Worldly Chicks - Feeling the Love for Ourselves and Our Friends in February

You're on Page 14 of 15
Go to
  • Morning all. Happy Hump Day. Back in the office today. I was checking e-mail while I was gone, but I still have a lot of catching up to do because most of what came in needs to be done now that I’m back in the office.

The conference was good. Shorter than then ones I went to for our old software, but probably a good length, especially since this is the first conference this company has held (founded in 2009 or 2010 I believe). Besides, too long and you fall too far behind back at the office, and your brain starts to go on overload/meltdown with all the information and ideas flowing into it.

==

Shad – Thank goodness DS wasn’t injured in that incident!!. Does he appear to be bouncing back from the mental impact of it? I certainly hope the electrician is able to successfully recover and work again. Thanks so much for posting all the wonderful photos. Love the flower photos especially - I’m definitely going to the flower & garden show this year. I’ll probably be fighting off the crowds – all of Chicagoland needs a shot of springtime during this brutal winter. It’s usually in Mid-March, still very wintery here. I also enjoyed the pic of the “soaking blokes”, and I know Mellie is looking down here enjoying it as well. Good for you re the pushup challenge. I still can’t do more than one standard pushup, but I guess this gives me reason to get going on some upper body strength training. I have a feeling I won’t be able to work up to more standard pushups until I get through more of this challenge, unless I boost my arm/chest strength another way.

Susie – I hope you’re feeling better and that you don’t have the flu!!! Glad to hear your dh’s urology report came back good. I hope the c-pap machine will help your hubby get more quality sleep and hence a better quality of life. My friend has one and it’s done her a world of good as far as the quality of rest she gets, let alone the reduced risk of serious apnea issues. They think apnea might have been related to the death of her husband three years ago when he was only 53. Nice you’ll be getting a tax refund to use to set up your spare room for exercise and guests. I’ve got to get going on my taxes. I’m pretty good about setting aside the relevant paperwork all year long, so it’s usually not a big deal. I like using Turbo Tax online.

Annie –Nice you got together with your cousins last weekend!! I’m glad Brandi is doing well. I’m so sorry to hear that your job at H. is going away. Scary prospect looking for a job, but you have an excellent work ethic and skills and you’ll come away with something good, I just know it!! Great suggestions from the others!

Ceejay – Did you pick out the new bedspread/comforter yet? I’m looking to make a change for our master bedroom bed. I do worry about picking something in a pattern or color of which I will tire quickly.

Happy – Sorry to hear the pain meds are causing you tummy troubles now. Hope you’re keeping warm enough and getting some pain relief, and that all the positives still outweigh the negatives up there, as well as outweighing the negatives of living in the south. Re the Birkie race results – I guess it would get boring if the weather conditions were always perfect, LOL. All that snow – yes, it’s piling up. Leaving O’Hare last night after bf picked me up, we saw a huge pile of frozen snow that was honest to God as black as coal! Never seen it that bad. It’s going to be around for a long time, that’s for sure!! I still have to watch the last episode of Downton Abbey, but yeh, sort of disappointing when you want more of them!! Yeh, Maggie Smith is so great in that role!! I’m not a watcher of The Amazing Race, but my mother is a big fan of it and she also gets annoyed when the sports broadcasts run long and mess up the timing of the other shows. We watch The Good Wife, and bf is always checking to see if he has to DVR the shows that follow it to ensure we get the whole episode. Wow, those are some steep insurance premiums and deductibles! Not to be too nosey…I don’t get how you can be locked into dh’s old employer’s plan – is it part of a pension? So financially it’s still a better deal than buying it on your own or o-care?

Terra – Sounds like a long day out yesterday. Enjoy dinner w/ your boyfriend & his parents today.

Michelle – How’s Santa’s paw doing now that he’s been on the antibiotics?? If you decided to jump on board w/ Downton Abbey, it won’t be a huge time commitment, given the seasons aren’t all that long, haha.

++

Atlanta was pleasant – temps in the 60’s during the day. It was going to cool down a bit starting today – temps in the 40’s, but it still would have been better than what we’re getting here. Right now it’s 6 F, with a wind chill advisory. Bleh. Gonna try to stop thinking about it….but I do have to relay the saga re my long down coat, which is still out at the cleaners. Dropped it off a week ago today, then find out via a posting on the cleaner’s door that a family death has caused them to shut down for 2-3 weeks (traveling back to Korea). Items can be picked up from 3-7 pm Mon-Sat. by going to the nail salon next door, but my coat wasn’t there when promised (last Friday) when I checked on Saturday. Or yesterday. But yesterday another posting on the door referenced another dry cleaner in another suburb, who is apparently doing the repair. Bf hunted them down and has arranged that the coat be brought to another dry cleaner in our suburb today. Oy, at least I’ll get it back today, I really need it!

