Steel Magnolias #75

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Good morning, ladies! 46 degrees and overcast. The forecast called for sleet to begin around 7 and then turn to rain and back to snow tonight. Hopefully that's not going to happen as its already warmer than predicted for today. I don't see sleet or snow at this temp.

Faye, Congratulations on the big loss! I'm sure your sweater will be beautiful. You do such lovely work.

Jean, I've had to have the Fish and Wildlife come and trap raccoons and move them. We have some huge ones. They told me to call if I see them in the daytime, especially, because the carry rabies.

Maggie, what's up this day with you?
  • Terrific Tuesday
    GOOD AFTERNOON IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I have been MIA because when I usually post that time has been used for typing indexes for the recipes I still have in my 5 ½ x 8 ½ ring binders. I went through them awhile back and took out recipes that I shouldn’t have saved in the first place but they looked good then or I had two of the very same recipes because the magazine had reprinted it years later. Anyway I had my files stored on a thumb drive and it somehow got corrupted just sitting there. Well my intention was to go through the indexes and remove the recipes listed that I had tossed. Since I couldn’t access the files I am having to type them all over and it has been quite an undertaking. Anyway that is my “reason” and I am sticking to it. Not anything exciting to report anyway.

We all went to the groomer yesterday except Cecil of course. I got my hair cut shorter and spikey which suits my style since it is getting so thin. Will had his head shaved and his beard trimmed and the dogs both got trimmed and bathed. We all look nice and fresh once again.

JEAN Our weather has been in the 50’s but with a sharp wind blowing which isn’t pleasant at all. I’ll be so glad when I don’t have to go outside with a wrap. We are going to have some huge yard sales and what doesn’t sell we will donate.

DONNA FAYE on your huge loss. You lose in chunks but do you also gain in chunks? When I lost every week that 6 month period I only lost a pound or a pound and a half each week. I have never experienced such a great loss as you have. You go girlfriend ~ you will be at goal in no time if you keep to it.

SUSAN That was good advice about the racoons for they are creatures that come out at night unless they are sick. I hope you don't get that lousy weather that they predicted for your area.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
  • Good morning, ladies! Only 36 degrees today. We did end up with rain, sleet and snow yesterday but only a dusting and it's gone now. We haven't had snow in April since 1940 so we are all hoping that this is the last of the winter weather. My daffodils and crocus are blooming.

Tomorrow is Glory Bee (quilting bee) and Glory and I are hosting a full English Tea for the ladies. and then Friday is English Paper Piecing at Bella.

Gloria Steinman turns 80 today. Women's Rights, burning bras, what hoopla she started. She's going for an elephant ride in Narobi to celebrate.

Maggie, I use Mastercook and have for many years. Its about $20 and wonderful for it lets me type, scan, or load recipes directly from websites and I can organize them in cookbooks. It also computes the nutritional info based on the USDA stats. I have the recipes on my computer, a thumb drive and stored in the Microsoft cloud.

Have a wonderful day.
  • Afternoon gals. Cool here today. Have to hurry and post as I have to leave in just a few, run by the mail and send my prescriptions to express scripts then go and get Jack.

Both the pharmacy doctor and my gp are very pleased with my blood sugar situations and how I am doing. I have to go back and see Dr Bruijn in 3 months, but I am cut down to only one pill and just a little over half the insulin so I am coming down little by little. I feel really good since I have been off the hormones too. I had to have a blood test today to check my a1c so hope it has come down drastically too, which I am sure it has.

I got a $23 credit on Amazon for Kindle and a $7 credit on ITunes from some settlement over overcharging or something. I promptly order a couple new books that haven't come out yet for Kindle and put an album on my Ipad, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, my favorite group. You can't listen to their music and not get happy!

Susan: Brr little bit cold still at your house it sounds like. We should be in capri weather by the weekend. Wow can't believe she is that age, but then I graduated high school over 40 years ago so I guess time rolls on.

