stoked about it, although I had initially hoped to reach my target by now. It's still 10-20 pounds away, depending on whether I am happy at 140 or still feel like I'd like to get to 130 again.

I haven't cheated and have had a reasonably good time and have tried lots of new recipes and foods. I definitely have not gotten rid of the desire to munch and munch though, but not sure if that ever really goes away or if you just learn that you don't have to give in to it.

Anyway, I'm really starting to want a glass of wine, and to have some chocolate, and cheese, and fruit.... LOL. Not sure if yesterday was just too much for me with all the Easter treats around (SO tempting!!) or if it's just time to start phasing off the diet.

So, should I stick it out for another month? I know this is something only I can ultimately answer, but maybe there are folks out there that have felt the same way and done one thing or another??

Really, another month is nothing, but I wonder if because I'm really starting to want some of those things I can't have now, if I should just phase off and then if need be go back to P1 at a later date?

Or am I being a wimp and I should just suck it up?? LOL.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • I would stay on because I imagine there will be some weight gain when you phase off... Like you said, another month really isn't that much more ... Good luck to you!!!
  • Quote: Anyway, I'm really starting to want a glass of wine, and to have some chocolate, and cheese, and fruit.... LOL.
    I'd say the fact that you're having these cravings is the best reason to stay ON the diet. Are you certain you are now in the mindset where you could eat these foods in moderation? Or would you indulge too much and find yourself 30lbs heavier again?

In a weird way, I am grateful I had 100+ pounds to lose, because it's given me the time I needed (nearly a year) to figure out my issues with food and come up with the right plan and mindset to hopefully maintain my weight loss.

It's possible you've already figured those things out. But if you haven't, you might want to take at least another month to work on them. And like you said, maybe it's just the holidays that are causing your cravings. The holidays will be over in a couple of hours. Hang in there!
  • Food for thought, thanks guys!

I have a hard time just having one IP bar. LOL. To be honest, Jen, I really don't know if I am in the right mindset. Drat.

How did you come up with a plan for yourself? What does it entail?
  • Hi JanMarie,

I would not phase off to satisfy a craving. That being said, how did you chose your goal weight? How do you feel at your weight now?
  • Quote: Hi JanMarie,

I would not phase off to satisfy a craving. That being said, how did you chose your goal weight? How do you feel at your weight now?
    Hi Slipfree,

I was 130 in my 20s and had a very healthy lifestyle. I gained a bit when I returned to university and "discovered" how good beer and nachos were!! LOL and then had lots of issues in my early 30s that lead me to self-medicate with alcohol and food.

I'm feeling so much better about how I look in pictures now and do not feel frumpy like I did at my heaviest, but know that I definitely could lose more as I only just made it to the average zone of body fat % from being at risk.

I told myself when I started IP that I'd get to 140 and see how I looked and felt and then decide if I wanted to go further or not.
  • Hi,

I think that goal weights have a lot to do with personal preference once you hit the healthy range. I am shooting for 155 but I am in my late 40s.

When I am struggling to stay OP, I spend some time reflecting on what brought me to IP. I make a list of all of the positive effects that losing the weight has had on my life. I focus on all of the pounds gone. Then I refocus on my goal by reminding myself the reasons for making it to my goal weight.

Hope this helps some.
  • I would recommend to take another month, as mentioned, because you're going to gain a bit back, plus it will give you "planning" time for phasing off. However, whenever you do it, phase off properly. I felt great and did not phase off properly. I didn't "reset" my system that the P3 and P4 help you do. Needless to say, the weight came back with a "plus" so I'm starting again. It's harder to do it a second time around. You're so close... one more month will not make a difference in the big scope of life.
  • Thanks for the advice IP43. I may as well, right? Good luck to you too.

That's a great idea Slipfree... I'm going to work on a list tonight. I hope it will refocus me for the last push.
  • In February of 2013 I started I P at 197, lost approximately 30 pounds, phase off, but never really understood phase 4. I maintained through the summer but once I strayed I could not stop myself. I gained the 30 plus another 20 back. It has been harder this time. So from my experience, I would suggest meeting your goals so you don't have to go through this again. The fact that you are so close but want to phase off for cravings is a little scary to me. Take some time to make a plan for maintenance. I wish you luck in your journey.
  • getnlean,
    I had just read that some coaches suggest phasing off if the client knows she/he will cheat, and then go back on when the will is strong again, instead of cheating and hating her/himself for it, and I thought that could be an option for me for the summer. That's all.
  • Quote: getnlean,
    I had just read that some coaches suggest phasing off if the client knows she/he will cheat, and then go back on when the will is strong again, instead of cheating and hating her/himself for it, and I thought that could be an option for me for the summer. That's all.
    I hope it works for you I was not successful at it.
  • My suggestions is to simmer on it for a couple of days. I did phase 1 back in October-December 2012 and got to 135 which was 5lbs over my goal but I was ready...ready for that wine, cheese, fruit. What I have done over the last year and a half is constantly monitor, and that has mean doing some reboots here and there, but now I am at 130 my original goal and my path of phasing off when I did and maintaining and then losing here and there has worked.

If you are ready, it's time and that's OK that you are not at goal RIGHT NOW and just because you phase off and adjust to maintenance doesn't mean that you will gain it back, will never go back to finish off the rest of the weight, etc.

Learning maintenance is a challenge..an exciting one! For me, taking my time to get to the finish line has been OK. I was already at a place where I felt so much better and looked great.

Good luck!
  • Quote: I would stay on because I imagine there will be some weight gain when you phase off... Like you said, another month really isn't that much more ... Good luck to you!!!
    I lost weight phasing off.
  • I considered phasing off for summer but I realized I was doing it so I could "enjoy" the summer. I'm obviously not ready to monitor my eating yet. And I think I will be more successful to just keep going with what is working.