Daily Accountability/Lifestyle Change - February 2014 - Everyone Welcome!

You're on Page 13 of 26
Go to
  • Diana it's slowly warming up...it's in the teens tonight and starting to snow...the humidity here on the coast makes the low temps feel MUCH colder

lately I've been starting the day with good intentions and then my eating goes downhill from there.....I think it's from the cold, eating to get or stay warm, wanting carbs more etc...today was valentine's celebrations at school and I ate far too much sweets, had 3 corndogs which NEVER sit well, and too much coffee
  • Looks like the cold is making its way to almost everyone. We had a few snowed in days but it's all gone now.

Breakfast:
    Egg, english muffin sandwich with goat cheese and bacon.
    Coffee with milk

Lunch:
    Bean burrito

Dinner:
    A new recipe for a clam soup. It was so darn good and low calorie! Too bad the sourdough bread on the side was not low calorie.

Total cals 1622

Hubs and I signed up at a gym yesterday and tonight was our first time attempting a workout there. Its been a while! In the past I've always stuck with cardio and classes. This time I want to focus on weights. I felt very wimpy and disoriented but hopefully with a better plan and a checklist I can get a routine going.
  • Good morning all, up a couple points to 155.1, on track for a good weigh in tomorrow. Snow has started, not sure if I'm going in or not, w're on the edge but still calling for 1-4 and it's 10 right now. Going to have my oatmeal and see how thing look in a half hour or so.

Basically same plan as yesterday except today no wrap and will do exercises.

Stay safe and warm everyone!
  • Good morning everyone!

I haven’t posted for a couple of days. I keep falling asleep early while watching the Olympics.

Diana: thanks for the link. I’ve never heard of that company before. By the way, have you gotten iced in? The weather has been so freaky this year! Hope you’ve kept safe and warm.

Larry: thanks for the link to the volumetrics thread. I’ve gotten the book, and I’ve just started reading it. I needed something different because I find I get sooo hungry at times. I actually eat sort of volumetrics style already – large amounts of fruits and veggies everyday – but I’m sure there’s more I can do.

Radiojane: Wishing you all the best in breaking 373! Just stick with it.

Laciemn: Hope you didn’t get hit too hard by the weather. I’m so sorry to hear about your illness. I’m wishing you the best health possible, and lots of courage.

I tried to stay below 1800 calories on Tuesday, but I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t exercise that day, but still ate 2050 calories. Then yesterday I did a super hard workout that burned nearly 500 calories, and I ate only 1715 calories. Go figure. The scale is staying in the 154’s. Here’s hoping it goes lower soon. I’m going to start experimenting with Volumetrics, and see if that helps me feel satisfied on fewer calories.

Have a good day, everyone!
  • 92kg
    Vegan for 2 weeks.
  • Good Morning, Everyone!

David Griffin Hi and Welcome to the check-in!

We are getting a late start this morning since it was suppose to get a little worse over night. It appears that we didn't get the worse of it. There were a couple different models the weather people were talking about. Yesterday looked worse than it does this morning.

Last night I added on: Breathing Exercises to Calm the Mind from Yoga for Stress Relief

Calories for yesterday: 1370 +
    Weigh In: 162.4
    Down: .8

Have a great day!
  • hi everyone! I'm feeling very blessed to be having such great weather! I'm sorry for everyone who is dealing with cold temps...I hate the cold. I am not too fond of the heat, either. Being from a beach city here in So Cal, I'm super spoiled and picky about the weather...living in the SFV (San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles County) for the past 20 years I still haven't gotten used to the summer heats of 90+.

Today is going to be 82

Ok, on the menu today:

B - blueberry Greek yogurt
    L - salad: romaine, slice of deli turkey, 1 hard boiled egg, energy nut mix, honey mustard BH Farms
    D - turkey or salmon patty with sauteed zoodles and lite Jarlsberg on top May need a baked potato, too, to keep full and focused for my accounting midterm
  • Down another pound of water. I'm eating too much cheese again and I need to curb it.

Yesterday calories in:1230
    Pork roast
    curry sauce
    broccoli
    kale slaw
    feta cheese
    onion
    aged cheddar
  • Yesterday's food

Breakfast was 1 cup (two servings) of Fiber One cereal with 3/4 cup skim milk and a packet of Sweet N Low.

