Ups & Downs Support Group: April 2014

You're on Page 2 of 11
Go to
  • Do y'all know about the importance of inefficiency in weight loss? They've done studies of how fat people go about doing stuff—in the house, in the office—versus how skinny people do the same things. They've documented that fat people tend to be very efficient in their movements: if they need to carry three things from one room to another, they gather up all three things in their arms and move them all in one trip. A skinny person, by contrast, will grab one item and carry it to the next room where it goes, then go back for the second thing and carry it to the other room, and so on.

The same goes for going up and down the stairs to their apartment, or up and down the stairs in their house. The fat people, when documented over time, make fewer trips up and down than the skinny people do. If they're wearing pedometers, the skinny people take many more steps a day than the fat people.

So the next time you're picking up a room, or carrying stuff around the office, or bringing the dishes from the dining room into the kitchen, or moving the laundry from point A to point B, think about doing it inefficiently. The job gets done just the same either way, but if you take more steps, and climb more stairs, and make more trips from your car to where you live, you're living the life of a skinny person—moving about more and burning more calories.

'Sounds counter-intuitive, I know. Why would anyone want to do more work than is necessary? Why would anyone want their chores to take twice as long to accomplish? But just like waiting to eat until you're hungry, instead of eating at defined meal times, if you move inefficiently, you're changing your lifestyle.

I practice this as much as possible, telling myself the job will get done just the same if carrying in the groceries takes six or seven trips, than it will if it takes three trips.

It's a mellow way of doing things, too. Oddly enough, inefficiency is much less stressful. I feel more relaxed as I'm moving about, because I'm not all bothered about getting things done in a hurry. I park as far away from the post office as possible, stretch my legs and work my muscles, before gettin' back in the car to run the next errand. If it's a nice day in the spring, I get more opportunities to appreciate flowering trees, see a bird, interact with a neighbor.

I don't always remember, though: sometimes it seems like the right thing to do to take the elevator instead of the stairs, when I only have to go up one or two floors. But I'm trying...trying to make myself into an inefficient person.
  • Hello!!! thanks for missing me I have been functioning with the basics but not much (any) joy. The deal at work, with the idiot boss/groping customer/no satisfaction from the Civil Rights Unit got me so down. But I know alot worse things have happened to people and i need to get over it. Wrote out a succinct resignation letter and did not mail it...felt good to write it though.

Been bingeing and that is so awful, especially when I thought my mindset was on 'spring' and trying to get weight off, I think I've gained

I have only 3 more days of the idiot boss and then I have almost 3 weeks off and then start the good summer job so I have that to look forward to.

to the new folks!! this is a very supportive group and it does help to know that some people care.

Fi - it is wonderful to hear of your energy and joy when you are creating!

IBelieve - I am glad the steroid shot gave you at least some relief for a while, and best wishes on the orthotics fitting. I am sending for both (and all) of us!

Ohio - Hi

1life2liv - congrats!!!! 25 down since January is stupendous
  • At the Lake!
    Hello from the lake! I am so happy to be back up at the lake for another season, but I forgot how tempting it is to munch constantly up here. I need to work my RESISTANCE muscle often up here! I can do it, though. Just need to have the right foods around..... and stick to those foods! We go to Florida the week after Easter and I am soooooooooooooo much bigger than I wanted to be by now; as in, haven't lost ANY weight (just creeped UP) since I set out to be thinner by Florida. I will NOT let it ruin my time, though I will feel like a beached whale in a swimsuit. Gotta practice POSITIVE self-talk and work on at least maintaining while in Florida!!! Then, back ON BOARD with weight loss when we return!

Fi: Thank you for sharing about being INeffecient in weight loss. Very interesting perspective! Glad that you are getting so into your art, but please do make time for the outdoors, too! It is so good for your mind and body....... and even your creativity! Hope this post finds you well!

Holly: It is so great to hear from you!!! Sorry that you have been down. Forget about any bingeing and make it through these last few days with the IDIOT boss and you will feel renewed and ready to take on the challenges of weight loss once again! I can't wait for you to start your summer job!!! Enjoy your days off between jobs!!! You most definitely deserve it! Thanks for checking in. BTW, have you been out on your bike yet???

