Ups & Downs Support Group: March 2014

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • 1life, I am on a prescription appetite suppressant too and the dry mouth is normal but a sign that you should be drinking more water. If you are drinking at least 8 glasses a day and still have dry mouth, you can chew peppermint gum. I think you should try to get your calorie intake up a bit, as yours a quite low. Maybe a protein drink like Atkins? It's low in sugar and carbs but high in the good things like protein and nutrients. Just a thought. I've lost 11 lbs so far and am just amazed and grateful that my doctor recommended the appetite suppressant. Portion control is KEY to my loss to date. Good luck!

Ohio free spirit, I've heard of DeVry too but I only live about 2 hours away from Ohio. Well done with the grade! Keep up the good work.
  • I know I haven't posted here in a while but I thought I'd just check in. So far, so good! I have been weaning off of Cymbalta by taking smaller and smaller doses each month. Turns out that I picked a really stressful time to do this, since life has become especially hectic, but nevertheless it seems to be going well. I even skipped a few days because my prescription ran out and I didn't notice a single withdrawal side effect. Which means my dose is already so low that I could quit now. Soooo different from quitting Effexor! Cymbalta has been a much more effective medication and has also been much easier to quit.

I think I am going to quit next month. I have a doctor appointment in a couple weeks. I think what I'll do is take my (low-dose) meds, keep my appointment, and make another for four weeks post-quitting to check in and see how I am doing. If I am really stressed and not coping well, I can always go back on a really low dose.
  • Hello!
    Hello Everyone! A quick check-in before my hubby and I head out for an overnight away. We are going to a concert (Phil Vassar) in Indianapolis. I spoke with my psychiatrist about my low thyroid levels. He shared my concern that my "Free T4" level was definitely low, and that is the ACTIVE component which regulates metabolism. He called my primary doc and I called him, too, to argue for treatment. So my doctor called in a small dose prescription for my thyroid. I am hopeful that, if my thyroid gets regulated, I might actually be able to shed some weight finally (assuming I keep eating right and exercising). I don't think the treatment can hurt. If anything, it should help. So that is a relief.

Good to hear from everyone!!! Keep on posting!!! I PM'd lilturtle and she never responded, so I will just keep her in my prayers. Hope we eventually hear back from her.

shr1nk1ngme: Welcome back!!! So happy to see a post from you!!! Hope you know you are ALWAYS welcome here, regardless of how much or how little you post.

ohiofreespirit: I am in Ohio, too, and know about DeVry. A good friend of ours graduated from there. A low A is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

1life2liv: Great that your appetite suppressant is working, but 700-900 calories per day doesn't sound like nearly enough calories to me. I've always heard that you should at least consume 1200 calories per day to keep your metabolism going. Maybe your dose is too high??? That being said, I WANT some of your appetite suppressant!!!
  • Hi ladies,

I am online doing homework. I am trying to make an outline for a project. The key word here is trying. I'm about to call it a night tonight and get some rest.

I just wanted to check in and let you all know I was thinking about you all.
  • So its only been a couple days and I was able to communicate much more effectively than reading a weeks worth of posts at once. I found myself feeling smaller today. I have actually been officially dieting since the new year and have lost 18 total as of my last weigh in. But today I felt like my stomach was smaller, and my rings were fitting especially loose on my fingers today. I know it could be in my head and I hope im not devastated when I get on the scale Wednesday.

Another thing..... reaching out, again. I struggle a lot with my self image. I always have. even when I had a "ROCKIN" body, I though I was fat. I find myself feeling encouragement and then following it with negative words. For example today, when I felt like my stomach was possibly smaller I caught myself next thinking "what ever. its all in youre head. when you've lost 100 pounds, then you can be proud." I have this about me and find it very hard to get passed. Also since I cant find appreciation and encouragement from my self, I am constantly seeking it from others. My life is consumed by what other people think of me. I just want to be me for me!!!!!!!!!!

Okie dokie folks lol. I hope I haven't shared too much. I have a lot bottled up and this is the first time I have found a place where there are people with the same struggles as me.

semperfiddle: thanks so much for your input!!! I'm glad to hear that you are having some luck with the appetite suppressant. it gives me hope!!!!!!!! Also its funny that you mention a protein drink. Actually today I was at work and notice my protein percent was low for the day so I stopped and got a muscle milk. Thanks again for the feedback!!

shr1: HI!!! Its goo to meet you! I just thought I would share that getting meds regulated is soooooo stressful to me!! I have been going to a med doctor 1-3 times per month, EVERY MONTH for over a year trying to regulate me meds. I finally just got the good news last week that I am regulated and they don't need to see me again for 6 months (as long as there are no changes, of course. ) I about fell out of my chair!! So my thoughts go out to you as you seem to be going through a little of the same thing.

