The Slow Carb Diet (Thread 2)

You're on Page 7 of 34
Go to
  • Good morning everyone. winter has finally hit us here. It's cold, brrrr. I will workout agin today. i'm a lb away from my ticker so hopefully by Saturday I will a little below, I can start using it again. My plan today
    BF: protein shake
    20 mins crosstrainer, maybe another protein shake
    Lunch; salad, avocado and turkey slices a little feta cheese and black olives, WF salad dressing
    snack: peanuts/protein bar
    dinner; chili and veg,diet coke.
    lots of water
    stay warm. good luck everyone
  • TwoTots good for you Your meals today sound like mine

B ~ Protein shake
    L ~ Tuna, unwrap with provolone
    S ~ Chili
    D ~ Chicken unwrap, green pepper, onion, shredded cheddar

water water water and green tea

I'm down .2 to 168.8 and TOM has come to visit for the second time this month

Have a great day everyone, stay warm and if you have to go out be safe
  • Hi everyone! Down 1.5 lbs at my WW weigh-in last night. Not a lot, but I'll take it!

Congrats on reaching your goal Gary! 20 lbs in 1 month is incredible! And I agree with your recent post about low GI. Low carb really helps me lose weight but meat is sometimes hard for me since I was a vegetarian for a very long time. Recently been adding beans and hummus and still losing, just not quite as fast, but it is more satisfying. But let me eat just a little bread, even whole wheat, and it seems like I'm starving a few hours later and stop losing.

So sadly, my fitbit flex is completely destroyed and no warranty plan. Dang! Expensive to replace and I really love it since it usually inspires me to do extra steps at the end of the day if I haven't made my 10,000 step goal. Guess I should at least be happy that he didn't swallow it and leave me with expensive vet bills to boot!

Have a great everyone!
  • Hi BigJoe, the slow-carb diet advises at least 20g of protein per meal...and especially at breakfast. I think generally speaking if you are working out with weight training and male you should have around 30g.

Congrats Steph on your loss! 1.5 is a perfect weight loss for a week. I mean, I know how you feel and I sure want to lose it faster, but it is a solid weight loss. So sorry about your Fitbit! My girlfriend loves, loves hers and would be super upset too, so I get it.

Rennie let me know how you do on the Atkins induction. I did that in October and did lose weight quickly the first week. Water weight that my body was giving up due to the loss of carbs. If you get headaches you may need to increase your sodium because you may be losing too much water weight.

So I went from 150.2 to 149.8 today (not terrible). Last week on Thur I weighed in at 149 and dropped to 147 by Sat. So my plan was to be 145 this Sat so I lost 2 solid pds this week. Dangit!

My cheat day won't be until Super Bowl Sunday now as well and I think I'll just make it a cheat evening, instead of the afternoon as well. I'd really like to make some overall weekly progress! I haven't hit the gym very hard thus far this week due to work commitments and then 2 hours in the dentist chair yesterday evening. But that will change the next few days!

My boyfriend is doing this with me and has been eating great, working out hard, and taking supplements, etc. He's lost 15 pds in the last couple of weeks. And it's not because he has a lot to lose. He's 6' 4" and now is weighing in at 216. I'm soooo envious. But good for him. It's nice to have a partner who is so supportive AND inspirational.
  • Do any of you subscribe to the newsletter or read the "Your Lighter Side" blog? She posted her 7 game safe recipes (low carb).. and want to try the pizza and the nachos! Anyways, here is the link:

http://yourlighterside.com/2014/01/7...e-day-recipes/
  • Wow Pamela she has some great recipes for Super Bowl Sunday! I think I'm going to at least make and bring the "breadsticks" even though that is to be my cheat evening.

And maybe even make them on other days too. I may try and decrease the calorie count by using a low fat cheese and skipping the pepperoni.

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Good morning Everyone! I'm still at 172 today. It looks like I am going to end this month where I started! Oddly enough, I feel lighter today. I'm don't feel bloated, the waistband on my jeans aren't cutting into me, my rings aren't tight, etc. I bought probiotics yesterday. That could be why I'm not feeling bloated, although I'm not sure they work that quickly. I'm more comfortable though! As for the scale, well, whatcha gonna do? Lol! I guess if it doesn't move in another week, I'll change my ticker and just settle in here for a while! I thought about changing the diet somehow to get the scale moving again, but you know, the reason I picked this diet is because I like it, it suits me, and I feel I can live with it long-term, and so I don't think I will change it. Either I will keep losing or I won't. I used to weigh 216 lbs, wearing XL shirts and size 18 jeans. I'm pretty happy wearing large shirts and size 10 jeans at 172 lbs! I hope to lose more, of course. I'd like to get out of the overweight range, and since I went down to 167.5 this month, I do think I will lose some more. However, if I don't, I have no complaints!

