February Chat

You're on Page 3 of 8
Go to
  • Trish, I used to take Ibuprofen all the time for pain. After I started having my heart problems they told me in the hospital that I shouldn't take it. I asked the cardiologist about it and he said if I take it once in a while that's not a problem but he would feel differently if I took it on a daily basis, but he never said why. I have heard that it can cause heart attacks and strokes. I don't get a lot of pain anymore so I really don't need to take much. I never heard of it causing fluid retention or weight gain. Did you discuss the fluid retention with your doctor? I don't think I ever have fluid retention. One of the first questions they ask me when I go to the cardiologist is if I ever have any swelling in the feet or legs, which I don't. I don't know what they expect people to do for pain. Everything is bad for you. They are always saying things about Tylenol and giving warnings for overdosing.

I started back exercising today. I walked on the treadmill for 20 min. Did the elliptical for 10 min. Worked out with weights for 15 minutes. I do the weights twice a week. I could also do upper body one day, and lower body the next.

My exercise DVD hasn't come yet. I looked at the tracking and it says it was in my town this morning, so I'm hoping it will be delivered tomorrow.

Have you ever eaten sour-dough bread? I have been reading about it and it says that it does not spike blood glucose even though it is made from white flour. It has something to do with the fermentation and the effect it has on gut bacteria. I was reading how to make it home-made. You have to make the starter and let it ferment before you use it. My husband would never let me do it. One time his daughter wanted to make that Friendship Cake that you let sit on the counter for days, mixing it and adding ingredients. He told her it was going to kill her and made her throw it away. LOL

Hope you do OK with your snow that's coming. We're getting it too in the next few days, but we're used to it up here.
  • Carol Sue Yes, my doc checks for the fluid each time I go and he has me on a mild fluid pill. My second hubby took a lot of ibuprofen because in those days they told people to stop taking so much Tylenol. He had CHF.

My oldest son used to make sour dough bread. I've never made it. I didn't know it was so good for us. Interesting info.

I signed into MFP again and got my calorie count and tracked my calories and exercise there today. I did pretty good. I ended up eating 3 good meals today and feel pretty good. Satisfied and no hunger. Just hope I can keep this up.

We are staying home during the winter storm. Looks like we are stuck at home until at least Friday. I knew it was coming so have plenty of food and staying warm and hope everyone else will to.
  • Trish, I just read on another board that SC is supposed to get a foot of snow! I didn't realize it was that much! That's more than we've had at one time for a couple years. Hope you don't have power outages!
  • Rennie, I don't know if you are getting the big storm, too, but I hope both you and Trish are safe.

I signed up for emails from WebMD and this was in my inbox this morning and thought you guys might want to read it. It's very scary what can happen to you with uncontrolled blood sugar.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/featur...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d
  • Good morning.

Well, being careful has me down to 192.8 this morning. I even cooked and ate fish - mahi mahi - during the week and discovered that I still don't like it! I've been doing breakfast smoothies in my bullet and must admit I really do not like them. This morning I indulged in a Hot Cross Bun which seem to be available all the time now instead of just in Lent. I have some semi-oriental soup planned for lunch and chicken breast thawing for dinner. Not sure what I'll cook - maybe that mayo and crumbs thing but made with my own mayo, not that Miracle Whip stuff!

Looks like the Southerners are in for a bad storm. Stay safe and warm, Sweeties.
  • Thanks Carol Sue we got the snow it took me 6 hours to get home, smh. My daughter, husband, Mom and my Auntie were quite worried, but I'm safe
  • Ruth, congratulations on your loss. Do you mean that you don't like fish at all, or just the mahi mahi? I love fish of all kinds. I think I tried mahi mahi one time on a seafood buffet but I don't remember what it tasted like, which means it didn't impress me either way. My favorite is grouper. It is not very abundant around here. I have had it twice, and both times it was on the seafood buffet, but not since. My son said they had grouper sandwiches when on vacation somewhere last year. I don't cook much fish as home because the only fish my husband likes is fried cod or whitefish, but I order it at a restaurant every chance I get.

