300+ Chat Thread: April, 2014

You're on Page 2 of 16
Go to
  • Ubee ~ Thanks for commenting on my walking. Yeah I thinking weighing at the doctor once a month is a good idea. Nope Im doing the calorie counting on my own.

Betsy ~ Im sorry you cant walk yet but you'll get there.

I havent walked today cause I've been at school which is where Im currently at but I'll walk as soon as I get home.
  • Terra my daughter and I went for a walk today and it felt good to be outside. Do you work/volunteer at school or are you a student?
  • Hello everyone, I hadn't noticed that an April chat thread had been created.

@Betsy

I totally understand about the walking thing. I don't have a car and I have to walk over an hour a day just as part of my commute to and from work. I wish I could just take it easy and keep off my feet some days. I have chronic pain in my ankles from overuse. It's good because I'm more fit than I would be if I drove a car but I also worry about permanent damage. I am on a prescription NSAID just to get me through the day and I'm still in quite a bit of pain.

Each pound off makes it easier to move around and less painful- that's a powerful motivator for me!
  • [I'm an idiot and forgot it was a new month, so I'm re-posting what I posted earlier to the March thread.]

All right guys, I had a big moment of "What the f*** am I doing?" this morning. Last night before I went to bed I overindulged with muesli, eating much more than one serving, with lots of cream, when I'd already had my muesli for the day. I need the muesli for my mood, but any more than one 1/2 cup serving a day (41 gm. of carbs) will screw up my weight loss. In fact, it would be better if I could get away with only having 1/4 cup per day. I've been periodically overindulging on the stuff for several weeks now: with the calories from the extra cream as well, that has to be why I didn't lose weight last month.

It's so hard for me to cope with having any carbs (other than salad fixings) in the house, because I always want to overeat them. I need to get it into my thick head that while my one serving of muesli a day is allowed, eating any more than that counts as binge behavior. And I'm strongly committed to not engaging in binge behavior.

So what I'm doing, today, is fasting for 24 hours—not as some kind of punishment, but in order to think this through and get my head in the right place. I'm really angry with myself, for letting the muesli thing get out of hand. I need to cool down and fly straight.

Meanwhile, I made a new collage y'all might find amusing: it's called "superheroes baffled by world's largest pollen grain".
  • Ubee ~ Thats cool that you and your daughter went for a walk today. Im a student and I volunteer at school.

Locke ~ Welcome to the thread, I hope you like it here
  • Fi I find it really difficult having carb heavy food around too. I find that fasting does wonders for me both mood and weight wise.
  • Good Morning!

Sorry I've been away. Been feeling "down" the last few days. Just feeling bloated and MAD, LOL. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't admit that-sounds strange as a man. Oh well.

Just been having one of those odd "down" periods that we all get periodically. Its crazy, given that we've had really warm, sunny weather(of course, its pouring down rain today).

Anyway, feeling better today and looking forward to a good day.

Coffee's on-hazelnut and jelly donut mixed, today!

Dean
  • Morning Everyone!!

Sorry I slacked the last two days from posting. The receptionist at work was out for 2 days because her DH ended up having to get his appendix out. So it was just me and the manager/new owner for the past two days. Needless to say after getting off of work and working out, I barely had the energy to eat dinner...Last night I took off a day from working out so I could go run my bill pay errands and get some groceries for the house.

I can't believe April is already here! The time is going by so fast! It looks like the pollen is in full swing here so my car is covered in yellow :P I'm going to try and trick my DH into going to the park after work and going for a walk. I am still going to do my HIIT and work on abs tonight

Ubee This month is going to be our month girl!! Spring is here and the nice weather will hopefully keep us motivated!!!

Jane I am LOVING your avatar picture!! Look how far you've come! Great job my dear!!!

Betsy Good luck with all of the yard work!! Depending on how much you have to do, it can be some back breaking work...I'm sure you'll get some good work there!!

Terra High five on getting 3 walks in girl!!! Keep that up!!

