300+ Chat Thread: February, 2014

You're on Page 10 of 19
Go to
  • Ubee ~ Nope I didnt make it to my meetings this week but Im going on Wed. the 19th and Thursday the 20th

Im about to walk for the 1st time today and Im excited about it, I like being able to listen to my music and walk at the same time
  • I don't officially weigh in until Monday but curiosity got he best of me today and I peeked on the scale. In five days I have lost another 4 pounds. The amazing thing is that I have been pigging out and eating more food than I ever did by following the Volumetrics plan.

I DO NOT claim that this is the answer for everyone. It does seem to work extremely well for me.
  • Hello everyone! Newb here. Looking forward to meeting you all.

I just joined today. I was walking back from the grocery store this afternoon, carrying the usual bag of junk food, and realizing how ironic it was that I had eaten my way into such poor shape that even walking four blocks to purchase the food was painful.

Any tips for getting started? I have a tendency to get super motivated and then wake up the next morning and fall back into my old habits. :/

Thanks!
  • Well, I'm just posting to say that my thoughtless sister-in-law has not caused me to eat cookies, or anything else with sugar in it. I'm hanging in here, stubbornly sticking to the diet, come what may.

backinflight— Welcome on board! I don't have any big tips for getting started, except to say it's been really helpful to me to post on this thread, every single day. For me getting started was like turning a corner: one day I was caught in a cycle of what felt like ever-recurring cookie binges, and then the next day I was posting here and sticking to my diet plan. It's important to have a plan for what you're supposed to be doing, what Ubee calls a new Way of Eating. Have you decided yet whether you're going to go low-carb vs. counting calories vs. something else? Have you figured out whether you're a binge eater or a chronic nibbler or someone who overeats at meals? What has worked for you in the past? "Know thyself" is always good advice.
  • Fi, this isn't my usual corner of the forum but I was just browsing through the active threads while breastfeeding and saw your comment about the 7 year old. I have a 7 year old (and a 6 year old, a nearly 2 year old and a baby) and she would LOVE to be looked after by just her uncle and aunt. The 7 year old girls I know think they're extremely grown up and love to show off a bit. I'd make it a game free zone and encourage her to bring her favourite books over, offer to read to her if they're hard or, if possible, let her draw or cut or paste something. If it's after school she'll be tired and hungry so feed her before anything else! It's actually a cute, if intense age.
  • Whoops, just re read and it's a 7 year old boy! My only boy is the baby so I don't know as many 7 year old boys as girls and the ones I do love their video games. I think most children of that age love art though. Does he have Lego or other building blocks he could bring over? That kind of stuff is more fun than you think.
  • I've managed to come back two days in a row, so that's a good start. Normally by now I'd already be doing the "I'll start tomorrow..." thing.

@Fiona Thanks for the tips! You're right, knowing yourself is a huge part of it, and thankfully I feel like have a head start on that.

I've tried a lot of diet types and found that I was most successful with low carb, paleo-ish eating because it eliminates all the foods that cause me to binge - dairy, wheat, and sugar. I lost over 60lbs last time and it wasn't hard for me to stick to the plan (as long as I cooked.) But then I got a more demanding job and didn't have the time to cook. That's when "oh, a little cheese wont hurt me" turned into cheese, chocolate, and ice cream binges (clearly, dairy is a problem for me), and I gained almost double back.

My approach this time is to focus on progress over perfection. The goal is to eliminate trigger foods, prioritize veggies, good fats, and lean protein, and slowly improve the quality of my diet.
  • backinflight ~ Welcome to the board

I know I dont usually walk on Sunday's but I feel like walking at least once tonight so thats what Im gonna do. The weather has been warm here which has been nice, I hope it lasts until Feb. ends, I dont want to deal with anymore winter. I hope everyone has a nice Sunday.
  • Hi Everyone!
    Quick check in and will blab tomorrow I have massive teenage drama of complete nothingness to deal with. Thank God it is about nothing just all consuming!
    Stay well.
  • Hello Everyone!!!