I have made the mayo and crumb chicken but I use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. My favorite chicken is roasted, but we also like a recipe I make with a can of mushroom soup over it baked in a casserole. I put home fried potatoes on top for DH. It can also be cream of chicken or cream of celery soup. I like to make things that I can put on to cook and don't have to watch. Last night I made chicken cacciatore. The sauce was so good I could have put it in a cup and drank it.
  • I forgot to mention that my exercise dvds came yesterday. I am very pleased with them for the money I paid. There are 4 DVDs, each having 2 or 3 routines on them. It seems that it's primarily just dancing, but it's the movement of the torso that targets the abs. I cannot do crunches or any other floor exercises. Once I get down on the floor it requires a crane to get me back up. I am going to watch them on my computer to see what they are like, and will probably try them out this evening. We will not be going out anywhere because we also got some snow, just not anywhere near what they got in the south and up the coast.
  • No exercise is happening here except for snow shoveling. I don't know if we've broken the record for snowfall but what came down is still here. Usually in January or February we get a warmish spell and it melts down a bit. Right now there is at least 20" of it on top of the table on the back deck.

Chicken was good last night and really simple to make. I'll definitely do that again. Indulged in a hot cross bun again this morning although my weight is up a pound - maybe salt? I roasted brussels and may have over-seasoned them. Anyhow, it's only a pound and could be gone by tomorrow.

I am glad to see I have no "foodie" events happening in the next two weeks so I can eat "clean".

Worrying a little about the Southern chicks in this snow. Be safe and warm and try to not drive!
  • Rennie I saw the congested highways in PA and prayed you and Carol Sue were safe and warm. Sorry it took you so long to get home, but so thankful you made it home and are safe. Hope y'all don't have any outages.

It is still snowing here. So far know rain or sleet. As much as I love the snow, I don't think I would want to live where we would have it for long periods of time are as often as those of you in the north. I am ready for this to be over already. I live just south of Charlotte, N.C. and I have been wondering how Bonnie is doing with all of this. While we have gotten snow, (DGS just called from Winthrop and said we did get some sleet last night and it is still snowing there), south of us down around where Bonnie lives they have the mixture. I don't know where she lives, but according to Gov. Haley's website a lot of counties down south have experienced over 300k outages and have had to open up 38 more shelter besides whatever they had yesterday. I haven't heard of any fatalities in SC, but they've had 3 in NC. We are fine so far just staying inside enjoying looking at it and praying for everyone's safety.

Will be back later.
  • Rennie I don't know why I was thinking you lived in PA. I just realized you live in northern part of NC, right? Y'all are still getting a lot of what we have had today and the past few days. I was watching your governor this morning as he spoke about y'all getting all this and asking y'all to stay in and safe. I pray all goes well where you are. If the RDU stands for Raliegh/Duke area, you must live near where DH cousin lives in Cary.

Carol Sue I see y'all are about to get what we had and what Rennie is getting. My oldest son is on his way with a truck load to Carlisle. Then he hopes to be heading home in Mass. for the weekend to be with his sweetheart. Looks like he will be following it up the coast. I pray for the safety of all of you. As for cooking, I too have gotten to where if I can't cook it within 15 minutes or in the crockpot, I probably will not make it. Things I used to cook from scratch, I try to find easier ways to make them. Since DH and I are eating mostly Intuitively, I'm not cooking a whole lot. I made a beautiful chicken noodle soup yesterday with 1 chicken tender and left over linguine added to cream of chicken soup made mostly with water and just a Tbls of cream for flavor and it was delicious. I actually made it because DH and mentioned it. He didn't want it. Today, he wanted a sandwich and I didn't so he made his lunch and I made mine. So far it is working because, I'm just not that hungry especially if I have to cook it.

I am going to check into the sourdough bread you mentioned. DS wants to make it again so maybe I can find a recipe that we both can start one and make it. I use Nature's Own double fiber right now, but if sourdough is better for my bs and I can make it, I will do that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ruth So glad your weight is coming back down. It is so much easier when you are in control of what and when you eat. Stay warm and stay in touch with us.

Bonnie If you still have electricity etc and can, check in and let us know you are okay and safe.

We are watching the Olympics while having to stay in. I love the figure skating and the women's hockey. USA/Canadian hockey is always fun to watch.

