Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 2 of 17
Go to
  • Sunday - Set clocks back. New moon with partial eclipse.
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi, to a Dia De los Muertos party for much fun but, unfortunately, more food than I planned - Ouch. I did limit myself in a situation where multiple refills of tiny plates was the norm as well as multiple trips to flowing bars. I did discard part of a HUGE roll that seemed to be part of the celebration.

I'm typing fast because I still want to get out and see if the rumors about my moonbeam are true. As Joy (gardenerjoy) mentioned, she is predicted to present herself, Full Monty, to the sun this morning! She says it's only a 'partial' eclipse, but that's as satisfying as hearing that they 'only' went to second base. Sounds a bit Miley Cyrus to me. Fortunately I'm over it and am only looking because I'm curious.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Great to be reminded that it's possible, "Nothing else went according to plan, but the food did!"

CeeJay - So encouraging to read, "Feeling committed and strong!" Kudos for all those days in a row.

maryann - Glad your back is healing. DW just bought a persimmon that I'm staring at warily because the last one we had puckered me beyond endurance. Kudos for avoiding a big meal to celebrate weight loss.

nationalparker – A "few hundred pavers" is Kudos worthy exercise. LOL at the old story of painting yourself in.

sparks17 – This "lost and gained the same ..." seems to be common among those of us wrestling this weight thing. Kudos for designing your own "Intermittent Fasting lite" for your eating plan.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 7 Arrange Your Environment

The following example responses might be helpful.Sabotaging Thought: I don't know if I really want to change my environment.
    Helpful Response: Wait, that may be true, but it's even more important to me to lose weight. I can't have it both ways. I can't resist making changes and lose weight. I'll go read my Advantages Response Card right now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 94.
  • I tried a new recipe for lunch yesterday. I failed to like it. Credit for trying new things!

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +45 95/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

I had an OP day yesterday working on a project for the Department of Education. I am a minion writing a few resource lesson plans to be uploaded for a national data base. I found a fantastic letter in the National Archives. It is from an army supply sergeant at the Macarthur base in Texas who is trying to persuade the Coca Cola Bottling Company in Waco, Texas to help the War effort by sending ten times the amount of Coke to his base. it was written in 1918. It is a terrific example of persuasive argument, fallacious reasoning and figurative language. I called the lesson Coca Cola: Defeating the Enemy Thirst ( a line from the letter.

I know kids will love it because it is relatable and ironic. The letter talks about the healthy and wholesome properties of Coca Cola ! Wow.

Anywho . . . Weight is at ticker. I took a nice walk yesterday and plan a Pilates session today.
  • Good morning,

maryann-your job sounds really interesting. I think Coca Cola would still like to be known as healthy and wholesome. Good for you for forgoing your celebration meal so that you would not have to go through the temporary water gain.

gardenerjoy- too bad about the recipe but as they say nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BillBlueEyes-did you see your moonbeams this morning? I was blissfully sleeping in today.

nationalparker-lots of credits for you. You got me thinking about writing some new advantage cards too. Mine are all oriented to the being at goal- think I need some with more current focus.

sparks17- your success at the party is impressive. Thanks for the reminder about slow and steady.

silverbirch- salad not a three course meal is commendable!

anakin-sounds like you had a good plan to deal with lunches on busy weeks. It is very easy to get swamped in "too busy".

Ilene- yay for wine over candy- much healthier choice!

Lexxiss- hope you are feeling better. Sorry things are so difficult right now but you sound like you are managing just fine with what you need to do.

bethFromDayton-good plan for the Halloween candy and big credit you did not eat any.

Rosebud170-the amount of weight you have lost is inspiring to me. You started right about where I did.

For me today I am right on track for a healthy day. I ate a healthy breakfast, rode the exercise bike, read my cards, and checked in with my coaches. Now I just need to eat my planned lunch, dinner and snacks and head out for a walk a little later. Another sunny day here above zero.

• Well, I lied. I didn't do a trail walk but have been on my feet almost all day, and have danced around like a goofball with our dog until she ran to the water bowl. So have been active, just not the planned activity.

Wrote my new advantages card, journaled, ate pretty well, but still need to do my food plan for the week.

Dreading work tomorrow. I hate this feeling. Don't borrow worry.

