Yipee for this site!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi guys!

I am so happy to have found this site and hope to buddy up with some gals in here! I had to go on the Weight Watchers website to get some support but the only problem is.....I am not a WW lady! I am following my own little plan and am quite happy about it. I am originally form Montréal but am now living in Ottawa. By the way, reading through the posts, I have to say that you girls rock!! Hopefully, I can be part of the gang too!

Talk to you soon!

Sacha
  • Welcome Sacha!
    I, too, am relatively new to these boards and also love to read the WW boards....but am doing my own thing, not WW! See any similiarities??? (-; I'm glad you're here!
    What are you doing/what's your plan for losing the weight? What kinds of exercise do you do? And about how much weight do you have lose (if you don't mind me asking)?
    I'm a teacher, so I'm totally free this month and am taking advantage by getting in a good workout each day. I'm doing cardio pretty much every day (elliptical machine, treadmill incline walk, outdoor walks, etc), and strength training about every other day. It's working, so far! As far as eating, I'm journaling what I eat, but not strictly counting calories or fat or anything yet. I'm just mentally keeping tabs on it. I concentrate on getting enough low-fat protein and plenty of fruits & veggies, while drinking lots of water. I guess you could call it a "modified personal version of WW" or something similiar.
    Anyway, welcome to the board! We can encourage and motivate each other, all the way to success!

Jen
  • Hi Jen!

First of all, thanks for replying! I am a teacher too, so I am off too! I teach French as a second language, not always easy.

I do not know how much I weigh and I refuse to know it. I'm really stubborn you see . I've decided that when I will be wearing size 14 I will weigh myself. When I started my own little program in May, I was wearing size 20 and was really upset with myself. I didn't understand why I let myself go that way. I am now size 16, I just bought a jean skirt at the Gap yesterday! I am really happy about that. My goal is to never enter a plus size store ever again and to be healty. You think I am too drastic?

My program is easy: Reduce the portions, the calories and the fat and exercise. Stop drinking iced tea (snif snif) and other juices and stop the junk. Discover new alternatives and be happy with my new lifestyle!

When I first started, I had a personal trainer 3 times a week. We started with power walk and then we jogged. It was wonderful but quite expensive! Right now, i am on my own. Powerwalking and doind aerobics. In september, I will start squash and volley-ball with my finacé.

What is it that you find the hardest right now? For me I think it is to see people around me eating whatever they want whenever thay want....And of course I can't! That's life, I guess...

Sorry if the post was soooo long but I wanted you to know a little bit more about myself.

Keep on the good work Jen and stay motivated..We can do it!!!

Sacha
  • Welcome Sacha, Hello Jen

I have been slowly loosing weight over the last 2 years (down approx. 75#s). I started using WW, but am now loosing weight on my own. This web-site works quite similarly to attening WW meetings....you get support and ideas from others who are working on achieving a healthy weight, as well.

Sacha, I am currently living in Ottawa, too (although, I am originally from western Canada). I am headed to the "Just For Laughs" Festival in Montréal this weekend. Anything I must absolutely see while I'm there? I mostly plan to shop!

Looking forward to "chatting" with both of you!

Kris
    261-188-155
  • Hi Kris,

Nice...You are in Ottawa too! Ottawa is really nice but Montréal is where my heart belongs. Is it your first time in Montréal? The Just for laughs festival is amazingly fun. Just walk around and see all the free shows and I am pretty sure You will have a blast!

I am glad that we are in the same boat when it comes to weight. But we are here to help each other right and that's what we will do! Have a good week-end in Montréal!

Together, we can all do it!

