~~April Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 12 of 14
Go to
  • I don't know much about computers, but I get that Conduit sometimes. I don't have it right now as far as I know. When my computer starts doing something different I go into Control Panel, uninstall programs, and go down the list looking for something with the current date, or the day before. If you didn't install something, then that item is usually the problem, and I uninstall it. It usually takes care of the problem. You have to be careful that you don't uninstall something that you need, but you usually remember if you installed something in the past day or so. I don't usually install anything....it's DH. LOL I'll blame it on him.

Mary, I didn't know that you could burn out your pancreas by eating too many carbs. That's what made my glucose go up so high recently, but I must not have burned out my pancreas because I was able to get it back down again. I hope to keep it down.
  • Hi all. another beautiful day here sunny and warm and yes Cajun I spent time outside with my furbabys and then to the cave and did some sewing..interesting info on diabetes,since my surg im off all meds and my a1c is below normal,one of the perks of the surg,however 4 jellybeans kept me in the bathrm most of the am grrr I should know better. yesterday was poof day (payday sent the bills and POOF gone) did a little shopping at wallmart. this am my coffee maker decided to die.. so now im making camp coffee dh likes it better anyways..hope your evenings terrific and on plan rosey
  • good evening to all my 50 - somethings! I am on top of my bad habits, my emotional eating has diminished! I stopped stuffing my stomach in order to avoid facing my issues. I am swimming in my clothes! Everything is loose and baggy and I feel great! My dh is getting better and this weekend all my children will join us to celebrate a milestone birthday for my hubby!
  • Did really well on my eating plan today except my bs was too high to have snacks.....well I did have one radish. Lol But if I keep eating this way it should come down. Wannabe, I think your encouragment has really helped, thank you

My meals
    PB mocha frappe - a light version meaning only 1/2 mix and PB, and made with almond milk and added protein powder and fiber. Carb, protein and fat

Lunch
    Grilled cheese sandwich - fiber one bread with 1 sl cheese, 2 t smart balance - carb, protein and fat
    Baby carrots - free

Dinner
    Subway ham & turkey with Lots veggies, and may - carb, protein and fat, veggies free

Determined not to eat tonight. Ate dinner late so should help.

Lucinda, just saw your post. Glad you are doing well!

Oh Rosey now I saw yours too! Lol. Sorry abt the jelly beans and here I was thinking how you can be so disciplined to only eat four! Guess yu have plenty motivation even if it's not nice, you poor thing!
  • Thanks Maryea,and im not always so disciplined,and I love sweets but the reaction is not worth the splurge, at times tho I just indulge and pay the piper. rosey
  • The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it's 52 degrees already. Going to be a nice day if it doesn't rain.

Rosie, my SIlL had the surgery and sugar makes her throw up.

Mary I'm glad to be of help. Food choices make an amazing difference. Last night before bed I was at 109 and this morning, 111. I know it's supposed to be in double digits, but this is the lowest I've been in 6 years. Keep those veggies coming.

Lucinda, I think it's time to go shopping for new clothes! Congratulations. I'm still waiting to get back into the ones I grew out of.
  • Happy Friday girls. Dh came home yesterday with a sack of crawfish but we didn't peel them. It was too late. So after work that our chore. I had a good 1-1-1 yesterday. Hopefully I can do ok this weekend. We are supposed to help ds with his awning for his lawn mower. Clean boat, cut grass at the camp, fix broken pipe that has never been fixed because we haven't been there. Our weekend is full.
    Rosey I bet you have a beautiful view from your deck up there in Alaska.
    Mary I'm not diabetic yet. Hopefully I can avoid that but I think I'm destined to get it. My grandmother and mom both are. But I'm still thinking about killing my pancreas.
    Lucinda woo hoo congrats to you on staying on tract and baggy clothes!!!!!
    Hi to all. Have a nice weekend!!
    Hugs
    Cajun
  • Quote: Cajun are you a diabetic? From what I have been taught it is only diabetics who can "burn" out their pancreas by overeating of carbs. However it is known that people who eat a high white carb diet...white bread, white rice, refined sugar and high fat diet are more likely to become diabetics in time. They seem to be more predisposed to it. I think in time they are going to find even more links to diabetes in this area. Fats also play a part in diabetes because fat makes it difficult for the insulin to get into the cells..that's the way my doctor described it. That's the trouble with diabetes...it is a metabolic disorder so everything and every part of the body can ultimately be involved!
    The eating plan I had been following to lose the weight (and then phasing into maintenance) is a protein sparing diet with very low carbs to help reset the pancreas and the insulin resistance of the cells. Dr Tran Tien Chanh is a grad of the College of Medicine of the University of Paris and was a former high level athlete.

"Insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas, controls the level of the sugar glucose in the blood. It reduces the concentration of glucose in the blood. Insulin permits cells to use the glucose in the blood for energy. It is also called the lipogenesis hormone because it prevents the destruction of lipids and promotes fat storage. In other words, insulin makes you gain weight. Your body produces insulin only when you eat carbs. If you consume too much sugar, your pancreas will release a large quantity of insulin into the blood to lower your blood sugar. Since the insulin is generally in excess of what is required and too much sugar is removed from the blood, you body will be in a state of hypoglycemia and demand more sugar. A vicious cycle sets in.

When this happens your pancreas is like a furnace in overdrive, under stress it tires more easily. The big difference between an individual whose body stores fat and an individual whose body burns it is the way in which their bodies digest carbs (sugars). So, you are also more prone to pre-diabetes or diabetes.

The pancreas is the root cause of insulin dysfunction. However, since it is easily derailed, it can also be easily reset. Treatment is by giving your pancreas a break by significantly reducing your carb intake."

Obviously watched closely by your doctor to monitor any needed meds as the situation can change relatively quickly. I have type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family so I wanted to avoid that possible eventuality. This is not a diet for those who are insulin-dependent diabetics ie: type 1 since the pancreas is essentially non-functional.

I have phased off the weight loss portion with carbs under 80g a day, and have moved progressively to the maintenance level where I eat between 100-200g carb a day - BUT I use the principle of dissociation - keeping higher fat meals separate from higher carb meals. This helps prevent the insulin when I eat carbs from encouraging any accompanying fat into storage. Each meal may be 'unbalanced' but the full day is balanced. I also eat higher fat than recommended (not by much) but it is mainly EVOO & avocados & fresh unroasted unsalted nuts. It is not a high protein diet like Atkin's style, normal amounts of protein are recommended. My proteins are mainly lean with some proper portions of regular fat cheeses.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I thought some of you may find this interesting.
    I know I did with a background in exercise biology and an interest in nutrition.

Liana
  • I've been OP mostly today...got off a bit at lunch in that I had more than the 1 serv of each nutrient but I still had balance in what I ate. Went to the gym, only walked/jogged 1/2 mile but finished the rest of my 30 min of cardio on the bike plus used a few other machines. I wish I could get my strength back up but my arm is still bothering me and some machines I can only do a few reps. Maybe in time I'll build up. My bs was high about 1/2 the day but then came down ...not normal or even quite diabetic normal but getting closer. From experience I know it will take a day or two more of being consistent.

My meals today:
    Breakfast
    oatmeal with 1 t. brown sugar and 1 T pecans pcs - Carb and fat
    NF Milk - protein

Lunch
    Homemade Chicken Vegetable soup - onions, bok choy, carrots and celery..protein, free veggies
    6 (1 oz) saltine crackers - carb
    PB Mocha Frappe - my favorite way to go off plan but it was carb, protein and fat Went over one carb serv.

pm snack
    light mocha frappe with fiber and added protein powder and almond milk - protein, carb and fat

Dinner will be:
    Sm steak - protein
    Shared baked potato with dh - carb
    Smart Balance - 1 T - fat
    probably green beans - free