Maggie: I pretty much put everything on my Ipad now. I find a recipe online I like and I just mail it to myself and then stick it in a folder in my mail account then can pull it up and use it straight from my Ipad. I do the same with my knitting patterns. Better than having to print everything out all the time for sure.

Jean: Hope you are doing well. Have to run!

have a great day all. Faye
  • Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and we are in a wind advisory until 8:00 tonight. I wonder how "they" know the wind will slow down, or stop, at that time. This was my morning to work in the gift shop; I wasn't busy but saw several people I knew. I bought flowers and took them up to my co-bell ringer. The nurses were working on her so I didn't get to see her. I got a much needed hair cut after lunch, and will go to bell practice in a little while.

Susan -- What are you serving at your tea? We did have a raccoon visit a couple times this winter. We caught one in a live trap a few years ago and he was really mad. When Bob took him out in the country to let him go, he had rigged up some sort of pole to release the trap door. He put the cage on the ground and got up in the back of the pickup to open the door. He was afraid the coon would turn around and attack him. Fortunately, he just took foo running as fast as he could -- the coon, not Bob.

Maggie -- I don't envy you typing recipes. Good luck! Glad you like your new "do."

"Gma" -- It sounds like you have had a busy day " on the run." What a nice surprise to get the credits and be able to spend them on something you will enjoy. I'm so glad your numbers are moving in the right direction and hope you can get off the meds all together.

I need to change clothes and head off to church. Enjoy your evening!
  • Good Morning! It is raining in my neighborhood this morning. We need it badly. The robins are happy! I went to church to help put together the monthly newsletter, which I haven't done for several months. Two of the "older" ladies couldn't help this morning. I need to make a grocery list and head to the store after lunch. Bob went with a bunch of farmer friends to visit another farmer's collection of refurbished tractors and farm equipment. Crafty club was supposed to get together this afternoon but the hostess has the flu so canceled. I have lots of things I could work on, trick is to decide which to tackle.

Hope you all enjoy your day!
  • Good evening gals. We had internet service down all day in our area and it just came back up a bit ago so I couldn't get in to post. I could have used my Ipad, but it takes too long so I decided just to wait.

I just sat and read mostly today. I stayed up too late last night and got up with Jack at 5 AM so I am kind of pooped today and dragging my feet. I did my chores and a load of laundry, took and shower, etc, but that was about it. The house is cleaned for the moment and we will go grocery shopping on Saturday this time as we are taking Thomas out to Owen Brennan's with his parents for Sunday brunch. They are pricey, but their food is really good and a nice variety of choices.

I did all my bill paying so that is done. Several things are auto pay so I just have to put them in my checkbook, but I paid the stuff online that had to be paid. We have direct tv, which I really like, but I hate their stupid website. It is hard to maneuver around and you have to make the screen 75% just to see the place where you sign in. It is a pain.

Jean: I saw on tv an advertisement for trash bags that have some type of smell on them that keeps raccoons out of your trash. I wonder if it would work for squirrels too. I know mint is used to detract some animals. Hope you had a good day today. We are raining cats and dog at the moment and supposed to rain all night.

Everyone have a good evening. Faye
  • Good morning girls. It is mild and wet here this morning. We had some really hard thunderstorms on and off from about 5 PM last night. Of course it is dreary this morning.

I kept the car and am going to go get my nails done and pick up some stuff from Walmart that the commissary is hit and miss with having. I found some really good chicken sausage at Krogers and am going to see if Walmart has it while I am there. I get my nails done in their salon there at the store so it is convenient for sure.

Jack has one more full week of light duty then back to the doctor and probably back on full duty then the second week of April. He seems to be much better and not hurting now so we are hopeful it all healed up well.

I have been reading all the cat who books that I have missed. The library has quite a few, but I am almost caught up on all they have so probably will have to fork out money if I want to read the latest ones. I have read some reviews that were not favorable with her late books and it may have been her age as she was in her 90's when she died and had a book partially written that was never published I guess.