Sacha
  • Thanks for the kind words, ladies!
    Sacha,
    I ABSOLUTELY agree with your goals: to be healthy, and to never enter a plus-size store as long as I live! I'll be one happy woman when *everything* at Lane Bryant is too large for me! I've got a long way to go, but I've got the right mindset for the journey. I'm using my journal a TON, for food & exercise log, list of goals/dreams/rewards, regular journal entries on difficulties, victories, etc...it's been really helpful so far. I guess it helps that I already like to write & be reflective!
    I understand about refusing to weigh yourself....I did not weigh myself ONCE from about my junior year in high school until just last year....a span of about 7 years! Just couldn't face it--even though I made "campaigns" against my problem several times during college, probably losing 20-30 lbs. sometimes--but I'll never know, because I didn't weigh myself! For me, it got to the point where I had to find out where I "stood" with my weight--quite a rude awakening, I must say. But the main thing is that we're doing something about it, whether or not we weigh ourselves! And what's wise about your approach is that you won't end up a slave to the scale--it's all too easy to let that little 3-digit number ruin your day! Going by size & fit of clothing is probably better. I'm aiming for a balance between the two--I'm only weighing myself once a week.
    The hardest thing right now for me....well, I'm only a few weeks into this, and since I'm off right now (I teach preschool by the way), it's been pretty smooth sailing so far. I'm just determined to be healthy! But, looking ahead, once I start back to work, the unexpected "treats" that show up so frequently will be a challenge, as will trying to find enough time to work out.
    Congratulations on being engaged, by the way! I've only been married just under 10 months, so being a newlywed, I can tell you marriage is GREAT!
    Sorry this is so long. Keep the good questions & thoughts coming!

Jen
  • Hey Jen,

Congrats on being a newlywed! I will probably get married next summer. We might just go on a cruise and get married there! I really don't feel like planning a huge wedding. I will be too busy working out anyway right?? *wink*

Does your husband support you in your journey? My fiancé is really great...We've been together for 4 years now and I have to say that he never ever said anything about my weight issue...He loves me the way I am and I am greatful for that. But of course right now he is really proud of me and he knows that what I am doing right now is important for me, and only me.

I love your "journal" idea. Do you write everyday or only when you feel like it? I started a journal 2 months ago but it seems like I always forget about it. I wish I could be las organized as you!

Are you going to reward yourself after you've reached your goal? I made a deal with myself before I started my journey. It is kind of a reward or a symbol when I will reach my ideal weight. I am getting my bellybutton pierced! Strange but quite exciting!

Do you have any health problems right now? I have high blodd pressure "thanks to my dad's wonderful genes" but I am not taking any medication yet. Hopefully, losing weight and exercising lots will help a lot!

Before you get bored I'll stop! *giggle* Hope to talk to you soon!

Sacha

PS WE should have a labor day challenge!
  • I love all your questions!!!
    Sacha-
    You've got so many good questions! And honestly, when I respond to them it helps me remember all over again why I'm doing what I'm doing.
    First of all, my husband is VERY supportive in this journey of mine. He too has always been unconditionally accepting of me & always tells me I'm beautiful, etc. His only concern all along has been for my health, a concern which I now share (very deeply, I might add). So, I've got my man behind me 100%, what a blessing! He's proud of my new attitude & motivation.
    You asked about my journal...every day I write in it 1) what exercise I've done, and 2) the food I've eaten. It's just a good accountability tool for me! As far as regular journal entries, lately I've been writing nearly every day, but that's partly because I haven't been on this journey very long, and partly because I have lots of free time right now! I just am sure to record stuff like: victories in social/eating situations, non-scale victories (like the fit of clothing, etc), things that have made me want to eat for emotional reasons, and even last night I had a DREAM in which I was feeling out of control with my eating! Is that not wild??? So I wrote about that, too.
    I'm planning rewards (small ones) for along the way....probably about every 5 lbs. or so. Examples: husband gives me a massage, pedicure, manicure (he agreed to all this!), new workout clothes, books/CD's, workout videos, etc. I will do a special one (probably get highlights in my hair) when I reach "Onederland" (am under 200 lbs.) And of course, when I'm at or very near my goal size/weight, the reward will be pretty much a new wardrobe! I'm so excited about that....I love new clothes! And for YEARS now I've been less stylish than I could've been, due to fewer choices available in my size. I sometimes feel like saying, "Really! I DO have good taste!" But yeah, I think rewards, even just simple, small (and of course, non-food) ones are very important.
    Re: health problems--THANKFULLY, I have no obesity-related health problems. I take that as a sign to GET IN GEAR and do this; I don't want to wait around until the problems set in. I mean, my mom is both Type II Diabetic and she has arthritis (made worse, I'm sure, by the extra weight). How much more motivation do I need than that????
    Well.....this is very long. Sorry 'bout that! But I so enjoy writing back & forth with you....
    Oh yeah--you said a Labor Day Challenge--any ideas for that? I'd love to do one! Let me know your thoughts on that--

Jen
  • Hey Jen,

How are you doing today? I'm doing pretty good. I just had an amazing little sandwich for lunch! 2 small slices of pumpernickel bread, 1 slice of lean turkey, 1 slice of low fat cheese, baby spinach leaves and a tiny bit of low fat mayo. Wonderful! I am so happy because I was content with that.

