Binged, and now regretting it.

• I feel pretty bad because yesterday I ended up doing about an 8,000 calorie binge (second time I've ever binged - first tie was three days ago and I ate 7,000 calories) and now my stomach is paying for it today. It wasn't through candy though, so I guess it could be worse. I ended up eating about 8oz of pork, 12 eggs, 5 peanut butter sandwiches, 3 sausages, a block of cheese, a tub of greek yogurt, and then some. I also did double workout out of guilt. I'm currently 119 lbs so I'm hoping I didn't gain too much. Should I just continue with proper eating and exercise today or should I fast you think? I've been receiving multiple opinions. Also, how long do you think it will take before my body does show the weight gain? Should I do double exercise? I have been drinking a lot of water today to try and flush out some of the water weight.

Please note that two years ago I was 245 lbs, and lost weight through good eating and daily exercise. The past 3 months I was only eating one meal a day, a heavy meal of mostly veggies, but the calories added up to 1,500. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder because I keep thinking that if I eat I will gain the weight back.
  • Hi,

In my opinion, you have your next meal to get it right.
    Fasting would be the worst thing as it will set you up for a binge.
    Just try to leave it in the past and move forward with next meal.
  • When I have a day where I binge, I promptly forgive myself and get back on plan - and I don't weigh myself for at least a week.
  • Remember that what drives us crazy is the behavior (the binging) not the weight. Don't freak out about the calories. You are the same beautiful person that you were before you ever lost the weight. Please know that someone out there has been in your shoes (myself). You are not alone. I wish I could give you a hug right now because I know this feeling.
  • Well, I would not worry about the eggs. So you can discount those. I've done that many, at least, before and they probably did me good.
  • Quote: I feel pretty bad because yesterday I ended up doing about an 8,000 calorie binge (second time I've ever binged - first tie was three days ago and I ate 7,000 calories) and now my stomach is paying for it today. It wasn't through candy though, so I guess it could be worse. I ended up eating about 8oz of pork, 12 eggs, 5 peanut butter sandwiches, 3 sausages, a block of cheese, a tub of greek yogurt, and then some. I also did double workout out of guilt. I'm currently 119 lbs so I'm hoping I didn't gain too much. Should I just continue with proper eating and exercise today or should I fast you think? I've been receiving multiple opinions. Also, how long do you think it will take before my body does show the weight gain? Should I do double exercise? I have been drinking a lot of water today to try and flush out some of the water weight.

Please note that two years ago I was 245 lbs, and lost weight through good eating and daily exercise. The past 3 months I was only eating one meal a day, a heavy meal of mostly veggies, but the calories added up to 1,500. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder because I keep thinking that if I eat I will gain the weight back.
    You are saying that you never binged before until a few days ago. If you fast, you are more likely to set yourself up to binge again. What you've described seems to be a pretty common reaction to dieting. Apparently our brains are wired to urge us to store up food after periods of starvation (dieting). It's a survival mechanism and has nothing to do with will power or self-discipline. You can learn to over-ride the urge to binge and it isn't all that difficult, especially if you prevent it from becoming an entrenched habit. Meanwhile, I agree with the other posters who say to put it behind you and start fresh. Avoiding hunger will help, too.

There are some good books out there to help. I liked Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. The author cured herself of bulimia and her method works for binge eating too.

Huge congratulations on your success! If you could make all those healthy changes, then you surely have whatever it takes to solve this bump in the road.
  • Thank you everyone for the support. I've gone back to my 1,500 calories a day plan both yesterday and today. Someone told me that since I exercised on the same day as the binge that that might have cut off some of the excessive fat? Not too sure about that. I'm also told that if I have mostly veggies and fruit for the next 3-4 days that it will help flush out some of the sodium in my system.
  • It might sound counter-intuitive but I think drinking extra water will help flush out the sodium, too. Maybe an extra liter. (you can get sick if you overdo water).