Steel Magnolias #62

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning everyone! It is going to be a nice day here and a bit warmer into the 70's by this afternoon. I noticed it didn't get as cold last night either as the furnace never kicked on.

Weighed myself today and am the same so that is fine with me.

Today I start housecleaning and getting the house back in order. It is a mess from dragging in suitcases and such and they getting all that stuff put away. A good cleaning should help it feel it is back to routine again. I also have a couple loads of laundry to do and put away dishes from the dishwasher and reload breakfast stuff.

I am hoping the yarn gets here tomorrow as it will take some time to finish a pair of socks for Thomas. He wears a size 10 mens shoe now. The kids will be down here the first week in December and we will have Christmas then so I have to get the darn things done.

The place on my upper arm where I got sunburned is peeling and driving me nuts. The skin is tender but the dead skin itches. I keep putting lotion on it hoping the new skin will be less sore and the dead stuff will fall off. My toes are doing fine too so that is good. The one that I bumped is pretty much healed and not sore to the touch anymore and the one where the toenail fell off is coming along too. It looks weird having all the other toes painted, but it is coming in healthy it looks like.

Jean: I can't seem to keep myself clean when I eat spaghetti. Even if I don't spill on it, I come home and find tiny spots of sauce that have splashed off the plate somehow. Hope it was good to make it worthwhile. My grandmother made the best black raspberry jam but it is really hard to even find black rasperries these days. I like a good raspberry or blackberry jam on toast.

Maggie: I bought Jay Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee. It is supposed to be excellent. I have no clue since I do not drink coffee. Jack says he is going to take a bottle of creamer onto the ship next year. You can get free coffee down in the cafes and we have little fridges in the rooms. Glad you haven't caught Will's cold. Hope you can keep yourself healthy.

Sounds like the washer is done so need to get going on everything this morning. Have a great start to your week. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's cold outside! The Weather Bug says it is 36 with a wind chill of 24! We balanced on the first try at church this morning. There was extra money from a rummage sale but we didn't have the auction money. I hope somebody responsible took it home with them because we couldn't find it. I just stopped to pick up the gift shop money and have that to count. I need to vacuum and dust -- the angle the sun is coming in my windows shows what I haven't dusted in awhile.

Maggie -- I finally told the Schwans guy not to come any more. I don't cook much during harvest and I noticed their prices had gone up. I know they are good but I don't have a lot of freezer space to stock up. How long will it take you to drive to CA?

"Gma" -- I asked for Christmas ideas when we were with the kids Saturday. They all looked at me like I had two heads! With Ian's birthday in November I like to start shopping before the rush if possible. I told Bob to plan on a Sioux City trip, to shop, after harvest is finished. I think a maintain after vacation is good!

I need to count money and get it to the bank this morning. Bob is farming and they hope to finish so they can move back to the home place before it rains. Enjoy your day and keep warm!
  • Moody Monday
    GOOD ROCKTOBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently 64° with the high predicted to be 67° this day in the ♥–Land. While the dogs were at the groomer the cat missed them as usual and argued with me. It was funny this morning for Beanie didn’t want to leave the yard and Cecil wanted to be loaded up. Cecil usually runs the other direction when that back gate is opened and Beanie waits patiently to be loaded but not today. They will all be loaded come Wednesday to be taken to the vet for safe keeping while we are gone. Our neighbor will pick up our mail.

JEAN We will leave on Wednesday morning and get there Friday afternoon or evening. We will stay a night in NM and one in AZ then we will be in CA the next day. I think we will take a different way by coming home though through the Mojave Desert, AZ and then Texas to pick up some great smoked meat in Dalhart which is a famous cattle sorting place and you can tell it from miles away from the smell of it. As far as the eye can see there are cattle in pens, hundreds of thousands of them being well fed and watered.

I saw the neatest thing to do with Grand’s Biscuits in and advertisement on TV that I am going to try. You flatten the biscuit and spread a bit of Sloppy Joe mix on half of it and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the meat then fold the biscuit over sealing the edges. Poke some holes on the top and bake. What a fun thing to make to take to a pot-luck or serve at a party. I also think eating one with a large salad for a lunch would be good. I’ll have to figure the points+ value when I get the ingredients gathered up. I will find out how well they freeze.