Anyway, it was nice to be in milder temps for a couple days. I did get out Monday night on the patio during the welcome reception – a bit breezy for no coat, but just fine standing near the patio heater. Yesterday I walked the 2-3 blocks from the hotel to the MARTA station (rapid transit to the airport) because it was nice and sunny and in the 60’s. It was good to be outdoors and to get some exercise.

I was keeping up with my pushup challenge until last night, so I’ll have to double up tonight. Luckily, it’s still early and the reps aren’t too high right now.

As for eating, I fell off logging on MFP, but I’ll jump back in today or tomorrow. Nearly all the meals at the conference were provided, and all were buffet style. My eating was okay – breakfasts always included fresh fruit and lunches included salads and veggies. It was when left to my own devices that I did poorly – Sunday night I had some pulled pork from the bbq place, and one night the dessert offered didn’t include a chocolate choice, so I ended up buying a candy bar from the gift shop to get my chocolate fix. And yesterday I bought another candy bar and a couple salty snacks at the airport. Good thing I don’t travel for work anymore, LOL.

Okay, better get this done before there are more interruptions that keep me from ever getting this posted. TTFN!
  • I see you were typing over my head today Happy. Glad the PT guy is a straightforward, practical sort and took away some of the muscle stiffness. Is the vertigo manipulation something you can learn to do yourself?

What a cute pic of kitty! Awwwww.
  • Very busy today. I'll try and check in for personals later.

Santa is still limping, but I'm hoping he has some relief by the end of the week after a few more days of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds.

I've got a doctor appointment with a new doctor on my lunch hour. Mostly just a "Hi. Here's what I've got going on - diabetes, back pain, etc. How can I get healthier?"

We are getting some much needed rain today and they're saying it will be off and on through Sunday.
  • happy2bme ~ Yeah thats true

Laura ~ Yeah we had a nice time

I walked after we got home from dinner but I still have 21 mins left to do which I will do before bed. I'll be sure to walk 2 times Friday when Im homefor the day if not 3 times that day but my younger brother and his girlfriend and their child are moving in tomorrow so Im not sure how many walks I can get in because my younger brother and his girlfriend like watching t.v but maybe they'll be able to get t.v downstairs where they will be staying so that way I can still walk when I need too. Im not saying they have to always stay down stairs but that's where they're stuff is gonna be at but if they spend most of their time upstairs thats okay too, It is gonna start getting nicer outside so I'll just go outside more and walk, That way I can still do my walks no matter what.
  • Feel like poo today, didn't come to work yesterday. I have an appt this morning with the doc anyway so I will have her address my pounding head, stuffed up nose, cough and congestion...geez I might just have a cold. lol
    I just feel like I am in limbo.
  • Morning all,

Frigid out there - air temp of minus 15. Might warm up to minus 5. Tired of being cold and achey already. Even the bright sun doesn't help. Come on spring.

After 3 phone calls I finally got confirmation that they are doing another session of the yoga class so I only have time for a short post - have to get ready and get out the door in an hour.

Annie - I'm sorry you are feeling sick but with all the stress lately and this lousy winter, I can't say I'm surprised. Just get plenty of rest and eat lots of soup and feel better quickly! You have to be healthy if you want to kiss up Ace when he arrives! I pray for you each night that this is just a blip in front of something truly good for you around the corner.

Michelle - sorry to hear about Santa's woes. Poor little guy.

Laura - to your question, yes you can do the same series of movements that resets the inner ear crystals. It's more effective if the PT does it, but you can try it which I will. As for the insurance, DH contributed part of the money that went into the retiree savings and the company contributed part. It's just their rules that you have to use one of their plans exclusively if you want to utilize the contributions they made to the account. I think that stinks. My former employer would let you use any accredited insurance plan but DH's premiums even at that shocking rate were actually cheaper than what I'd have to pay under the retiree plan of my former employer. Crazy. Speaking of which - how nutty that you had to track down your coat? Glad you found it - not the time of year to be coatless! Was just reading an article about the easiest ways to gain weight and having to travel and eat out for business was one of the top 5. I can see that!

Sorry to be short - gotta get ready or I'll be late and don't want that. Hello to the rest of the Worldlies will catch up tonight.
  • Morning
    Annie
    I hope you feel better. This crazy weather is affecting a lot of people tthis way. My co-worker for one.

-------------
    Not much going on this morning. I need to make couple of phone calls and then finish cleaning/de-cluttering. Going to take some plastic bends to the shed. Also sent a text to my friend . She said that she would be back in town but will be staying at the store. Which is where she need to stay--in her own domain.
    More later.
  • I am back among the living. I guess I had the flu. I didn't eat anything other than jello, popsicels, dry toast and ginerale and some gateraide until yesterday. Yesterday I had clear broth soup and bananna. Today I feel back to normal.