This week has been CRAZY for me, which is why I am noticing it's been almost a week since I've posted. I haven't forgotten about you all! This place really does make you accountable for your actions

We've finally gotten everything moved out of our old office space at work, and tomorrow will be the first day at the new place. I'm super excited because I think the location is much better and it will keep me from being in crazy traffic each morning and is closer! Getting everything together there has made me not be up to exercising much this week but I plan to get back to my normal routine next week.

Today I believe marks 1 month since I started eating a whole foods diet. I have successfully cut out almost all gluten, I have not had ANY processed foods, or sugars and I am almost all the way done with dairy! That is a lot to do in one month, but from what I've read it only takes one month to change your habits into a permanent one. I must say I am quite proud of myself because I didn't think I would have made it this far, be so successful and actually feel like I'm not "dieting". This has really been a lifestyle change for me and I hope to keep this going for the rest of my life.

I usually weigh in on Mondays, but I was really curious to see where I was today because I forgot to weigh in this past Monday. I'm down 3 lbs! I lost that extra pound that I had gained the week prior and another 2! I am quite happy with that so I am down a total of 17.6 lbs for the month! I haven't really been trying to make weight goals for each month, because any loss is a good one, but I think I am going to aim for at least 8-10 lbs each month for my goal. I think that's a healthy amount and I know the more I lose the slower the amount will be once I get closer in shape. I'm just going to take it one day at a time which has been helping tremendously.

I also decided to start an Instagram page just for my weightloss. If anyone is on there and would like to follow me, I am under SamEatsClean26. This thread and instagram has been a HUGE help with me staying on track. It's giving the boost I need, and Pinterest has also played a big role in helping with trying different recipes to keep it interesting.

I won't do personals today but I did go back and read everything that I've missed. Looks like everyone is doing pretty well here! That is a big boost knowing that we're all doing this together! Also, welcome to all the new people here!!

I'm off here for now, I have to get my breakfast and lunch prepped and ready for the coming work week.

Big love to everyone!! <3
  • Today is my official weekly weigh in day and the results of my third week of Eating More to Weigh Less using the Volumetrics Plan are:

4 pounds loss this week

The first week on the plan was a 3 pound loss
    The second week on the plan was a 2 pound loss
    The third week on the plan was a 4 pound loss
  • so tired guys, hope you all have good weeks. I'm a little blue, mostly due to bad choices on the weekend. (Saying yes to a peice of pizza on saturday because it was 1pm and I hadn't had a chance to eat anything... or having a salad that I forgot had bacon bits and cheese on it , and shrugging it off and eating it anyways when I went out with friends yesterday. Careless!
  • I have been MIA for the week. Been in bed sick. Did not even feel like getting up to go online. Feeling better today though. Just achy and a headache. Have not been eating that well this week, due to not cooking for myself. I did manage a very small loss this week, so I am happy it was not a gain
  • Good day!
    This morning I hit my red line weight. Time to get serious. I try to focus on a way of eating but I can gain on too much healthy food so I have a red line weight that when I hit it I must get strict for a few weeks to a month. Boot camp here I come!
    I start to get nervous when this thread gets too thin. I need support and it is hard for me when others stop coming here. I know we all have to do what is best for ourselves but I just wanted to share how important your support is to me.
    Erin good to see you and glad you are on the road to recovery!
    Silent hang in there. I promise spring will come. Do you drink coffee? I also heard cocoa nibs are very healthy and give you some zing!
    Larry for the last time... Hand over your magic scale! Good job on the loss, you give me hope!
    Sam 17.6 woohooo! You go girl!
    Terra is tomorrow shopping day again? How are the walks going? Still 3 a day?
    Welcome backinflight! I follow a similar plan except for I do dairy. I find it hard to make freezer meals. I find if I can have some meat cooked, chopped and frozen it makes the busier days easier. Good luck!
    Fi glad you are using your stubborness to your advantage. Did you have your meeting to discuss the situation?
  • Ubee - You will rock the bootcamp I'm sure

Larry congrts on the losses thats so fab

Erin - hope you feel better soon

Sam - glad we're helping