Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

You're on Page 19 of 34
Go to
  • wvuchick That is how I feel; "something to look forward to". I am happy to hear that fasting becomes easier.

nonameslob Congrats on your 10 month mark! This seems to be a very easy way to live. Woot on your gym going. That is fantastic. -- I started going late March 2013... I have been pretty good about it. A few bouts of laziness but overall I have done well. -- Are you showing muscle definition?

Yogini99 Glad you had a nice vacation.

Zumbachica Get that water in! Keeps you full on fast days.

lin43 I like the flexibility that this plan gives us. I am not a big bfast eater (even though lately I have had bfast and skipped lunch on my fast days). I would be perfectly happy eating just big lunch, one meal per day.

Melissa I watch carbs too, but not as closely as I did before. I am allowing myself to have all the fruit I want...which isn't much because I am not a big fruit eater. But if I feel like having an apple or a fruit smoothie, I go for it. -- I avoid all grain carbs though. Occasionally I have quinoa or a small serving of rice. I can not eat pasta anyways because of my celiac. But the grain carbs are just evil.

Yoyoma What is a CAD diet?

shr1nk1ngme Your plan sounds really good. You have done so well on this.
  • Thanks wvuchick! Do you live in WV? (based on your name, and the fact that you live an hour from civilization, just guessing!). I lived in Beckley (southern WV) for about a year. Really miss that wild, wonderful state.

Sum38
    Oh yum, chocolate! Good job on restraining yourself though. Congrats on the volunteer position!

No muscle definition yet, really, as I've only been doing strength training for a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to getting some arm muscles though
  • NoName- congratulations on getting into onederland! Good to know the back to back fast wasn't too bad. I will do three days this week I think to undo vacation damage. Will maybe do Wed/Th... or maybe Wed/Fri.
    Zumbachica- stick with it! It does get easier- and 700 is great for your first fast day! Drink lots of water. I love to put True Orange in mine. No cals and no artificial sweeteners in it, but tastes great and makes me want to drink more!
    WVUChick- I agree! Once you get over the feeling that you "should" be eating, it's so liberating to let it go and stop worrying about food. For me, easier than counting cals and getting obsessed.
    BBB- love the fact that you can eat a nice meal at night with your family! Agree that it makes this more workable for me too!
  • Thought this was a great read for anyone considering IF: Intermittent Fasting 101: The secret behind the hunger
  • Yogini - Welcome back! I'm glad you had a great time on vacation, we did as well.

Sum38 - Congrats on being nominated for chair of your organization. I think that it is great you volunteer your time, wish more people who could did. The world would be a better place for it.

Nonameslob - The WVU part of my name is where I went to college, but I live here too. I lived in DC for 3 years after graduation, but am glad to be back in Almost Heaven WV! We live about 1.5 hours from Beckley. It's a small world, eh? Also thanks for the link, I love reading anything IF related.

Well today has been a pretty good day fasting-wise. It's now getting closer to my window so the hunger is ratcheting up, but I'm looking forward to my break-fast of caramel sea salt rice cakes. They are pretty good.

Have a great -whatever is left of your - day everyone.
  • Officially down another pound today! Hope the trend continues!
  • I gained after DownDay -- I drank a LOT of water and it did not come out as fast as it went in, grr... and I feel bloated today. I hope today I will run to the potty alot.

Today is UpDay, I have around 1300 calories planned. I hope I won't have further gains.

I also have a light exercise day planned. I will only attend to my aerobic class tonight.
  • wvuchick I figured as much about the school Lucky you to live in such a beautiful place. Great news on the loss!

Yogini99 Thank you! Are you sticking with your plan to fast M/W/F this week?

I tried skipping breakfast yesterday (though I had an iced coffee with milk) and just had lunch and dinner on a "feast" day, which actually worked well and definitely ate fewer calories than I would have if I also ate breakfast (probably about 1600-1700 as opposed to 2000). So my plan is now looking like this:

Monday: Fast (500 cal)
    Tuesday: Lunch & Dinner only, no calorie limit
    Wednesday: Fast (500 cal)
    Thursday: Lunch & Dinner only, no calorie limit
    Friday: Fast until dinner, no calorie limit for dinner
    Saturday & Sunday: No rules!