The worst for the fever that kept coming back as soon as the Advil, or Tylenol wore off. Due to the fever I worked from home and also worked reduced hours. I worked through emails when I felt like I could and that was about it.

We are FREEZING here in Ohio and the wind is blowing, and blowing. We have sunny skies but it is so cold! At least the sun is better than cold, dark and dreary. They say we are going to get an ice storm on Sunday into Monday and then a bit of snow....oh the joys of winter.

I have read back through the posts and I want to say, you are the best bunch of ladies. The way you are have been helping Annie with her job loss....what amazing people you are!

Annie--I have been where you are and it brings a lot of emotions with it. I think that you should go and do all the doctor appointments you can get in. With your severence are they also going to provide insurance with that? I hope so, it would give you a little more time on the covereage. You have been given great job hunting advice. I would also say to create a Linked-in profile as that will give you exposure and also job leads.

Also, before you go, see if you can get some formal letters of recommendations. I did that and scanned them so that I could attach them when I applied to jobs online and I had them in my profile on Monster.

Shad: I am SO glad that your son wasn't seriously hurt! What a scary thing to have happen. Thanks for the pictures...and I loved the blokes in the water!

Laura: I'm glad that you are getting your coat back...I know you are dealing with this cold too and so I'm sure you need that down coat!

Ceejay: You are making such progress on your decluttering...good job.

Michelle: Good luck at the new doctor. Also, I hope that Santa is feeling better each day.

Happy: I see you are feeling the same way that I do about the winter and the cold. I've really about had it. I hope yoga was good today.

Terra: I love to walk outside as well and I can't wait for the spring/summer weather to get here.

Ok. I need to get back to work. See you all tomorrow
  • annie ~ Im sorry to hear you might have a cold, whatever you have I hope you feel better soon.

happy2bme ~ Yes its been really cold here in Kansas as well. Im glad to hear that there is another session of Yoga that you can go too.

Ceejay ~ Do you listen to music while you clean? I listen to music while I clean and walk(work out)

MyChoice2bfit ~ Its too bad we dont live in the same city, We could walk outside together, I love having a walking buddy, Scott doesnt always like walking with me so I sometimes walk by myself which is kinda boring but when it gets boring thats when I put on my headphones and turn on my discman (portable cd player)

I'll only get one walk in today and that will be this evening but I'll be sure to walk 2 times tomorrow when Im home for the day if not 3 times that day
  • Hi everyone -

Sorry our Midwestern chicks are having to deal with that crazy cold! We're getting rain here. It rained a little yesterday, a lot last night, and now it's cleared up in advance of the next rain coming in tonight/tomorrow. We need it so no one is complaining.

Work is going well...even though in double-checking the site after moving it to the new host, I learned that the programmer that was here before me, left a lot of links in place that point to content on the OLD site rather than on the new site! Since the old site is still alive, all the links work and all the images appear, but when we move to the new site, those will all be broken. So now instead of just doing a visual inspection of EVERY page, I have to do a thorough CODE inspection of EVERY page. I'll stop complaining though...after all, it is what I get paid to do.

Much love and many hugs,
  • Sorry - MIA. Things just got crazy at work and I now have more work than I can handle for the time being. Lucky my shoulders are broad. A whole new skill set seems to be coming my way.

So if I am missing, I will be around, I may read but not post. It's Friday and I am going home to sleep - I have new neighbours upstairs and I don't think we are going to be friendly. The noise last night was horrendous. I think someone complained because around 10pm everything went quiet.

Saturday, my sister and I are going to Government House - official home of the Governor General of New Zealand. The Governor General is the Queen's representative in NZ.
    Click the link to have a brief look at the house.https://gg.govt.nz/content/open-days-2014

Anyway, better get on and finish off my current work before the hoardes descend on me from 8.30 onwards all trying to decide why their work should be done by me, before anyone elses.

Photos to keep Happy warm? Lemme see. Okay
    Summer at the beach,
    A bench, a beach, blue skies, sunshine what more could you want
    Cathedral Cove
    A couple of dolphins enjoying life
    and the awwwwwwwww geee moment. A wedding, snow and the sun. Sorry shouldn't have put the snow in there, but they are nearly 10000 feet up.

• Afternoon all. I had a meeting first thing this morning. Glad it’s done. Plenty to catch up on, just not enough time!

Terra –When I used to walk for exercise, I liked listening to the radio or music. Now I like to listen to podcasts while I commute. Sure helps the time to go by. If I do cardio machines (which I don’t really like much), I like watching tv. It can be so boring without something to entertain me. Will your walks inside the house be affected because there’ll be more “stuff” to navigate around?