DONNA FAYE You will have that pair of sox finished for sure for we know how you like to have things in order and can knit things fast. That is an excellent brand of coffee you bought and I am sure he will enjoy it. Do you drink tea much? I know lots of non coffee drinkers that love their tea and there are many good tasting teas out there. I like a cup now again and love iced tea in the hot summer times.

Have a great afternoon my Magnolia friends.
  • Good morning ladies. Quick post as I am running behind this AM. I slept in this morning and that made a world of difference. I haven't eaten breakfast yet either and need to get some nourishment in me and start in cleaning.

I called and made my yearly mammogram and called and made a dr appt. They are Thur and Fri of next week. She said the dr's office usually schedules the mammogram after she asked me who my dr was. I told her for the last 6 years I have scheduled my own and got a letter giving me permission to schedule. She was all, "Well, yes, I can do that for you but your dr should....blah blah blah." Why would they send the recipient a letter with the scheduling number and all the info if you can't just schedule it yourself. Why should I pay to go to the doctor just to get a mammogram appt when I can do it myself? They want women to get them, then make it hard to do it. It is ridiculous. I guess she was trying to be a smarty pants by telling my dr's name had changed. Well, I called the dr's office first and they never said one word about her getting married and her name had changed. I am not sure she knew what she was talking about but anyway.

I am going to have to make an appt with the gyn now too as I am back to "acting up" so to speak. I am still on a round of those hormones though so will probably take my last month then go see him. Sheesh it is always something.

Jean: How long does harvest last? They haven't even picked the cotton here yet and usually by the second week in October it is stripped bare. You do just fix dinner and when he comes in he just warms it up or do you just do whatever like sandwiches and stuff or trust him to find himself something to eat? Must be nice to have the money come out first try.

Maggie: I don't drink tea. I will not ever drink coffee and I do occasionally drink tea, but not as a norm. I will drink ice tea once in awhile, but for the most part I don't drink tea. Hope the dogs and kitty do ok at the vets. It is a sad time to leave, but you will enjoy the traveling I am sure.

Well girls, need to jump to it. Have a good day all. Faye
  • Good morning, ladies! A balmy 59 degrees today. It's supposed to be in the 70s for the next few days then return to the low 60s.

Our quilt guild had its quilt show last weekend. I worked there on Saturday. The committee did a wonderful job. It was by far the best show we've ever had.

I woke up during the night Saturday with an asthma attack and it just hung on through yesterday. I'm breathing better today so came to work. Too much cold air, I think for I worked the admission desk at the quilt show and it was right by the door where everyone came in. I've given myself a few breathing treatments, started a 5-day Pednisone burst and taken it easy. The doctor lets me treat myself and gives me prescriptions for 100 Pednisone at a time because he knows I won't overdo it and I will come in if it doesn't respond quickly.

Faye, how nice to have many happy memories of your vacation and to come back thinner than you left. It can be done. That's one reason exercise is so important. I think you'd like the Y. If yours is like mine, the seniors are in the majority in the morning and there's socializing as well as exercise. We have a lounge area with free coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Jean, balancing the first time is great! I don't even want to think about Christmas yet. I ordered hand cream from Avon for the 24 ladies in my 2 quilting bees that exchange gifts and I have Sandy and Glory and that is it for gift giving. I need to make something for another bee, but that is already just about finished.

Maggie, I'm sorry this trip to CA will be a sad one. It's nice you can take different ways and see more of the country, though.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a dark, gloomy, windy, rainy, cold day in my corner of the world this morning. Days like this make me appreciate the sunshine so much even if it is colder outside. I'm dressed and have a load in the washer but that's about it. I could run a couple errands but hate going out in this weather.

Maggie -- I'll bet Cecil is getting vibes that you are planning to leave and he doesn't want to get left behind. I saw that Grands recipe in a Facebook ad; looks good to me too. Have a safe trip to CA if I don't "see" you again before you leave.

