Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 10 of 17
Go to
  • Hello to all, just a wave to let you know that I am back from vacation. I did pretty well with food and very well with exercise while on vacation. I ran on both days that a treadmill was available, which makes me awesome, and did vacation-type exercise the other days -- loads of walking, some hiking, and even a few hours of sea-kayaking (although my kayak was the equivalent of the pony ride at the horse farm). My before-Friday-weigh-in-so-it-doesn't-count looks promising. As long as things don't go south tomorrow (and I don't see why they would), Friday should see me back on track after my 1.5 pound gain heading into vacation. One of my goals for this coming week is to post consistently so I hope to see you all soon. Warmest wishes for all you lovely people.
  • Hello coaches,

Wednesday, pizza day, here again. I think I'll pack something else again. I need to run errands part of the time the boys swim as the pet store was out of the type of dog food we normally used last time I stopped by. Need to do my DVD this afternoon.

6crowsgold Kudos for being so close to half way! Bummer for a hungry week.

nationalparker Wishing you the best as you work with your dad on his meds.

CeeJay Hoping you've had a good week and been able to plan/follow through.

onebyone Bummer about the dentist with bad bedside manner. I've been looking into "tooth soap" lately. The theory being that if you get your teeth "really clean" and don't rub away the enamel with abrasives that your saliva has enough minerals to fix your teeth on it's own (even make cavities go away). LINK

GosfordGirl Looking forward to hearing good news about your inflammatory indicators and the helpfulness of acupuncture. Kudos for a good fast day.

BillBlueEyes
    LOL @ your pants story. Good endorphins for the day I agree about the summer fruits, so looking forward to them!

Lexxiss Ouch for an injured back, so glad you are feeling better. I agree that a water pic is easier and better than floss.

maryann Hoping WW does the trick for you.

gardenerjoy Awesome new tractor. Had to look up your strange foods. Glad you enjoyed them.

flnu welcome back and great job on good vacation food choices.
  • Still Wednesday.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up for Easter. Everyone will be home and Big Events abound, so my posting may get random. Reminding myself I need a plan for non-routine days!

Happy Easter/ Passover!
  • Hello! Not a good day here for my dad, I was hoping that yesterday he was on the upswing, I guess it'll be like a pendulum - some up, some down. Only was able to get in a half day of work today; thankful I've built up a lot of sick time over the years. More confrontation as he gets more frustrated with the pain, his body breaking down, and me hovering, trying to assist. He is skeletal now. His shoulder bones are poking up sharply through his jacket. I feel almost guilty for being overweight while he's struggling to get anything down.

I'm not eating enough during the day/evening and finding myself HUNGRY about 10 or so. I will snack on some 35 cal/cup popcorn and relax in a bit.

Credit: Picked up a bag of Sonic's ice (tiny balls) for my dad; thought it'd be easier to let melt in his mouth ... and passed up everything else on the menu. Tater tots were calling to me... "You've done light this past week ... indulge...you deserve it..." and I disregarded their siren call.

DH keeps telling me how terrible the longterm statistics are for my dad's cancer. Last night I had had it and just said I don't want to hear this anymore because I KNOW it and it does nothing for me. It's not denial - it's just that I don't want to be dragged down every time we talk. He understood. Credits to him for humoring me.
  • Coaches

Really tired tonight - I am sure it is a response to eating rubbish today. I had lunch at a favourite dumpling place (Din Tai Fung - they are everywhere) because one opened at the mall near the Rheumatologist. I was irritated after I saw her. But I went to gym nearby as I had planned. And after that I went to eat dumplings. That wasn't so bad but then as I was shopping I had more off plan food. All of this stuff was full of carbs and wheat and now I could go to sleep face down on the keyboard. Moving on - I went to Tai Chi today for the first time and it was pretty hard work. I didn't have a clue what the patterns were but tried to follow. I think it will e.v.e.n.t.u.a.l.l.y help with the balance and leg weakness issue because that is the focus - but it won't be over night. I am not the most patient person but I need to give it a go

The Rheumatologist has put me back on steroids, higher dose than usual, for the joint swelling and pain - oh well - it will be nice to be more comfortable. I also let myself be convinced to go on IV bisphosphonates for osteoporosis (it is only once a year) but they make me nervous. And I will be joining the parade going to the dentist. You have to get things in order before starting the therapy and get the all clear

BillBE - LOL for pants story. We missed the "blood red moon" too because of clouds in the east as the moon rose at dusk. I love my weber grill. I think I need to take cooking lessons from your wife. Credit for leaving that forbidden fig fruit

Maryann - hope you are having less of a struggle with food - credit for not translating unfair as a license to eat. Hope you find that food plan