Week 28:
    1/25: 171 Cheat Day
    1/26: 173.5
    1/27: 173
    1/28: 171.5
    1/29: 172
    1/30: 172
    1/31:

Today's Meals:
    Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
    Lunch: cottage cheese, black olives, Mio water
    Snack: a handful of almonds, Diet Dr. Pepper
    Dinner: Ham, steamed broccoli, Mio water, a teapot of green tea

Rennie, congrats on the drop! I'm so sorry that TOM has hit you up twice this month. Been there, done that, not fun! The probiotics I was on was a Kroger brand, called Probiotics 4x. This time I bought Phillips Colon Health. It was on sale and cheaper than the Kroger brand!

Pamela, thanks for the link! I clicked on her low-carb recipes tab and there were lots of good recipes!

Missy, woohoo being 2.2 lbs down! As for going around in circles, if I remember correctly, you said you had a really big cheat day and then you didn't have good diet days on Sunday or Monday. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I assume it means they weren't completely on-plan. But since then, you have lost over 2 lbs so I think that's great! How nice that your boyfriend is doing this with you! My hubby isn't really doing this but he is trying to cut back on carbs. Somehow that still means there are lots of cookies and such in the house, and he's lost 10 lbs this month!

Steph, yay on the 1.5 lbs lost! That's great! I'm sorry to hear your Fitbit Flex is a total loss, but I am glad your dog did not swallow it!

TwoTots, way to go on being a lb away from ticker weight! I hope you get there by Saturday!

Joe, just hang in there! Ups and downs are normal!
  • By the way, Rennie, no, I never get tired of hearing you tell me about how things are going and what you're feeling day to day, lol! The way I figure it, we all go through this stuff, and we can all lean on and learn from each other, and that's a great thing!
  • Yes, I want to make the Deep Dish Bacon Extravaganza Pizza with Chicken/Cheese Crust really bad.. sounds sooooo good! And the cheesecake.. however, I could just have cheesecake on my cheat day.. so..

Also.. confused.. I'm not really doing anything on Sunday, Martin will take the girls with him to his families super bowl party, this gives me one day without everyone, so it's good.. but I don't know if I want to take my cheat day Saturday or Sunday.. mostly likely Martin will bring home some goodies.. so I'll be tempted... what should I do?

My Meals Wednesday 1/29/14:

B - Eggs with Turkey Sausage, Coffee with SF Creamer
    S - None
    L - Atkins Crustless Chicken pot pie
    S - Nuts
    D - Spicy Ground Beef and Beans with cheese
    S - none

Water / Tea - approx 32 oz

Pamela
  • Pamela, I think I'd play it on the safe side and take it on Sunday. I'm doing mine on Saturday as usual but that's because we aren't celebrating the SuperBowl in any way, so there won't be any temptations. But if you think Martin is bringing home some treats from his family's SuperBowl party, I'd spend my alone time on Sunday curled up with a good book or watching tv while eating the cheat day foods I want, and then when he and the kids got home, I wouldn't have to worry because whatever treats they brought with them, I'd be able to eat! So my vote is Sunday!
  • Good advice Jacqui, thats what im going to do, i am going to check the libary for the brain grain ( i thnk it is called) maybe there is something to this wheat hysteria.

Rennie, i am restricting my calories by 500ish, listened to what my body was telling me, if i need to eat, need water..... Rennie take a gander over at whole30 page, i was thinking of that, but i was and am not interested in going that strick (need quick easy carbs like legumes), the whole 30 is basicly 4-hour body, with legumes, minus fruit, why i mention this look in there forum's and thewhole 30 for ahtletes, post work out meal's..... i find the whole "whole" thing somewhat interesting, but not interesting enough to shell out top dollar.

when I dropped from 230 to 175-180 i was more in the 200 -300 restricted, i did my 200-300 calories at 9, noon 3 = 600-900, (whiile at work) then that left 700-1000 for dinner (big salad) evening snack, this time each meal was in the 200-300 range, and skipped if i was feeling good

Week 5
    1/29 ~ 164.8
    1/30 ~ 164.4
    1/31 ~
    2/01 ~
    2/02 ~ super bowl, super cheat day!
  • I vote for Pamela's cheat day to be Sunday too! You can enjoy your cheat foods alone, and then the treats they bring back.

