Regainers regaining control, and relosing

You're on Page 15 of 31
Go to
  • Hi kids.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, all. I had an okay weekend - not a great one - and took yesterday off to hang out with my brother who was visiting for Passover.

Boy am I feeling this extra weight right now. Stuffing myself into my clothes like a sausage. Ugh. That has to be my motivation to make the right choices today.

My girlfriend suggested that I might be over-restricting. She pointed out that I am still exercising quite a bit and that maybe my calorie target is actually too low for that, leading to the binges. I'm not sure it's that simple (about the binging), and like everyone I am always nervous about upping my calorie target. But I'm going to take her words to heart and consider adding an extra couple hundred calories of protein to my day.

Have any of you done anything like this recently? I'm thinking if it can help me keep on track it is worth doing, even if it just gets me a few weeks solidly on plant without a gain. Once I have that under my belt (as if there is any room there!) I can work on reducing again, with more care.
  • Hi Carter: I think that is a great idea. I've done that before and it just is kind of amazing that you eat more, but still do better with losing weight. I think you can totally restrict yourself too much. If you're working out hard, you need to make sure you are getting sufficient calories to keep your energy up. I think you should give it a shot!

As for me, just hanging in there. Not much excitement.
  • Hello, all. I'm another regainer relosing, to my shame. Still... my personal mantra is to persevere, and that means that I can't just give up. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I think it is time to participate again.
  • @Calluna: Welcome! You will persevere and we are here to make sure you don't give up! PLus - we are all guilty of lurking so it happens.

As for myself! I lost a whopping 1 lb from last week to this one which, while small, is still a victory. I am having trouble keeping my calories down since I am so hungry lately (but I eat healthy foods!). I guess I just need to watch/plan better.

In more personal news - I scheduled an appointment for my first tattoo and I am extremely nervous and scared. I am not telling people or showing them what i am getting in my life because it is none of their business but...it's scary!
  • Hi kids!

So: I am happy to report one day on plan. So far, so good. Now to string a second one on to that.

It being Passover is actually pretty helpful for me. There are some tempting, delicious foods traditionally associated with Passover but I don't have a lot of it in my house. So all Passover means for me is that I can't give in to the temptation to eat cookies after lunch or to binge on candy and pretzels.

And if I can resist the temptation this week, I can resist it once Passover is done, too.

Slashnl: How are you feeling now that the competition is done? Have you been able to keep up the pace and focus of your efforts? Conversely are you content to settle into a less intense routine?

calluna: glad you decided to step out and join us. Is there anything you
    find especially challenging about approaching a regain?

SugarRomeoTango: please don't ever be disappointed with a pound lost in a week. I pound-a-weeked away 120 pounds. (More like 4-5 pounds a monthed it away, but a pound a week on average.) It's a good reliable healthy rate of weight loss. A lot of people get stuck in the "only"-a-pound-a-week trap and somehow convince themselves they are doing it wrong or need to to try harder or be more restrictive and end up psyching themselves right off plan. You're doing great! Just stick with it.
  • SRT4852: Good luck on the tattoo. That is one thing I'll never have. I am certainly not against them, but I would be terrified of having it done. So, you are way braver than me. Congrats on the pound loss!

Calluna: Good to see you on this thread. I just said hi to you on another thread, so glad that you are posting here, too. We'll all keep each other going!!

Carter: Great job! Proud of you for your one day at a time approach! You can do it. As for me, the end of the competition was a huge letdown. Much more so than I thought it would be. I was disappointed that I didn't win, and then it was just hard to maintain the focus. I'm working hard to get it back, so I set a mini goal of losing 50 lbs by July. I needed something to strive for, I think. But, the intensity is not back yet. I think I'm finally over the disappointment, but still trying to keep up a strong pace. (Thanks for asking! It helped to put that out in writing.)

Still keeping it going with the gym. Spin class was today. I was late getting up, so I was a little late getting to the class. I almost talked myself into not going, so I'm claiming victory for getting there!

