Phase 1 to 2 transition

• Yesterday I started my transition to Phase 2, loosely following the guidelines set up in the book (after all, they're just guidelines, right?)

I went pretty hardcore on absolutely no sugar during my Phase 1, which was the best move I've ever made diet wise. Sugar is so useless for us nowadays. But before I get into a rant over it lol, I started eating bananas again...one of my favorite fruits! I had one yesterday and holy moly was it sweet! I almost couldn't finish it. I had even spread a little bit of peanut butter on it to help cut the sweetness but man...that was intense lol.

I had one today too and had the same reaction. Did anyone else have this reaction to reintroducing fruits? I'm super fascination by nutrition and how our bodies interact with food, and that was incredible to me.
  • I'm in the last few days of Phase 1, but have done SBD before. I find by the end of phase 1, I can taste sweetness in foods that aren't considered sweet. I think that once our bodies/tongues stop being used to being washed in a constant flood of sugar, they start to be more sensitive to what sugar is in things.

Maybe if you're finding it too sweet, get less ripe bananas, or introduce whole grains instead of fruit each day?
  • Yeah, I had the same reaction when I was eating a few red grapes yesterday. If you don't eat any sugar at all then I think your tastebuds radically change. I didn't think I wouldn't notice so much because I do use artificial sweetener in my coffee & sometimes my cottage cheese but the fruit was way sweeter than I remembered. Also, the reason the banana may have been so sweet tasting to you is that is a tropical fruit which tends to be higher in fructose. I was just looking up in a South Beach Good Fats/Good Carbs guide I have and heres an example of tropical fruits to other fruits:

3.5 ozs banana= 19g sugar and 23g carb
    1 cup pineapple=18g sugar and 20g carb

1 apple, 4 oz=12g sugar and 16g carb
    20 grapes, red or green=15g sugar and 16g carb

I think personally I will always check the sugar grams or GI index of a fruit before I eat it.
  • Good point pearlygirly! I'll have to look into the sugar grams as well.

chubbybunny29, I was thinking of doing that - introducing whole grains instead of fruit. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy not eating sugar anymore. On that rare occasion I find that if I want something sugary, I have a cup of tea or a handful of nuts and my craving disappears. I don't even crave fruit. I just want veggies and protein all the time. And I'm okay with that lol

I bake my own bread, so I made a 100% whole wheat loaf that has a tiny bit of molasses in it, which ultimately fixes any sugar craving I could possibly have throughout the day. I think I'll just stick with that and maybe spread a few pieces of fruit throughout the week.