Well gals, I need to go shower and get dressed. Am debating about wearing capris today, but will probably stick to long pants for a bit longer. Have a nice weekend all. Faye
  • Good Afternoon! It's another cloudy, windy, cold day in my corner of the world. At noon the weatherman said the weather isn't going to warm up much for another week. *sigh* I've been working on the afghan this morning. I called my friend who is still in the hospital. Her leg is numb so she is having therapy, and won't be going home any time soon. No one seems to know how long that might last. They are also waiting for the biopsy results on her liver. She is single with an elderly mother who still lives in her own home and a sister who is going through chemo for breast cancer. Guess my "problems" are pretty minute.

"Gma" -- Sunday brunch sounds like fun! I know you always enjoy spending time with your family. We had a couple good thunder booms when it rained. It's been so long that I wasn't sure what it was at first. Glad that Jack is on the mend and feeling better. Who or what is the "cat who" books?

I need to get a load of laundry going, and get back to the afghan.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
  • Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

It is a lovely warm day without the wind blowing here in the ♥-Land. I am a happy camper for my small light weight hand held Mandoline arrived today and it is trick. It cuts slices or juliennes into 3 different thicknesses. It is very light and I can now sell my larger one that is in a case.

We drove to a nearby town where I was told to go to have blood drawn to check my Thyroid and they didn’t have the order from my doctor so it will mean I will have to go back when they do get the authorization for she was out on a call when they tried to contact her today. I will have that to do another day. Will isn’t in any pain today from having that broken tooth removed and the stainless steel post planted down in the bone a ways. He will have to go back the later part of April to get the thin post that goes inside of this one that the tooth attaches to. Then it will be about 3 months for it to all heal then he can have the tooth crown attached to the post. When it is all done they will adjust his partial to fit nicely and he can chew again on that side.

I am making a scrambled egg dish tonight for dinner for it will be easy for Will to eat. I will also make some of my light biscuits. My cooking will be different for awhile since he can only eat softer foods and chew on one side of his mouth. We might just both lose some weight these next few months while his mouth is being worked on.

I have just about got all my binder cook books fixed up with updated indexes. The one I am working on is the largest index for it is for two binders since it is the “Main” index. I have actually been enjoying this project for I have re-visited the recipes that I have saved through the years and there are some real yummy ones that I remember making and glad that I have them still.

JEAN You can please keep your cloudy, windy, cold days there for we have had enough of them here. Does your friend have a pinched nerve in her back that is causing her leg to be numb? There is a nerve that runs down the back of the leg up the back. That is the one that I have pinched that gives me "drop foot."

DONNA FAYE What caused the internet to crash in your area? What fun to take your family to a nice place like that. Enjoy and let us know what you chose to eat. Get some sleep tonight!

• Good morning gals. It rained and thundered overnight and is cool this morning, but our warm up begins and looks like we are well on our way to spring finally. I was woken from sleep by something in the vacant condo next door. I went to the door, turned on the light and leaned my head out the door and what a racket. Something turned on, and the only thing out there is the AC unit, but it sounded like a million locusts making noise all at once. It turned off just a minute ago, but I sure hope we don't have to deal with that all the time. I climbed all over the guys working yesterday for blocking my garage with their vehicles when I got home from shopping. I told him not to park there again that they weren't allowed to block people's garages. I was tired, needed to eat and my knee was killing me so I was not kind. It won't do any good, they do what the heck they darn well please.

Today is commissary day. Oh what fun, but at least Jack's ribs aren't hurting now and he can carry in groceries. Let me tell you doing that is a job in itself. Carrying up the laundry is a chore too because I can't walk up stairs without the rail so these past few weeks I have had to clunk the basket up a few stairs then climb up after it and so on until I got to the top where I would shove it onto the landing and climb up the rest of the way. I have been doing smaller loads too as I have had to carry it downstairs and can only carry it one handed so I can hold onto the rail so the basket can't be completely full. So besides the fact I am glad he is no longer hurting, I am sure glad he can go back to doing chores he has always done for me.

