25/30 Pound Goal - Let's Do It Together - Thread2

You're on Page 24 of 34
Go to
  • Stay strong....lots of will power....

• Back up a bit and have a terrible cold....
  • Hope you feel better soon Deelou! Try some warm vegetable soup, but with little salt. How about a nice hot bath. Colds are never good.
  • I hear the snow is falling again on the east coast. You sure have gotten a lot this year.
  • Hello everyone,

How are you guys doing?

I haven't been on the board for a while now. I felt discouraged and thought I was being a bummer. I haven't been feeling that great either. We were snowed in for about five days (they don't have many plows here in Oregon since it rarely snows) and did some thinking and research.
    I've been having another bout of reflux which I believe is obviously from weight gain and, from what I've read, menopause. I've been reading some books on the subject and adopted some ideas and I'm feeling better already. So I came across a BMR calculation in one of the books and at my age, height and weight is a woping 1325 calories That's pretty low isn't it? I checked two different calculators and came up with the same number. I know I eat more than that. I really have revamp everything and start counting calories.

Hope you feel better Deelou.

Renee - sorry you're getting hammered this winter. Since it doesn't snow much here I can enjoy it but wouldn't feel the same in the NE.

Corinna - it looks like your staying on track

Congrats to ADD on her losses too.

I just realized that 1325 number is for BMR while laying in bed, "Light Activity" brings it up to 1500-1600. My bad.
  • Well, I stayed the same , which is ok. I have been housebound all week due to the huge snow and ice storm. We are getting more snow today....I am sooo ready for Spring! Have a great week everyone!
  • Hi Lizzie! Missed you. Glad your figured out the right amount of calories now. That can make a big difference for you.

Today's weigh-in for me shows that I am the same as last week. So no loss or gain for me. I thought it would be a slight loss, but perhaps next week will be more on that side.

Hope the rest of you have more positive results than I did this week.
  • Start 1/20 @223.1# & Target = 198.1
    1/25 = 221.4
    2/1 = 217.3
    2/10 = 216.9
    2/15 = 216.9 Holding pattern at -6.2
  • Looks like we all stayed the same this week ......next week, lets really try and see if we can make the scale move in the right direction!!!!!!!!

• We can do it. We can do it.

Bad food in sticks to belly, chin, and thighs

Think thin to win. Think thin to win.

Good food in makes me healthy and wise.
  • How a few small diet changes can add up to big results
    Here is an interesting article that I wanted to share. I found it at:
    http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/2014/02/diet-changes-with-big-results/

A Few Small Diet Changes Can Add Up to Big Results
    Herbalife Nutrition Advice
    12 Feb 2014 Posted by Susan Bowerman, MS, RD, CSSD, FAND

Making a few small dietary changes every month can add up to big results. Taken together, this month’s suggested changes could save you enough calories to drop nearly 25lbs / 11kgs in a year !

You might have heard that it takes only a few weeks to establish a new eating habit – which would suggest that those diet and lifestyle resolutions you made at the beginning of the year should have taken hold by now. But in reality, there’s no hard and fast rule when it comes to forming new eating habits – for some, a new habit may well be established after a few weeks, but for others it could take much longer for dietary changes to comfortably settle in.

My guess is that those who take the ‘baby steps’ approach to dietary changes probably do a bit better than those who try to tackle too much at one time. That’s one reason I suggested at the end of last year that you might try making just a few small changes every month throughout the year – rather than taking on a lot of big changes at once. The idea is simply this: taken together, many small changes over time can lead to big results. And, since little dietary changes are easier to practice every day, you’ll always be reinforcing those new eating habits for a lifetime.
    Did you Stick to New Year’s Resolutions?

If you made diet resolutions in January, how are you doing? Are you sticking with your plans? Or did you try to do too much at once? Did you just fall right back into your old habits? Do you even remember what you promised yourself you were going to do? If you haven’t made the progress you’d hoped you would, there’s a good chance that you either tried to do too much at once, or the changes you tried to make were too drastic.