Here's to the start of a GREAT, on-plan week!
  • end of something start of something else
    Coaches

I've found it tough to stay in touch here ever since my beloved netbook bit the Big Byte in the Sky. But the birthday fairy says I get one tomorrow for my birthday! yay me! I spent about 3 hours this afternoon feeling desolate about turning the half-century tomorrow. How is it possible that that is me? No clue. But given the passing of so many this year, humans and animals alike, I am just glad to see my birthday once more! I do feel blue that my brother is not here to tell me I am old for a mammal. He told me that when I turned 42 -- not sure what he'd have had to say about the big 5-0.

I have laid some groundwork to get back on track. What I have learned this time round is not to stop. I plateaued/coasted/took a break for way too long... close to a year I didn't budge from the 250-255 range and here I am, having started weight watchers last Thursday (credit) at 275. I was 258 at the end of August.

Kudos for beginning again.

In addition, I have joined a gym in my neighborhood that just opened with a no commitment membership that can be cancelled with 14 days notice. I am planning on working it into my daily routine in the early mornings. I meet with the trainer tomorrow for weigh-in measuring, workout routine consulting etc. I think that's a good thing to be doing at the start of my 5th decade.

My mural voting competition is over. I really want to thank those of you who cast a vote my way--some over and over and over. I don't think I won. They posted that the 19 artists involved generated 91,000 votes over the course of the month. That's a lot of votes. The winner will be announced Nov 13th at an awards ceremony. I don't expect to win but of the top three I do have a favorite who I hope wins.

So, here I am. Thanks for still being here.
  • Coca Cola has healthy and wholesome properties? Funniest thing I have read in ages!!!

I've had a good weekend. A nice NSV - I bought new jeans today. I've gone from a 22 to a 16 this year. I had hoped to be in a 16 by Christmas, and it is pretty sweet that I am there sooner!

Here are some of the things I wrote on my cards back in April -

I will look better. I will dress better. I will feel less self-conscious.

And I do!
  • Hi all,

This has been a busy, but on plan food weekend. An indulgence thrown in, but one the plan could handle. For a change, we had a quiet weekend--not too much going on and our running around was on our own schedule. (And Saturday night, we went to Lowe's and Home Depot. How romantic of a Saturday night date is that!

I've had to talk myself down from snacking several times today and yesterday--but I've been successful each time, so credit for that.

I made a new advantages card, which is really "What has weight loss gotten me?" to keep myself on track for what I've accomplished--from [way] improved blood sugar and cholesterol, to an example for my daughter, to how much more fun clothes shopping is.

It also includes a recognition that I hadn't realized I'd felt self-conscious about my size--but realize now that I did--and do so less now.

I think it'll be useful to have a new card for my morning reminder.

Hope tomorrow is the beginning of a great week for everyone!
  • Monday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – My walk, CREDIT moi, was out looking for owls after dark. The trick is to see them as they leave their roosting spot to go hunting. We saw a Great Horned Owl and heard some Screech Owls - not so great, but much fun. I forget how seldom I'm out in a dark place for extended time - dark because there was no moon (which had dallied with the sun all day and followed it home in the evening - which is entirely their business).

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. Going out in the evening helps to prevent the temptations for extra evening snacks.

onebyone – Happy 50th. May you have fifty more and another fifty after that. Kudos for joining your neighborhood gym.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for celebrating an experiment with negative results.

CeeJay - Yay for a healthy day.

maryann - Wholesome coke in 1918. . . hmmmmm. Do you know what year Coke removed coke from its ingredients? OK, I just googled that. From snopes, "Coca-Cola didn't become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then." Congrats for "at ticker."

nationalparker – Now that's some good advice, "Don't borrow worry." Kudos for dog-dancing exercise.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Super Advantage, "how much more fun clothes shopping is."

sparks17 – Yay for new jeans as an NSV - they gotta feel great.

Readers -
    Quote:

The following example responses might be helpful.
    Sabotaging Thought: I don't want to waste food by throwing it out.
    Helpful Response: If I don't throw it out, I'll be at risk for "wasting" it in my body where it'll turn to fat. Which is a better way to waste it?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 94.
  • I used the leftovers of my failed dish (creamed cauliflower with no cream) in stuffing and it was quite tasty. I also used some leftover sweet potato & apple soup as an ingredient for a yeast bread and that turned out well, too. Credit for creativity with leftovers.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +40 135/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Ceejay: i love when I am on a roll like you are. When I allow myself to enjoy the rhythm, I can remember it is easier to stay OP than fall off.