"Gma" -- I always made my own mammogram appointments until this year. When I tried she said I had to have a doctor's order so I called the clinic and the nurse called it in. When I was in for my physical I asked about the change and the doctor said, "thank O!" I sure don't know why anyone would want to do these more than once a year. Well . . . harvest lasts until they get it done! They planted late this year because of the rainy spring. The other problem being that not all fields were 100% ready at the same time so they were switching between the corn and soybeans which meant switching "heads" on the combine. Also, the farmer has five different areas, several miles apart, that he farms so they have to move all the machinery: semi, wagons, tractors, pickups, and combine. I didn't know this until a couple years ago but there is a different head for corn and beans. They are so wide they can't go down the road on the combine so have to be taken off and moved on their own special trailer. The guys are about done for this year except now the rain will delay them a day or two. Farmers don't want to pay the elevators to dry either crop if they can help it. Some of the bigger farms have dryers in their bins but that still takes electricity. I guess most of the guys are getting better yields than they thought they would because of the dry summer. On our way to Sioux City there is an area where the corn stalks are laying pretty flat because of the tornado winds that went through a few weeks ago. Bob said it will be hard to combine because there are no rows to follow, and the combine can't pick up the flat stalks as well. Sad.

Susan -- Do you sell quilts at a quilt show or just display them? We have a quilting group at church that makes quilts for what they call Ingathering. The quilts, health kits, baby kits, school kits, etc., are sent over to needy countries; it's a big shipment when combined with all the other churches involved in NW Iowa. Our group of ladies are in their 80s and 90s, so I don't see that part being carried on by the youger generation, sad to say. I'm sorry about the asthma attack; I can imagine how scary that is for you. I'm glad you can doctor yourself! Christmas will be here before we know it, and you are so organized to have started shopping!

The washer should be finished so on to the next load. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday today!
  • Tuesday
    GOOD ROCKTOBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is another day in the high 50° area and may get to 60° before it is all done here in the ♥-Land. We went to visit the buffalo and they were all huddled together in their lean to that keeps them out of the wind. It is raining a tad bit but that doesn’t bother them at all.

I have got to make sure all we will need is packed this day for we leave in the morning. I have got to color my hair and put a fresh coat of clear polish on my nails sometime today. I’ll do my nails after I have done all what is on my list to accomplish. I just plan on putting a coat of “Wet & Wild Shine” clear as a top coat which will freshen up the existing clear polish and will dry quickly.

Both dogs have visited me this morning but I have not seen the cat as of yet. Poor thing has just gotten back to his eating schedule and then will have some days to get all mixed up again. He doesn’t eat properly when in jail. Ah, but he tells me all about it when we break him out and he is home again. Meow, meow, meow ~ and I just agree with him, scratch his ears and he is satisfied for awhile. Then it starts all over again. The dogs bounce back quickly for they are housed in the same cell together. I sure wish they would toss Cecil in with them but they have their rules to follow. I would gladly sign a disclaimer but they stick to their rules. I believe is still the best place in town to have pets cared for. The vet and his vet children are great folks.

Will just bought me a nice surprise ~ a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 (7.0) W/ Camera measuring 7½ x 4¾. What fun for I am going to have fun learning it for sure. I’d love to do nothing but that but I need to get my packing etc. done for our trip tomorrow. I’ll play with it when I get all my ducks in a row.

SUSAN Sorry your asthma has acted up but you have a way of getting it back under control which is the good thing. We have traveled those routes that we know them by heart by now. But in different times of the year the country side does look different. Your quilt shows sould like a lovely way to spend a day.

JEAN That grands recipe wasn't that good. Too much biscuit for the amount of filling you could use. We ended up putting extra filling on the top with some cheese and they were good. I don't think I will be making them again for they were too much trouble to make for what they were.

DONNA FAYE Sorry you are having so much trouble with your appointments. I can make my own appointments but we have different kinds of insurance and they probably do things differently here in the heartland anyway then they do in the big city. Your system is probably better off because you don't drink tea or coffee.

Time for me to get my ducks in a row and get my clothing packed and ready to travel. It works well in the Jeep to have our clothes on hangers in a clothes bag and not all folded up. Our smaller items of clothing go in our bags. Works for us.

Have a great afternoon my Magnolia friends.
  • Good morning to you gals. Looks like we are going to get some rain today or at least it is pretty dark here right now. It is going to be in the 80's today!

I learned late last night that one of the men that we knew really well at the church in Indiana was hit by a drunk driver and killed in June. The trial was supposed to start today but I guess it has been continued. This man was in his late 40's early 50's with two sons and a wife. I remember him when he was a little boy. His mother gave me piano lessons and he was spoiled rotten. His sister, who was my age, had severe down syndrome but lived at home. She also was very spoiled.

