Fiber Counting?

You're on Page 17 of 20
Go to
  • Patty if its good carbs it shouldn't matter how many there are - i.e. carbs with fibre.

So i've just got up. Its 6.25pm. I went into the city in the morning and got home about 3pm i guess. I was so exhausted.

I think the lack of sleep has made me a big hungrier and messed around with my meals and appetite a bit today too. though on the whole i've been pretty good. Though it has to be said, not much fibre. A lot more protein than usual though as while i was out i had sushi - a basic one of salmon and rice. And then later i had an asian duck noodle soup. My choices weren't bad but tonight i need to eat maybe one of my lentil salads.

I was at the library. I brought home about 8 7 books on diet and nutrition. I was curious to read a book on certain diets but they were mainly out but heres what i picked up:

the no grain diet by mercola - we have a strong advocate of this approach on 3FC. From the few pages i've read so far, for whatever truth it contains, there's a very self-serving orientation that causes me distrust.

Good calories bad calories by gary taubes - i hadn't heard of this guy before but he's well known by a few on this site so i thought he'd be worth a read.

Real Food What to Eat and Why - sounds like a whole food approach which i applaud. Its written by a doctor who lost weight and has kept it off for 9 years since the cover tells us. I figure i could learn some thing useful.

The CSIRO total wellbeing diet Book 2. - I used to own Book1 which i have a lot of respect for and am interested in book 2 because it has some vegetarian options and other useful updates.

The don't go hungry diet - that sounds like me. I think it basically is what i'm doing which is not to restrict calories severely but of course i haven't read it yet.

Nutrition for Health Wellness and Sport - A book on nutrition is usually a better more in-depth option than a diet book for information on the subject even if they do have a preference for this or that orientation.

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism - I thought this might provide some new insights at a level i haven't gone much into yet.
  • Pattience That is a lot of reading. You will be one busy lady. It will be interesting what you learn. There are so many ideas out there that you need to do this and not that and vice versa.

I agree about the carbs being good ones with fiber. I cook pretty simple these days as my hubby is so picky. I get tired of the same veggies all the time. Today we had bbq wings, a salad and baked beans. I ended up getting 30 g fiber with a net carb of 42 and just under 1200 calories. I know they say don't eat less than 1200, but it is so close and I'm satisfied for the day so I am through. I am not going to try to go over 30 g fiber for now, because my system is working good again including my stomach. Blood sugar was up today, but I feel sure that as the weight starts coming down that it will come back down.

Happy reading.
  • Hi ladies! Miss talking to you both!

Went to the walk in the other day, and luckily, no bronchitis, but my bronchial tubes were tight, so on the Prednisone I went for six days. I feel a little bit better- looks like the allergies are starting early this year. *sigh*

I am at a stall (plateau) right now, so I've decided to cut out grains for a little bit, while my youngest daughter does Paleo. I've been losing and gaining the same four pounds for three weeks now, something needs to change to get the furnace going again. I'm still eating high fiber, though- that will never change. She wants to lose weight for her prom, so I am trying to help her and support her- lots of blasted cooking on that diet, though- ugh! That's another reason why I can't stand low carb, besides medically (for me) along with the boredom, is all the dar gone cooking involved for every meal! Oh, well, she's worth it. Then I'll have to cook non-iodine foods for her 10 days before her radiation treatment in July- I teased her the other day, saying she's lucky she has a master chef for a mother, or she'd starve if her father had to cook for her. Poor baby- sad thing is, she is so EASY to please, never complains about anything that I cook for her- breaks my heart that she has so many medical issues going on. She works out an average of 2-3 hours a day- her coaches cannot believe how her body holds onto weight so easily- it's the grains, we both know this, but I just have a hard time "making" her eat grain free all the time, with everything else going on around her. Luckily, she came to the conclusion herself that she has to do this- better that way, than me trying to force it on her, know what I mean? I always cook her gluten free stuff at home, but when she was out with friends, well.............along came some pizza.

I hope to exercise tonight after I make her and I some breakfast and lunch stuff for tomorrow. I've been napping a couple of afternoons this week, then the prednisone makes my hyper, so I'm not sleeping as well or as long at night. I miss exercising, but just took it easy for a few days to recover.

