Question about calories

• I maintain at about 1100-1200 clean, low-ish carb calories and have for the last 10+ years of my life (I'm petite) with few exceptions, of course. When I'm consistently at 1000, I lose, but I rarely veer far above 1200 and I just get a little stricter if I feel like the 5lb cushion is getting too far or if I want to look especially good for an event.

When I was pregnant last time, I gained about 80lbs. I ate closer to a "normal amount" and the weight just piled on. As a good example, a 1600 diet as recommended by a nutritionist made me gain 15lbs within about two months. For me, that is a lot of food and weight.

I am looking at having another baby in the near future, but I'm not sure if I should be eating around 1500 (1200 maintenance + 300 for baby) or much higher than that since my maintenance numbers are so low.

I don't trust my hunger cues and would feel much more comfortable with a daily plan/goal. I definitely don't want a repeat of my last pregnancy. It took me a full year to take that weight off! I fear being chastised by doctors for unnecessary weight gain, but I also don't want to be so uncomfortable.

Any advice?
  • I don't know. I always ate to hunger when pregnant. I always gain a fair amount, and it typically takes me a little more than a year to lose it, whether I try hard or not.
  • I wish I could help...I ate to hunger for 3 pregnancies, and gained a LOT of weight for each one..the numbers are in my siggy...And it takes me about a year to lose it...I don't know your height, but as ling as you are a healthy weight now and not underweight, I would imagine you could try eating 1500 cals a day and track your weight gain..if you are not gaining at a healthy weight, then increase your cals...Good luck, after vomiting nonstop for the first trimester (where I always have a weight loss) I cannot stop eating for the next 2 trimesters...I actually gained all that weight in olnly 6 months! I cannot stick to restricted cals when prego, its like tourture lol
  • Quote: I wish I could help...I ate to hunger for 3 pregnancies, and gained a LOT of weight for each one..the numbers are in my siggy...And it takes me about a year to lose it...I don't know your height, but as ling as you are a healthy weight now and not underweight, I would imagine you could try eating 1500 cals a day and track your weight gain..if you are not gaining at a healthy weight, then increase your cals...Good luck, after vomiting nonstop for the first trimester (where I always have a weight loss) I cannot stop eating for the next 2 trimesters...I actually gained all that weight in olnly 6 months! I cannot stick to restricted cals when prego, its like tourture lol
    Right now I don't have to worry so much...unless I'm pregnant and don't know it

My last pregnancy relied too much on hunger (which I don't trust) and it's NOT going to happen again. The idea having a child soon has been coming up so often lately, that it's just been on the forefront of our conversations and our minds. I really didn't expect to want another one EVER, and especially because pregnancy was such a sad, emotional, and uncomfortable time for me.