Today is tackling the kitchen. I haven't gotten that durn yarn yet and I really need it so I have enough time to get those socks done. Guess I will just work on the scarf for my friend instead. I am a little sluggish this morning so have to get revved up.

Jean: I lived around farmers growing up as my hometown was a farm town. You knew when it was harvest because the boys didn't come to school or show up for football practice. Their parents depended on them to help with the harvest. I lived about 2 blocks from the elevator and had to walk past it to get to school. In the fall it was always a busy, busy place.

Susan: Glad you had all you needed at home to provide breathing treatments and such for your asthma. It is surely a scary thing to have an attack when you are alone. Glad your quilt show went over so well. I would love to buy a quilt to put in the living room when we remodel, but they are out of my budget range. We are going to be pretty tight as it is getting done the things we want to get done.

Maggie: Hope you have a safe trip!

Well girls, time to get myself some breakfast. Have a good day. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's very foggy this morning, and a "warm" 52 degrees. It would be perfect for Halloween night. I am being lazy this morning; have read the paper and am dressed. I have bell choir later this afternoon and need to work on the afghan. Bob is taking a CEC class this morning and will work in the office this afternoon (a novel idea) because it's too wet to farm.

Maggie -- It's too bad the vet can't make accomodations for Cecil to room with the boys. Heck, Sonny spent three weeks in the dog and cat food store room alone, because they weren't sure what was wrong at first. I know you will have fun learning all about your new "toy" even though I have no clue what it is. I assume it is part camera. The biscuit recipe I saw used two biscuits, top and bottom, with a half cup of meat mix and cheese sprinkled on top of the meat. The pp would be more then. It showed using a fork to seal around the edges. Have a safe trip.

"Gma" -- That is too bad about your church friend being killed. I wish there was something auto makers could do so that cars wouldn't start if the driver had been drinking or using drugs. Same thing with cell phones. Bob's truck and my car won't let us program anything on the screen if the car is moving, which is ok except if the rider is trying to do it. I hope your yarn comes today!

Not much newsy from my corner of the world. Hope you all enjoy a sunny Wednesday!
  • Good morning to you all. It has rained all night and supposed to rain all day so I imagine leaf blowing won't be happening this weekend as everything will be too wet.

I only have a small chore this morning and morning chores and I will be all done. I am getting pretty steamed about my yarn though. It should have been here the first of the week. It came from Ohio, smartpost, which is Fedex until it gets into Memphis and then transferred to the post office. It is showing being shipped last Thurs and the last update was Saturday saying it is was in Southaven MS, which is where it transfers to the post office. I don't know where the heck the yarn is at this point. I am waiting to hear back from Fedex. The post office ignores your emails and gives you bologney if you call them. I don't get it soon, I am afraid I won't get the socks done for him.

Jean: Did you guys get a lot of rain the last couple days? I guess they post poned trick or treating tonight in Indiana because the rain is so bad and thunderstorms too. They are supposed to go tomorrow night I guess. I am not a big biscuit fan, but would like to try it maybe with crescent rolls and flatten them and seal them all up and see how that would do. I think I would use my homemade sloppy jo recipe and put the cheese inside instead of out.

Nothing much going on here except a load of laundry. Have a great day everyone. Faye
  • Good morning, ladies. 68 degrees with rain on the way.

I went to see Gravity in 3-D with 2 of my friends last night and then we had supper at Chick-Fil-A (Asian Salad for me). It was pretty far-fetched and I don't really care for space movies but I do like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.

Jean, Maggie's new toy is a tablet so similar to IPAD or Kindle Fire. This weekend we change the clocks. It's really been dark in the mornings and Cupid doesn't understand why we are getting up before the sun. LOL

Faye, I hope you get your yarn today but I know you'll get the socks done in plenty of time. I wish you'd not send us rain today! It seems we get your weather about 24 hours later. I want the kids to come Trick or Treating or I'll have 40 bags of pretzels in my pantry and that isn't good!

Have a wonderful day!
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun finally came out this afternoon and it's been so nice to see it again! The Weather Bug says it's 50 degrees so should be a nice evening for Trick or Treaters. I helped with the monthly church newsletter this morning instead of getting my nails done. I thought maybe I could go after lunch but there were four cars there so will go first thing in the morning. That's what I don't like about the walk-in business there.