Sparks and BethfromDayton: Super congrats on all the physical changes health brings. You are reaping the benefits of your courage.

BBE: Credit for a moonlight walk. I like mine in the warm summer evenings because I am the type that is always cold.

As for me: Dh,DS and I took a two hour drive to the Bay Area to buy a violin from Mr. Gu, the man recommended by the violin teacher. The mysterious and charming Mr. Gu works out of his home and provided us with a superior instrument $500 less than the music store's inferior one. Boy, it pays to do the footwork. Took advantage of the trip to do several chores. Food was was off plan - two restaurant meals when I had been eating 1 home cooked meal each day. But made great choices soup in a "boule" but left the "boule" and added a small salad no dressing. Dinner, I had the side of brussels sprouts as my main dish (yum - roasted with red pepper and olive oil) and took a small portion of my DS's tortellini as a treat. I did enjoy See's candy for dessert — a moderate portion.

All in all, a win-win day. Weight one pound up from ticker but that is to be expected. More importantly OP this morning, back in the saddle. I want to see 151 by Thanksgiving.
  • I needed to see that line tonight - It's easier to stay on plan than get back on plan. Thanks for the reminder.

Work was crazy busy but no computer system shutdowns so that's good. I have relaxed this evening in grand style, just reading in the silence. No tv, radio, or music. Food was mostly OP today. Not much to report today - all work and little play.

Bill - DH says we have owls but I've not been lucky to see them - I mainly see our bats. Sister called to tell me she could hear an owl one day ... I said an OWL? I think it's a mourning dove. Oh, yeah, that's what it is ... ha ha.
  • Hello Coaches,

Here to say I had a terrible eating day. What happened? A bunch of sabotaging thoughts like- "I've already blown it so I will try again tomorrow", "I deserve this cause I've been doing well" and so on. Knowing all the way through that all these thoughts are B.S.

So I am thinking about what Dr. Beck says about it being a million times better to stop now...and that's what I am doing.

Going to bed annoyed with myself tonight.

Hope everyone had a better day than this.

• Tuesday - Guy Fawkes Day
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was out again in the evening at one of those long meetings with a volunteer organization. The good news is that no food or snacks were involved. Food was good enough for the day, CREDIT moi.

Two walks, CREDIT moi, for a scheduled event despite the threat of rain and the reality of chill. I do like walking when I have enough warm clothes so that I can feel the cold on my face but not in my bones.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for "creativity with leftovers." Creamless creamed cauliflower doesn't tweak my yummy chord, LOL.

CeeJay - Ouch for a day that left you feeling annoyed, with Kudos for facing Sabotaging Thoughts knowing "that all these thoughts are B.S. ."

silverbirch – Waving. Hope you're celebrating Guy Fawkes Day with fireworks. Around here at moment, few Americans would be inclined to celebrate that our Congressional building was spared 36 barrels of gunpowder - we're not in a love-our-congress phase.

maryann - See's candy in moderation is a big deal - Kudos. Congrats on chasing down the better violin for your DS. [Sensitive point: It wasn't a "moonlight walk" - she was on the other side dallying with the sun. I wasn't even thinking about her.]

nationalparker – Electronic silence is a joy - a neat example of Arranging Your Environment in the mental area. [I love our bats which I get to see if we dawdle on the patio as dark approaches in the summer.]

Readers -
    Quote:
    ...Once I make changes at home and
    at work to remove whatever temptations
    .....I can, dieting will be easier.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 95.
  • Ceejay - Glad that you stopped yourself. Everytime you stop yourself, you are building that muscle!

Maryann - now you have me craving Brussels Sprouts! Maybe I can get them together for dinner...

Yesterday I had dinner out and went for Subway instead of Burger King, even though I really really wanted BK. I was telling my husband last night that I still just love fast food. It is addicting - even the commercials make me hungry!

Today I am bringing my son to the dr in the city so we we will be out at lunchtime. I am trying to plan lunch and am feeling consumed with getting something "delicious". And I am feeling sorry for myself that I have to show restraint. I am reading my "It's not Fair" card and I have this, probably verbatim from the Beck book -

Accept it, move on, and do what I need to do to lose weight.

OK then!

No matter where he chooses to eat at lunch time, I can make a reasonable choice and show restraint. If he wants Five Guys, a burger is better than a burger and fries. If it's pizza, I can get 1 slice and a side salad, not 2 slices with sausage!

Tonight I will let you know how I did!