Aleka, where are you?? I hope she's ok. Sluggo, TamTam? Where did the others go? Did we scare them all away? Liliann, please check in with us- we miss you, even if you're not doing high fiber, would love to hear from you!
  • I'm afraid my pessimistic theory is that if they are not checking in they have fallen off the wagon.

Of course i know its not necessarily the case. Sometimes life gets in the way.

So steel, it sounds tough with your daughter but i can't remember what he medical condition actually is. I read so many things on these forums, i tend to forget nearly all of it. Can you remind us when you talk about her. Just a clue so we know what you are referring to.

You should see the big thumping salad i am just finishing up. Or should have seen rather. Its fantastic. Full of fibre and protein and flavour. I've detailed it in my last post linked in sig line. For when you lack ideas.

I know what you mean about cooking. I don't like to spend much time cooking either. I am even tired of cooking fried egg for breakfast. Didn't take long. But i will make myself do it from time to time more often than in the past.

I rather enjoyed my food yesterday. Going to town gives me an opportunity to eat something off my usual route. I did a little bit of shopping. On special at woolworths i bought 300g of smoked salmon for a very good price. I love smoked salmon and its good for omega 3 fatty acids. Its nice chopped into a salad, or mixed in with other veggie dishes or in pasta as well as in a sandwich but i tend to think its too good to hide in a sandwich.

I haven't got sewing yet today. I"m procrastinating.

We;ve got a cyclone on the way. Should hit the coast north of here tomorrow. I haven't done any preparation but we are expecting lots of rain. I hope it doesn't come directly to us but i am not expecting it at this point. cyclone Ita in case anyone wants to check it out online.
  • Quote: Pattience That is a lot of reading. You will be one busy lady. It will be interesting what you learn. There are so many ideas out there that you need to do this and not that and vice versa.

I agree about the carbs being good ones with fiber. I cook pretty simple these days as my hubby is so picky. I get tired of the same veggies all the time. Today we had bbq wings, a salad and baked beans. I ended up getting 30 g fiber with a net carb of 42 and just under 1200 calories. I know they say don't eat less than 1200, but it is so close and I'm satisfied for the day so I am through. I am not going to try to go over 30 g fiber for now, because my system is working good again including my stomach. Blood sugar was up today, but I feel sure that as the weight starts coming down that it will come back down.

Happy reading.
    Do you know what makes your blood sugar go up when you are eating well?

I must not use all those books as a distraction from more important things like my sewing but i am a bit.
  • I've been lurking rather than posting.....I just haven't had anything to say, plus there have been things going on in DH's family.

I've been eating a lot of bread lately, and have decided to cut way back. I don't want to give it up completely. I'm not losing any weight and if this doesn't work, I don't know what else to do.

Pattience, I have heard that Good Calories Bad Calories has a lot of technical terms in it, and wasn't really meant for mainstream reading. I tried reading it, but gave up. He also wrote Why We Get Fat, and that is written more for mainstream reading. Good luck with it! Stay safe in the cyclone.

Pattygirl, I have the latest Atkins diet book, New Atkins for a New You and dug it out the other day. It sounds interesting and I was wondering if you'd post a menu. I apologize if you already have and I missed it.

Steelslady, Finally some good weather! I know how hard it must be for your daughter and I understand what she's going through. Sorry you haven't been exercising. Hope you can get out and exercise soon. DH & I are still walking in the mall most days.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • Hi Aleka, good to see you again.

If you want some help with your program, you should feel free to share.

Did you see my post on the general chatter forum about reading books. It got a fairly good response with lots of people sharing. It seems the Taubes book is not highly regarded ultimately. I like getting a bit of a feel for a variety of books, it helps me see the flaws when someone uses them as a quote.

I don't know if i will get through all these books. I hate these dumbed down books. the Mercola book is particularly bad.

Re bread, i don't quit bread but i don't over eat it either. Well i do when i'm not on a diet but on a diet, i need to eat vegetables and that tends not to leave a lot of room for bread.

Glad you came back. If i suddenly disappear without telling why, you'll know its because i've fallen off the wagon and it may be a number of years before you see me again! So I hope not to fall off.
  • Pattience, thank you for the welcome back. No, I haven't read your post about reading books. I'll have to check it out. There is another diet site I belong to that think Gary Taubs's books are the holy grail. But, I don't believe everything he says because everyone is different.

