Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

You're on Page 18 of 34
Go to
  • Here it is nonameslob, thanks for telling me about this thread.

I just started 5:2 plan this week. Tuesday was my first fast day. I was supposed to fast on Thursday but ended up going out to lunch with friends (salad; so I was doing well..) and then life happened and ended up eating a ton at night...well the good thing about this plan, not all is lost; I am fasting today

I do a modified version of the 5:2; I am also watching my carbs (eating all the fruits though), I will let myself have one splurge day (which was yesterday) per week, I also count calories; 8 000 - 10 000 calories for the week is my max.

I am happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know all of you fellow IF'ers
  • I have been off my JUDDD rotations because of donating plasma. Because of my caloric load requirements to keep my levels up for plasma donation, I have come up with a weird plan (definitely not true JUDDD) but it seems to work pretty well. I am close to goal but I still have 10 pounds to go. Tell me what you think!

Sunday: UpDay
    Monday: DownDay
    Tuesday: DownDay
    Wednesday: MediumDay
    Thursday: UpDay
    Friday:MediumDay
    Saturday: UpDay
  • I realized I'm doing a modified version of this too and I'm loving it. It allows me to eat the big meal with my family at the end of the day. Last time I was more hungry at the beginning of the day (not enough fat and too many carbs for me) and by the time dinner rolled around, I was eating my smallest meal of the day.

This time, I drink coffee with half and half in the morning (178 calories) have a small lunch at noon of about 300-400 calories and that leaves the rest for a very nice sized dinner. I get FULL at dinner and it feels GREAT. Then, I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. I end up eating 1100-1200 calories that way and I almost NEVER have to restrict myself at dinner time. I eat as much as I feel hungry for. THAT works for me much better than 3 similar size meals during the day that always left me a bit hungry and never really satisfied.
  • Hey, BBB, that's close to my plan. I do coffee w/milk (usu NFPM) during the day and eat one meal 6PM - 8xPM. I also need some food rules to go along with that to lose weight (start w/salad or other fresh veggies, limit the starchy carbs) but other than that, I eat what I want and how much I want then. Do you find it very liberating after conventional dieting? I sure do.

I have been thinking that after I truly get down to where I want to be weight-wise, I might add some sort of well-defined, low carb lunch, kinda like the CAD diet. But I'll cross that bridge a bit later. I might just choose to eat out more often.
  • Quote: Hey, BBB, that's close to my plan. I do coffee w/milk (usu NFPM) during the day and eat one meal 6PM - 8xPM. I also need some food rules to go along with that to lose weight (start w/salad or other fresh veggies, limit the starchy carbs) but other than that, I eat what I want and how much I want then. Do you find it very liberating after conventional dieting? I sure do.

I have been thinking that after I truly get down to where I want to be weight-wise, I might add some sort of well-defined, low carb lunch, kinda like the CAD diet. But I'll cross that bridge a bit later. I might just choose to eat out more often.
    I still restrict the carbs. That is key for me. Like HUGE for me. So, dinner will still be very low carb, but I don't mind that actually. I LOVE green vegetables and meats with sauces, yum!

It's just nice to be able to eat a 600-700 calorie dinner. Last go around, I was eating a 400-500 calorie dinner and I always wanted more, but never felt I could take more and that was when I was eating more around 1500 calories a day!

Now I'm eating about 1200 calories a day and feel just as satisfied if not more so.

I have done 'three' diets - first was long ago with the weight watchers points. It worked, but I was always hungry and gave up most fat and sweets as they took up too many points. (lost 50 with that).

Then I did a lower carb diet and lost 90 with that. That worked, but I ate most of my calories before 2 PM - like 1000-1100. Leaving so little for the NICE meal at the end of the day. There were times I had to skip dinner because I couldn't wait until dinner to eat - I was just too hungry. I realize now it's because I was still eating too many carbs. I have upped my fat intake and dropped my carb intake even more and that has totally helped with hunger control. It is really, really nice to eat dinner wth the family and with hearty portions. Especially since that is the one meal of the day that I vary a lot day to day and it always includes the most veggies/nutrients.
  • Well returning to Fast 5 was a success. I lost 2 lbs yesterday so I'm actually 0.4 lbs less than when I left. I'm hoping the feasting has tricked my body and i will take off a few more lbs quickly. Hope you all have a great weekend.
  • Fasting today. I meant to fast Thursday, which turned out into an epic fail; then again on Friday and that was a total disaster...so I hope to do better today. Last fast day was Tuesday.

I am carrying some bloat again, last fast day I lost a ton of bloat, many pounds worth; I am hoping to drop 3-4 pounds after today's fast.