Tonight I am going to the movies...And the bad buttery greasy popcorn will be around!! But you know what, when I think how bad that popcorn would be for ANYBODY'S body I know I won't touch it! Anyway, I'll have my sweetie with me to watch me! *giggle*

I am very glad that your husband is supportive of you. This is so important! We are lucky girls!

We could find one realistic goal for the labord ay challenge, if you want of course! Hmmmm...What could be mine? I am now wearing size 16 and sometimes 18. I don't think it can be realistic to ask myself to go down to size 14 in one month. But my challenge could be to feel lose in my wonderful size 16 Gap jean skirt...Silly challenge you think? Or maybe I should just weigh myself and get it over and done with? What could be your challenge?

Your rewards are great! The new wardrobe thing must be exciting!!

That's it for this one! Have a good day Jen and keep going!

Sacha
  • Re: a Labor Day challenge...
    Sacha-
    I think mine could possibly be to lose 9 lbs. and be at (or below!!) an even 220 by Labor Day. Because I'm early on in my weight loss, and it's still coming off somewhat quickly, I think that'd probably be do-able. What do you think?
    Maybe you'd feel better if you just weighed yourself, because then you'd have "concrete evidence" of your success over time. Though, the scale is only one measure of success.....I don't know what's best for you in the scale dept., because everyone's different. But maybe it'd be motivating! Just give it some thought.
    I think for the skirt to be loose would be a good goal--though hard to measure specifically. But clothing getting looser is a good thing, any day!

Have a great weekend--

Jen
  • Hey Jen,

I am going away for a week to visit my in laws. Will be back next week!! Keep it up!!

Sacha
  • Wow, I'm so excited to see all the Newbies (okay I get excited easily) Welcome Sacha!!! You look like you are well on your way to leading a more healthier lifestyle. I'm glad you found 3FC and look forward to seeing some of your posts.
  • Thanks, Jess...
    ....for the welcome! I'm hoping more & more people will post more often on this board! I love the support aspect of it. I'm struggling some with patience for this weight to come off...but know that with consistency & hard work over time, it will! That's the great thing!

Jen
  • You guys are doing great...This is what we need on this board!!! A lot of motivation for people!!

I am a newlywed too...about 9 months... My husband keeps telling me that I have to do this for me and he sees that I am miserable because my clothes don't fit me anymore so he is so supportive, but says he thinks I'm perfect and I don't have to lose a thing for him. HOWEVER, we both gained about 20lbs in the first few months of marriage and we decided to start the Low-Carb approach, we have formed it to our own plan. We did the strick 2 week Atkins induction (where he lost 15 and I lost only 7) and we have decided to just keep the pasta, breads and most of the sugars out of the house. We can splurge every so often, but for the most part becareful! And I haven't gained a pound back yet. I started June exercising and by the end of the month had lost 7 lbs so I have 14 gone in 2 months, if I keep that up I will be happy!!!!! I have to start exercising again, all I do is walk until I feel comfortable enough to run a block or 2 in there, it's a good feeling! I want to get back to a size 8, I am not a small framed person, never have been, I'm VERY curvy so I am being realistic to know that an 8 would be about the smallest I could imagine myself! But I am at a 14-12 now so I don't have a long way to go! I just have to keep the motivation up and reading posts like yours helps motivate me to get going!!!

Thanks and keep up your hard work!!
  • I'm with ya on the exercise!
    Golfergirl,
    Hey there! I see you're in MN--I grew up in SD & went to college in MN, twin cities area. What area of MN are you in?
    Exercise is definitely the key for me--though of course I do watch what I eat too. I just think exercise is the real key to my success. I've been working out like a madwoman & have learned to enjoy the feeling afterwards (and even during!). It just feels good to sweat!
    My husband is so cool about this whole thing. I feel so assured by him in that, he dated, fell in love with, and married me all at a pretty high weight. So I KNOW he loves me for who I am! He certainly is proud of my recent hard work to lose weight & is thrilled I'll be healthier now. But the coolest thing is, I feel better about myself, and that translates into all sorts of benefits, in every aspect of life!
    Hope you're having a great week!

Jen