getting out of the 280's and 270's

You're on Page 28 of 34
Go to
  • Thank you so much @ Pink Hurricane I am hoping to get to 276 by Friday for my 3fc weight loss challenge. I guess we begin a new one after the 4th of July, I can't wait to set new goals and work to make them happen. I am hoping to reach 260 by the end of September & 257 by my birthday (in October).

KTG1981 you're doing fantastic, any exercises you can recommend? I'm trying to move more, and so far I've been losing weight on pretty much calorie control alone.
  • Quote: KTG1981[/B] you're doing fantastic, any exercises you can recommend? I'm trying to move more, and so far I've been losing weight on pretty much calorie control alone.
    WOW! That you've done all that with calorie counting is hella impressive!!!

I may not be the best person to ask--I have recurring foot/ankle/knee problems, so I spend a ton of my workouts accommodating, lest I end up back in cast. But, here's my routine. I would love to hear from all of you what's working on your end!

When I got clearance to work out again in February, I couldn't do much. The only way I can describe the feeling was being locked inside my body. (Ye gods, my hips. My hips practically ratcheted like a knockoff GI Joe when I moved.)

My muscles were so weirdly unbalanced and weak that I was actually clueless about how to start back. On one hand, I was so frustrated by my lack of ability (I've always been fat, but I've also always been very physically active, on the move, and in the gym.), but on the other, I knew my muscles and bones had had a rough couple years, and I didn't want to push them too hard. I had no idea where my new line was between wussing out and hitting a legitimate limitation. For me, meeting with a trainer (twice a week at first, once a week as I got some mobility back) was the right choice. It's not so much that he teaches me things I don't already know, but that he's my ally and guru in terms of what my body is strong enough to do. (Ironically, I knew he was the right trainer for me when he kept holding me back from advancing too quickly!!)

I try to work out five to six days a week, because I've found that the single most important thing for me is consistency. If I miss a workout or don't have exactly the right groceries in the house, the day (and probably the day after) are pretty much wrecked. I don't plan my off days, though, I just know that there will be one, maybe two (once in a while three) days when laundry is eating my head or work drops an impossible project on me or I just need a day to play hooky.

I alternate cardio and strength training days.

For the longest time, I wasn't allowed to walk for my cardio (I'm still not allowed to run), and that was a huge challenge for me. I get *bored* on the elliptical, the arc trainer hurt my knees, and the bike hurt my . . . well . . . the bike was uncomfortable . . . so I would do 10-15 minutes on each. That way I still got a solid cardio session in without going nuts and taking out the stairmaster with a dumbbell. Once I was allowed to walk for extended times again, my cardio success took a huge step forward. (I tried for like HALF A SECOND to resist that pun.) It's exactly 1.25 miles from my front door to a major intersection. At first, I would pick mini-goals (I'll go .5 to the park and back. . . I'll go up to the theater . . . . I'll go to Mama Maria's and turn around . . .). As I got stronger, I got more ambitious. I'm also crazy competitive, so I have RunTracker on my phone. Mine's set to give me speed and distance every three minutes. Nothing motivates me like hearing that I'm *thisclose* to levelling up my pace. I'm still not as fast as my old minimum walking pace, but I'm getting better.

I also cannot possibly encourage EVERYONE enough--add a strength training component to your workouts!!!!! For me, the mental victory that comes every time I win a battle with a weight rep is *priceless.* It's also the most freeing feeling to me. Even when I couldn't walk two blocks without limping, I could do a basic weight training session. (Hey, most of 'em you do sitting down!!). I LOVE seeing my numbers edge up, and, TBH, I always feel a little more legit after a weight session. My trainer and I have me on a total body routine; I do the same workout every time I go to the gym, track it on my sheet (OMG, journaling your workouts is MAGICAL), and we take a look and tweak it every couple weeks. The day that I meet with him counts as one of my strength days, but he and I work on challenging new exercises that I may need closer supervision on (like compound movements. I'm beginning to be able to coordinate something like a bicep curl, while also bringing alternating knees up.). When we've done something a few times, it's hitting the right muscle, and it's not causing old injuries to grumble, we put it into my schedule and pull a more elementary move out.

Also, there's a coldly practical reason for the emphasis on lifting heavy for me (if you happen to be unfamiliar with the term, for us women it just means that we lift with the intention to progressively become stronger, not that we lift body-builder style or something). The more muscle I build, the more calories I burn while resting. To me, it feels almost like cheating--not only am *I* eating less and exercising to *lose* weight, I'm adding artillery to the fight! The muscle tissue is sitting there, unseen, just gobbling up all the calories it can. While I'm scrambling up this weight loss mountain, it's just shaving a little of the top off for me. . . Best of all, as the bulk of the weight melts off, all my beautiful, sleek, hard-won, strong, lean muscles will be waiting to take its place!