Making Diet Changes – A Few Small Steps for This Month

Sticking with the idea that “small changes add up to big results”, here are my suggestions for three small diet changes you might want to try this month. Taken together, they could add up to some pretty impressive results.

Small Diet Change #1: Leave a few bites of food on your plate.

The practice of leaving a few bites of food on your plate is designed to help you get in touch with your ‘fullness’ signals. Training yourself to stop eating when you’re comfortably satisfied will help you learn how much food you actually need at a sitting. One way to do that is to leave a few bites on your plate so you can practice paying attention to your internal signals. Too often, we rely on an empty plate to tell us we’re finished eating – and by then we may have eaten a lot more than we should.

Big Result #1: It’s been estimated that a single bite of food averages about 25 calories. Let’s suppose you leave 2 bites of food on your plate at two meals every day. That’s a daily savings of 100 calories – and in a year’s time, that could add up to a 10lb /4.5kg weight loss.

Small Diet Change #2: Double the veggies and cut the starch.

If most evenings you sit down to a typical meal that consists of a protein, a vegetable and a starch, try making this change just three times a week. Simply omit the starchy portion of your meal – the rice, the noodles, the potato – and double up on your vegetables.

Big Result #2: A portion of cooked rice, noodles or potato has well over 200 calories, while the same amount of cooked vegetables has about 50 calories. Every time you make this change, you’ll save about 150 calories. Make this change three times a week for a year, and you’ll save enough calories to lose almost 7lbs / 3kgs.

Small Diet Change #3: Switch from fruit juice to whole fruit

If you’re counting on fruit juices to help meet your recommended daily fruit servings, you could shave quite a few calories if you switch to whole fruit instead. One problem with fruit juice is that it lacks the filling fiber that you find in whole fruits. So, a typical glass of fruit juice might contain the equivalent of several pieces of fruit, but it won’t be nearly as filling. While you may not eat 2 or 3 oranges in a sitting, it’s not difficult to drink the calorie equivalent in glass of orange juice.

Big Result #3: Let’s say you eat a whole orange instead of drinking a 12-ounce (375mL) glass of orange juice in the morning. Every time you do that, you save about 100 calories (and you’d pick up about 3 grams of fiber, too). Now suppose you make that swap 5 times a week. That one little change could save you enough calories to drop 7.5 lbs / 3.4kgs s in a year.
  • Great article, Corinna, thanks!
  • Does this sound like you?
    Don’t Eat All Day or Skip Meals?

“Never starving, never stuffed.” Danielle Omar, MS, RD
    “Front load your energy.”Judy Simon MS,RD,CD,CHES
    “Your body is like an engine…no fuel in el tanko, no burno.”Renee Wiggins, RD

Not Good About Planning Meals?

“It doesn’t take willpower to lose weight for good, it takes goodplanning!”Amy McCallister, RD
    “Failing to plan is planning to fail.”Heather Mangieri
    “Those who don’t TAKE time to eat healthy now, may have to MAKE time for an illness later.” Janelle Dietze RD CSG LD
    “If you don’t put it in your buggy, you won’t put it in your mouth.”Batina Timmons, MS,RD,LD

The Perpetual Dieter?

“There is no pot of food at the end of the rainbow.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
    “Education is ammunition.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
    “Foods are not fattening.They may be high in calories but they are not fattening.Excess calories, above your daily maintenance requirements, are fattening.”Lisa Stollman-Smouha, MA, RD, CDE, CDN
    “Eat during the day, diet at night!”Katrina Seidman MS RD LDN
    “Habits not diets.”Sheryl Lozicki, RD, MBA
    “Seek food rather than avoid it.”Rebecca Wright, MS, RD, LD

Overeat During the Holidays?

“Don’t let a slip become a slide.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
    “At holiday time, don’t eat like it’s the Last Supper.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN

Are You an Emotional Eater?

