Lemon Garlic Chicken and White Bean Stew

• I made this last night and it was yummy! I adapted it from this original recipe. I like this one because it only takes 2.5 hours, so even if you forget to throw it in, you can still eat in plenty of time!

Ingredients
    1 medium onion, peeled and cut in sixths
    6 large cloves garlic, peeled, ends trimmed but left whole (I smashed them with my knife)
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into large dice
    2 tsp dried thyme leaf or 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced (I used dried rosemary)
    Zest of 1 lemon
    1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
    1 can of chicken broth
    1.5 pounds of chicken breast
    Juice of 1 lemon
    14-oz can small white beans, drained slightly (used to thicken stew)
    salt to taste

Directions
    In a 4-quart slow cooker, place the onion, garlic, bell pepper, thyme, lemon zest, black pepper and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Place the chicken breast on top.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring once or twice. Uncover and shred the breasts (I used two forks right in the crockpot but you can remove it and do so). Then, add the lemon juice and beans. Cook for 20-30 minutes more.

Enjoy!!!
  • This sounds amazing
  • Thanks for posting this, I made it for my lunches this week. It's delicious.
  • OMG YUM! I made a single-serve portion, just estimating 1/4 of the posted recipe: 1/2 a bell pepper, 1/4 c. onion, 2 cloves garlic, 100 g meat, probably too much lemon juice but that made it extra good .

I made my vegetarian - used "chicken-style" seitan, which was weird, but the dish was still really good.
  • I tried this but DH did not like it. So I added a bunch of broth, some more veggies, a little spice and called it soup. Delicious!!
  • glad y'all enjoyed! Reminds me to make it again!
  • Finally made this today. I did double the peppers. I only had 1.15 lbs of chicken. Used fresh rosemary. I did add 2tsp of Xananthum gum to thicken it up. Really quite tasty. The house smelled great today too!
  • That looks so good, and I love using my slow cooker!
    Besides, I have tons of lemons right now. I really want to make this with them. They must brighten up this dish up and sounds like it would go really nicely with the white beans.