November Chat

You're on Page 1 of 6
Go to
  • Welcoming all of our Diabetic friends
  • Starting the month with an fbs of 156 ... not too bad

hope you all have a great day
  • Hi Rennie! We missed you! You have done a good job with your FBS. Mine goes down for a day or two then back up. But I won't give up trying.
  • Good morning and thanks for starting a new month, Rennie.

This is the month I am going to stick to the straight and narrow - testing and taking my meds! I might even drop some weight! I go to southern PA to celebrate American Thanksgiving with my friend Linda and hope to have a little leeway to indulge a bit. I also plan to get back into going to the gym.

For the record - 190.2 and FBGL 5.6 this morning.
  • Well, I started the month with FBS at 174 and weight is up a few lbs, but I'm sure that is because we ate out yesterday and I got too much sodium. Even DH FBS was 184 this morning so that is good as well. We at least are out of the 200 readings.

I started keeping up with calories at MFP and lowered my calorie goal to 1400. I plan to stay around 1200 but want the leeway. Also I have my exercise program in tact of 30 min 6 days a week. Using MFP actually helps keep me on track.

Looks like we all have our plan now we look forward to a good month.

Have a good day.
  • Carol Sue I went back up also for a couple of days. I'm trying to analyze things to see what the problem is since I know that I am eating pretty much OP (much much better than I use to). I asked my husband to pick up some Chia seeds. I really don't want to buy a whole bag and not like them but I don't know any other way to try them.

No problem Ruth I also plan to take my met like I am supposed to. I need to start testing more often so that I know how different foods are affecting me.

Trish, MFP is what keeps me in check as long as I use it .

I think I said this on the October thread but I'm not sure ... I am hoping to be in the 170's by Thanksgiving with hopes that it will keep me focused since I want to see that "7" so bad ... but first I've got to make it through THIS weekend
  • I forgot to share that every year DH and I would go to Walmart and purchase big bags of our favorite candies. We never have trick or treaters but always are prepared. This year we bought 1 bag and didn't pig out. I ate 2 pieces and counted it into my calories, but the bag is still almost full. We didn't devour it like we would have done in years past. Big accomplishment for us.
  • Welll< its my birthday, and I am still at 180, have seen 179 a few times but not staying there. Had hoped to be lower by now, but not regaining is good too.
    Exercise may be in the future, taking it slow and steady, if it doesn't rain again, I can see myself taking a trail walk today. DD coming for supper, and staying on plan all day. Have a good weekend friends.
  • Trish great NSV way to go

Madeleine Have a blessed and wonderful day I can't wait to see 180/179

Well fbs this morning was 134 ... talking about happy, I am happy. Scale was only down .2 to 183.6 better than nothing, huh!

Have a great Saturday everyone

• Happy Birthday Dear Madeleine
    Have a great day!!!
  • Quote: Trish great NSV way to go

Madeleine Have a blessed and wonderful day I can't wait to see 180/179

Well fbs this morning was 134 ... talking about happy, I am happy. Scale was only down .2 to 183.6 better than nothing, huh!

Have a great Saturday everyone
    Rennie Congratulations on the 134 FBS and the .2 weight down.

2 days OP with calories under 1400 calories and I did 40 minutes of exercise.

Feeling good about myself for a change.
  • I wanted to share with y'all something I read on Dr. Andrew Weil's website. I decided to read what he had to say about different diets. There was one that he commented on about whether you should eat most of your calories/carbs early in the day or later in the day.

It seems that there was a study done where there were 2 groups. One group ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. They ate most of their calories at lunch and the breakfast and lunch were smaller. But the smallest calories were at the evening meal. (I know that probably isn't possible for everyone. I couldn't have done that when my kids were home and when I worked out of the home.)

The second group ate a small amount of breakfast or no breakfast at all, and ate the largest amount of their food at their evening meal.

While they both lost weight, the 1st group that ate most of their food earlier in the day lost more weight than the 2nd group.

I found this interesting because I remember the 1st time I ever did Weight Watchers, I learned by accident that if I wanted a cookie or some kind of sweets (which I didn't eat very often since I was always a chip eater) and I ate it before 2 pm that it didn't effect my weight loss.

Since DH and I eat our biggest meal sometime between 2 to 3 pm, I have started eating a good breakfast but too many calories, our main larger meal and finish my day with a meal around 300 calories. On days I stay home, I divide my chia seeds between breakfast and lunch meal (using 1 TBLS a day). On days I have busy time away from home, I add the whole TBLS in a salad or whatever in the meal I eat at home. I do find that this keeps me from being hungry in between meals. We will see what it does for the weight and FBS.
  • Quote: 2 days OP with calories under 1400 calories and I did 40 minutes of exercise.

Feeling good about myself for a change.
    Trish, you have a right to feel good, nice job, keep it going I too think it's better for me to eat the bulk or heavier meals in the early part of the day. I know I'll be moving around. Now today since we went to the gym early I don't really want to eat anything at all but I know that when my calories are too low the scale doesn't move in the right direction. I think it's because it holds onto the sodium that I take in since there aren't enough calories. Just my opinion with my body.
  • Found this on a website called SymptomFind.com Thought y'all might like to see the info.

Oatmeal Health Benefits

For many kids, there can be no worse breakfast than oatmeal. They’ll eat pancakes and waffles and cereal, but they won’t touch oatmeal. But what many kids, and many adults, don’t realize is that just one bowl of oatmeal a day can keep the doctor away. It’s full of fiber and just one cup contains almost 26 micrograms of folate, and more than 10 grams of protein. Read on to learn more oatmeal health benefits.

