IP Daily Chat

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: Day 5 and I am working my way through the bag of food sampler pack... It is amazing to me how motivating reading this forum is every night. Tomorrow I am going out for dinner for the first time on plan. I hope I don't screw it up! I think I am in ketosis because of the funny taste in my mouth and endless thirst and slight headache.... could I be right? Thanks everyone!
    Sounds like you are well on your way!

Ordering out is no problem...dry grilled chicken, steak, fish, etc and steamed veggies! Plus someone else does the dishes
  • Quote: Day 5 and I am working my way through the bag of food sampler pack... It is amazing to me how motivating reading this forum is every night. Tomorrow I am going out for dinner for the first time on plan. I hope I don't screw it up! I think I am in ketosis because of the funny taste in my mouth and endless thirst and slight headache.... could I be right? Thanks everyone!
    It sounds like ketosis to me, though I don't recall being thirsty. Are you getting enough water & getting in the vitamin, mineral, salt supplements?

Going out to eat is always a challenge for me. If you can check the menu online beforehand and planning ahead helps. Don't be shy about asking the staff to prepare your food IP friendly, like hold the sauce, lemon instead of dressing, etc. Fill up on water if you can before going.
  • I have to go to Toronto tomorrow so I am going to stop into the low carb grocer to see what I can find! I didn't realize it was just a few blocks away from where my sister used to live. So many opportunities to have gone there! I'm pretty excited to get some pancake mix!
  • Quote: It sounds like ketosis to me, though I don't recall being thirsty. Are you getting enough water & getting in the vitamin, mineral, salt supplements? .
    OMG

You weren't thirsty??? I had a thirst that couldn't be quenched at first.
  • [QUOTE=FutureFitChick;4927240]Hi, IPers!

I would really like to get back in the habit of regular posting, but with my work schedule, I am not sure that is realistic. I have a bad pattern of setting up unrealistic expectations in about every area of my life and then disappointing myself. I have gained back some of weight that I had gotten rid of "forever". But, it only is "forever" if you stick with the healthy habits, right? I got up early this morning, which felt great, but then over indulged in an off-plan breakfast. I am being accountable here! I have been trying to decide if I should go back on Phase I or not right now. It may not be the best time, but I am impatient for the weight to be gone!

Exercise right now is pre-hab (PT). I fell skiing just before Christmas, fractured my tibia, completely tore my ACL, partially tore my MCL and meniscus, and damaged the surrounding muscles. Surgery is next week... For now, I am in relatively little pain. So I am tempted to prep a bunch of food so that after my surgery when I can't access the kitchen on my own, I can go through Induction. Does that sound stupid? My only concern is the dairy. I have always been a consummate dairy consumer, and until now I have never broken anything. I don't know if it is just bad luck now, of if IP (Alternatives) and the lack of regular exercise made me predisposed to the injury. (I am thinking calcium and vitamin D in particular.) I was taking calcium supplements fairly regularly, but was less in the habit after I moved on from Phase I.

Also, on Phase I before I had started out with EAS drinks and PureProtein bars. As I progressed, I was using very little of those and more and more of the products available at Nashua. I was pretty good about checking labels and making sure I was selecting non-restricted and restricted foods fairly close to the IP label nutrition. But, my weight loss slowed and eventually stalled for a long time. I may go back to just the EAS drinks and PureProtein bars for my IP foods. (It may also be much easier on my husband while I recover.)

Hi Futurefitchick. I can totally relate to you. In the past I tore my ACL and both miniscuses in my right knee. It would be a really tough choice whether or not you want to start Phase I at this time. You have to be in the right place mentally and totally commit. Of surgery is so soon do you think this is the optimal time to recommit yourself to this? What about after surgery? It would only stall it two weeks or so. I remember after my surgery I was hungry all the time because the medications I were on kept me up. I couldn't sleep at all and so I was starving from lack of sleep. And then all that work just to move around in crutches. On IP you're supposed to do miniimal excersizing. Well using crutches is work. Anyway I wish you the best with your surgery and if you go back kn Phase I we will be here if you decide that!! 😊
  • [QUOTE=FutureFitChick;4927240]Hi, IPers!

