Finally liking my veggies

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have never liked veggies, with the exception being sweet potatoes and fresh corn on the cob. I did the ideal protein diet last year and literally ate cucumbers or celery every day for lunch and cauliflower every night for dinner. Needless to say as soon as I hit my goal I stopped eating veggies again and of course over the course of a year on on all 40 lbs I had lost. I vowed to try again and that this time I would try something new each week, either an altogether new veggie or a new way of cooking one I have tried. Surprise.... I am enjoying them this time around!
  • Wow that's great!! Are there any that you especially like, or ways to prepare? I tend to get into a rut with the same ones, same way of prep.
  • I did julienne sliced zucchini and sautéed in a little of my oil, topped with a homemade pesto made from the remainder of my oil and a ton of basil and one sundries tomato piece. It was awesome! Had it hot for dinner one night and cold the next day for lunch!
  • Also cooked zucchini and yellow squash slices along with some garlic and added my protein of eggs/egg whites and scrambled it. Very yummy!
  • Thank-you so much. Both sound really delicious!!!
  • I was never a veggie lover either. IP has opened my eyes to so many.
    One of my go-to's is oven roasted okra with a little garlic powder. Delish!
    I buy it frozen (it's much easier than preparing fresh, and I've found the quality to be just as good, if not better. Being an imported item, it never looks good in the store fresh.)
    Give it a try!
  • Quote: I was never a veggie lover either. IP has opened my eyes to so many.
    One of my go-to's is oven roasted okra with a little garlic powder. Delish!
    I buy it frozen (it's much easier than preparing fresh, and I've found the quality to be just as good, if not better. Being an imported item, it never looks good in the store fresh.)
    Give it a try!
    Thanks! This thread is giving me much-needed motivation boost.
  • mars: You can roast, literally, any veggie. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, turnips, okra, asparagus etc. They taste amazing!
  • What is okra???? A lettuce type thing or more like a solid veggie like radish? Have never heard of it!
  • Quote: What is okra???? A lettuce type thing or more like a solid veggie like radish? Have never heard of it!
    Google it!

It's a solid veggie. Can be slimy cooked certain ways but roasted it is crunchy and delicious!
  • Quote: Google it!

It's a solid veggie. Can be slimy cooked certain ways but roasted it is crunchy and delicious!
    This is weird because when I was lurking in the frozen vegies section of the supermarket today (searching for rhubarb - no luck), I saw frozen okra and wondered what the heck it was. I'll get some next time. Thanks for the tip!
  • Quote: mars: You can roast, literally, any veggie. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, turnips, okra, asparagus etc. They taste amazing!
    Agreed. I am now taking someone's advice, maybe Ruth Ann or Lisa or 65x65?, who chops their vegies up ahead of time. So I now do that and then when I get back from work, I can either put them in the wok or if I don't want to be watching the stove top, I put them straight in the oven, with garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes or cayenne pepper (depending on the mood). Super easy and always delicious. Having them chopped already is a lifesaver as I often have to work late unexpectedly (although seeing as it's busy season there's really no unexpected about it!).
  • RosiePosie, my grocery store has frozen rhubarb in the frozen fruit section, not the veggies. So check there too!

After 5 weeks on the program I'm just starting to learn how to prepare veggies deliciously and actually (kind of) like them.
  • Quote: RosiePosie, my grocery store has frozen rhubarb in the frozen fruit section, not the veggies. So check there too!

After 5 weeks on the program I'm just starting to learn how to prepare veggies deliciously and actually (kind of) like them.
    Thanks WildDaisy. I will look there next time!!
  • I know this might sound crazy, but in addition to liking to eat veggies (which is a totally new experience since starting IP) I also enjoy preparing them! I do a large enough batch at one time that lasts about 4 days. It is kind of relaxing to me to listen to my music and chop veggies, kind of like gardening is relaxing to do. Just thought I would share that it is no longer a tedious task!