Waving HELLO to everyone else!!! Please check in when you can!
  • Hey everyone!!!! I don't have much for tonight just want to wish everyone well,check in and add an update . I had my weekly weigh in and I am down another pound. I feel like I slacked l bit last week and definitely did today. I don't know why I do this. I always feel so rotten after making a poor diet choice. I started a little bet with a friend with some money involved. We both set small goals and if we both reach our goals the. We just add to the money. If only one person meets the goal, they get the money. I think it will help me stay motivated.

Until next time. Stay awesome, xoxoxoxo
  • Bathing suit shopping
    OMG, people. I've bought a swimsuit. Actually, I placed an online order today.

Last week, I activated my new, free fitness center membership provided at work under our new employee contract. Prior to this, we were encouraged to use the facility but were expected to pay around $300 for the privilege. That's a week's salary, thank you very much.

Anyway, this week I took the very scary plunge and activated my membership, then scheduled an appointment to learn the equipment. Then, I went back on Friday to workout all on my own. The more times I go, the less scary it will be, I think.

Since I know that swimming laps is a good, low-impact, full-body, cardio workout, I debated with myself about using the lap pool. The first, big scary move was to take my measurements and figure out what size bathing suit to order. I picked out a style yesterday and slept on the idea overnight. This morning, I pulled the trigger and ordered the suit and a pair of women's swim shorts to give me just a little extra coverage.

Once the outfit arrives, I will continue to operate under the premise that, the more times I do it, the less scary it will be but I'm still facing that first frightening moment of putting on the suit and walking out into the public pool area to swim laps. You can't truly die of embarrassment, right?
  • KITTENS!!! The breeder from whom we'll be getting our next pair of oriental shorthair kittens just told me: our kittens were born last night! The litter has one male and three females. Once they're old enough to tell what they're gonna look like, Julie (our breeder) will pick out one of the females for her breeding program. Since I'm first in line to get kittens from her, we'll get the male and our pick of the other two females. Yay!

Colors: in the picture I'm about to link, the two on either end are called red spotted tabbies, and the two darker ones in the middle are red ticked tabbies. The male (I don't know which one he is) is spotted, and I want one of the ticked females. They're only 10 hours old in this picture..

Just to give you some idea, here's what a young red spotted tabby oriental looks like, and here's a young red ticked tabby oriental. The latter is called "ticked" because even though the coat in the picture looks like a solid color, it has darker guard hairs—the "ticking." The eyes for both colors are green.

We love this breed because they're very sociable, affectionate, and playful all their lives. They play fetch, they come when they're called, they're devoted and sensitive like you wouldn't believe...in many ways they're like dogs. They're the polar opposite of an aloof, independent cat. And with a good breeder like ours, they're raised with lots and lots of TLC.

They don't leave the home they were born in, and they don't leave their mother, until 12 weeks of age, so we'll drive to New Jersey to pick them up in mid-July. We did this same thing before, with the same breeder, in 2001, and those cats were fabulous.

And yes, I already have names picked out, but I've gone on too long already...I'm just SO excited!! Since we don't have children, these cats are our kids!
  • Back Home!
    Hello Everyone!!! We came back home tonight from the lake. I am anxious to get started on a fresh new week of healthy choices!!! I ate pretty well today and we got some walking in over the weekend, so I am on my way!

worththeeffort2: to our group! Do I remember you from a post a little while ago, or does your "name" just ring a bell with me? Congrats on taking the plunge and buying a swimsuit (and swim shorts for extra coverage)!!! And for activating your gym membership and following through so far. You are on your way to better health!!! HOORAY FOR YOU!!!

1life2liv: It is great to hear from you! Thanks for checking in! Congrats on losing another pound!!! Best of luck with your bet and staying motivated! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Fi: Those kittens are adorable!!! Bet you can't wait to have two of them!!! Come on, share your names! I'm listening/reading!

Waving HELLO to everyone else!
  • worththeeffort2 - ! I also applaud you for taking the plunge (bad pun huh) about swimming, I think that is great! I also agree that even though the first time might be challenging, each time will be less scary and I bet you'll get such a great workout.

1lifetoliv, CONGRATS on getting rid of a pound! seeing the scale go DOWN instead of up is so great isn't it

Fi, congrats on the kittens!!

IBelieve, you and I need to focus on what we want so much...and not get derailed. You are right, that now I am out of the dastardly boss place, I can be much more positive, and just being away from the odors of deli/bakery food has already helped, I am not 'starving' feeling all day because I'm getting aroused

I have almost 3 weeks off! Because the dastardly boss and wife close the store for over 2 weeks, that means I can file for some unemployment benefits, and then there is one more week before my return to work date at the fun summer job.