Susie – Glad you’re feeling better. I had the flu about a year ago, late January and it was awful. The fever was the worst – I don’t think I ever missed three consecutive days of work up to that point. Your point to Annie about obtaining letters of recommendation before she leaves reminded me that I need to decide if I should get something from my current boss – she’s retiring at the end of March. We’re on good terms, but not buddy-buddy, so I doubt I’ll be keeping closely in touch with her once she’s retired.

Happy – Very interesting about dh’s former employer having a plan that he’s required to use exclusively since the money is in there. Is that common?? I don’t use the high deductible medical plan our employer offers, so I don’t know how portable the health savings account (to which both the employer and employee contribute) is upon leaving the company or retiring.

Annie – I hope you feel better soon. I’m sure the combination of stress and inadequate sleep have contributed to that. Hope the doc helps. I agree with the others – get all the med appointments done that you can while you’re still there.

Michelle – How did the doc appt go yesterday? Good you’re getting the rain. You sure need it. Wish we could ship our frozen snow piles out to your area!! Sounds like a lot of work ahead for you in inspecting the entire site's coding. Good luck with that.

Ceejay – Good job continuing with the de-cluttering and cleaning. I feel like I can’t keep up. But then again, nothing much can happen while I sit on my butt on the sofa. Good to hear your friend won’t be a houseguest on this visit – it wasn’t easy or pleasant for you last time.

Hi Shad – Happy Friday to you!! Thanks for more beautiful pics.

++

Nothing much to report.

Turns out the other dry cleaner does NOT have my down coat…so I guess I’ll be waiting 3 weeks for it. I would never have left my coat with them if I’d gotten the impression they didn’t have a good plan in place for handling this type of stuff before they left for 3 weeks. I do have several other winter coats/jackets, it’s just that the long down coat is my warmest one. The one I’m wearing now is also long, with a wind resistant shell and a hood. But it’s old, so the zipper can be finicky, and it’s not quite as warm. Oh well, I’m layering up like I always do in this weather. I’ll get through it. I’m annoyed, so the dry cleaner will be getting an earful from me upon their return, as well as a negative Yelp review.

That’s about it for me. Off to post!
  • Shad
    Love the pictures, even the snow, though I thought it was sand. Don't work to hard.

Michelle
    I wish I had your computer skills, especially when I get myself into a peck of trouble on the computer.

Terra
    Sometimes I do listen to music while I clean. It helps me relax.

Susie
    Ugh on the flu. No I haven't bought the comforter yet but I have made up my mind. If I had known that my income tax money was in the bank Saturday I would have bought it. Still thinking about the animal print, leopard mainly.

-------
    Haven't done a lot today. I'd been expecting a back up battery from ADT but it hadn't arrived so I called to check on the status. Then I had to call FEDEX they hadn't seen it. So back to ADT. I'm calling tomorrow to get a new tracking code. Don't think that's very good business.
  • Michelle ~ Yes I cant wait until the next season comes. Its been cold for too long.

Shad ~ H-I- Thanks for posting the pictures

Laura ~ Nope I dont think my walks inside will be affected by my younger brother and his family moving in, At least I hope they arent cause when it rains or snows Im not gonna want to walk outside, Thats for sure.

Im having a hard time staying awake, My caffeine soda isnt even doing the trick right now like it usually does and I still need to walk for 45 mins tonight. Grrrr.....I dont know what Im gonna do.
  • Morning all. Happy Friday.

Shad – Happy Saturday. Enjoy the tour of the Government House. Took a quick peek at a few pics of the interior. Now why aren’t there any plants/flowers in the conservatory???

Ceejay – Hope you get the battery thing straightened out. What a PITA when you have to go tracking down things like that. Enjoy the rest of your 3-day weekend.

Terra – Hopefully you caught your second wind and were able to do your evening walk.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies! I’ll check back in later.
    ==

Again nothing much to report. I’m up to date on my pushup challenge. Not trying very hard to do the standard pushups, but I’ve decided I’ll do two sets of the day’s reps to get more pushups in. Today I did a set this morning and I’ll do another set this evening.

Need to get some more exercise into my routine, but I don’t plan to go to the gym this weekend. I need to focus on doing some tasks around the house.

Oh, here’s something I keep forgetting to mention: I paid a one-time fee of $75 back in 2010 for use of the fitness center in the office building in which I work. Well, I’ve never enjoyed trying to fit in a cardio workout at lunchtime (too rush-rush), so I’ve probably used it less than a dozen times. Now we’ve been informed that the fitness center is converting to a full-service staffed facility. It’ll charge a monthly fee of $55. I definitely won’t be using it once the conversion is complete, but that won’t happen until June at the earliest, so I might try using it for non-cardio workouts until then. Might as well get my $75 worth out of it, lol.

That’s it for me. Everyone have a great day.