Newbie here - a bit shy and dipping my toe in the water

• Hi. I have never been on a weight loss forum before but have been 'meaning to' for months/years.
    I am 34 years old, have 3 small kids and weigh over 330lb the last time i checked - i haven't weighed for months now as i have been too scared but i know from my clothes that this has increased.
    I really just don't know where to start. I know I need to do something but I think i'm scared of failing and this prevents me from starting to loose weight. I feel like i'm on a mission to self destruct and i don't know why.
  • Welcome, sar!

This was the first weight loss forum I joined and it changed my life.

Every change we make, no matter how small, will all add up to big things. Cutting calories (for example, cut out soda if you drink it), adding a bit of physical activity (go for a short walk every day if you aren't already), and posting here for support are easy ways to start.

I was so overwhelmed when I first starting my lifestyle change (I hesitate to call it a diet), I never thought I'd get any of the weight off and that I was destined to be an obese woman the rest of my life.

I hope you make yourself comfortable around here and join a few threads. Maybe making a mini-goal for yourself will help motivate you to get started.

I look forward to reading your updates and wish you lots of luck!
  • i agree with elvislover. making one or two small changes and sitting tight for a while just to get used to it is a great approach. no more cycles of shame. no more beating yourself up for not doing it perfect. just make one small change and make it a goal to do it for one day. and then the next. and so on.

this is a great website where you can read and learn. i wish you the best, and congratulations on deciding to make some changes in your life!
  • Welcome sar!
    The support here is great. Feel free to join us in the 300+ chat thread.
    There is a quote by Albert Einstein "You never fail until you stop trying."
    Good luck! Ubee
  • Welcome 2 the forum, This is the first and only weight loss forum I've ever joined and I love it here
  • I'm a newbie that recently jumped in, and I can say it really makes a difference knowing there are people out there rooting for you. Everyone is very supportive, and most important(for me), nonjudgemental of where you are in your journey.

You can do it.

Dean
  • Hi, fellow newbie here! I relate to your post so much that I probably could have written it myself. I just joined today. I've been meaning to join a forum for years but am shy and kind of uncomfortable about talking about my weight. But then today, I had a moment where I'd just totally had enough and decided to join.

So while I can't yet point you in the right direction or add to the list of forum success stories, just know there's someone else here who can totally relate!
  • Welcome I am new here too, and I am 110kg, or 242 pounds. I joined about a fortnight ago, and have been doing my lifestyle change for 2 weeks now, and this forum has been the only thing that has kept me going at times. Everyone is here for the same reason, and from my experience so far, everyone is so supportive! Congratulations on deciding to make a positive change for you! You will do great, and like everyone else here has said, there is no race to lose weight, just make small changes, stick to the small changes and stay positive, because you are doing the best thing for you! Dont hesitate to post either, the good and bad, as it really helps Congratulations and goodluck, we are all here for you, and we are all in this together!
  • Hi Sar! Welcome to 3FC. This is a great place for support and information. The support here is phenomenal because the members understand what you're going through. When I first joined back in January, I weighed 330lbs. I am now down to 319. I never would have been able to do this without a good support system.

I can relate and know how uncomfortable it is to discuss weight. Just know that if you need anyone to talk, don't hesitate to message me.
  • new member too
    I came across this forum as I searched for more information to help with my quest to lose weight. I am the heaviest I have been ... ashamed and embarrassed at times. Tired of my back/hip being sore. While I am experiencing some health problems with medications that are contributing to my weight gain (prednisone and hypothyroidism) they are no excuse for my being 340lbs.

In my adult life I have always been over 200lbs...cannot remember being under 200lbs. I have tried weight watchers, Dr Bernstein, & Jenny Craig..all with the the typical weight loss/re-gain ending.

I hate that I can't sit in chairs comfortably and am dreading an upcoming flight in May...

Hoping to get some inspiration here and to also provide some support and encouragement to others.

I work full time and am also working on my PhD...with candidacy quickly approaching, however I have to start putting my health as a priority!
  • Hello from another newbie, just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope to see you post often!