"Gma" -- We've had misty days more so than rainy ones, along with thick fog. It's been wet enough to make a mess on the windows and car; our rain gauge isn't working so not sure how much we've actually gotten. I've tracked packages and it never looks like they take the shortest routes from start to finish. I hope you got your yarn today!

Susan -- I wasn't sure about going to Gravity although I do like Sandra Bullock too. I have CLOCKS written on my calendar so I don't forget to change them. We have an All Saints service at church on Sunday so Bob and I will be lighting candles for the members who died in the past year. They are glass with a cross and the person's name on them, then the family can take them if they wish. Sonny doesn't like it being dark in the morning either. He's always on the lookout for the stray cats and squirrels who come to eat. The cats will come in the dark but the squirrels wait until it's light. The possum has come a couple mornings too. I just saw a recipe for pretzels! I imagine it would work with any kind, except the straight sticks, but it showed a little square one with holes and you put a Hersheys white chocolate kiss on it, put it in the oven for a couple minutes, then top with another pretzel. It said not to let it melt because it would be a big mess, just let it soften a bit. Did you see where a mother is going to give "obese" children a letter rather than candy? I can't believe someone would actually do that when there are other kids around to watch. One piece of candy is not going to make that much difference imo.

I have a load of towels in the dryer so need to check and see if they are dry. I had a larger load than usual and the washer was making a screeching noise as it was spinning. I could hear it clear upstairs and couldn't figure out what it was. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening whether handing out treats or watching the tricks!
  • Happy November, Flowers! The sun is shining and the wind is blowing = COLD! I went to get my nails done this morning and ended up having my toes done too. It's worth every penny not to have to bend over and do them myself! Then I ran some errands and ran into a gal that used to work at school as a custodian. I knew she is a hospice volunteer but didn't realize she had been a CNA several years ago. She is also very talented in sewing and crafts; she took me to a consignment shop that has lots of area artists, crafters, etc., displaying their talents. So the morning was gone by then and I headed home!

It's too quiet here today!

I have laundry to sort and some to fold from the dryer so better get that done. Hope you all enjoy your evening!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it "feels like" 21 degrees outside. I need to go out and feed my critter friends and scoop up the cat food. "Someone" dumped the bowl over while it was still dark this morning. Bob left for the farm when it was still dark; he is hauling to the farm bins with two wagons. The guy lives on a rather hilly road and idiots tend to pass farm tractors even though there are double yellow lines. A couple years ago the farmer made huge signs for the back of his wagons saying that if passed on a double yellow line, he will turn the license plates in to the sheriff. The trick is to get the number. He has done it though. I have nothing planned for today except more laundry and sorting the never ending piles of clothes. I need to try some on first but think if I haven't worn them in a long time, it's time for them to go whether they fit or not.

Don't forget to change your clocks! "Fall" back which gives us another hour of sleep. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend and do something nice for yourselves.
  • Good afternoon everyone! It is cool here but nice and sunny. Jack is out cooking his crab cakes (he burns them and likes them that way so I make him cook them and clean up the mess.)

Today has been a do nothing day. Jack ran a quick errand this morning but other than that is mostly college football on tv. I have just been reading as my hands are hurting today so no knitting.

I am so furious with Fedex. After all was said and done, I finally gave them my phone number and told them straight out they had no need of it, but they gave me bologna but never told me why they needed it. They promised it wouldn't be given out that only the person doing the search for my yarn would have it. Yeah, right. I got a call yesterday morning showing "unknown" number wanting to know where I ordered from, what the order number was, what was in the box, and what color was it? Huh????? Why do you need all that? Are you going to go out on the tarmack and rip open every box to find pink and gray yarn. I did notice they updated this morning that the box is not at the post office and will probably be delivered on Monday. I contacted knitpicks where I ordered my yarn and they are not happy about it for sure.

Jean: My opinion is, you live in a farming community, you put up with farm equipment slowing you down. Why you would put yourself in danger by crossing on a double line I don't know. People are stupid. How is harvest coming along? Our leaves are too wet to clean up, but Jack is going to do some work on the stuff tomorrow I think.

You all enjoy your extra hour of sleep. I am going to help Jack finish up dinner. Faye