Ideal Protein Newcomers introduce yourself here!

You're on Page 19 of 34
Go to
  • Hi I'm new to IP. Just started yesterday. I'm afraid of getting the headaches. As I started this diet I also went off caffeine. I don't drink coffee so I had to give up my coke a day habit. I have read this forum before I started and knew I would be encouraged through all of you.
    Thank you
    Stacey
  • Had my initial consult today. This is my first "formal" weight loss attempt. Tried to do it on my own in the past via South Beach - was somewhat successful, but the plateaus were interminable and I inevitably back slid. After the year from **** last year (my mom died, I hurt my hip, then ended up getting the flu which turned into pneumonia!), I finally decided that THIS would be the year I "get back on the horse", but I tell ya, post age 50, it's not any easier! So I decided that a little extra motivation and incentive might be the kick I need to get myself in gear. Found Ideal Protein on a google search, researched it a bit and decided to pull the trigger, even tho the idea of pre-packaged meals has always been an anathema to me in the past. My goal is to get down to 145 - my DREAM goal would be to make it to 135! But I'm trying to be realist about this, so I don't expect miracles. (It would be nice to have at least made some headway by my birthday at the end of March, however). I DO expect lots of motivation, accountability and some friendly encouragement from this site. Hopefully we'll all reach our goals and be able to maintain. Here's to a new US in 2014! Now... I'm off to find a list of essential items I should buy at my first diet grocery store visit!
  • Hi guys! I am on Day 12 of the Ideal Program and have already been lurking and gathering invaluable insight and recipes from everyone! Thanks so much for what you do here! I lost 4.8 pounds my first week and am looking forward to my next weigh in. I tend to weigh in the 150's with occasional drops into the 140's and occasional highs in the 160's, but last year I really let myself go and hit 180.6 according to the IP clinic's scale! My clothes don't fit and the photos from Christmas were tough to look at. I'm in this to get all that gained weight off and some of the other extra I don't like to carry around. Week 1 was pretty tough, but week 2 has already gotten better. Have had a couple possibly odd experiences already (TOM arrived super early?) . Am a little sick of constantly preparing and eating all these veggies, but thankful I am learning so much about how to eat them and nourishing my body so well. I have always been a sporadic eater, I travel often for work, and there are days of Red Bull Zero and almost no food until I get a Taco Bell drive thru which is scarfed down and days off eating out breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I appreciate that I am being forced to plan and prepare and eat more of the food I know is good for me. I have TWO trips to Mexico next month- 1 for work and 1 for a wedding, and I am really hoping to get some weight off in time and Will Power of steel to get through them both.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!
  • to all the new people! And congrats on starting your journey.

This site is great for motivation, ideas, tips, recipes, etc. The people here are so generous with their knowledge and ideas!

Be sure to read the links in the first post of the daily chat - so much good information.

Good luck to everyone - if you stick with it, you will see amazing results on IP!
  • What about excercise? I know that it isnt a must on IP but what would anyone recommend, Im next in my second week. I dont want to jinx my results
  • Quote: I just wanted to say hello all! I am a total newbie! I tried IP last year for about one month. I had great results but couldn't afford it and ultimately gained back my losses. I have decided this is the year for change. I am in a program waiting to do a gastric sleeve. However, I really don't want that. I just want to be healthy. So I decided to give the diet track an earnest effort and put the surgery on hold. After all, gastric surgery is imposing VLCD - I can do that with out stitches. I have a long way to go, but right now I am looking at the first 20 pounds. One of the biggest challenges with this program is that I have celiacs disease so most of the soups are off limits - I am trying to figure out ways to jazz up the ones I can have.

I was wanting to know if any of you had used other products other than IP products as they are really expensive for a one income family person. If so, what is comparable?

Also, because I have knee problems, what are some exercise regimens that have worked for others with similar conditions?

Thanks Everyone in advance. I am looking forward to participating on this board and can't wait to lose some pounds!
    Hi, just wanted to let you know that i was waiting for bariatric surgery too and although i'm doing a reboot to lose 5lbs i gained (1½ year in maintenance) plus another 10, i was able to lose 140lbs in 10 months and avoided surgery.