Gardenerjoy - hope you make it to day 10 eventually! I need to see what it is about - and it is the last day of the fix isn't it. Love the tractor! And it is great that you will be able to drive it. Your cooking class sound fun

6crowsgold - the fasts do seem to get harder over time don't they - unless I am busy I am suffering through them and sometimes snack in the evening on the rebound. I too am REALLY looking forward to my 4 days off starting tomorrow - Friday

Nationalparker - I am sorry to read of your father's increasing frailty. Credit for doing what family does for each other and bearing witness. Being able to playfully cajole your father to do what he needs to do is a credit. Hope the pounds drop but as usual they will do as they will!

flnu - welcome back. Your time away seems pretty on track so hope your Friday weigh-in cooperates

Tricia - sympathies for a hungry day - a few of mine lately have been like that. That dog sure gets a lot of walking. I love that he is like your little diet pal - that you actually got him as a walking partner. That seems to be working!

Credits
    Ate on plan today - not at all
    Planned food for tomorrow - No - was going to buy fish today but could not park! Will find something for tomorrow
    I logged food as I ate it - no
    Weighed myself and logged it - yes
    Did planned exercises - ~8500 and 17 active minutes
    I didn't eat standing up - 50% - ate something in the car - not technically standing up but...
    I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
    Listened to motivation recording - yes
    Made time for diet and exercise - gym - check; tomorrow - nothing planned beyond dog walk
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two walking excursions, CREDIT moi, including walking home after dark - always wearing my winter coat. After a couple of warm days, even mildly cold needs the winter coat. Came across a FREE box of partially used legal pads on the curb as we do in my neighborhood. I immediately took them home; took a few for my own doodling; let the two kids next door take as many as their father would allow them; then let the mother of two across the street take the rest. Warm feeling for getting usable paper into the hands of kids who have an infinite need.

On plan eating, CREDIT moi. During my evening with friends, I sat before a coffee table for two hours with dried nuts, figs, and cranberry bread that's crisp like biscotti. I took none, being aware that this is a biweekly affair and it's useful for me to just stick to my plan for 'none.' No one notices that I don't eat. This always surprises me since it's a regular Sabotaging Thought that folks will think it odd that I'm not keeping up.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – You made me google both Toad in a Hole and Spotted Dick. Gotta love the splendid British names for food. Congrats for training as a tractor driver. There's travel money to be made by plowing your neighbors' driveways after you're done with your own. (I just looked up 'biweekly' because I can never remember whether it means twice a week or every two weeks. Good grief! Why do we use the same word for both? How does one distinguish?)

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for taking up something new, Tai Chi, to make working balance fun. Ouch for your "dragon lady Rheumatologist" pushing drugs even when they're what your body needs.

nationalparker – Kudos to you and your DH for working through the difficult feelings of dealing with the present without ignoring the tough thoughts about the future. Supportive thoughts to your dad to find a balance using his meds that works for him.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Seems sane to avoid the temptation for too much pizza. I recently saw a picture of 'pizza' make on a slice of zucchini. Looked good - but there was enough cheese melted on top to balance any calories saved from the skipped crust.

flnu - Yep, you're "awesome" for that much exercise during vacation. Were you in a one-person sea kayak?

6crowsgold - And Happy Easter / Passover to you. May you have good weather for your many events.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?

If you're having sabotaging thoughts, get ready to write your Response Cards.

Sabotaging Thought: I'll write it down later.
    Helpful Response: I may not get to it later. I have to make this a priority right now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 138.
  • From the Beck FB page today:
    Think Thin Thursday Tip: If you were driving on the highway and missed your exit, would you say, “Forget it, I’ve really blown it now” and keep driving in the wrong direction? No! You’d get off at the very next exit and turn around. If you make a mistake, immediately turn yourself around and get right back on track.
  • Today's interesting event is shopping for clothes for a wedding next week. I thought I had clothes, but nothing really worked when I tried stuff on, so we'll see if I can do better at Nordstrom's. I've been working with the same personal shopper there since early in my weight loss journey so she's pretty experienced with dressing me at all sizes. The tricky part about a wedding is that a dress might be most appropriate, but my body shape works best with separates (size 10 on top, size 14 on bottom). We'll see.

I have a good plan with good foods for today so I won't be tempted to overeat over dressing room trauma.

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +50 785/1500 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I love that you give paper to kids! That's such a great gift. When I encounter children at a stage where they enjoy drawing, I always try to get some paper into their hands because it seems there's never enough at a time when an abundance is what is called for. One of those "children" is finishing up his graphic design degree at college this semester.

Hugs for nationalparker and family!
  • Good morning, Coaches.