I love my breakfast on weekends, but usually that ends up being late. We are really active on weekends so I usually eat all three meals unless for some reason it's a lazy weekend. I'll see how this change goes for a week. I think the idea of not eating breakfast during the week. One less thing to plan and I'm not really hungry, even the day after a fast, at breakfast time. Honestly, I used to get sick in the mornings as a kid when my parents made me eat breakfast before school!
  • A DownDay for me. I can't seem to do 500 calories, it always ends up at 600 calories...it is the darn coffee I have been drinking (and the cream that goes into it ), so I will go back to green tea starting tomorrow.

How much do you exercise on DownDays? -- I don't get dizzy or shaky, so I can keep up with my regular routine. Actually more I exercise, less appetite I have. -- I know some people say that exercise increases their cravings. I love working out at night; I usually have my dinner and then I go...when I get back, my appetite is zero and keeps me from snacking at night. A win-win!

I lost 1.4 pounds of water. Not back where I was on Tuesday though. I am hoping that I will be close to my Tuesday's weight tomorrow, since it is my official weigh-in day -- I have lost 3 pounds this week though, I am very happy about it.

Plan for today;
    Bfast -- 2 hard boiled eggs; coffee w/cream
    Lunch -- fast
    Dinner -- Salad w/grilled chicken
    Snacks -- fast
    Total cals 600+
  • Today gained back what I lost yesterday. I totally don't get it. Has to be water. Oh well, the pants I am wearing today I used to avoid because they were so tight are now loose. That's what really matters.
  • Realizing more and more this is what I'm switching too. My hunger clock is slowing down. I do "eat" a bit during the day, but less than 300 calories until I eat dinner. Then I eat a nice, big dinner and then I'm good for the day!

Yesterday was 178 on half and half cream at 7:30 am, 160 on Jiff peanut butter around 1 pm and then 700 for dinner (2 brats and a big helping of cauliflower with olive oil) at 6:30 pm.
  • Sum38 Since I exercise in the evenings, on down days I tend to not do a really hard workout. I do exercise after I eat my evening meal, so that helps, but I can't go as hard as usual. At most I'll do a half hour of light cardio and 15 min. of weights. I've heard people who exercise in the morning in the fasted state have a lot more energy, but I find that's not true for me come evening. Since you exercise in the evening, do you notice less energy too? I definitely agree about it helping decrease appetite!\

wvuchick Oh, the scale trickery! As long as the pants fit

berryblondeboys Amazing, isn't it? And one or two less meals to plan for throughout the day! Lose weight, gain time!

Today is the day after my fast day and again I plan to not break my fast until lunch time. I made a smoothie of fruits and veggies today. I'm interested to see how that holds me over. If I like it, it's something I'll continue to do as I definitely could use more fruits and veggies in my diet.
  • Good morning everyone!!
    NoName- I am doing three day fast this week! I did Mon, and Wed and I will fast today I think. I am traveling today for work, so it will be pretty easy to fast today. I love your plan: I don't eat breakfast anymore - it's an easy way to cut out calories! On my non fast days I just have been trying to wait as long as possible to eat- usually make it to 3:30 or 4.( I guess this is like doing Fast 5 on these days if I don't eat late).
    Sum38- Awesome that you are at 3 lbs for the week! Way to go!
    WVUChick- you are right- it's all about how your clothes fit. I don't get it, but sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the wt. loss on the scale. That's why I limit how often I weigh and focus on clothes fit more bc I get so mad
  • BBB- So awesome isn't it??? I think it's the easiest way to lose and maintain. It just takes the hassle away! And it backs off the appetite and snacking, etc.
    So glad you have found something that works for you!
  • Good Morning Happy Friday Everyone!
    Love the link you posted NoName...thanks for that!! It will be a great resource.
    I fasted back to back Wed/Thurs...and made it through. I was a bit cranky last night, but I think that was mainly sleep deprivation! It's do-able, as NoName said...if you ever need to do it. I ended up fasting three times this week. I don't think I'd want to do that every week, but nice to know I can make it through!
    Have a great day everyone