I've made some goals for the month of April...They are to hope for an 8 lb loss, get outside more, lift weights more, and work on my booty bump!!! One of these days I'm gonna have an a** that you can bounce a quarter off it!! Anyway, hoping for another OP day! Hope you all do too!!
  • Good Morning!
    Sam you sure are doing great at working out! How much time a day do you committ/dedicate to working out?
    Dean so happy to see you and your coffee! I got a good laugh about your comment about being a man and admitting that! I'm just coming out of a spell like that and it stinks when you are going through it. Hang in there and keep posting.
    Jane I think some fasting may help me. I do have a lot of food anxiety. This morning I thought "I'm not really hungry maybe I should wait." my loud brain voice screamed "What if you get hungry!" and I realized well then I will eat. Sounds so simple but yet for me...
    Terra what are you studying in school? How do you help out when you volunteer?
    Fi as always I love the collage! I think many of us are carb challenged.
    Locke walking to work is one sure fire way to get your exercise in! My knees were feeling so much better BUT with my 12 pound regain they are acting up already! Yes, every pound does help. I had to carry something heavy yesterday and I thought geez this is nothing compared to what I used to lug around!
    Yesterday got stripes on my calander. Today I am squished into a tight pair of jeans. I am stopping the regain. I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! Two more days of yucky weather and then spring should be here.
    We are all excited about my husband working less hours starting next week. He is really committed to us all using the extra time to get healthy and more active, while having less stress. Yipee!
    Let's all lose weight and get healthy!
  • Sam Thank you! I cried for hours when I first saw that before picture. There's been some doozies taken of me, but that one.... eesh. It's a good reminder. Your goals are great. You are so motivated and I love it!

Ubee OMG the FEAR of hunger. I never realized how bad that had been for me until I completed my first successful day long fast. I was so amazed that I didn't "need" the food. I used to drive to A&W every morning for two sausage and eggers and a large coke because I was so afraid I would be hungry before lunch. (I go to work at 9 and my lunch is at noon). I was TERRIFIED of three hours without food. There are so many other examples of being afraid I was going to get "hungry" when it wasn't hunger at all, it was my obsession with eating!

I realized that I have truly been yoying between 375 and 385 for a YEAR now (looked it up on my graph), and while it's great that I maintained, I'm tired of seeing that same group of numbers. I freaked out about it a little until I realized that I have lost another size, so between the yoga and the swimming I have actually developed some muscle. (And I'll guarantee you that before, I had the bare minimum required to function, because I was so sedentary I could have been statuary!"). Anyways. Proud I didn't regain, but let's get on with the show shall we??

Down 1.3 this morning. Still have .4 of yesterday's pesky water weight kicking around.
  • Sam ~ Thanks for commenting on my walking

Ubee ~ The place I call School isnt a real school, I just call it school cause I learn things when I go there. I volunteer at school with whatever they need help with.

I havent walked yet today, Im gonna eat lunch first and then Im gonna walk and then I'll walk again after dinner tonight.
  • Good morning all. Just read all the posts, and no wonder I keep coming back to this group. Even when we're having not-so-wonderful days, this group is just so positive that we can do this. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Success doesn't occur every day, but all the wonderful thoughts expressed here make it seem like it's possible.

Jane Yes, there's nothing like a picture to give us motivation! Great news on the weight going back after the little ones' visit. And knowing that you're getting muscle built up is such a reward. Love the so sedentary you could have been statuary remark.......strong resemblance to my preferred lifestyle.
    Ubee What color are you using this month on the calendar? Mine still is a pristine white -- ready to get it showing other colors!!! Sorry the walking makes the knees hurt, but it's definitely motivation for us. It sounds as though your family is going to be making some big changes with your DH having more family time. Everyone working on getting healthy will make it more supportive and hopefully fun. Can you all make it into a game when there is a monthly goal and a special treat if everyone gets to goal -- something easy like renting a movie, or visiting a museum or whatever tickles your collective fancies?
    Sam Hmmmm.....setting goals. Maybe that would help. Good for you on keeping on the straight and narrow and getting in so much exercise.
    Dean Other than being sorry that you're having a down period, it's refreshing to hear a man fess up to getting moods. Coffee sounds great!
    Terra Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. Is there a big campus associated with your school -- never walked so much in my life as when I was in college.
    Fi LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your latest collage. And continue to be in awe of where you even come up with these ideas. Totally understand the feeling of binging on the muesli and your assessment is probably right on target. But, you have incredible will power when it comes to moving specific foods out of your life -- like cookies and diet soda -- so I know you'll master control of this.
    Locke Thanks for the understanding words about the knees. I can tell a huge difference with even a few pounds off on what I can do, so hopefully your ankles will respond as well.
    Time4Me Glad you're beginning to feel better and that you had a good vacation. It's a hard way to lose it, but hope the weight you lost when you were sick stays off. Mine did -- only good thing about that 48 hour period!