I have been pretty 'blah' for the past few weeks, not excited about summer job or even my motorcycle...just had to get out from the jerk boss and I think I just physically don't come alive til mid-to-late April and definitely having the snow go away is helping! though we still have snow in the lower reaches of the yard, and the driveway is a mud pit..the bikes have to wait til the driveway firms up.

I have to work on my dinner portion being reasonable; not eating anything after dinner; and not be bothered by my spouse eating dessert or seeing what he has in the daytime by the wrappers and crumbs in his car. That sounds awful but I am worried about our life together. that is a big deep thing for me to reveal.

So to you all and and I WILL be here more!!
  • Hello ladies,

I am doing well. My mood is good. School is good, next session I go to 2 classes. Business and math, it should be interesting. I take math in person and business online. I am very excited!!!!!!!

It is so good to see everyone and to all the new girls welcome to the thread.

Holly, it's great to see you. I'm sorry you have the blahs though. That sucks.

IBelieveInMe2, Congrats on walking. That is awesome.

Fi, congrats on the kittens!!!!!!!! wooooo hoooooo

Worththeeffort2, congrats on the new swim suit!!!!!! I have a new one too. I can't wait to wear it this summer. Maybe new summers will be smaller????

1life2liv, congrats on losing a pound. yay!!!!!!!! It's always great to see the scale go down. That is awesome.

Much love to everyone.
  • hey everyone!!! So yesterday my small dog bit my daughter. she drew blood and left about 6 puncture holes in her face. the bite is located right by the eye, too close. so long story short I have been under so much pressure and stress trying to figure out what to do with her. do we put her down, keep her, or have her adopted? anyways when this happened the first thing I caught myself doing was shoving something in my mouth!!! of course!!!I talked my self down from that before I had way overdone it. THEN I felt guilty for eating so I immediately had a thought of wanting to purge. OMG!!!! THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING! I have not had thoughts of purging in forever. it almost killed me before. not to mention I now have issues with my teeth, taste buds, stomach lining, and throat because of it. All I can think is how stupid am I for even thinking about doing that again!!!I didn't end up doing it but it still really bothers me that those thoughts are creeping up. ok enough with the griping!!

worththeeffort2- good to meet you and have you in the forum!! Congrats on taking soooo many chances. At this rate you are going to make leaps and bounds in getting healthy and losing weight!! WAY TO GO!!!!

Fiona- congrats on your new kittens being born!!! animals are at times a lot of work but totally worth it if you ask me!!

ibelieveinme2- glad your back from the lake safe and sound (: we camp everyother weekend during the summer months. I have not been camping while on a diet. I think it may be very difficult because we go with several other people and there is constantly a buffet table full of food sitting out. and trust me its not healthy food either! I think this year I will make sure to take plenty of healthy options for my self and instead of hanging out at the campsite next to the food the majority of the time, I will get out and be active by fishing, hiking, swimming (maybe), and taking my daughter to the park. anyways way to go on making healthy choices!!

Vermontmom- sorry your a little down right now! here in Kansas the weather keeps going from one extreme to the other. today it was 35 degrees and two days ago it was 84!!! my depression and mood do not like this type of weather. also on the bike subject.... I have now been banned by my father and husband from every riding a motorcycle again because just about every time I get on the back of one, I fall asleep. FOR REAL!!!! it happens in cars, on boats, anything with a rumbling engine. anyways thought you might enjoy hearing that. lastly I am the same. I want my husband and I to both be healthy and active!! we have been together for 5 years and he has only gained 10 pounds in that time. I on the other hand have gained about 100 pounds. It makes me sick lol. he has always been a little over weight though. but he deffinately has some toning and general exercise that he could be doing. what makes it even worse is that he has a degree in health and exercise science and chooses not to utilize it to his advantage. but we cant let the choices and lifestyle of others interfere with our own success.

ohiofreespirit- I glad to hear you are doing well!!I was a business major for a while. Actually thinking about it, I have been just about every major at one time or another. Anyways I enjoyed business classes and hope you do too!! MATH on the other hand, OH BOY!! Not my best subject. put it this way , I'm 229 pounds and would get a better grade in running a marathon than I would in math, especially algebra lol. Good luck to you though!!!

well folks that's all ive got for tonight. until next time, stay awesome, xoxoxox
  • Thanks, y'all, for wanting to know the kittens' names. The boy is Oscar—for Oscar Wilde, one of my favorite writers and definitely the person in history I would most like to meet. The girl is Nénu (pronounced "nay-noo")—short for "nénuphar," the French word for water lily, which is a loan word from Arabic. I love water lilies and lotuses of all kinds.