Later!!
  • Hi gang: a wicked busy week has kept me from checking in regularly. It can be hard to stay on plan, but have been active. I am liking the fitbit for tracking my activity. I have yet to get 10000 steps in a day, but am getting closer.
    I haven't always eaten on plan as I said, but have managed not to overeat. So am happy with myself this week.
  • Thanks Trish for your prayers I prayed all the way home. RDU = Raleigh, Durham area and I work in Cary. I didn't dare go out today and then we had more snow today and rain. Temperatures are supposed to drop below freezing which will make for a horrible commute in the morning. My son cleaned off the car and we made a tread to pull out in the morning but I won't leave until after the sun comes up. My husband got stuck on the highway way this afternoon luckily some people stopped to push him out so he made it to work.

Ruth, good job on the weigh in

Carol Sue, No power outages for us thank goodness LOL on drinking your sauce . I like to make things I can put in the oven also I make tilapia, flounder, rock fish, whiting in the oven. I don't like the smell of fried fish in the house. My boys have had baked fish so much when we go some place that has fried fish they won't eat it but my daughter will. Glad to hear your DVD's came. Are all of the moves on the DVD's fast? That's what made me not want to try it.

Madeleine good for you on getting those steps in and just doing the best you can. That's all we can do

I made some baked apples last night using generic Splenda and cinnamon and my fbs was 136 this morning. It hasn't been that high in awhile, smh. I had an off point eating day today also, dry frosted flakes and cheddar biscuit and eating the rest of my apples. I ate baked barbecue chicken and some turnip greens also. So it may balance out. I'm attempting to get the rest of my water in
  • Trish, glad to see you have checked-in and that you did not lose power. That is such a major issue with snow storms. I forgot that Bonnie was from that area also. I hope she is OK.

I am in the SW part of PA. We got snow, but we got about 4 inches. The bad part of the storm went into central and eastern PA and missed us. We used to get at least one big snowstorm every winter, about 1-2 feet or more, but we haven't had that for several years. Since we are in an area that is used to snow, we are prepared. It might be bad while it starts snowing, but they are out with snow plows and trucks within an hour and it's not long before the roads are easily passable. We put snow tires on our car, all 4 wheels. And now since we're retired, we don't have anywhere we have to be.

Rennie, the moves are mostly fast on this DVD. He has several other people in the video with him and one young lady is supposedly doing a modified version that you can follow. What a laugh! I need to modify HER version. I am good at modifying. Not lifting my leg as high, not raising my arms as high, not sidestepping as far, etc. If it gets too much for me I will just march in place until I can get back to it again. We learned to do that years ago when I went to an exercise class. But the thing I like about it is it is like dancing, not like exercising. The music is very upbeat and puts you in a good mood. I will do as much of it as I can and finish off with my treadmill and elliptical that I am used to. I imagine that I will be able to do a little more each time and work my way up. I do not expect to jump right in and do the whole workout.

I am down 2 lbs this week. I am working on limiting portions so as not to get stuffed, not eating between meals and not eating after dinner. Just being a little more thoughtful about what I'm putting in my mouth. It's so easy to pick something up and eat it, and I think to myself "Do I really want this?" It's the same two pounds I have lost over and over again, but I'm happy that the scale has taken a downward trend.
  • Glad to "see" the southern chickies but where is our Bonnie? We got the remains of the PA snow here overnight and the school buses are canceled. That allowed me to cancel my dental appointment in Kingston. I am not driving if the professional drivers won't! The snow continues to fall into tomorrow and Sunday so I'll be housebound if Richard waits until it stops to plough me out!

I've discovered some things that I must not buy since I can't resist them. Melba toast has been on the list for years but those darned Hot Cross Buns have sneaked in somehow. I just had two for breakfast and they are around 300 cals each. The remains of the package will be enjoyed by the birds who are really flocking to my feeders.

Weight blipped back to 195 overnight, probably from a rather salty Chinese type soup and fried calamari for supper. I should know better.

For my Valentine's supper tonight, I have a lobster tail thawing and will probably do it with sugar snap peas and maybe some quinoa. Lunch today will be water and the memory of two Hot Cross Buns.

Stay safe and warm if you are in this Snowmageddon!