Hope this helps
  • Quote: What about excercise? I know that it isnt a must on IP but what would anyone recommend, Im next in my second week. I dont want to jinx my results
    Your coach probably told you to wait until you are solidly in ketosis (3-4 weeks) before doing any exercise you weren't already doing.
    Then you can do light-moderate activities such as walking, strength training/toning, yoga, etc.
    The plan was designed for quick weight loss and working out can actually slow the scale a tad but overall more activity is better for our bodies. For now, find some extra things to do around the house. What needs organizing/cleaning?
  • I am a total newbie, this is day 11 for me. I have gone thru the headaches etc, but I am wondering if its normal to cycle thru bouts of diarrhea and constipation with bloat. Am I doing something incorrectly? I lost 5.8 pounds in the first week, but don't seem to be loosing at all this week. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oops I forgot, should I be using keto sticks, to check for ketones?
  • Hi Annie and congrats on getting through the first few days!

I cycled through the Big C and diarrhea the first month or so, so I think it's pretty normal. Depending on what your diet was like before IP it can take awhile to adjust. Are you getting all your oil, salt and water in?

The general thought around here is that keto sticks are pretty useless. They aren't terribly accurate and as your body gets more efficient at burning ketones they may not show up in your urine. Plus if you're getting all your water in your urine may be diluted and they wouldn't show up. If you are following the plan and sticking to what's on the sheet you will be in ketosis.

As far as feeling you aren't losing this week - don't get stressed! Stress is not good for weight loss. If you are weighing daily you might want to stop and just use your weekly weigh-in. TOM, fluid retention, etc., etc. can all affect the scale. I know I can go 4 or 5 days at the exact same weight or up a pound and then drop 3-4 lbs seemingly overnight. You'll probably find your body has a rhythm with it's losses (1 or 2 slow scale weeks and then a big week).

Just hang in there - if you stay 100% on plan you will lose weight!
  • Thanks for the input. I am having a difficult time with getting all the water in everyday. But I'm trying! I am checking almost everyday, I guess because it seems to easy to follow. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the support.
  • Weigh in #3 today. Down 3.8 lbs and 3.5 inches. Total weight loss of 12.8 lbs and 10.5 inches. Super super pumped about this! I get to have my 10lb reward - A massage! I deserve it ! I'm also loving all the new recipes I've been trying. Keep up all the good work IP Peeps!!!!
  • Day One of the Next Phase of My Life. Had my initial consult on Thursday and starting my lifestyle change today, 01/25. A little nervous because I travel a lot for work and cannot do my next weigh-in until my 9th day, and I am worried I will run out of food. The clinic accidentally shorted me a box of soup. My plan for week one is to have 4 IP per day, and up to one extra, if needed. Since I leave at 5 a.m. Monday and don't get back until late Friday evening, I can't pick up another box. So I will have to be extremely disciplined with what I have and not use the 5th IP at all in order to make it through the following Monday. I am excited to make this necessary change in my life and look to the rest of you for encouragement and support. Let the change begin.
  • Traveling chick
    Welcome!
    EAS carb control ready-to-drink have a similar nutritional profile to IP Products and are readily available anywhere (walgreens, cvs, walmart, target, etc). If you pick up two 4-packs you'll ensure you don't run out of product. Alternatively, call your clinic. Most have Saturday hours so they can correct their error

Here is a great thread with helpful travel hints
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...d-warrior.html
  • 2 weeks in ...
    Hi, i used this forum to decide to try IP and so far it's been great. I'm getting mixed information on the packets. My coach says it's fine to add a blu-pom daily without it counting towards the 3 packets. Another coach where I picked up some food said no way. I'm struggling to maintain hydration despite 3 litres a day so i'm wondering what people's experience with the extra packet is?
    Otherwise, I love how i feel with energy and focus and i'm never snacky anymore
  • Quote: Hi, i used this forum to decide to try IP and so far it's been great. I'm getting mixed information on the packets. My coach says it's fine to add a blu-pom daily without it counting towards the 3 packets. Another coach where I picked up some food said no way. I'm struggling to maintain hydration despite 3 litres a day so i'm wondering what people's experience with the extra packet is?
    Otherwise, I love how i feel with energy and focus and i'm never snacky anymore
    It is very interesting that there seems to be "house rules" by some coaches. Go with your own coach.

So, the blu/Pom and the raspberry jello are both collagen proteins (incomplete proteins)

So

Either use them as an extra packet on exercise days (or extra as you're acclimating to the IP plan) OR only use one of them every few days as one of your unrestricted pks. My coach always told me it could be an extra when I was needing a boost.

Also: you're not struggling to maintain hydration so much as your body is adjusting to Ketosis which can cause an incredible thirst!