Cana - the article was interesting and the way of eating is what the Trim Healthy Mama Diet is like. There is also another book I've read recommended by my dd who eats this way and feels best when she does. I have forgotten the authors name. I didn't mind eating the Healthy Trim Mama way way but didn't like THEIR recipes..made my usual, just adjusting for the rules. It was too much for me to remember though and often I didn't get it quite right. Suppose it gets easier in time. But I also didn't notice much change with my bs but maybe it was because I didn't do it very long or well enough. But when I followed the one, one one diet before (a month or so ago), my bs came down and I enjoy my food more. I think it's primarily because I do not eat nearly so much of anything except veggies. It's just one serving each of protein, carb (hyperglycemic type) and fat. and veggies are free. So nothing is very high including the fat. Very easy. I guess everyone has to experiment and see what works best for them. I certainly agree that you do need to avoid that rushing in of a large amount of insulin. I'm sure all to many years I have had that happening..when I think back I can't believe how much sugar I've eaten in the past!! But more recently even when I binge I don't eat nearly that much. Still I'm determined to be done with all that. But I know I've said that before so I take it one day at a time. I'm supposed (per diabetic dietician nurse) to be able to have 180 gms of carb a day, but I think sometimes now that is too much. Anyway using the one,one,one eating strategy, I don't usually get that many.

Cajun - Yes I really hope you can avoid diabetes. It's not a good thing but in my life it has been kind of a wake up call and has made me start eating better...as I said above, even when I mess up, it's nothing like before.

Wannabee - I hope I can get my bs down like yours. That's great! My dh's is like that.
  • Good Morning! At least stepping on the scales this morning gave me a little something to smile about!!! YAY!!! I weighed 188.1-- down 2.4 since my last weigh in which was actually done on March 28th. at least that is when I last logged in anything! YAY!!
  • Cleaned both bathrooms thoroughly today plus daily stuff so done with housework for today. Dh went out to buy a hanging plant (fushia), supposed to attract hummingbirds. Having fun with Daisy, our house guest. She has gotten to love her "towel massages" she gets when she comes in from outdoors. She loves our big back yard and dh says he has finally found a way to keep the squirrels away from the bird feeders because she lays in wait and chases them when they come round. She snuggles with me in the afternoons and evenings. So we are adapting and even enjoying having a dog around.

My eating went ok yesterday and so far today I'm mostly OP. See, I have two plans to think about (like some of you too), my diabetes and the one,one,one.
    Sometimes I get to thinking one way and sometimes the other and get a little mixed up.

Breakfast
    PB Mocha Frappe with added fiber - protein, carb and fat

Lunch
    Grilled cheese on high fiber bread with 1 T Smart Balance - protein, carb and fat
    cup leftover chicken veg soup - mostly broth and veggies - protein and free veggies
    One Trim and Healthy Mama Protein PB cups. This is where I got off the one, one, one plan..just wanted to try them but like most of the THM recipes, I don't really like them. Even so they are strangely addictive. But I couldn't ever eat more than one at a time. - protein, fat, and carb but mostly fat.
    I don't think I will make them again...too bitter..not sure if I used too much Stevia or not enough Might be better using Truvia or Splenda although I prefer not to use Splenda.

Not sure what dinner will be ...probably some chicken and veggie dish and rice.

Not much to talk about as I'm not doing much these days.

Karen31 - Karen I'm happy for your weightloss but not the way you've done it...I'm sure you're probably overwhelmed these days. Take care of yourself too.
  • Mary, did you ever make Haystacks using Fiber One cereal, peanut butter and chocolate chips? I made them once and really liked them but I don't know how they would fit into my low carb eating plan.

I am going to try my hand at making yogurt again. Last time I used a crockpot, but now I bought a yogurt maker at Goodwill. It's an older model, but was still in the box and looked as if it was never used. It has very nice glass jars.

Bobbi, I think the last time I made yogurt I used store bought skim milk because I had it on hand, but now I bought some dry fat free milk and want to use your recipe that you gave me back when. If I want to make a smaller batch, can I leave some of the jars out of the yogurt maker without any harm? I am the only one who eats it so I might not want to make the whole batch.
  • I have trained myself to experience the sensations both good and bad, of eating foods that are not good/healthy for me. For example, my dh and kids will all be eating chocolate chocolate chip cake tonight for dh's birthday. I can taste the heavy oiliness , the sweet creaminess and the sick feeling in my gut coupled with throbbing in my knee and ankles. I do not need nor want to eat the cake b/c the sweetness is not worth the sickness afterwards,
  • Simple Start weight Watchers..... Hopeful....