Maintainers Weekly Chat February 10 - February 16

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote:
    Michele, *whispering too* glad your weight is going in the right direction. I hope it sticks. Could you make plans with some good girlfriends for your birthday?

Well, we may have jinxed it. Up 1/2 a pound today. Hopefully won't continue in that direction. I'll have to see about making plans for my birthday. My closest friends aren't nearby. I have a good friend that I sometimes do stuff with but her son is about to get married and she is busy with the planning parts of that.

Anyone else have the day off Monday? I do! I can't wait. Trying to decide what to do. I made an appt to donate blood in the afternoon which will allow for exercise/yoga in the morning. That might be all I plan. We'll see.... What plans do you have?
  • I have Momday off! And so does my son so he's coming home for the weekend! I plan on golf Saturday and washing the dogs Sunday morning. I think DH will wash the solar panels. Not sure what we'll do on Monday.

Some of the good movies that we wanted to see in the theaters are gone, but on pay per view. We watched Dallas Buyer's Club Sunday afternoon instead of going to a movie. IDK why, but I can't sit still in the afternoon to watch TV. Nights? No problem. Weird. I think we had to pause the movie half a dozen times for one or more of us to get up and do something. We never leave the theater during a movie! I guess it's the convenience of the pause button.

Wish me and Bogey luck on our first obedience class tonight! I hope I learn a few things for him and the cats.
  • Not only do I have next Monday off but I have tomorrow off for Lincoln's Birthday!! Sometimes working for NYS rocks!

It will probably be a boring day of running errands, but the stores should be pretty clear.

Jen
  • Day off? Qu'est que c'est? Although we do have some sort of holiday this month - a Monday - called "Family Day". It's supposed to be a stat holiday for all but people are still confused about it, mainly because of the name.

My vote was for "Winter Blues/Blahs Banishment Day" but the government wasn't having any of it.

Dagmar
  • I have Monday off, thank goodness, or else there wouldn't be anything to look forward to until Memorial Day.

I'm looking forward to it, even if it just means one extra hour of sleep.
  • The automotive world traded off Presidents Day for MLK Day. I "get" it on a politically correct level ... but would prefer to have the break now instead of back in January, not even two weeks after returning for the year. It is a LONG haul til Easter. Kind of like the stretch between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, only with nastier weather.
  • I don't even know what holiday Monday is. My next holiday is Memorial Day! The January - May stretch is really painful sometimes.

Last night was another poor sleep night for Miss A. They like to trade off -- the night before it was C. In any case after a diaper change at midnight she slept the rest of the night just fine. Too bad we didn't think to change her diaper earlier, if that was the problem the whole time. She also had a meltdown at bedtime so I think she may have been having some tummy trouble. They were fussy this morning too so hopefully after their first nap they're being better for DH now. I feel bad leaving him stuck with fussy babies while I'm at work, but he was going to call his mom to come help out.

Relatedly, my mom is coming into town tomorrow! I hope she will not overdo anything on her shoulder and set back her healing.
  • Glad the tv wasn't the problem, Bargoo.
  • Shannon, are you OK? I heard Atlanta was in for more storms,
  • Quote: I don't even know what holiday Monday is. My next holiday is Memorial Day! The January - May stretch is really painful sometimes.
    Me too. My parents annual spring break trip is tentatively on right now, but uncertain bc of mom's back. It's usually a spring break for me, too, before the field season gets busy. Did I tell you guys when she went to see the surgeon he said to wait another month, bc her pain isn't that great? Now her surgery is up in the air. I selfishly hope they come bc I am was sad to see them so little over the Christmas holidays, but of course don't want to hurt mom's back more. I also am promising myself if they don't, I'll take at least a long weekend and do something out of the ordinary and fun since I do have a long stretch of no vacation, and my vacation days are just piling up without my taking any (part of why I took yesterday off to study - I don't take my days off, might as well use them).

Today was stressful and unproductive at work. It was strange since I took yesterday off. I had a total case of the Mondays. I hope tomorrow is better.

Bargoo, glad it's just the cable.

Jessica, enjoy the time with your mom! You said you'd take some time off work while she's here, right?

Allison, how was the obedience class?

Shannon, how is ATL?

Michele, you do the same things I do on your day off - extra workout time or yoga classes. Come to think of it the bloodmobile hasn't passed through my town in a while. I'll have to check on that. Enjoy.
  • I think I got my workout this morning. I'm at the office and the cat is out so I decide to let Bogey off leash. I'm sitting at my desk and notice the front door ajar and next thing I realize is Bogey is outside--and running! Yeah, he opened the door. Thankfully two of my employees were driving off at that moment and saw what was happening. I grabbed a leash and his treats and took off after him. He ran two blocks (stopping to mark every bush on the way) and they cornered him just before he would have reached the busy street. I knew he was a runner from when FIL opened our front door at home and he got out.

Meanwhile, obedience class was good. I have a slightly difficult time with him as they do not allow prong collars (only flat collars or gentle lead harnesses) and he's much easier to handle with a prong collar. He really learns quickly so that much is good.

They gave me some good pointers on dealing with him and the cats, but yesterday he saw Culley the office cat and I could not distract him at all. That worries me. I'll finish basic obedience, sign up for intermediate and possibly advanced after that. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking I need to have a trainer come to my house to help me with the cat issue.

The cats, however, are getting better. They're being a tiny bit bolder and coming out when he's outdoors (which of course makes him jump on the sliding doors) and they're out when we're gone. I hope that once we get the baby gate it withstands his jumping so they'll have a safe spot. In the mean time he's on leash indoors and he and Misty have more outdoor time than I think Misty likes.

Thinking of all of you in the arctic weather. I wish it were cooler here. We've been sleeping with our sliding glass door open the past few nights as it's really warm otherwise.
  • Snow is a four-letter word.
  • It really is. I am anxious thinking about trying to get up the hill after work.
  • As is rain.

As is wind. Hurricane-force winds here last night. 12 on the Beaufort scale is almost unknown here. The power went off but we ate white and sweet potatoes baked in the wood burner, by candlelight. That was nice. Lots of trees down this morning, and roads and bridges closed. Lots of HGVs and other vehicles stranded as the two main bridges were closed. Perhaps Ireland was cut off! (Joke, of course.)

Another low is coming in from the Atlantic tomorrow as the SO and I move a large number of logs. Stack / barrow / stack. I'll let you know how it all works out.

saef, sorry to hear about your Egham office. You, of course, are well placed to offer sympathy. Hope that you get through your day OK. Are you at home?

Shannon, is Atlanta cut off?

Allison, Bogey has spirit. He's giving you a run for your money!

• So my BFF in Arizona is a Duke alum and she has tickets to a game there Saturday night. I saw her posting on FB wondering if it is a good idea to fly there with all the snow and problems. Personally I wouldn't do it.