What is a "Paleo" way of eating??

• As I get ready to go into maintenance, I'm looking at different ways of eating. I've read some stuff on here about the "Paleo" way of eating. Can someone please give me the nutshell version of what this is??
    Thanks!
  • Hi,
    I've been following paleo lifestyle for about 7 months now.
    Basicly eating fruits, veggies,eggs,protein, nuts,good fats.

Nothing processed. I still have a quest bar once in awhile.

No grains, dairy, sugar and starchy veggies.

There is plenty of detailed info online.
    I read and read and read! Lol!
    its working well for me. Keeps the cravings to a minimum.
    feel great!

Hope this helps alittle
    D
  • Yes I am a big fan of the Paleo lifestyle. I can also suggest a great podcast with lots of fascinating information. Its called Latest in Paleo...
    One area of big conflict I can see as you come off IP with ho they see fat in the diet. Paleo does not see good fat and fat from grass fed and finished animals as a big problem. However on the whole they tend to stress lower carb.

Be aware there is no one school of paleo and there are lots of viewpoints out there...which I think is a good thing.
  • This is interesting information. I had never heard of Paleo until searching for IP compatible recipes. Thanks for the podcast info.
  • Quote: Yes I am a big fan of the Paleo lifestyle. I can also suggest a great podcast with lots of fascinating information. Its called Latest in Paleo...
    One area of big conflict I can see as you come off IP with ho they see fat in the diet. Paleo does not see good fat and fat from grass fed and finished animals as a big problem. However on the whole they tend to stress lower carb.

Be aware there is no one school of paleo and there are lots of viewpoints out there...which I think is a good thing.
    I'd love to see a maintenance paleo thread...I've been trying to learn, and my coach suggested what she calls a modified paleo. She said it's really perfect for anyone who is GF or someone who would be OK with making that change for life, which could be easiest as we leave the structure of IP's convenience.

Did try almond bread recipe when I was medically phased off recently...it's REALLY good...this from someone who has already been GF for years...and finds most of the the commercial bread/GF products ....yetch!!!

In this article there is a comparison of carbs etc between white, rice and almond flour...

http://www.elanaspantry.com/10-great...flour-recipes/

Almond flour is often mixed with a small amount of cocoanut flour producing a smoother and dense bread that holds together better, and uses less total flour than wheat or rice flours. My foray into this was brief...but I'll be exploring this for breads and muffins for sure. Not an everyday thing..but Sunday breakfast is a big deal in our house!

...and I will share what I learn on a paleo thread...once I begin that new journey!
  • ^Awesome!

I've been reading a lot about Paleo myself lately and came across this excellent resource. A beginner's guide to paleo with a bunch of other good links on it. Mark's Daily apple is one I read a long time ago that got me interested in Paleo in the first place.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010...he-paleo-diet/
  • I started Paleo right after getting to maintenance. I was basically looking for a permanent low carb lifestyle and this seemed to fit the best. Luckily it also led me to CrossFit which I am now doing 4 days a week and loving.

Here's my favorite Paleo recipe:

The Best Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins

Prep time: 5 Minutes – Cook time: 25 Minutes – Total time: 30 Minutes
    Yield: Makes 12 Regular Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins

Ingredients:
    • 2 Cups Almond Flour
    • 2 Eggs
    • 2 Egg Whites
    • 1/4 Cup Agave (Honey, Maple Syrup or Stevia)
    • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
    • 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Dash of Salt
    • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Other Healthy Oil)
    • 1 Cup Blueberries
    Directions:
    1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
    2. Place all ingredients excluding blueberries into your food processor and blend until smooth.
    3. Once completely mixed fold in blueberries.
    4. Spray muffin tin or mini muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
    5. Evenly scoop batter into muffin tin.
    6. Bake for 25 minutes.
    7. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack
  • The more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that Paleo is the way to go when I get to maintenance. It's never too soon to think about maintenance, imo. The mental prep alone will be invaluable.
  • Quote: The more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that Paleo is the way to go when I get to maintenance. It's never too soon to think about maintenance, imo. The mental prep alone will be invaluable.
    I agree...and have really been checking it out. My youngest daughter who has celiac, and her 2 1/2 YO daughter who also appears to have it ... are going paleo. My SIL is a long distance runner and won't /can't give up some of his carbs ...yet. My daughter is working on getting him on healthier carbs...but letting him keep his whole grain bread and shredded wheat... in the AM only. But no more pasta, noodles, rice, or pretzels in their shopping cart! Of course there are the machines at work...but she doesn't want it in the house! He is quite thin...runs 6+ miles a day. More if he is training for an event. They live in Austin so he can run almost daily all year round. He's one of these lucky people that gets the endorphin rush and gets cranky with out it!! My daughter runs too...but she doesn't get the high. Too bad...she inherited THAT from me!
  • Thank you ALL for your input! The more research I do, the more I'm thinking this is the way I want to go in maintenance also. GREAT, GREAT stuff! Thanks for the link Jojo and the yummy recipe M35!