1. Oatmeal Lowers Cholesterol

Oatmeal is a rich source of soluble fiber, which is also found in apples, pears, prunes and barley. Soluble fiber inhibits the body’s absorption of low-density-lipoprotein, or LDL, which is known as the bad cholesterol. One-and-a-half cups of oatmeal contains more than five grams of fiber, which is enough to reduce your cholesterol level.

2. It Can Reduce The Risk Of Developing High Blood Pressure

Since oatmeal is high in fiber, which is heart-healthy, it offers many cardiovascular benefits, including a reduced risk of developing high blood pressure. It’s recommended that postmenopausal women, who tend to develop high blood pressure, should eat six servings of oatmeal or other whole grains on a weekly basis. Studies show that men can also reduce their risk of heart failure if they eat one bowl of whole grain cereal or oatmeal, per day.

3. It’s Full Of Antioxidants

Oatmeal contains a special type of antioxidant called avenanthramide. Avenanthramides fight off free radicals that attack high-density lipoproteins, or HDL, which is known as the good cholesterol. They also protect LDL cholesterol from oxidizing from copper, which reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.

4. It Prevents The Arteries From Hardening

Avenanthramides not only protect against heart disease, they also prevent the arteries from hardening. Those antioxidants suppress the production of molecules that allow monocytes to adhere to the walls of the arteries. Research has shown that postmenopausal women who eat six servings of whole grains a week reduced their risk of developing atherosclerosis, which is the build-up of plaque along the passageways of the arteries, and slowed the progression of stenosis, which causes the passageways of the arteries to narrow.

When paired with vitamin C, the cardiovascular benefits of oatmeal are enhanced, so drink a glass of orange juice or eat some citrus with your oatmeal.

5. Oatmeal Can Prevent The Development Of Breast Cancer

Studies have shown that women who take in a high amount of fiber have a reduced risk of developing breast cancer, especially if the fiber comes from whole grains. The insoluble fiber in whole grains will attack carcinogens as well as lower levels of estrogen in the body and this can protect the body from the development of cancer. A study conducted in the UK found that pre-menopausal women reduced their risk of developing breast cancer by 41 percent just by eating fiber from whole grains.

6. It Stabilizes Blood Sugar

The benefits from fiber don’t stop with cancer prevention. A high fiber diet will stabilize blood sugar levels and won’t cause the mid-morning slumps, which comes from eating a lot of sugar and carbs in the morning.

7. It Will Also Prevent The Development Of Diabetes

Aside from fiber, oatmeal is also a good source of magnesium, which regulates the body’s insulin and glucose levels. It’s been shown that, over the course of eight years, women who eat a diet rich in whole grains can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by up to 31 percent. To up the ante, add milk to the oatmeal. The boost of low-fat dairy can also lower the risk for diabetes.

8. It Gives The Immune System A Boost

Oatmeal contains a certain type of fiber called beta-gluten fiber. This fiber protects against heart disease and also revs up the immune system. It helps the immune cells seek out and repair areas or the body that may be fighting a bacterial infection.

9. Eating Oatmeal Can Prevent Weight Gain

Eating food to not gain weight sounds like the perfect kind of diet, right? Because oatmeal is so rich in fiber, it will make you fuller for a longer period of time. Fiber will increase the viscosity of the stomach’s contents so that it will take longer to empty. Feeling full for a longer period of time will also prevent the need to snack on sugary or salty foods throughout the day. Research has linked a lower risk of obesity to children who regularly eat oatmeal.

10. Those Who Can’t Eat Gluten Can Eat Oatmeal

Adults and children who have celiac disease cannot eat gluten, but studies show that they can eat oatmeal although it contains a small amount of gluten.

Keep in mind that the best way to reap the benefits of oatmeal is through regular oatmeal and not the instant stuff, which is full of sugar and sodium. To add flavor without adding an onslaught of calories, mix in some fruit like apples, cranberries or blueberries or add a tablespoon of brown sugar for a touch of sweetness.
  • Quote: Trish, you have a right to feel good, nice job, keep it going I too think it's better for me to eat the bulk or heavier meals in the early part of the day. I know I'll be moving around. Now today since we went to the gym early I don't really want to eat anything at all but I know that when my calories are too low the scale doesn't move in the right direction. I think it's because it holds onto the sodium that I take in since there aren't enough calories. Just my opinion with my body.
    My son and I were talking about not eating enough just today. I used to cut my calories so far back and couldn't understand why I couldn't lose weight. Then we would go out to eat and then we would go out to eat and I would come home thinking "boy I'm going to pay for this tomorrow". I would get on the scales next day expecting to have a huge gain and find I had a really good weight loss. It never occurred to me that I wasn't eating enough. I was exercising and dieting faithfully and thought I was doing a good thing. I know everyone might not agree with me, but I think we have to find the balance that makes it all work for us individually. I saw a doctor on tv yrs and yrs ago and he said that if you get your food consumption and exercise right that you would automatically lose weight with no real effort. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps that is true. Stress is known to work against diabetes and I'm thinking that I stress so much over the weight loss that perhaps it works against me losing. My goal is to get the routine of eating and exercise working for me and then lose the stress by just relaxing and enjoying my life... WL and all. I honestly believe that just might be the difference in success and failure. JMO