The Slow Carb Diet (Thread 2)

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • TwoTots I haven't exercised this week either. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things soon

McSurf, that's great Hope things go well with the condo. Breakfast is a good meal for low carb, eggs and meal Enjoy! There are guys on this forum but they haven't checked in lately. We still have all of our lady conversations, they don't mind (at least they don't comment)

I got up to .8 down weighing in at 169.8, but the snack monster got to me and I ate frosted flakes. I thought for sure being home I'd do better but I didn't. I had two cups of coffee ... well I'll just do my horrible menu for the day thus far ...

B ~ eggs, with ham and cheese, a small thin cinnamon pancake w/ s/f syrup
    L ~ dry frosted flakes, one cheddar biscuit
    D ~ oven baked barbecue chicken and turnip greens
  • Hi Peeps!
    I lost 3.4 lbs at WW this week! Yeah!!!!! Actually it was for 2 weeks since I didn't go last week. Was my 1st miss, but had to take hubby to pick up his mega truck, and when we finally got home, we would have been really late... plus it was the coldest day of the year, around -25 degrees and I felt like I was dying from frostbite!!!! Literally frozen toes, fingers and nose! I was wearing my hubby's coat OVER my coat, 2 sweaters, a ridiculous fluffy hat/scarf combo with built in mittens, (yeah, really!), and I looked like the biggest Stay-puff Marshmellow Man you ever saw!!!! But So Cal Girl lived through it! (Maybe the secret to weight loss is FREEZING!!!!! I don't recommend it.)

Rennie/Pamela- Atkins, as you know, is low carb, but not necessarily low cal. You lose weight but I don't know how healthy it is. Being a vegetarian for so long, I tried it when others said I would lose big time, but found it was too much meat for me and I didn't feel good. (But others love it!) South Beach is healthier because you eat a more balanced diet, but you lose weight slower. My brother did great on it! Extreme hi protein/low carb plans like IP should be medically monitored because you are eating at such a deficit that it could be dangerous, but you do lose fastest. (But at what costs?) And it's hard long term, and many say you gain easily after going back to regular eating.

It is said that the Mediterranean diet is the best for health, and like SB and WW, more well rounded in veggies, lean meat, etc, and easier in the long haul.

(Where is Gary with the stats!)

I think like stated in the beginning here, just find what works for you and tweak it here and there - try to make your own diet regimen. And then get support here. No one here cares how you do it, they just want to help you along the way.

For me- I've tried them all and know what I SHOULD eat! But the trick is to keep doing what you know you should. So, I'm just trying to eat around 80% healthy with an emphasis on lower/better carbs and higher protein, more veggies, some fruit, (I will have to eat more fruits in summer - love them), and a cheat meal once or twice a week, and maybe a cheat snack or 2, but not a full all out cheat day or really bad cheat meals.

Not a real plan I guess, but it seems to be working for me, albeit slower and steadier. But as I said, different plans work for different people. I knew someone who had great long term success just by starting a new diet every week. She got bored easily. But in doing so kept losing weight in the forefront of her mind, her excitement up, and probably kept her metabolism guessing!

Whatever works for you!
  • (heavy sigh)... I do love Florida... oceans... and all things sunny...

Good luck McSurf
  • Congrats Sunlover 3.4lbs lbs fantastic!! Well done. My scale on the other hand is up 2! Bummer. I like your post about finding what works. I'm trying low carb but my I think my calorie take is too much. Sunlover are you following the WW points system but trying to keep your eating slowcarb? Are you racking up your points using lower carb foods? I'm going to try a new approach. Low carb and be mindful of calories, no more nut snacks or PB in the evenings. It's hard (for me) to measure peanut butter from a jar. Cheat day is tomorrow so I will skip it. Todays food

BF: protein shake, choc protein, chia seeds, spinach coffee, stevia water.
    snack: protein shake
    Lunch: 4 chicken legs with salad (may have one of these legs for a snack)
    Dinner: 1 beef burger with turnip
    snack: protein bar,
    green tea, green tea, green tea (my new mantra) water water water.
    good luck everyone, Happy Valentines day.
  • HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE

Thanks Steph again for the pep talk on the 3.4lbs GONE I find that when I do low carb my calories are low and I do get full quicker on all protein so I can't eat 1300 calories of meat. When I add some carby stuff in the calories add up quickly but I feel like I haven't done as well. I try to keep it low carb for my blood sugar. What I would like nice is if I had a menu compiled of things that I like between 50 to 100 carbs at 1330 calories a day. I have yet to find that balance

TwoTots your meals for the day look good

Jacqui, how are you?

down .8 today weighing in at 169 and my carbs were really high at 207 for the day ... interesting

Have a great day everyone, stay warm and safe
  • well this evening was an official cheat. I had two cupcakes and two cookies (Valentine's Day treats) and dinner with the family that consisted of mashed potatoes and peas

B ~ carb master yogurt, cheddar biscuit
    L ~ barbecued chicken, shrimp, turnip greens with turnips
    S ~ 2 cupcakes, 2 cookies
    D ~ mashed potatoes, peas, 1/3lb burger with gravy

calories 2843 carbs 247 ... expecting a gain for sure tomorrow

Hope you all had a great day today and enjoyed your Valentine's
  • Tonight, I held my own....did have some Valentine Chocolate, but I believe it was fit for the occasion! Had a healthy breakfast date with hubby, a very light lunch and then a wonderful Dinner at church tonight with 75 happy people. You see, my hubby & I won a door prize, a large Hersey chocolate kiss and a coffee mug with an adorable stuffed owl! Now you know why "the chocolate"!

As you can see, I am a night owl!

Blessings!
  • Happy Saturday

Aw McSurf, I love romance Our church function was cancelled due to the weather. But I still enjoyed an evening with my husband and our youngest. My husband works second shift. When I get home he's gone and when he gets home I'm sleep. He had taken off for the function and I didn't want to go out in the ice I use to be a night owl ... it's quite then

Jacqui you have me worried, is everything ok?

Missy, Pamela, Gary, dt and Joe ... hope all is well.

well my gain was only .6 so back on track today. Calories and carbs will be lower and hopefully totally on point.
  • Wondering how everyone is doing? Hope you are all ok! So, i didn't skip cheat day, indulged today and enjoyed it. Back on a different track tomorrow. I'm going back to basics myself and am going to follow a low carb low calorie plan. I need to kick start this weightloss. I will follow an IP type of food plan for a while. Then introduce some nuts, beans, hummus, avocados, cottage chess back in a couple of weeks. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
  • TwoTots, I'm wondering how they are doing also. Hope all is well with them Glad you enjoyed your cheat day ... I enjoyed mine yesterday also
  • Hi all, hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's day! I did just ok. We had Mexican food and I ordered beef fajitas with corn tortillas, which I had 2, but I REALLY LOVE flour tortillas and can eat a bunch of them, so didn't get those. Had no rice and only a little retried beans. Also had a few chips with salsa, which I love, love, LOVE!!!! (So bad! But I didn't have many.) But my biggest cheat was the margaritas, of which I had 2! So wonderful, but didn't eat lunch so was hoping the calories would balance out a little better. ( I know, not a great diet plan but it was a holiday.) My daughter made chocolate mousse with strawberries for dessert which I had a little of but was too stuffed to endulge in too much. Had some strawberries this morning though! Yumm!!! Although still a little early in the season for them to be really good, at least up in the frozen north!

Twotots- no, I don't follow the WW point system, or any real plan. I go to WW mostly for my daughter, but also because the weekly weigh-in keeps me accountable and on somewhat of a plan. I start panicking when I have only 4 days until weigh-in, then 3, then 2, and then that day I am REALLY OP, only 1 day until weigh-in! I made laminated countdown cards for my fridge and pantry with the days until weigh-in count down which also have pictures of what I should be doing that day, like the weekend has pictures of chopping veggies and cooking good foods, Monday exercising, Tuesday ( the night before weigh-in!) has a scale to remind me of what I eat because the next day is weigh-in!!!