Lunch was a medium Granny Smith Apple

Afternoon Snack was one more medium Granny Smith Apple

Dinner, I had a huge Volumetrics style serving of pasta. 8 oz dry Dreamfields elbows (that is four servings) to which I added a can of no salt added stewed tomatoes and chopped green bell pepper. I spiced it with Garlic powder, Oregano, Italian seasoning and Sirarcha hot sauce. It was delicious and very filling. My nutrition for the day:

Calories 1,213 Goal 1,700
    Carbs 295g Goal 213g
    Fat 6g Goal 47g
    Protein 41g Goal 106g
    Sodium 498mg Goal 2,300mg
    Fiber 64g Goal 30g
  • Larry Volumetrics sounds awesome...I ADORE pasta! Is there anything that is restricted? I love meat, too...was just wondering if you get to eat much of it?
  • Quote: Larry Volumetrics sounds awesome...I ADORE pasta! Is there anything that is restricted? I love meat, too...was just wondering if you get to eat much of it?
    Nothing is totally restricted, however you should eat the most volume from low calorie dense foods. Calorie density is not listed on nutrition labels but you can easily figure it out. Take the calories per serving from the label and divide it by the weight in grams. You will get a number somewhere between 0 for water and 9 for fats. Don't worry about exact numbers close is OK.

Food is divided into four groupings by calorie density.

Category 1 foods very low calorie dense foods less than 0.6
    Includes most fruits and vegetables, skim milk, and broth based soups

Category 2 foods low calorie dense foods 0.6 to 1.5
    Includes many cooked grains, breakfast cereals with low-fat milk, low-fat meats, beans and legumes, low-fat mixed dishes and salads.

Category 3 foods medium calorie dense foods 1.5 to 4.0
    Includes meats, cheeses, high-fat mixed dishes, salad dressings, some snack foods

Category 4 foods High calorie dense foods 4.0 to 9.0
    Includes crackers, chips, chocolate candies, cookies, nuts, butter and full-fat condiments

Volumemetrics stresses the need for adequate daily protein and fats but suggests most of the bulk of your foods come from category 1 and/or 2 while at the same time making sure you are getting enough protein and fats but not excessive protein or fat. Do this and your portion size will be larger for any given calorie amount.

By experimenting you can take a high calorie dense food and lower it's density by adding vegetables or water. Take for example Mac and Cheese, very high calorie density but if you start adding vegetables to it the calorie density comes down and you can eat a larger serving.
  • Hey everyone. I've been busy with work and wedding plans. The trip is booked for the end of November with our wedding on the 27th which is Thanksgiving Day. Odd I know but there was no way around it..long story. I haven't flown since 1995 so this is HUGE for me. I'm very afraid of flying but I'm feeling determined.

Turks and Caicos has been on my bucket list for a looooog time. I figured what better place?

I'll be leaving for the gym in a few.

• No change for me today. 174.8lbs

Calories will be about 1500. It snowed hard so no work or gym today. So I have been shoveling snow. That was a workout!

Fat Calories Protein Carbs
    Breakfast
    oats 3 150 4 27
    Flaxseed milk 2 19 0 1
    dried apricot 0 16 0 4
    honey 0 21 0 6
    Coffee 3 25 0 1
    Polar Kippers 12 162 14 0
    Coffee 3 25 0 1

Lunch
    quails eggs 3 42 4 0
    Skipanon Smoked chinook 21 315 30 0
    Wild planet shrimp 2 80 16 0
    Bar Harbor Clams in water 1 67 12 0
    anchovies 2 65 10 0
    Honey 0 64 0 17
    Tomato 0 11 1 2
    Mushroom 0 2 0 0
    Red onion 0 8 0 2
    Kidney beans 0 18 1 3
    Kimchi 0 70 7 7

Beer 0 300 0 26
    Total 51 1459 100 98
    Weight 174.8
    Protein/weight ratio 0.57
    Targets based on weight Low High
    Calories 2447 2797
    Fat based on 20-30% caloric intake 32 49
    20% less calories to cut 1958

Exercise: Shoveled the heavy, wet stuff.
  • Thanks roadbikerchick! I'm in remission now, so I don't struggle the way I used to, I just have residual weakness around of the proximal muscles. Doing pretty well today. I got a lot of studying done today, although I'm afraid I'm still quite unclear on some of the calculus concepts I'm trying to learn.

I didn't count, but ate less than usual. I was still 160.0 this morning. For breakfast, I had half a can of vegetable beef soup with added spinach, cheese and a roll. For lunch, I had beans and rice with cheese and salsa. For dinner, I am having steamed salmon with rice(and butter) with added spinach.
  • Quote: Hey everyone. I've been busy with work and wedding plans. The trip is booked for the end of November with our wedding on the 27th which is Thanksgiving Day. Odd I know but there was no way around it..long story. I haven't flown since 1995 so this is HUGE for me. I'm very afraid of flying but I'm feeling determined.

Turks and Caicos has been on my bucket list for a looooog time. I figured what better place?

I'll be leaving for the gym in a few.
    Congratulations!! You will have much to be thankful for that day