300+ And Getting Fit After 40 #320

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • This group is for those dealing with the challenges of being fit when you have a significant amount of weight to lose which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in!
  • Carol is probably enjoying the Island beaches and Heather must be really busy so I got us started for April. Trouble is I'm speechless - can't think of anything to say so I'll see you soon.
  • Thanks for starting the thread, Judy.

Carol, hope you're loving it.

Heather, dear, are you lurking about somewhere?

Hello, Deb, anyone I missed.

Things here are okay. Had a lovely, lovely day weather-wise. Got in a nice walk at the state park. I love that I can do a full half hour (plus a little) now and keep the pace pretty lively.

So, I managed to keep to my 30-day plan with just that one day when I lost it. Didn't touch my weekly points for 30+ days. Lost about 5 pounds that are "real loss," as far as I can tell. Right now I'm in this phase where my weight stays high because TOM keeps starting and stopping. If this ever finishes, I might get another whoosh, but right now it's very hard to tell whether the last 30 days worth of work have paid off or how well.

But I'm trying to pretend I don't know all that. Everything is going well! I'm on track, doing good things for my health.
  • I think carol flies out tomorrow. Hoping she has a great time!

We bought our new bed and matress last night. We are draining our waterbed and it's soooo slow. They are delivering our bed this afternoon. I am praying the rain holds off ! I am hoping we get better sleep and wake up with less aches and pains. I am going to try and paint this weekend.

I am doing good eating right. I am hoping to bump it up a bit. I have walked some daily but plan to walk after dinner next wk. I am loving the warmer weather!!!
  • Way to go, Deb. Hope you get a good night's sleep on that new bed. I know just adding a memory foam pad on top of my old cheap mattress made a huge difference for us. I hope the rain does hold off for you... it was here with us all night and is lingering this morning.

So, I had a rude awakening this morning. It's my WI day for WW online, so I weighed in and was checking the charts and realized, heavens, I was lower than this back in October... have been working since January just to make up the ground I lost in Nov/Dec. And it's so excruciatingly slow even when I'm staying strictly OP. So then I was messing around looking at the various control panels and realized that my plan was set in "maintenance" mode. It must have been there a long, long time. Maybe since I started WW! Because as soon as I switched into losing mode, it took away 7 daily points. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they had ever jumped UP by 7 points.

So, the short version of the story is, there's no way I can suddenly jump down 7 points a day, especially not at this point in the semester. So I'm going to stick with the number I was on in maintenance, with the goal of trying to go one point lower. That'll mean I'm using most of the weekly flex points, but I'll try to work myself down to 37 by the time school's out.

I'm serious. They should have a big blinking light that says "You are in maintenance mode." It's amazingly difficult to notice.
  • Hi all! I've been absent. Trying to adjust to a new schedule and have less time in the morning. All is okay here. Finding more and more reasons to eat better and move more and making small strides in the right direction.
  • I am super excited! We got our bed and are slowly adjusting to it. We ended up with a queen because a king wouldn't go up my staircase.
    My son in law finally has my daughters closet ready and I'm bagging up her clothes today. I will be able to give hubby our closet and claim her much larger one.
    I have gotten tons of exercise rearranging furniture and breaking down our heavy water bed and carrying it down 2 flights of steps.
    My energy is so much better and every day seems to improve it more! I think the vitamins and increased calories are helping.
    No change on the scales yet
  • Morning!!

Yesterday took a lovely walk on the beach. Boy do my calves feel it today.

I'm hoping to make a nice soup today to keep me on track.

Also planted some lettuce. Hope it wasn't too soon but I needed to do something -- I wasn't able to have a garden last year and missed it so much.
  • Struggling here. I was in see it - eat it mode all weekend. Grrrr! Will try to be a lot better today.
  • Today is the day I start again. Went to the dr yesterday for my 6 month check up and she is not happy. Wants to see me in 2-3 months for labs again. Wants me back on 1200 calories and really watch sodium.
    She also wants a copy of a exercise and food journal. So I guess I will start one today.
  • Pop day with exercise
  • Did a little better yesterday. I've got to stay out of the drive thrus!
  • Pop day!!
  • Scales are moving back down. Today will be filled with dr visits. Hubby has a dentist visit. Then eyes and then a dr visit. Busy day with lots of traveling. Going to stay pop
  • Not pop today! Try again tomorrow