How do people ask you about your weight?

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • In 2004 I went from 350lbs down to 185lbs. I couldn't go a day with out my own family making comments on my boney fingers or my tiny ankles ....it was always something. They didn't see that they were doing anything. But coming from being big and then feeling fantastic every comment they made ended up making me feel self contious. I eventually gaining back to 220 and staying there until 3 years ago. Now here I am starting back at 309.
  • [QUOTE=brelo;4929929] Well, I took a break from IP and I am back now, and I have decided not to weigh! I am not weighing at home, and at my clinic appointments I am not looking at the scale and have asked to not be told. All I want to know is up, down, or the same. I am weary of hyper fixating on a number.

I almost cheered you out loud when I read this. Bravo brave lady!
  • I'm always tickled when someone comes up and says "wow, you look great!" and then we go on to other things.

Had to laugh at my nephew though - his mom said "did you notice your aunt lost weight, doesn't she look great?" He told her "yes, but it's not polite to comment on someone's weight." Such a sweet kid! I gave him a big hug and told him "for women, you can just tell them their hair looks nice."

However, I am always happy to discuss diet, nutrition, etc. with people who are truly interested in how I am doing it (I'm not talking about the people who just want to bash any diet program they don't understand). I've had great conversations with acquaintances about struggles with weight loss - people I never would have thought struggled with their weight, but have issues maintaining a good weight.
  • I had another client who was telling me about a cleanse she was doing and it was very similar to IP so I started talking about IP and she recommended a great local restaurant that has several IP compliant dishes! My husband and I went there a few weeks ago. It was nice to be able to order right off the menu without saying none of this that or this! And the prices were great as well!
  • Quote: It's so annoying sometimes. My manager will literally pull other people over to her desk to gush about how much weight I've lost. Maybe I don't want everyone to know or ask questions. I just don't understand people.
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I am so sensitive that if my boss did that to me, it's almost passive-agressive.

Sue.
  • Quote: I'm also on guard ever since, a few months ago, someone asked me how much I've lost. Proudly I answered, his eyes got wide and he said "wow, you must have been a real porker before."
    Boooooooooo.....how mean!!
  • And then there are the folks who get really upset because no one seems to notice that they have lost any weight.

The folks around us don't stand a chance...should they mention it when they notice we have lost some weight or should they just pretend they don't see what they see?

For the folks who don't want the comments they are getting...how about not responding to those comments. The uncomfortable silence that follows will put the person on notice that you don't want your weight being talked about.

Or when asked how much weight you have lost just come back with "I don't know but I feel a lot healthier!" That would also stop the "How much more are you going to lose?" question since you haven't given them something to base that question on.

A lot of us are very sensitive to how people view us and our being overweight is often a big failure in our eyes so we pretend we aren't as fat as we are. So sometimes the comments, no matter how well-intended or supportive they are, points out how large we really are/were and it stings.

We don't need to feel like we "owe" anyone an answer to questions about our weight because it IS a very personal question. If you want to answer and are proud of what you have accomplished, then exclaim it. But if you don't want to answer because you are a more private person, then silence will go a long ways to stopping the questions.

You are all doing fantastic working on your health and I hope you can realize how truly amazing you all are!
  • Thank you for your post Brelo!

galpal445, I agree with your post! A good solution!
  • Just the other day an old coworker and I crossed paths. At first when he saw me he just stared, then asked "have you been ill?" And kept continuing on asking me if I'm ok and have I been sick. I couldn't help but think, gee I must be a little green today, I must look sick. Until it dawned after on me that he hasn't seen me since I lost 50lbs. It's funny, I still see myself as my old weight, so I didn't think twice that it was my weight loss he was commenting on.
    I wasn't sure how I felt after that.