I don't plan on giving up bread altogether because I like it too much and it keeps me full. I plan to just cut back at home, but will have it when we go out to eat. There is one restaurant where we go for breakfast and they have the best raisin toast.

I hope your don't fall off the wagon either. I enjoy reading your posts.
  • I would just say if you can find something else to keep you full instead of a refined carb food like bread, you will do much better.

Lots of bread and other refined carbs foods just keep your appetite going. But if you can cut back on the bread and eat things like vegetables and legumes instead, it might make you feel full much sooner. I find these foods much more satisfying. They are still quite bulky but they contain your appetite for longer because they take longer to digest.

Have you tried out any my salads?

I have noticed a lot of people on this site reporting that when go extreme vegetables, they seem to find it hard to get a high calorie count going because they are so full already on vegies. But i would suggest including protein still at each meal as well.

I struggle to get enough protein because i'm mainly vegetarian but i make myself do it because i know it also helps make you feel full.

I still haven't got to the gary taubes book yet but on this site but if its a low carb site, i can understand that. I think he is a low carb person isn't he.
  • Pattience I think my fasting blood sugar goes up when I eat too many carbs although, I'm thinking it is when I overdo carbs in one meal. I seem to be able to handle on good carb (whole grain not white) in one meal as long as there are more protein and veggies in the meal. More fiber from the veggies and grain seems to balance it. Tues day I think it was, I had more starchy foods than I usually eat and my fbs was 145 yesterday morning. Yesterday, I had starchy carbs, but better choices and in smaller meals and my fbs this morning was 109. My goal is to get the weight off so that I will not have diabetes. When I get my weight down below 200, my blood sugar usually becomes normal again.

Aleka I am not actually doing Atkins. I just kind of use it when I need it to get rid of cravings for sweets. However, this is a sample of how I eat when I'm doing Induction.

Breakfast is 2 eggs and either 2 sl bacon or 1 Jimmy Dean lowfat sausage patty or 1/4 c Jimmy Dean lowfat sausage crumbles if I'm making omelet or scrambled eggs.

Lunch and Dinner usually consists of a serving of some sort of portein, a low carb veggie and a salad (for lunch)/(what I call a finger salad for dinner). A finger salad is usually radishes, celery, grape or cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, but I can't handle the cucumbers any more. You could use any type of veggie that can be put into a salad that can be eat as a finger food.

Snacks are usually something like a slice of meat wrapped with cheese or lettuce leaf.

I still use that as my base start of what I eat, but I've added my Double fiber with the eggs in the morning. I had baked beans yesterday instead of a salad for lunch since I'm going for fiber now.

I like the Atkins drinks although I couldn't find my favorite which is chocolate at me Walmart last night. I'm not a shake person for morning breakfast so I decided to use it as a substitute meal or snack in the evening. I will put it in my Magic Bullet with some berries and blend it and drink it.

The only thing I'm doing now that I don't think is Atkins is the bread. So I just consider myself doing low carb, not Atkins. Hope this helps.

Steelslady I hope you are feeling better soon. I love Paleo way of eating. In fact, I think it isn't much different than the new Atkins Induction. I know I'm not going to live the rest of my life without any bread of any sort if I don't have to. In fact, I heard a doctor I listened to on Youtube one time that said he honestly believed you could go on Paleo for 2 weeks and reverse diabetes.

You know Paleo just might start a healing for your daughter. I have a niece who works at a cancer center in TX. My sister told me today that they do not allow any sugar of any kind in the center. The do use sweeteners, but no sugar. I found that interesting because I just read on another thread on 3fc that cancer feeds on sugar. Just something I found interesting. I thought of your daughter among others I know going through that battle right now. I thought I would pass that along.
  • I never heard that about cancer feeding on sugar. I'd be surprised about it. I know that cancer cells devour other cells and make them become cancerous.

I'd take a general comment about cancer feeding on sugar with a grain of salt until i got the same info from a reputable source.
  • Ladies- so sorry- I had a long day- I owe you all a few replies, please know that I am reading your posts and enjoying them, just so dar gone tired to respond. I will over the weekend- some awesome stuff you ladies all brought up the last few days- can't wait to reply to them all- I will, I promise!