Jack started watching basketball tourney stuff last night and gave up on them when they seemed to get out of hand points wise. Tennessee almost won though. They caught up, (Jack had to check before going to bed of course) and were even, but lost by 2 pts in the last couple seconds of the game. I don't know how Iowa did.

Jean: You have never read the "Cat Who" books? Oh my gosh. You are sure to be able to get them on your Ipad or at the library. The author is Lillian Jackson Braun and she wrote about 25 of the things. They are an easy read though the first one or two I think the main character hadn't adopted KoKo. The man character is a newspaperman and KoKo is this cat who is super smart and can "solve" things. I think you would like them. They aren't very involved and I can sit down and read them through pretty quickly. The first in the series is The Cat Who Could Read Backwards.
    Try to read them in order as the guy's life progresses and he ends up with 2 Siamese through most of the books, a female named Yum Yum joins the cast. If you need a list of the books, google her or the cat who books and wikipedia has a list.

Maggie: Hope Will feels better and better with the tooth thing. Sounds like you are getting things going for the rv. I am sure you are anxious to get the show on the road.

Well, I hear Jack up and around. Have a great day all. Faye
  • Good Morning! The sun is shining, just a breeze blowing, and it's supposed to be in the 50s by afternoon. I hope so. I've been on the phone with a customer support person who actually spoke English! I have a friend who uses a Shark steam mop which we borrowed, and it works much better than the one I have now. I ordered one and Bob put it together this morning. There are two heads, a rectangle one and a smaller triangle one. I was missing the smaller one which fits behind the toilet. This is my gripe about Amazon -- they often order/ship from a different company and that's what happened. The machines have two different model numbers. The rep said what I ordered and what I got is the same machine although they have different numbers. When I explained about the triangle piece she said, "oh!" So they are sending the missing piece plus extra cleaning pads for my inconvenience. Not bad for a few minutes on the phone. Bob is off on his Saturday morning rounds and I need to do some laundry then work on the afghan. I'll get that done yet, just wish it were smaller so I could take it with me when I know I'm going to have to wait somewhere.

Bob has mentioned painting the smaller bedroom where my pc is located. He thinks he needs his own desk in there. I'm not sure how sharing space is going to work. Summer will be ok because he can spend hours putting in the garage and out in the yard. Winter, I'm concerned about!

Maggie -- Last summer when I called for a mammogram appointment, which I have always made myself, I was told I needed the order to come from my doctor. Not a problem but took extra time leaving a voice mail for his nurse, and her to let me know they faxed the order. Glad to hear Will has no pain with his tooth. The post part does sound like pain though. I've been going through some old recipes, but one came up on Facebook last night. It's called Shipwreck and Bob's mom used to fix it. It's actually a scout recipe Bob made in tinfoil over a camp fire: hamburger, onion, potatoes, carrots, and tomato soup. This recipe added rice and celery. I remember it smelling so good.

"Gma" -- Do you think there might be people staying in the condo when the workmen aren't there? How very rude of them to block your driveway! Did they move their vehicles for you? We had the Iowa game on last night, they couldn't do anything right and Connecticut couldn't miss. Bob said there were a couple of bad ref calls against Iowa. They were behind the whole game, usually 10-12 points, but came back to lose by 4. I will have to look for the "Cat Who" books.

I am dressed and need to get busy! Hope you all enjoy a sunny nice day!
  • Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it was 57 degrees on our way home from church. We stayed after first service to drink coffee and visit until lunch was served at 11. The youth group grilled hamburgers and hot dogs to raise money, for postage, to send care packages for the military. Came home to a plant dumped on the floor so "the boys" must have had some sort of disagreement. Lucky for them the 46 1/2 year old plant was still in one piece! I have no ambition right now but need to continue working on the afghan. I just put some squirrel and bird food out on the deck. There are honey bees swarming and landing on the corn and the hanging bird feeders. We've never had that happen before.