Traveling in San Francisco - past BBE's Redwoods. Taking the boys to Stinson Beach. Tracking with W W and it is going ok not great. We'll see. Best to all. Loved AZTricia's Quote.
  • Hello. Ate on plan today - continuing my streak since I've been at my folks. In fact, I had a good week before coming here as well. Ate a larger lunch and think that helped as my small dinner was sufficient and I'm not hungry going into night.

Days have been busy with appointments and scheduling stuff, quick marketing runs for this and that to see if Dad will be able to eat stuff, and tonight I ran out to see if I could find him some smaller sweatpants - his fall off him and I completely lucked out with two great pair very inexpensive. I hope they work out and are comfortable. I thought he'd get mad, and told Mom I could just return them, but I think he will try them. He doesn't want a "fuss" made. But he's so uncomfortable with everything.

I tried on a few pair of capris while out, and at least nothing was too tight, but was disappointed that I don't look like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing. To me, that's what capris should look like. But that will never be the case, and I'd better get used to that. GardenerJoy, I hope you had more luck with your shopping. I have never used a personal shopper. Do you ever feel that they're urging you to purchase something you might not otherwise? How does that work?

Bill - Love the sharing of the legal pads. Clever and they'll remember your kindness down the line, too.

Safe travels to those who are on the road!
  • gastric bypass and Smokey the Bear
    Coaches

You gotta wonder what Google assumes about you when the ad on top is natural gastric bypass $480 and then Smokey the Bear "get your smokey on!" Whatever that's supposed to mean.
    So I finished up at the dentist. My teeth routine has tripled in length. Thankfully I love the water pick but was told I still have to floss.today I had that hygienist I didn't like before but in the two years since I've been there she's developed a personality. Credit Her. She was quite funny. She confirmed my top right molar at the back is loose but no predicting when/if it'll drop out or get infected so it has to come out.she said I could even just swallow it one day as I am eating and not even know it. I challenged that but she assured me it's happened, mostly with kids and baby teeth and frantic visits by parents wondering what to do (nothing. It passes or gets reabsorbed). And every once in a while a grown up does the same thing. Now I don't want to be one of them.

Foodwise I am getting nowhere fast. Cannot get regrouped and back into the steps. Will keep trying to work it out. MIL wants us over for Easter Sunday dinner. Well bring my mom and the visit will be shorter. She wants me to bring dessert. Another day to avoid food pushing and the temptation of stupid easter bunnies everywhere. Can't tell you the gauntlet I have run the last few days. It feels like there is more of that stuff out there this year than ever.

Will check in in the a.m. I send best wishes out to all who read this.

BBE: found out I was not chosen for the art event near Boston. Sad about this for sure but there's always next year and there's always another equally interesting thing to do.I would have enjoyed the opportunity of a face to face Beck hello though.Oh well, eh....

LEXXISS: I tweaked my back as I held lightweight ceramic pot with one hand and twisted around to get a decent photo of it with the other hand. I'm way better now and hope you are too.

NATIONAL PARKER: Kudos for time spent at your parents trying to figure out how to help them. My thoughts are with you. Please take good care.

GARDENERJOY: It was when you said your tractor had a plow attachment that I LOLed out loud (that's redundant isn't it? LOL). All I pictured was an impatient gardener pushing the snow out of the way so she/he could get started already. If your plow could actually get spring underway just by plowing you'd be richer than Croesus.
  • Quick check in today before I walk pup again and head to bed. I'm disappointed because this is my first off plan day since the beginning of the year. I will be on track tomorrow with the lesson that trying to rush weight loss is just not going to work. I need to NOT be hungry which means eating a reasonable amount of calories (for me) and not trying to exercise away extra pounds because it just makes me hungry. Lesson learned...back on track for tomorrow.
  • Good Friday
    Coaches - I tried to get on top of some chores today but still have more to go. I also went and bought more food. I love the few religious holidays where normally the world stops - everything is closed. It is an opportunity to just stop - and do whatever without the pressure of errands and shopping etc. Not so any more - my local vegetable and fish market were open. Good thing since I had no fish but sad.

Had a rudimentary plan today that didn't include hot cross buns - which I bought at the market and ate (only 2 and threw out the other 4). Hopefully reading the Diet Fix this weekend, when I finish the chores, will put me back on track. I feel a bit lacklustre at the moment about it all

Tricia - great quote from Beck Facebook. Thanks for sharing it. Credit for lessons learned and plans made. I am getting the idea that the Diet Fix is pretty strong on not getting hungry - hence snacks and high protein. Will get to that part eventually...

Gardenerjoy - enjoy your shopping trip. I don't think separates are a problem but I find most dress code rules highly mysterious.

