What's for lunch?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am horrible with trying new things (or even remembering to eat) at lunch time. It's a very busy time in our household as I'm coming home from work, hubby is heading to work, son is working on schooling, and daughter is getting ready for her nap. I need some inspiration on what to eat. So, what did you have for lunch?
  • This week--I pre-made salads for the week and use lime juice for dressing. I cut the lime in half and throw it in the container. I then squeeze it when I eat the salad. I add half a can of black beans. For dessert, I have a piece of fruit.
  • I have lettuce chicken wraps this week. :] oh with sweet potato fries.
  • Tomorrow I am having a tiny baked chicken cutlet and tons of broccoli left over from tonight's dinner.
  • Those all sound yummy!
    seaurchin--I never thought of using a lime as the dressing. I think I'm going to have to give that a shot.
  • I'm queen of making big batches on Sunday and freezing for the week for homemade frozen meals. My favorites are soups, rice/chicken/vegetable and salsa as well as salads with leftovers on them (salads I do not freeze)
  • Smoked salmon. Sardines.
  • Quote: I'm queen of making big batches on Sunday and freezing for the week for homemade frozen meals. My favorites are soups, rice/chicken/vegetable and salsa as well as salads with leftovers on them (salads I do not freeze)
    Ditto! A cup of carrot peanut soup for breakfast, and a cup of spicy tomato blue cheese soup for lunch!
  • Munchy--I would love your carrot peanut soup recipe if you are willing to share. It sounds very yummy!

I guess I need to sit down on the weekends and figure out what I want to eat for lunch throughout the week. This week I've been able to munch on some black bean and corn salad that we made over the weekend, and some hummus and veggies. If I made up lunch portions and froze them, maybe I could get hubby to start them in the toaster oven before I get home (don't have a microwave).
  • Quote: Munchy--I would love your carrot peanut soup recipe if you are willing to share. It sounds very yummy!

I guess I need to sit down on the weekends and figure out what I want to eat for lunch throughout the week. This week I've been able to munch on some black bean and corn salad that we made over the weekend, and some hummus and veggies. If I made up lunch portions and froze them, maybe I could get hubby to start them in the toaster oven before I get home (don't have a microwave).
    It's one of the original moosewood cookbook recipes and it's really simple. I double batch it and freeze in 1 cup containers so I can grab and go for work. It freezes BEAUTIFULLY! This is from memory, so I hope it's thorough enough.

Ingredients:
    1 chopped large onion
    2 lbs roughly chopped carrots (I use whole baby carrots)
    3-4 cloves minced garlic
    1/4 cup natural peanut butter
    1/4t cayenne pepper
    1 quart broth or stock (any light flavored - vegetable, chicken, etc)

Method:
    Saute onion and carrots until they start to get a little bit of color, add minced garlic and cook for a few minutes. Stir in peanut butter and cayenne, then add broth. Cover and simmer until carrots are very tender (around 20 mins). Puree and season with salt and pepper to taste.

I calculated years ago that one cup is 159 calories, but it could be a smidgen off. I should probably re-calculate to make sure!
  • Had healthy choice country veggie soup and 2 string cheese. And water
  • A can of tuna mixed with a tablespoon of MW light on two pieces of Wasa crispbread. In addition, 14 oven baked fries.
  • I'm a big fan of whatever we ate the night before is now lunch I always have a tin of soup in my desk for emergencies, and some crackers.

I've been trying out "packet cooking" haha it's so fun! tin foil packets with a chicken breast, few slices of a potato, some salsa and some corn - I love it!! and the next day I have the salsa-y chicken in a pita with veg, awesome
  • I premake my salads and soups as well. Instead of salad dressing, I use fresh chopped salsa. It's REALLY good..I put green onion, grilled chicken on my salads, it adds some flavor.
  • salaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!! NomNomNomNomNomNomNomNomNomNom
    and grapes for a snack (NomNom)