I need to check the dryer as I forgot to get the sheets out last night. Most likely one or the other will still be damp. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Sunny Windy Sunday

It has been a wonderful day up in the 70s and would have been perfect if the wind wasn’t blowing. Guess we can’t have everything at once though.

I finally have all my indexes typed and then I chanced to try that thumb drive before tossing it and it worked so I saved my newly typed ones on it and deleted the old ones. I also kept my newly typed ones on my computer. Now I need to make some decisions which cook books I want to keep and the weight of them will play a good part if I keep them or not. I do want to keep one of the books that is a total cookbook like Betty Crocker’s. And of course a few of the many WW ones I have.

Tomorrow I am going to go out to the kitchen and make some more decisions on what to keep for the MH and what to put in boxes for a yard sale. We noticed when out and about Saturday that folks have already started having yard sales. Will is going to the DMV and get the MH license so when we get ready we can bring it over here from our storage place and get some of the things put up in it that we have gotten for it. We will get personal plates for it when we decide which state we decide to get a mail box and so want to have the plates for it in that state. We are currently looking at a couple places for the Jeep tags are due in July so we will have to make a trip and get tags for it by then. We will get the MH personal tags there also at a later date.

JEAN I have heard those steam mops are great. We are thinking of getting one for the MH and the "Shark" sounds like it will be it. That recipe in foil sounds yummy!

DONNA FAYE Yep I am anxious to get on the road again but have a lot to get done before that can happen. Baseball season is close ~ very close.

• Good morning girls. Busy day yesterday and sad to say I am back to spotting and cramping and such so am having to deal with that again. I am not going to worry about it, but dealing with all of it is uncomfortable. We shall see how it plays out this time since I have no artificial hormones in my body now.

We had a nice time with the kids yesterday. Thomas told us all about the cruise and how they had one selection per night on the menu that was "Have you ever tried.....?" He said he ate, alligator, frog legs, oysters, escargot, and a couple other things. Thomas said the alligator was fried in batter and all you tasted was corn meal like hush puppies and everything else was drowned in butter. Not many kids would have even tried it, but he tried them all. He ate oysters on the half shell yesterday along with peel and eat shrimp. They have really good food, but they have changed and now only allow parties of 5 or more for brunch so Jack and I can't go just by ourselves. The place was packed yesterday so obviously no one is complaining and staying away in protest.

I finished paying bills online, bought 2 pair of scrunch shoes from Payless, and 2 pairs of cotton capris from Walmart online this morning for the cruise. I can finally start wearing them and shorts and sandals. It is going to be in the 70's all week this week!! I wore sandals to lunch yesterday and they fit better than last year. I am hoping my feet don't swell this summer so everything fits. Maybe with losing weight they won't.

Jean: No, we would have heard someone next door if they were "squatting." The walls are pretty thin here and you can hear water run through their pipes over by the living room coat closet. I think they turned it on Friday and forgot to turn it back up. Tom told me to go over and turn off the power at the outside if it gets too bad and I may just do that, but haven't heard it come back on for awhile and it didn't overnight so that is all I care about. When we have the fans on in the house you can't hear outside stuff. I had a steam mop for a long time, but when we put in the tile, I don't know what I will do. I like the steam mop, but I like this one I have that uses cleaner too. I like it because the head swivels so you can mope in tight areas like between the toilet and wall, etc. It is like a Swiffer mop, but it is a lot longer and has a scrubber on the front for marks and stuff.

Maggie: The Cubs season opener starts today in Pittsburgh I think Jack said. They has screwed this team up so much I don't even know who is playing this year. Have fun going through your cookbooks.

Everyone have a great start to their week. Faye
    [/COLOR]