As far as a plan, I don't count calories or carbs (or pints), I just try in general to eat low carbs/good carbs and low calories most of the time. I try for 80% OP. When I have carbs, I try for at least good carbs and will have some beans, legumes and whole grains, but not much because I know I will gain weight if I eat too much, do try to stick to more meat and veggies. I also love fruit, but eat more of that in summer than winter. What I have been loving lately are those mini red, orange and yellow peppers which you can just eat like fruit and are sweet and delicious enough without any dip! They have carbs but I figure they are so healthy that they must be good carbs. Carrots and hummus are also delicious, as well a celery sticks with that yogurt spinach artichoke dip from Costco. So yummy!!!!

So basically just trying to eat low or good carbs + low cal 80% of the time. Then I'll have a somewhat cheat meal a few days a week, (like Wed night after WW and Fri night as a reward for getting through the work week!), but not all out cheat days because they make me gain too much plus seem to spur more cravings. I know they work for many, but for me, I have to cheat smaller to keep losing and not get off track. And the official weekly WW weigh in keeps me in line. If not for that, I'd cheat more telling myself that I'll just do better tomorrow. But tomorrow leads to another tomorrow... and so on... and so on...

I hate having to pay to have someone weigh me as a way to stay OP, but it does seem to keep me in line. Silly, huh? But whatever works!
  • Holding my own, weight wise. Guess the chocolate wasn't a big deal!

Yes, my hubby and I are the romantic type! We have been married 32 years! My first husband died from an accident when I was 33 yrs and we had a 9 yr old little girl. Perhaps that is the reason I so appreciate my guy and want him to know how much I love him! Time can be too short and I don't want to miss all the great things now and ahead for us! Together we raised his two and mine! Now we have 8 grandchildren to enjoy and pray over!

Hope you all have a good Valentine's Day!

Blessings!
  • Good morning everyone. Sunlover thank you for your answer, it sounds like you have a great thing going. Well done. i too love frozen margritas but usually I drink them when it's a big special night out with girlfriends and we don't stop at 2!!! I'm mixing my plan up again. I'm eating foods that have too many triggers for me so I'm going to try an IP plan again. I said I wouldn't do it again, its so restrictive but really I had great results following it. I just need to do the phases properly, then introduce more slow carb food into my diet. I'm always trying! I'm hoping something sticks. That's a very sweet post MCSurf. Have a lovely Sunday all.
  • hi everyone!

i am starting the modified slow carb diet today. i say modified because i have not read the book, but i have read parts of this thread and the previous thread and will probably do the diet like Jacqui_D.

i just found out about slow carb yesterday, by stumbling across this thread while doing some kind of web search.

i have done Atkins in the past. i never ate beans while doing Atkins so adding beans to slow carb scares me. but i know that Atkins works for weight loss. it also helps me be able to mentally focus better on my computer work.

i have been doing the Metablosim Miracle Diet and it is fantastic for stabilizing my blood sugar. i have reactive hypoglycemia and the Metabolism Miracle gives me so much physical energy and motivation. but it does not work as well for me for mental focus as Atkins.

the downfall of the metabolism miracle is that you are supposed to eat a small amount of carbs at each meal, which is hard to do when I love carbs so much. so it is easier for me to have no carbs or pig out...which is why slow carb looks great to me.

another diet that i have tried and works is the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. this diet is great of you want to lose very slow or maintain your weight because you can have a cheat day every day...but the loss is very slow and if you mess up you can gain weight easily. so i will be going back to CAD after i lose a bunch of weight on slow carb.

so today is my first day. i has 2 sausages for breakfast. only 11 grams of protein and i feel full.

i will set up my weight loss thingie at the bottom later today. I would like to lose 23lbs before i go back to Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.

I actually even do a modified Carbohydrate Addict +Metabolism Miracle method to maintain, but i'll get in to that later. it is is not good for loss, only maintenance and if you mess up you gain...which is why i want to do slow carb for a while
  • Belief! It's good to have you join us! We look forward to seeing your progress!

Hi All! I'm sorry I haven't been on in the last few days! I have been very busy and haven't been online at all. I am staying on plan though. I've continued to weigh 170 each morning, except today (the day after cheat day). I weigh 172.5 today. TOM is visiting...kinda...so I imagine that's why my weight is staying where it is. Believe it or not, I have still not gotten completely rid of this cold, but it is much better!