I'm having a rough time of it, depression-wise, because one of my medications didn't get refilled by mail-order as it was supposed to have been. The government has done a lousy job of handling Bob's transition to disability retirement: they owe us tens of thousands of dollars, and now our health insurance and pharmacy claims are screwed up. I'm more upset about all this than I should be, because I've been without that medication for two days, waiting for our local pharmacy to get it in stock.

Last night I overindulged on muesli. I'm really worried that I'm not losing weight, because I don't feel like I'm getting smaller, but I won't know for sure until my weigh-in on the 22nd. But other than last night, I'm on plan for my food, and I'm doing my 600 leg lifts every night.

I'm sorry I can't do personals. I feel really crappy, and when I go to pick up my medication at the Co-op, I'll have to grocery shop, too, since I'm out of some regular items. I hate doing anything out of the house, like grocery shopping, when I feel so bad, but I have no choice. =sigh=
  • Quote: hey everyone!!! So yesterday my small dog bit my daughter. she drew blood and left about 6 puncture holes in her face. the bite is located right by the eye, too close. so long story short I have been under so much pressure and stress trying to figure out what to do with her. do we put her down, keep her, or have her adopted?
    OMG that must have been so scary!! How is your daughter doing, after the initial shock, is she old enough to 'forgive' your dog? I would hope that it being a once in a lifetime occurrance (or have there been close calls?) that maybe there were factors that instigated it, or do you think your dog just lost it for no reason? I want to hope that you don't have to have her adopted, but I myself would choose giving her away over the final ultimatum..wishing you strength to deal with this!!

and I love how you end your posts, telling us to stay awesome

You are not the only one to fall asleep on the back of a motorcycle!! I have done that..and I know at least one other biking lady who rides her own but has also fallen asleep behind her husband. But it doesn't make it any safer does it! Short from bungee-ing oneself to the seat or to the rider, it is serious because we're not in control when asleep..

Ohio, congrats on doing well in school and feeling good about it! Will your daughter come home from college soon?

well I did very well on eating yesterday, healthy food and correct portions, one day down, and hope I can do the same today..and the next..and the next...

I have had times in my life where the depression is really bad, when I was suicidal, thank goodness I haven't had that in a long time, but I think I just might be the kind of personality that can so very easily, slip into negative thinking/apathy and I find that if I FORCE myself to just do something, literally get up, i can kinda propel myself into activity. Definitely the 'fake it til you make it' deal. But if it works, it works.

I know I've touted this website before but I really like their workouts, www.fitnessblender.com I find them on youtube through our TV. I've also been doing Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat Boost Metabolism workout.

HI to everyone and as 1life2liv says, keep being awesome
  • Quote: I'm having a rough time of it, depression-wise, because one of my medications didn't get refilled by mail-order as it was supposed to have been. The government has done a lousy job of handling Bob's transition to disability retirement: they owe us tens of thousands of dollars, and now our health insurance and pharmacy claims are screwed up. I'm more upset about all this than I should be, because I've been without that medication for two days, waiting for our local pharmacy to get it in stock.
    that's crummy!! sure hope they clear that up SOON! and for getting through the rough time.
  • Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I've started my Tuesday/Thursday schedule of going to the gym after work. After a 45-minute workout, I chugged a bottle of water and headed for home. Leaving the gym, I walked smack into a wall of grilled beef and fried onions smell from the dining commons across the road from the gym. It was mouth-watering but I simply enjoyed the delicious smell, knowing it wouldn't taste as good as it smelled, anyway. No calories wasted there. Stuck to my program but I really do need to do better at eating vegetables.
  • Hi everyone!
    Hope it's ok for me to join this thread.
    I am bipolar but have more downs than ups. Right now my meds are keeping me pretty stable (for the first time in 25 years)
    I have lost quite a bit of weight over the past 7 years but not in a healthy way. Starving then binging Starving and binging and repeat.
    I joined weight watchers several months ago and it has worked for me although it has been slow.
    I look forward to joining this thread!
    hugs Judi