“Don’t eat your emotions.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
    “When you give yourself permission to eat, you gain control of youreating.” Michelle P. Gallant, MS, RD
    “Face your stuff, don’t stuff your face.”Andrea Chernus, MS, RD, CDE
    “Hunger is not an emergency.”Kathleen Searles, RD
    “The first and last bite of something tastes exactly the same….no matter howmany bites are taken in between.”Beth Lutton, RD, LDN
    “Deal with your other issues as those issues, not as eating issues.”Julie Brake, MS, RD, LD

Not Motivated to Exercise?

“If you work out, everything else will too.”Sheila Leard, RD, CSSD, CPT
    “If your dog is fat, you need more exercise.“Anne Moselle, RD
    “Food is the fuel that allows you to do the things you love!”Lea Crosetti, RD

Don’t Have the Best Eating Habits?

“Your next meal is the best time to make a better choice.” Danielle Omar, MS, RD
    “Your body is your house and if you don’t take care of it, you have to leave.” Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
    “Downsize portion size, supersize common sense.”Jennifer Neily, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
    “It’s not about deprivation but liberation through moderation.”Jennifer Neily, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
    “For folks entrenched in the “clean plate club” think, waist versus waste.”Hope Damon RD,CDE,LD
    “The party’s in the mouth, swallow and it’s all over.”Hope Damon RD,CDE,LD
    “The freezer is your friend, cook once ,eat twice, or more.”Teresa Dotson, RD
    “Is this choice going to help me reach my goal?”Lorraine Huntley, M.Ed. RD LD CPT
    “Do three push aways a day – Push away from Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.”Laura Coti Garrett MS RD CDE
    “What’s going to happen if you don’t change?”Nikki Ver Steeg, RD
    “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”James Stevens MS RD
    “Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” John Lamberson, RD
    “If something is not working….change it!”Jennifer O’Donnell-Giles MS, RD, CSSD
    “If nothing changes, nothing changes.”Sandy Livingston, MEd, RD, LD/N

Feel Guilty About Food?

“Don’t “should” on yourself!”Charlene Geary, MS, RD
    “Your body does not gain or lose weight off of one meal.”Renée J. Bordeaux, RD, CD-N, CPT
    “There are no mistakes, only learning experiences.”Elyse Resch, M.S.,R.D.,F.A.D.A.
    “Come from a place of curiosity, not judgment.” Elyse Resch, M.S.,R.D.,F.A.D.A.
    “Progress not perfection.”Wendy Morgan, RD and Lorraine Huntley, M.Ed. RD LD CPT
    “There are no dead ends in the road to (weight loss) success, just speed bumps.”Courtney Stinson, RD
    “It is food … not cocaine.”Reba Sloan, MPH, LRD, FAED
    “There are no failures or mistakes, just learning experiences- it’s okay that you ate a whole sleeve of cookies, but what was that experience like for you?“Heather Rudalavage, RD, LDN

What should I eat?

“Eat food that expires.” Tina Marinaccio, MS, RD, CPT
    “We are all different, what works for you won’t work for me, what worked for you yesterday may not work for you today.”Maya E Nahra, RD, LD
    “If it grows, it’s good for you, it’s that simple!”Christine M. Palumbo, MBA, RD
    “What you get back from your body depends on what you put into your body.”Jenn Giles, RD
    “We don’t need to live to eat, but learn that we eat to live.”David Talley, MS, RD, LDN
    “There are no good and bad foods, only good and bad habits.”Jennifer DeLuca MS, RD, LD
    “There are no bad foods, only our behaviors around foods.”Lea Crosetti, RD
    “Eat well and prosper!”Julie Brake, MS, RD, LD
    “Think about what you’re putting into your body and how your body will use it.”Julie Brake, MS, RD

This information came from http://foodconfidence.com/2010/10/14...oss-experts-2/
  • Good help, Corinna...:-)
  • The week is going by quickly. I hope I see some good results this week. I am still sticking to my diet and exercise plan.