Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

You're on Page 15 of 34
Go to
  • Welcome ShaMac
    I practice 5:2 and have been trying to count cals on most feast days during week at least. I find 5:2 pretty easy, but count calories now on non fast days because weight loss was slooooow!
    I have been thinking of trying 4:3- scared now that NoName says it's hard!! haha
  • Oh don't let me scare you! It feels like how it felt the first few weeks doing 5:2. I'm sure there's an adjustment period. It also doesn't help that I didn't eat the most healthy dinner last night (ravioli...mmm). I usually do better if I have a protein-heavy dinner.

Worth a shot I'd say! Then the three of us can commiserate together :P
  • Quote: I started the one meal a day plan a week and a half ago and it's going great for me. I've lost about 6 lbs. I eat a plant based diet so my meals consist of salad and a plate of cooked veggies, including beans, fruit and rice, etc.
    Hi, sunshine, I'm happy to see another one-meal-a-day member! I eat a lot of veggies and a limited serving of starchy whole foods, but other than that I'm pretty low carb. The core of my plan is the one-meal-a-day aspect, with no calorie counting. I think I can stick with that in maintenance too! In fact, I'm sortof in maintenance now, intentionally losing weight pretty slowly and I can see this as my ongoing lifestyle. Good luck to you!
  • Thank you for the welcome!

Yogini, I agree with noname. It's an adjustment but it's doable.

Noname I think I will go back to 5:2 after I get a handle on my eating. I also have an eating window that follow everyday, but sometimes I don't eat on fasting days at all. I'm kind of all over the place with my rules, but it has worked for me, and hopefully I can work it out again.
  • So NoName- easier to fast the next day when you have a protein heavy dinner? I should pay attention to that...makes sense! Are you still doing MW and then eat normal dinner on Friday (vs. 500 cal dinner)?
  • Wow. I get busy at work and the forum blows up.

Welcome ShaMac. I do fast 5 and still counting calories. They can creep up on you before you know

My loss has been slow, but I know if I stick to it, I'll get there. This is definitely something I can see myself doing for the long term.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
  • Thanks Wvychick!

I think this is my first time having a down day on a weekend in my IF experience. These past few hours have been really hard for me. My eating window closes at 9 so I think I'll be ok after my window closes, I usually don't think about food after. I also need to work on myself on up days, I have been overeating and I know that is undoing my progress.
  • Quote: So NoName- easier to fast the next day when you have a protein heavy dinner? I should pay attention to that...makes sense! Are you still doing MW and then eat normal dinner on Friday (vs. 500 cal dinner)?
    Yeah, or just a well-rounded dinner in general.

What is MW? Yes, I ate normally Friday night vs. 500, which is something I will try again. It will still attribute to a calorie deficit even if it's not a 500 cal fast (which will help offset some of my bad weekend habits lol). However, not sure what I'm doing this week. Probably just a usual 5:2 since we leave for a camping trip Thursday night.

Looks like I'm going back to counting calories on regular days again. Scale hasn't been too kind so I need to keep myself in check!
  • I had a total loss of 4 lbs last week and I am ecstatic. I just hope it continues. I am going on a mini vacay next week, I will probably not stick to my eating window so I hope I don't do too much damage.

I also was able to stick to my window this weekend, which is hard for me on the weekends.

Have a great day everyone.
  • WVUchick- great news!
    NoName- MW...monday/wednesday..hahaha. Usually I am the one who can't figure out everyone's acronyms. I agree, even if you don't stick to 500 on Fridays, you are still going to have a deficit. I usually don't watch things carefully on the weekend either. I may try that too- good idea!
  • wvuchick Four pounds is awesome!

Okay guys, I am feeling back on track. I actually counted calories today, a fast day. Yeah I had been slacking and just winged it on fast days. In hindsight I had definitely been eating over 500! I had chicken with asparagus, shallots, zucchini noodles, feta cheese and seasonings. Yum! I think I will have the same on Wednesday. Combine that with a great workout and I'm feeling much more optimistic today.
  • Good for you no name!
    Why does slacking never work? hahaha- bummer
  • LOL Right? It starts with good intentions but eventually it's just a downward spiral! Also counting this week on non-fast days.

Did you fast yesterday Yogini? If so how'd it go?
  • noname - I have to count or I go mad. I'm ocd a bit too, so that could be why. I'm glad your back on track.

Yogini - Slacking never works for me either. Can't imagine why!

I couldn't sleep half the night, so I am so hungry today. I'll be seriously chugging the water today til I get home from work. Without Fast 5 I'd probably be sneaking off to the vending machine for a candy bar or two today in my weakness (I don't function to well on little sleep). However, I know that I just can't have anything til I get home. That for me is the beauty of fasting.

Have a great Tuesday all!
  • Noname good idea on counting. I always end up overeating on non fast days.

Wuvchick congrats on your loss that's a lot for one week!