Jacqui you have made great strides in your weight loss! I hear everyone plateaus, especially when you get close to goal weight. At least you feel good!

I guess my weight posting was confusing. Here's my progression for the last several days and why I seem to be going around in circles.

Wed (Jan 22) - 150pds
    Thur - 148.8
    Fri - 147.8
    Sat - 147.8 (cheat day)
    Sun - 151.2 in morning (but cheat day #2!)
    Mon - dieted, but afraid to get on scale
    Tues - 152.2
    Wed - 150.2
    Thur - 149.8 (more than last Thur!)

Hence the reason why I think I'm switching to just one cheat meal a week. Buckling down now. I can do this!
  • Steph good job on the 1.5 down

Thanks Missy I had already cut out starchy carbs so I probably won't get the headaches. But I don't know since my carbs today were substantially lower than they have been this month. I thought I would be hungry today and so far I'm not and I haven't had dinner yet. I decided I'm gonna have tilapia instead of my planned meal and I added 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal to my smoothie so 25g of carbs for the day, not bad Oh and sodium today 1199 Missy yes you can do this and you are

Pamela I agree with everyone else Sunday would be a great day. But won't they come home late? Will it be too late to eat goodies then? Just a thought I have to check out that link

Thanks Jacqui and you know that you can lose more. ... don't get comfortable where you are I did that in 2010 and it was really not a good decision. I'm kicking myself for it now :kick:

Thanks for the response Gary are you speaking of the 30 something threads? or the book? I surely don't want to go anymore stricter with my way of eating than I am. Oh good job on the .4 down You are still on the move

I truly thank you Jacqui and TwoTots for starting the thread. You know it makes me wonder why so many people that started with you didn't stay? This definitely works and it's not hard at all. I think this is the best kind of (kinda diet) I've ever been on and it is one that I can live with

I think my present to myself will be a fitbit. Maybe by the time I reach 160 I just may be able to afford it . A few former 3FCers on FB use it and love it also. I'm gonna continue this way of eating when the consecration is over with the added light cheat day. I really like the way I feel and I like the way I'm starting to look.

01/29 ~ 169.0 (-0.4)
    01/30 ~ 168.8 (-0.2) TOM
    01/31 ~
    02/01 ~
    02/02 ~ <--- last day of Consecration
    02/03 ~
    02/04 ~

total loss for the week
  • Pamela- I agree with everyone else. Make Sunday your Cheat Day. However, make it a REAL TREAT DAY! Since everyone's gone, make it a special day for you! Read a book, take a long bath, do that scrapbook or art project that you've been meaning to do, or afraid to try- hey, no one's home so who will know! Do whatever YOU want! Days like those are a blessing and meant to be enjoyed, most especially when you have a family and they are few and far between. Take it from someone who has faced "end of days" - you can always do more cleaning, another load of laundry or more dishes. Do something, preferably a whole day of somethings for you! And that will be the best Cheat/treat day! Have a few cheat treats along the way, very special cheat treats that you normally wouldn't have. Not a lot, just small bites or tastes. Make it a Taste of Indulgence Day. Plan it like you would a Super Bowl party for others, but this is a Super You Party! Then if your family brings you special treats later that night, you can continue the indulgence with a few bites without too much right before bed, (freeze the rest for next Cheat Day!), but if they don't get a chance to bring much, or it's too late, then you will still have had a great YOU day with your own indulgences, food and otherwise.

Just an idea.
  • And yes Rennie, I recommend getting a fitbit. I started with the little smiley one that clips to your waistband, but kept forgetting to take it off and switching it to my comfy clothes after work. It went through the washer many times still clipped to my work clothes. . However, I didn't get a very accurate reading because I didn't have it on the whole day, so I switched to a fitbit flex last January, buying it with birthday money, and have loved it the whole year. It's like a bracelet that I would leave on all the time, except when charging, and it tAlks to my phone and computer. Love it! It really has inspired me to walk more steps when I haven't made my 10,000 steps. But they are spendy. (Dang dog! Good thing he's cute!) I think I'll get the fitbit force next, which is more $, but I haven't spent my b-day money this year yet, so will use that. The force is like the flex in that it is a bracelet, which I prefer, but it also has a watch and counts stairs. We have a lot of stairs in our house! I want credit for those! That're harder than regular steps!!!