Alternachicks book club- summer reading?

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • One more evening's read, and I'll be through with Harry...Ellis, let me know when you're ready to start it, and I'll tell you what happens to who! Doncha just love it when people spoil a good read?!
  • Karen!!! My daughter is itching to tell me what's happening in the book, and I REFUSE to listen!
    My entire family does the same thing with movies. They sum up the whole damned movie in about 2 minutes. Including who died/did it/got married/etc.
  • Oh, alright. My lips are sealed .
  • Summer Reads...
    Just got back from Barnes and Noble and purchased Jennifer Weiner's second book... In Her Shoes which I am going to start immediately. Folks may remember that I HIGHLY recommend her first book... Good in Bed . If you haven't read that one yet, go to your local book store NOW and buy it.
  • Yikes!! I will DEFINITELY look for it, Sojo!!
  • Started the new harry Potter book last night...LOTS OF FUN!!!!!
  • What the heck are you doing up at this hour!?

I'm rushing off to take the children to a museum... back later....
  • I am reading Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. It is part of the anita Blake Vampire Huner series. I have not gotten too far, as I am a slow reader in addition to numerous daily activities that I cannot go without.
    It has suspense, romance, and is supernatural all at once. I highly recommend it.
    Also Shes Come Undone by Wally Lamb is a great pick It is hard to describe but I hightly recommend that book.
    Another one I love is Firm for Life by anna and Cynthia Benson. It is about fitness/excercise/and nutrition, but when I need encouragement this book almost always helps.
  • I've just started reading, Writings on an Ethical Life, by Peter Singer. Woof! I haven't read a book that I've had to concentrate so on hard in ages! I'm only on page 14, but I think I'm going to have to start all over and really THINK while I'm reading.
  • I read Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin when we were away, and I really liked it - I never think I am going to like her stuff and then I really do. And I read a book by somebody Sebold called The Immigrants about 4 Jewish immigrants to England, and a bio of Rosalind Franklin called The Dark Lady of DNA (which the girls started calling The Barking Lady of DNA - sounds like something Scooby Doo would come up against doesn't it?)

I am about to start Patricia Cornwall's book on Jack the Ripper, so I'll let you know. And sounds like I ought to try David Sedaris - sounds excellent!

Lidian
  • Harry Potter
    I am enjoying the "Order of the Phoneix" BUT I keep picking up "Empty Without You" the letters of Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickok. This has got to be some of the most romantic, mushiest stuff I have ever read! Why can't men write letters like this?

Miss Chris
  • They do. When they're cheating on their wives.
  • Your just wrong Ellis ;-) LOL!

Miss Chris
  • HAHAHAHA!!!!! GOOD ONE ELLIS!!!
  • Okay Ellis, what is up with the multiple personality summer? Have you read Sybil ? I can NOT believe the abuse this woman went through. No wonder she is so screwed up!

Lidian, have you read the Handmaiden's Tale? It's my favorite!

Sojourner - Are you finished with In Her Shoes yet? I didn't like it nearly as much as Good in Bed . But it was still pretty good.