I consumed 100 of my precious calories in half and half . Now I have 400 left for dinner. I think it will be fillet of salmon and salad without dressing or just a splash of it. -- I am not hungry today though; as long as I can keep my evening eating under wraps, I should be golden for today. Those evening hours are the killers....
  • Quote: This time, I drink coffee with half and half in the morning (178 calories) have a small lunch at noon of about 300-400 calories and that leaves the rest for a very nice sized dinner. I get FULL at dinner and it feels GREAT. Then, I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. I end up eating 1100-1200 calories that way and I almost NEVER have to restrict myself at dinner time. I eat as much as I feel hungry for. THAT works for me much better than 3 similar size meals during the day that always left me a bit hungry and never really satisfied.
    This type of eating plan would be perfect for me if I could do it all the time. I have various obligations that compel me to eat breakfast, but when I do not, it is SO much easier for me to just skip breakfast, eat brunch/lunch around 11:00 (or even as late as 12:30), and still have plenty of calories left for dinner. When I can follow that schedule, I always end up eating fewer calories.
  • Hi all...well it has only been a few days but it is harder than I thought it would be. I had a hard time getting through the fast day , especially late afternoon. I wound up taking in 700 calories instead of five hundred but it is a start. Today was a non fast day and I was trying to be mindful...1300 calories. Tomorrow is a fast day again......Im definitely not drinking enough water , I believe that will help. No weight loss yet but I'm being optimistic!
  • I managed to fast yesterday. After a few binge days the fasting days seem to be so hard...now today, after I fast day, I could care less about food; not hungry. I did lose 2.4 pounds of bloat. -- If I could go without binge days; I could actually start losing weight

I will keep my calories around 1200 for the day. I have a physically active/demanding day; step aerobics, doggie walk and lawn mowing. If I get hungry I will add a few more calories.

I think me next fast day will Tuesday.

Love this plan!
  • Welcome to all the newbies.

I'm doing Fast 5 and really love it. I try to eat around or under 1400 calories a day. I don't watch my carbs and I really could stand to eat cleaner, but I am still losing without all that, luckily for me. My window is 6:30 to 10:30, so more like Fast 4.

I love that I can eat pretty much whatever I want and now I don't even get hungry during the day. I do drink a lot of water and which is a must when fasting.

Good luck to all those starting IF. I've never tried 5:2 or alternate day fasting. I did try Eat Stop Eat and Leangains (minus the working out bit), but have found that I like Fast 5 best.
  • Hi All and welcome to the newest members!
    I was on vacation all last week in Mexico, but got back on my fasting today. I was super busy so it was a breeze. However, dying of thirst right now, so I know I didn't drink enough water.
    I had a great time, and sounds like you fellow travelers did also.
    NoName- back to back fasts?? Wow- good for you. I was thinking it'd be good to throw in another one (three) for this week to counteract vacation, though I didn't do too bad. I'm not going near the scale yet though!!
  • Yogini It was way easier than I thought it would be! I won't be doing it again on purpose, but if you have to do it to fit in your fasts, go for it. Nothing to be afraid of. I hope you had an amazing trip! It must feel good to know you have a plan to come back to.

wvuchick Do you manage Fast 5 on the weekends as well?

Zumbachica 700 cals on your first fast day is awesome! It is really hard at first, but keep it up. It'll get easier.

Can't believe I've been doing this 10 months already. I don't think I've ever stuck to something for so long. And I've been going to the gym regularly for about 15+ months!
  • nonameslob: Yes, I fast on the weekends. I live an hour from civilization so my husband and I usually either go shopping all day or we work around the house, doing yardwork, gardening, or cleaning. So either way I am super busy and it is not too hard to do.

Once I got past the feeling that I "should" be eating, it has been pretty easy. Usually we'll have a dinner out somewhere so I always plan ahead in my mind, so I have something to look forward to.

I just noticed you hit Onederland! Congrats!!!!
  • Yesterday was my UpDay; ended with 1360 calories which incl. 1/2 bar of chocolate. I wanted to eat the whole thing, but I mustered up some will power.

Today is DownDay; I will end up around 650 calories. Decided to have coffee this morning and I can not drink it without cream Should have stuck to green tea, oh well.

I am starting my second volunteer gig today. Woot! -- I am from Finland and I have been volunteering for a local Finnish Center (FCA) for 1 1/2 years. Just recently, I was nominated as their membership chair. Now I took another volunteer position at a local hospital I will be their welcome girl/ information desk personnel. I am excited over it. -- I am a retired mom, well almost; my son is graduating HS this year and he is off to college this fall...so I have all this time. I spend it volunteering and working out -- Anycase... I will be busy from 11:30 - 5 today, which is great for my fast. No fridge and pantry to raid

Plan for today;
    Bfast; 2 medium hard boiled eggs; decaf coffee w/cream
    Lunch; Fast
    Dinner: Corn tortilla filled w/ back beans, 1oz shredded Mexican cheese, dab of sour cream and salsa
    Snacks; Fast

Total calories 650