Had a great time visiting with my friend from my high school days yesterday, but after a 3 hour lunch and three hours of drive time, I skipped Costco, groceries and Target. So, after the gym and eating lunch (definitely need to NOT be hungry), I'm heading back into town to get the shopping done. Going to have two salad meals today -- my normal lunch time salad and a taco salad without the tortilla shell for dinner. And no bakery samples!!!!
  • betsy - maybe next month, not really feeling motivated enough to come up with a 'Plan' so that I can stay on plan. Just tired lately.

Jane = thanks, I guess I'm in the... I wish I really wanted to lose weight but obviously I don't REALLY want to or I'd be doing more to make it happen mood. But I'm too tired to truely 'care'. Maintaining 100lb loss is pretty epic in my books. I lost only 20 and maintained that for 3 years so... good on ya for getting motivated to lose more so "soon". (I know most people don't get that but honestly... A year maintaining a loss like that is good!

Ubee- Maybe I'm just in need of a break. I feel bad because i'm not really on track to make Katts challenge goals (which I thought were entirely reasonable..) maybe i need to be okay maintaining for a little while longer before I have the energy to push for a loss.

Terra - Hope you had good walks.

Locke - Sorry to hear about your pains, I'm lucky I haven't experienced much pain related to my weight. But I'm getting 'old' so I guess that will start soon enough for me I only hurt in the morning, or if I've been sitting for a LONG period of time if I keep moving my body seems to 'suck it up and deal with it' for lack of a better description. The first few steps in the morning are always killer on my feet though.

Fi - The collage links don't work for me but the title intrigued me, it just took me to the main flickr page unfortunately I'm sure it was good! I feel ya on the carbs, I probably should cut them out from my diet I know but I am still not willing to do t hat. I am stubbornly perhaps not so smartly... determined i can still have them within limits.

Dean - LOL hope you are feeling better soon.

So obviously I'm feeling blah, maybe the fasting bloodwork put me in a mood. I don't know I've eaten a lot of carbs since I got back from t hat and haven't noticed a mood spike, I'm still grumpy and tired go figure. (All the carbs were in the form of fruit, I had strawberries, and grapes, and even blueberries and rasberries and yoghurt (plain with the berries mixed in). And have had black coffee, despite a full night sleep I'm still tired, I guess I really need to workout even though thats the last thing I feel like doing... its nice and sunny but COLD out today.

The fun part of the fasting bloodwork was in the AM when I weighed myself I was down to 301. But I'm sure I'm back up above and beyond the 305 range now that i've put all that food in me. Ah well,

I am not eating enough to GAIN fat today. Especially since I plan on working out... during my bloodwork fasting I did contemplating trying to keep it up for longer, but ended up giving in and eating at 10 so I only fasted for 15.5 hours. I don't think IF is really for me, but I thought about trying it since I was fasting anyhow... but gave into my munchies. Ah well.
  • Silent, keep in mind that IF doesn't have to be a huge period. A lot of people just don't eat breakfast and consider that their "window".
  • Good Afternoon!
    Silent
    sorry but I had to laugh about Katts challenge. In case you don't know, I've gained 9 pounds since starting the challenge. Chin up. Keep posting and we will drag you through this! Kicking and screaming if we have to. I'm coming out of one heck of a I should just give up funk. Everyone on here including you Silent kept me going so I only gained 9 pounds instead of 90. Showing up until you get back in the game is so important. Besides Betsy and I would lose our social life! As for fasting I'm a baby and just trying to do 16 hours most of which I am busy and sleeping.
    Betsy I have started out with orange. As for the family I am the main drag in the healthy department. My husband exercises daily and is now eating more veggies. I prepare my daughters meals and snacks so that leaves me bringing up the (big) rear! How did the no samples go?
    Terra lifes important lessons are not taught in a real school. Good for you for volunteering!
    Jane I recently found a picture of the old me. So sad. I will have it printed and keep a copy next to the new me. I don't want to remember but more importantly I don't want to forget.
    Fear of hunger, what is that all about? The doctor put me on cereal at two weeks because I was collicky. I have never been deprived of food.
    Yes, let's get on with the show!
    I want to lose weight!