Have a good one!
  • Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

@Romeo, I think the thing that I find most challenging is focusing on my eating problem, not my weight problem. It's much easier to focus on pounds and calories.
  • @Carter: WOO, hopefully it’s more than one day on plan now. I am not familiar with Passover at all but if you are resisting temptation then you are doing great!
    I am not disappointed (ok – maybe a little!) but I also know that it is currently my own fault. I am not sticking as strictly as I should to my 1,400 – 1,600 calories. I keep ending up at 1,800 – 2,000 and it’s frustrating because I know I am BORED eating which is my biggest weakness and not hitting the gym as much. I will get back on the right track – just might be a little slowe than I want.

@Slashnl: Talking yourself into going even when exhausted is impressive so I give you complete props and much credit for that. I have been so tired in the mornings I’ve only made it one day this week (Tuesday). I wish I could kick myself in the rear and get there like you do.
    And trust me – I am terrified out of my poor little mind but this too shall pass.
    @Calluna: I understand that because I am the same way (provided I understand what you are saying). My weight really ISN’T my biggest problem – the fact that I eat like I am starving and I love food so much is. I need to build a thicker skin around food and I am sure my weight will be much less of an issue.

As for myself – like I said, I am slinking in here shamefaced and a little OP but trying to find my north star. Exhaustion is kicking my butt and willpower but at least I am acknowledging that I am the one making terrible food/exercise choices (not blaming anyone else) which is a step in the right direction. I was talking to a friend on WW (she has managed to gain 8 lbs on it and is so discouraged) so I suggested we try a program together (Shred or Super Shred) since I have a friend who LOVES it. Maybe it will work but I am nervous. Anyone on here every tried any of those book programs?
  • Hi all. Not much to say today. I took a day off from the gym today. Just feeling a little too sore and tired, but I'll go back tomorrow. I don't mind working out, it makes me feel good, but I'm with all of you with the food issue. I love it and I struggle with keeping at a deficit!
  • Good morning, everyone! I had a good day yesterday, even finding a little time to squeeze in a brisk walk with #1 son (who is super fit). Hoping that today will go as well.

It's nice that it is warming up a bit outside - not freezing so much at night - and the snow is mostly gone. Soon I'll get the bikes out! Mine will whimper in fear when I approach it, no doubt...
  • This thread should be the busiest on the forum because I think anyone who says they have never regained is a liar. It's the nature of weight loss. The important thing is to see it for what it is, get right back on the wagon and lose it all over again. Unfortunately, this is a life long struggle.
  • @Wannabe, it is/will be a lifelong effort for me. It's pretty hard for a lot of us to think about the regain, though... let alone admit it in a public forum.

@Romeo, you understand me correctly. I have all sorts of eating behaviors, and some of them are pretty destructive. Not all, thank goodness.
  • Calluna: Funny comment about the bike. I always think that my horse says the same thing when she sees me coming with my saddle. Hopefully, I will keep lightening her load.

Wannabe: That's the truth. I know of very few who haven't had some kind of relapse, and regain. We just have to keep trying! There isn't any other option!

Looking forward to the weekend. I'm ready! Today is my daughter's 20th birthday. She recently moved out and so we're going to do a little shopping for her new place. Should be fun! Tonight is pizza and cake.... will have to find a little discipline.
  • Slashnl, I used to have horses when I lived in PA. In AK, it's too expensive to keep them and so it is a bike for me. I hope you go for a ride on this beautiful day! (at least it is here...)
  • yup. me. totally.
    This is me to a T. I went from 220 to 165 in 2010/11 because of WW and then, largely due to stress of going to school and then getting a job that provided ample temptation to binge while working in my car, I gained it all back. I'm currently at 226 and feeling super down. I imagine that I struggle with what others struggle with here- emotional eating on poor choices, not enough activity, etc.

A few posts up, someone mentioned the Shred, which I have done with some success before. The key is (ugh) consistency. I've also done the c25k program but right now, I'm not doing anything :S