Raw food diet....

• Okay so after going vegetarian and finding out I have diabetes, I'm starting to think I may need to consider a raw vegetarian/vegan diet. Any good books out there on the subject. I've read Skinny ***** but didn't help me. What should I do? I was also maybe considering eating raw dairy and honey (not completely vegan).
  • Why do you think raw vegan is the answer? I'm personally not a fan of raw diets myself. Unless you have a solid reason for being raw, it is something hard to stick to and personally, I don't think it is very pleasant. There are a few diabetics (type 1) that follow a vegan diet to control their diabetes but I know type 1 is different than type 2.
  • I have type 2 and I know I basically have to go on a low carb diet but I'm also wanting to give up meat.
  • Why do you have to go low carb? Have you looked into low fat vegan diet? I mentioned in another thread about Dr. Neal Bernard's diet for Reversing Diabetes. I've read the book and it is good and the study showed that most type 2 diabetics got to a point where they no longer showed signs of diabetes. If you want to low carb, I'd say go for it but you might want to also consider the alternatives.
  • Due to the nature of type 2 diabetes, medical professionals suggest that you go on a low carb and low sugar diet. So half the stuff I love to eat I have to take out of my diet or limit.
  • You could still be vegetarian and do low-carb and low-sugar.

I mean, chocolate is vegan, coconut oil is high in fat... on the raw side, avocados and nuts also have a high fat content, especially if not eaten in moderation. You could very realistically do low-carb and low-sugar as a vegetarian. Everything in moderation. Disclaimer: I'm biased because I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian except I eat fish because omega3's and yum)
  • I think it depends on your doctor, the importance is placed on stabilizing blood sugar and you can do that in numerous ways. I know people on this site that are diabetic (not vegetarian) and follow the low GI/GL type diet such as South Beach phase 2. I have PCOS and I tend to follow a lower GI/GL diet. If you want to eat a raw diet, I say go for it but I do think it is challenging.

Ginny Messina (theveganrd.com) and Jack Norris (jacknorrisrd.com) are 2 big names in vegan nutrition. I think if you asked either of them about a recommended diet for a diabetic, they could provide some insight. Both are pretty approachable as well.

This is from Jack's blog about how a vegan diet can improve diabetes
    http://jacknorrisrd.com/veganhealth-...pe-2-diabetes/
  • Quote: You could still be vegetarian and do low-carb and low-sugar.

I mean, chocolate is vegan, coconut oil is high in fat... on the raw side, avocados and nuts also have a high fat content, especially if not eaten in moderation. You could very realistically do low-carb and low-sugar as a vegetarian. Everything in moderation. Disclaimer: I'm biased because I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian except I eat fish because omega3's and yum)
    Well, I'm currently a semi-vegetarian but I don't eat meat everyday.
  • Cool That's certainly a start. When in doubt, there's wikihow.com:

1. How to become a vegetarian (pretty solid advice!) http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Vegetarian

2. Advice I wish I followed better:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Healthy-as-a-Vegetarian

Just for reference, I've been a pescatarian for around 4 years. I lost around 35lb by cutting meat. It took me maybe 1 month to drop the first 10 lb, and then ~5lb in the second month, and a few lb here and there ever since. I was not trying to lose weight, although that was a very welcomed unintended benefit. I eat fish, dairy, and eggs. This may not work for you because everyone's body is different, but I do suggest you try out vegetarianism (absolutely no meat) for a month.

Lol. I remember a month in, I had a WEIRD craving for raw ground beef haha, but then afterwards, I couldn't stand to smell or touch meat... it became almost psychological. In my mind, I often think to myself: "I hate that people eat meat, I hate how animals are treated, I hate society for coming to this, I hate how meat makes me feel bloated and sick" etc. etc.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck!
  • I don't really crave meat but I been having a lot of egg cravings lately, I have no idea why.
  • But is the Raw Food Diet really all that bad. I've heard both the pro and con sides. I guess there's no raw foodists here.
  • PrincessKLS, I don't think we have very many people here that follow raw food diets. I considered it a long time ago, but changed my mind after reading what Dr. Andrew Weil had to say about them. I trust his opinions and look for his advice on a lot of health issues.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40119...Raw-Foods.html

That said, most of the food that I eat is raw, but simply because the foods I eat are supposed to be eaten raw. I eat a very large quantity of fruits and vegetables daily. I cook some vegetables, but most end up in a very large salad bowl.
  • I think the raw food diet is just hard to stick too. I've done many high raw days and in fact many raw foodists I know eat 80% raw food. I hate eating raw foods during winter as that is not what my body craves. During summer, I love lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I love cooked beans though and cooked beans are low glycemic, full of fiber and contain protein. I also just felt really bad eating raw, I know raw foodists will say its toxins leaving your body but it isn't.
  • Okay 80% raw so what do they eat 20% of the time. And if it's not toxins leaving the body what is it then?