I would really like to get back in the habit of regular posting, but with my work schedule, I am not sure that is realistic. I have a bad pattern of setting up unrealistic expectations in about every area of my life and then disappointing myself. I have gained back some of weight that I had gotten rid of "forever". But, it only is "forever" if you stick with the healthy habits, right? I got up early this morning, which felt great, but then over indulged in an off-plan breakfast. I am being accountable here! I have been trying to decide if I should go back on Phase I or not right now. It may not be the best time, but I am impatient for the weight to be gone!

Exercise right now is pre-hab (PT). I fell skiing just before Christmas, fractured my tibia, completely tore my ACL, partially tore my MCL and meniscus, and damaged the surrounding muscles. Surgery is next week... For now, I am in relatively little pain. So I am tempted to prep a bunch of food so that after my surgery when I can't access the kitchen on my own, I can go through Induction. Does that sound stupid? My only concern is the dairy. I have always been a consummate dairy consumer, and until now I have never broken anything. I don't know if it is just bad luck now, of if IP (Alternatives) and the lack of regular exercise made me predisposed to the injury. (I am thinking calcium and vitamin D in particular.) I was taking calcium supplements fairly regularly, but was less in the habit after I moved on from Phase I.

Also, on Phase I before I had started out with EAS drinks and PureProtein bars. As I progressed, I was using very little of those and more and more of the products available at Nashua. I was pretty good about checking labels and making sure I was selecting non-restricted and restricted foods fairly close to the IP label nutrition. But, my weight loss slowed and eventually stalled for a long time. I may go back to just the EAS drinks and PureProtein bars for my IP foods. (It may also be much easier on my husband while I recover.)

Wound healing requires optimal nutrition, including adequate calories. Although IP is muscle-sparing, they don't claim to be 100% so. I'd suggest getting some input from your surgeon as to when would be a good time for IP relative to surgery. You are pumped to start your weight loss but don't short yourself for getting the very best result from your surgery.
  • Quote: OMG

You weren't thirsty??? I had a thirst that couldn't be quenched at first.
    Wow we are all so different! There's ALWAYS something new i learn on 3FC. I've always struggled, since day one, to get my water in as I'm never thirsty. Age related decline of thirst sensor? I'm 60.
  • The posts yesterday about the WF products was very interesting to me. I really enjoy the 1000 island and ranch with bacon dressing. I actually carry them in my purse so if I end up going to a restraunt to eat. I actually took it out of my purse one night when I was at Ruby Tuesdays when I was sitting at the bar and the people that were also sitting at the bar asked what I had. I said this dressing has no sugar and no calories and it is really good. Then they went back to eating their food and a little while later they apologised to me and I asked why? They said we just ordered desert and I said that is ok, Then the lady says you could put your dressing on it and then eat it. It was fun to break the ice and have them realise that life and treats are different to all of us.
    I even used the WF mayo to make deviled eggs and they were great.
  • So many thoughtful posts today, I want to comment on them all. Some great parenting and self care advice. Great NSV's and loses.

I'm down 4 lbs and feel getting excited to being closer to "onederland".

Stay warm.
  • lighthouse101 I just wanted to tell you that I have been working out 2x's a day now for a couple weeks and wow the energy I have is amazing. I think you just have to keep going and remember mentally this is truly a great thing to do for yourself. The time we put aside for ourselves if something that is not replaceable. We put this time aside for ourselves and what better people we become. This is truly something that has made me feel great and I truly know it's making me a better person and definately stronger, and I can handle stress better now.
  • Way to go Deanaa 509, you are inspiring me...
  • Quote: My body doesn't want to give me that reward quite yet. I'm very close..1.2lbs away!
    I soooo love the way you wrote this. I'm getting a little tired of everyone freaking out over smaller losses and using the dreaded "only" word. I think I'm going to borrow your idea and thank my body for rewarding me with this 30lb loss so far!
  • Quote: I soooo love the way you wrote this. I'm getting a little tired of everyone freaking out over smaller losses and using the dreaded "only" word. I think I'm going to borrow your idea and thank my body for rewarding me with this 30lb loss so far!
    I love the wording too. And I'm a LOT tired of the complaining.