Pattience- PLEASE stay safe- I hope that cyclone misses you completely- how scary!

Trish- thanks for the awesome information! I notice you're ticker going down, you lost more weight, didn't you?

ALEKA!!!!!!!! So happy you are still with us! I hope everything is ok with your hubby's family. Don't worry if you have to change diets- we're doing that in here daily, lol! I am still doing high fiber, but grain free to help break this plateau- it came early for me- usually I lose 30-35 pounds before hitting on, this one hit at 25, ggrrrrrrrrrr. I will go back to grains when I stall out on Paleo. I'll just go back and forth til the weight comes off. So, if you have to change your diet around, do so and keep posting in here with us- we still love you. Oh, and the weather was GORGEOUS today- we were at my daughter's track and field meet for four hours- she didn't get to do any fielding due to the wet ground, but she ran two races, and of course, one of them was the last one. So, I walked around a lot to get some exercise- I wish I had brought my pedometer. Usually she's in one event after another with running, shot put, discus, and javelin- we're usually chasing her all over the place, going from event to event, cheering her on. I miss my son doing this- he graduated last year, and came with us today to cheer his sister on- they kids on the team were so happy to see him again. He, too, was a fielder- seems strange not to see him in uniform now.

Ok, I babbled enough. Have a fabulous night all, and I will catch up soon with everyone individually. You ladies are the best!
  • I don't mind if you don't have time to answer. Don't feel you must. I had to quit one thread because i would have to spend 30 minutes replying to everyone. I felt it was too hard so i told them i had to abandon ship.

I'd rather you stay with us than feel you have to respond to everything we say.

Just keep on reporting your progress or whatever as the needs takes you.

Interesting to read your strategy. I am sure its a good idea to swap and change from time to time. It would help avoid boredom too.

Today i am having a wretched chicken from the supermarket. it is so salty and fatty but still quite yummy for all that. Unfortunately i'm noticing it is not doing the satiety thing as well as i would have expected. I think it could be or musts be because its a poor quality chicken that's been pumped full of water and hormones and other crap things. Poor little chicken. Just the sort of thing i try to avoid because i know its had a shocking life.

Speaking of poultry i had to take one of my ducks to the vets this morning and she is staying there over night. Yesterday a goanna http://museumvictoria.com.au/pages/1...a-specimen.jpg took a big piece out of her thigh. I didn't realise how bad it was until this morning when i saw her limping badly. So i took her to the vet who found there were already maggots in it. So poor luv, she is going to recuperate in stress free comfort and hopefully the 50 50 chance the vet gave her will go in our favour.

So the rain hasn't really started yet. Its due to strike the coast about 10 pm but a couple of hundred kilometres north of us here. Still we expect a lot of rain and a fair bit of wind. But it will be around for a few days. Luckily i do not have to worry about the storm surge where i live.

H ave good evening all. And if you don't here from me for a day or two its only because the power is out.
  • Oh by the way i started on the gary taubes book, good calorie, bad calorie and i can tell already that its going to be better than you average diet type book. That doesn't mean i will agree with him but he writes well and will have some interesting research to share. Such a book will take me a while to read though.
  • Pattygirl, thank you for posting what you eat. Your menu sounds good and you're doing really well. That is what I had in mind to do. I won't give up bread entirely, but only eat it when I go out. My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, & slices of tomato. I find the tomato adds a little something. I too read somewhere about cancer cells feeding on sugar.

Pattience, I hope the cyclone stays away from you. When DH & I lived in FL we had a few close calls with hurricanes, but they missed us and turned out to be tropical storms.

Steelslady, it sounds like you had fun cheering on your daughter. Glad that your son was able to be there too. I think that's a great idea about changing things up so that it tricks your body. Let us know how you like Paleo.

DH & I walked in the mall yesterday, but didn't walk today. I did something to my left knee. I'm going to baby it for a couple of days and hopefully by Mon. it's better so I can walk. I miss it when we don't go. We see the same people just about everyday. Some of them can barely walk, but they're there....God love them!

Hope you're having a good Friday.