IBelieveInMe2: I think youre right about me needing a little bit more calories. The only downfall I'm finding when I try to consume more is that I get too full and feel sick. I suffered from bulimia for over seven years and I still literally get sick if I over eat. BUT the good news is that my NEVER ENDING APPETITE is gone!!!!! YAY!!!

ohiofreespirit: BLAH!!!!!!!! Don't even mention homework lol. totally get the whole TRYING to do homework thing. it seems like I spend a ratio of 10 hours trying to 1 hour of succeeding to do homework. I am so burnt out with school right now. I figured it up and I have been in school for 19 years of my life. IM ONLY 24!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my major and what im studying but my brain just does not like to focus or concentrate on school anymore. its like I open a book and my brain hides (: Any how my prayers go out to you in your journey through school!!!!

I think that's PLENTY from me tonight. As always good luck to everyone and stay awesome!!!!! xoxoxox
  • self-image
    1life2liv: I can certainly relate to struggling with self-image! What you described is much how I am, too. I think it is a great sign, though, that you felt smaller yesterday!!! GO WITH IT!!! Fight through those negative feelings. Catching the negative thoughts is the first step to changing them!!! So I think you are making PROGRESS!!! Please feel free to share as much (or as little) as you want here. Chances are that one of us (at least) will be able to relate to your thoughts and feelings. I am so happy that you feel comfortable here!!! You are a very welcome addition to our group!

ohiofreespirit: Thanks for checking in! Keep on plugging away at your school work! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Waving hello to everyone else!
  • Howdy y'all! I've been catching up on sleep and also busy-busy-busy, so I haven't had time to post for a couple of days. Now I'm getting somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 hours a night, so I feel much less frazzled. I took a walk around the neighborhood on Friday—actually down and then back up a substantial hill, so I worked my legs hard enough to be sore the next day. It felt good! Still eating the same old stuff, but I have added back the half-cup of muesli a day, since it definitely stabilizes my mood. My appetite has improved: at least now I can detect hunger signals that tell me when to stop writing or making art and have a package of turkey or something. I definitely don't eat at defined meal times, I mean except for always having coffee with cream first thing in the morning. The cream is my breakfast: it gives me energy for hours!

So that's about all I have to report. It sounds good, Kathleen, that you're getting your thyroid issues sorted out. Best wishes to all...I've had a long day because our niece and grand-nephew came over tonight. I'm really enjoying the fact that they live so close. I hope I can get another walk in tomorrow...
  • Hi ladies,

I hope this post finds you all well.

Fi, I am so glad you are getting more rest. Sleep does the body good and good for you, getting that walk in.

1life2liv, Thank you so much for the prayers. I really need all I can get. I want to graduate so badly. I want a better life for myself. I desire to learn and grow as a person but at the same time, I don't want to get sick from anxiety either. Next session, I go to 2 classes, math and business. Please, keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

IBelieveInMe2, Thank you so much for your support in my schooling. I need that so much and especially in May, I will need it more than ever as I start 2 classes. I am so excited about learning and growing as a person but I am worried about the extra workload I will be taking on so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Have a wonderful few days, friends. I will check back in soon, I promise. Much love to all.
  • I have more energy!!!
    Howdy Folks! I am happy to report that, after about a week on the new thyroid medication (Synthroid), I can feel a definite difference in my energy level. I haven't weighed myself yet because I went off plan over the weekend, but I am hoping that regulating my thyroid will help me to get my weight under control, too, eventually. Finally, yesterday, we had a beautiful warm day here in Ohio. Today, it is absolutely gorgeous and even warmer! We were actually supposed to get our pool opened up today, but the pool guy said we appear to have a leak in our brand new pool. I think it's been there since the pool was installed late last year. I am NOT a happy camper about that. What a hassle!!! I just hope they will get it up and running soon, so we can enjoy spending lots of time in it this spring and summer. It's heated, so we SHOULD be able to use it spring to fall. It will be such great exercise for me and my (handicapped) daughter...... and our whole family ~ IF it ever gets done properly!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGH!!!!!!!

Fi: Happy to hear that you are catching up on some much-needed sleep and that you took a walk around your neighborhood last Friday! I can't wait to get out and walk with my pups this year!!! My plantar fasciitis is still giving me problems, but I am going to push through the pain to get in some good walks in our neighborhood, too. They absolutely LOVE going for walks. In fact, we have to spell the word around here or they start freaking out until we go! Love 'em to pieces!!! Glad you are also enjoying having your niece and grand-nephew living close by.

ohiofreespirit: You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!!! You can do this!!! Keep your focus on the POSITIVE!!!
  • Where's our April thread? I can't find it.... Kathleen?
  • Oops!!!
    I am so sorry, Fi and everyone else, but I totally forgot to start our new April thread. Going to do that right now!