Anyway, that's my novel, and it may not be what YOUR body is craving. You say you're trying to move more. What sounds wonderful to you? A walk in the park? Or are you more a get-in-get-it-done elliptical girl? Do you have physical limitations? The pool was my *refuge* when I was hurt. I signed up for swimming lessons because I wanted to be able to work out by swimming laps, but honestly I just loved that hour a week when standing up *didn't* hurt.

Tell me what ideas you're playing with! I'm not a doctor, or a trainer, but I'm an awesome idea-haver!
  • Weighed in at 270 today, but I'm right in shark week, so when that finally ends, I may very well be in the 260s. Let's hope, yeah?

I'm a little proud of myself. I did Jillian Michaels' 30DS Monday and Tuesday and I was going to have today as a rest day since I woke up sore. However, I went out to get some groceries and the weather was beautiful: 75 degrees, sunny, 50% humidity, and breezy. I had to take advantage and decided to do some cardio outside via a brisk walk. I took a new path that has plenty of inclines and walked for 72 minutes. My HR monitor gave me a calorie burn of 961! Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day, I think.
  • Hi everyone,

I'd like to join in! I'm dead on 280 right now....
  • Woo! Weighed in at 268.2 today! Finally freaking out of the 270s! 250s, here I come!
  • Great work Rashomon!! Congrats!!

Today I'm at 278.7, which is pleasing!

I'm still waiting on starting exercise - it's been manic warm here. Hopefully I can get below 278 in a week's time
  • Hi, I'm new! Sort of....I lost a bunch of weight a few years back and now I'm above my original starting weight! I'm 285 right now, highest ever (I was nearly 300 a few months ago, but I was 9 months pregnant)! I need major support and I want to give it in return!
  • Quote: Hi, I'm new! Sort of....I lost a bunch of weight a few years back and now I'm above my original starting weight! I'm 285 right now, highest ever (I was nearly 300 a few months ago, but I was 9 months pregnant)! I need major support and I want to give it in return!
    Hi there, I just read your intro post

Take your 285 and run, because I'm coming at ya with my 289
  • KTG1981 Thank you so much for your reply! I apologize for the delay, I've been a bit frazzled lately, I am finally starting to come back to myself. I'm thinking of getting back into walking, but I had better bring 2-3 bottles of water with me because I get dehydrated easily.
  • I'm baaa-ack. I've been hovering just above 270 so was loathe to leave the "getting out of 260s" thread, but then stopped posting there because I felt hypocritical (you know all the "nice" things are heads throw at us). Anyway, gooo us! I'm at about 275 now and hoping to depart soon.
  • Feeling a bit slumpish still . . . wish the sun would come out. I find it hard be motivated when it's July but feels like a cold and windy October. Ah, well!
  • Hello ladies! Is anyone still hanging around in the thread?
  • heya... sigh lol hit the highest ive ever been, have gained some since taking new medication, lovely lost big amount of weight twice before, heres to doing it again~ im @ 274.6 at the moment
  • Quote: heya... sigh lol hit the highest ive ever been, have gained some since taking new medication, lovely lost big amount of weight twice before, heres to doing it again~ im @ 274.6 at the moment
    Welcome back! You've done it before; you can do it again!

It's great to see new and returning faces to the thread. I'm yo-yoing a bit too--a lot of fun and not as much planning/care into my meals. I've had a lovely summer though--lots of company and small road trips and adventure. Fall, with a naturally tighter regimen and more plannable meals will arrive soon enough. I'm happy that I haven't "undone" all my other work and look forward to cutting out refined carbs again as I feel much better, more energetic, when I'm not eating them.
  • Quote: Welcome back! You've done it before; you can do it again!

It's great to see new and returning faces to the thread. I'm yo-yoing a bit too--a lot of fun and not as much planning/care into my meals. I've had a lovely summer though--lots of company and small road trips and adventure. Fall, with a naturally tighter regimen and more plannable meals will arrive soon enough. I'm happy that I haven't "undone" all my other work and look forward to cutting out refined carbs again as I feel much better, more energetic, when I'm not eating them.

Oh nice! that sounded like a lot of fun :P & grats on your loss so far )

I have switched everything to brown and cut most surgars out, it really does a number on me, more so since I have pcos , for some crazy reason I havent been havin bad cravings at all this time around, confidant I can stick to it this time.. I think it has something to do with the medication im on but ill take it! haha