Nationalparker - know exactly what you mean about capris. Reminds me of Gidget but perhaps before your time Credit for taking so much effort to work out what works best for you dad - hope he likes his new pants

Onebyone - LOL at gastric bypass and Smokey the Bear - I am always interested by the ads that stalk me around the internet. Teeth do fall out - a few of mine did because of problems like you seem to have. But they have firmed up now with care. Some people are genetically predisposed to have "issues". Hope things get back on track for you with your plan.
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym session was Amped Arms and Abs, CREDIT moi. Wish the intersection of my schedule and the gym's allowed this three times a week. I sure could use it. But accept that it's progress. Walked to the library to return four items early to admit to myself that I wasn't going to read them; they will so kindly keep them on their shelves should I change my mind. It remains a challenge for me to not-read-a-book once I've touched it.

Got skewered for dinner. I'd planned to stop at some favorite local restaurant after an evening lecture that we'd attend after we visited the new exhibit at a favorite museum. We timed our visit to the hour before the nearby lecture - an efficient and clever use of our time. Neither bothered to notice that the museum wasn't open that hour. Drat. Ended up using the suddenly-available hour to get dinner together at a students' cafeteria. Portions were monstrous! We split one clam shell of food yet I had more than needed for a meal. I'm still struggling to leave restaurant food. I'll take CREDIT moi for the split and for the reasonable choice of a chicken dish despite being surrounded with fried everything else. And JOY moi for taking DW out to dinner for $5.95 total, LOL. I'm not cheap - the plastic utensils were of the better kind.

onebyone – Share your consternation over the "stupid easter bunnies everywhere." Is fruit salad an acceptable dessert to bring to Easter Sunday dinner? With biscotti or cookies for the others that you could skip? Yep, "keep trying" is the way forward. [Drat for the lost opportunity for a Boston meet-up.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm impressed. I'll register it as super self confidence to employ a personal shopper. Kudos for that and for recognizing that you can prepare yourself for the "dressing room trauma."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I, too, miss that life used to have moments that stopped. Ouch for hot cross buns with Kudos for tossing the remaining four. I lust for those every year and have to remind myself that my childhood joy eating them doesn't happen as an adult; there're just sweet rolls with sugar on top.

maryann - Wave to my Redwoods as you pass Muir Woods. In just a few more miles north you could wave to Point Reyes that so completely won my heart. Hope WW works well for you.

nationalparker – Doesn't matter - I'll adopt my mental image of you as "Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing" since it's useful to me to visualize who I'm writing to. Seems that most men, particularly military men, have this thing about "fuss" made. Kudos for taking the risk to make him more comfortable. And continued Kudos for keeping your eating plan in mind.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Thanks for the Beck quote about the missed highway exit. Super Kudos for lesson learned "that trying to rush weight loss is just not going to work." In other threads it's been pointed out that the Bikini push before summer begins is a great setup for failure.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 14 Plan for Tomorrow
    ...Once I accept the fact that I have to
    write a food plan every evening for the
    .....next day, dieting will be easier.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 139.
  • Hello to all,

Friday weigh-in joy: down five pounds. So bizarre. I know I did not eat less or exercise more while on vacation. Last Friday's gain must have just been to fake me out. Or maybe today's loss is. Now I'm all...hey...ate more, exercised less, lost five pounds. That's a strategy I can get behind. Followed by, oh no, I'm losing weight faster than recommended (I'm not when I look at the average loss per week), I *need* to eat a lot more. I have equally sabotaging thoughts when I gain weight. Feh. No exercise today.

Joy: Oooh. I've been planning on hitting up Nordstroms when I'm back in the States, and at a lower weight to boot. My current pants look like cartoon hobo pants tied with rope because I have to cinch 'em down with a belt to keep them on. (Yay!) Anyway, I've alwasy been curious about the Nordstrom personal shopping service. Are they on commission? When they work with you, do you feel pressure or guilt if you don't buy? Do they respect your comfort zone for price? Also, how much tailoring can you get for free...hems, sure, but can the tailor take-in a too big waist for example? I'm glad you've got a good plan with good foods; you will rock the wedding outfit.

Maryann: I love Stinson beach, so pretty and it makes me feel very small (in a good way). When I first got back from vacation, I mistook you for a new member. Then I read your posts and you still have the same voice. Lovely pic, by the way.

Nationalparker: I'm impressed that you are still posting, let alone OP, along with everything else going on. Kudos for both.

Onebyone: Credit for the attitude of "I'll keep working on it."

Tricia:
    Quote:
    this is my first off plan day since the beginning of the year.
    Whoa! THAT is a huge success! 100+ days OP!

Cheryl: Credit for throwing out two. Missed your exit, but got right back to it. I've never seen a hot crossed bun. Delicious? I'll go google next.

BBE: It was a kayak built for two and so totally untippable that I put my three year old in the front seat by herself. High class plastic--hey, big spender.

G'night, all. Sweet dreams.