Worldly Chicks in October - Keepin The Sisterhood Tight

You're on Page 8 of 19
Go to
  • Thanks for trying Happy. Guess we will just have to try the office at the apartment block. Something has happened there. But what I have left a message on Mel's phone. It's as if someone was on it as it went to voicemail almost immediately.
  • Hi. I am morning the end of my vacation. Thinking about going back and catching up is a bit daunting. I will just do what I can.

I have made a pack with myself to make time daily to log my food so I know where I am and be aware of my weight loss goal. Also to get exercise in at lunch 3 to 4 times a week.

Thank you to all of you who shared your personal introductions with me. You all are so interesting and have so much energy!

Laura: I hope you are feeling better. I too deal with uti's. I actually have a bladder conduction called interstitial cystitis and it feels like a uti's when it flares up. I take a daily medicine to manage the disease and also follow low acidic diet.
  • Shad - phone rang twice and went to voicemail. Seemed quite typical to me as if the phone was not being monitored. How in the heck would we reach the office at the building???
  • Happy and Shad
    Maybe Jen is checking Mel's phone for messages. I'm getting more than anxious to here from her.

Susie
    I had to play catch up today at work.

--------
    Just realized that I'll be on vacation soon -starting Thursday as a matter of fact. Yippe This will be a stay-cation, unless I can get some on to go with me up to Hardy, Arkansas for a couple of days. I'll text my cousin tomorrow and ask her.
  • Happy and Shad
    Do either of you have Jen's cell phone number?
    What about her email???????
  • As far as I am aware, Jen doesn't have a cell phone. Mel told me ages back that it had been cut off.

I've used Jens email several times now and there is no reply.
  • Good Monday Morning Everyone.....was a very busy 3 days off...sorry for my absence, everytime I sat down for a minute I thought of posting but was too tired to get back up and turn the darn computer on.

Guess I will go back to Friday....my BF, her mom (my 2nd mom) as I have been under her influence since about 4 years old, my DD and the babe showed up at the house around 10 am. We sat and had coffee and decided where to go for lunch. Blueberry Hill Pancake House. They have all kinds of great food. Some of us got lunch some got breakfast. I had BBQ chicken, mashed tatos, mixed veggies and salad. I brought a breast, two wings and the tatos home to C for his dinner. No cooking on Friday. I was too full to eat dinner. We went to Kohls for a bit of shopping then back to my house for iced tea and great conversation, mostly laughing.

Saturday, my brother came over about 10, we had a "session" for he and his wife's new Life Coaching business. I am his first client (guinea pig), it is for free however I think this well help with my understanding myself and losing weight. We shall see. He left around noon and I did laundry, cleaned the oven. My semi-annual job as I don't like the smell of Easy Off. Fixed pizza noodle casserole and garlic bread (buns) for dinner, Sissy called and want to stop by to get the carpet cleaner on their way home from Ainsley's volleyball game. They ended up staying for dinner and taking the leftovers home with them.

Yesterday C and went by to see dad's house and all the work my bro/SIL have done. OMGoodness you would not believe the difference. Actually you would never known my dad/momma lived there. New carpet, all the wallsceilings painted, cabinets in kitchen taken down, cleaned, sanded and repainted a very lovely shade of grey. New tile in kitchen, bath and entry way. All they have left to do is put new closet doors in all the rooms. From there we went to lunch at Red Lobster...yum king crab legs and salad was too full for the corn on the cob and roasted potatos. Had a full pound of the crab legs. Then on to Menards to get a new water faucett for the bathroom also got a new shower curtain. Off to Gander Mountain as C had a 20$ gift card burning a hole in his wallet. A little Walmart and home again, home again jiggity jig. A very full day. In bed by 9pm.

Which brings us to this morning chatting with you lovely ladies.

HAPPY...glad you got some really nice ATV rides in. The wreck tho sounded scary. Kind of like on a motorcycle, you have to watch out for everyone else. Boo on the restaurant visit. Sissy and I had that sorta same kind experience the last time at Denny's. I tell you it is no longer about customer service. Some wait staff are too dumb to know that if you treat your customers better you just might get a nicer tip. Bleh on them

CEEG...nice to get the shed cleaned out. St. Vicent DePaul finally made it to my house on Saturday when my brother was there to get our old sofa and loveseat out of the garage. Thank God so C can now start parking in the garage again. Enjoy your staycation this week....

Going to post to finish as I don't want to type this again.
  • SHADDIE...hmmm, I am beginning to worry about MELLIE and JEN as Jen is our only life line to MEL. If JEN is down we may not hear for a while. Are you home now for a while?

CHELLE...glad you found a doctor that you like. I just love my doc. It makes all the difference in the world when you doc WANTS to help you. I really think it motivates us to do better also. THank you again for all the work you have done with the frame and shipping. Hugs

LAURA...so glad you are feeling better. I have only had a couple of bladder infections in my life and don't care to have any more. Goodluck at WI this week. Stay strong and focused.

SUSIE....a little about myself. I am divorced after a 21 year miserable marriage, however have two wonderful children...Samantha is 27 and Jacob is 25. Samantha has my only grandchild, Jacob who will be 2 on the 19th of this month. Sam is due again in March. We may find out this week the gender. I am remarried to a wondefully, loving, caring, kind hearted man. It will be one year in April. I am 53 and work full time for a major insurance company. I have 3 older brothers. 63, 61 and 58. Life is generally good here in Indiana. I am very blessed.

I will be on vacation this Wednesday as finally the Covered Bridge festival has started. We did have DD/babe and a few others going with but all have backed out and it will just be me and C. Most likely because it is supposed to be rainy and 60 degrees...funny same forcast we have had for the past two years. Thursday is DDs doc appt that I will be attending just in case the gender is revealed and also to corral lil man.

That is my catch up for now. Everyone make it a great Monday/eve and a very good week.

Loves and hugs
  • Morning all. I did some internet searches and found a possible phone number for the building where Mel & Jen live. I don't know how easy it would be to get someone to give us any info, but are we at the point yet where we should try? I'm worried that we haven't heard anything. That said, it's Columbus Day and I wonder if anyone would even answer the phone.
  • I hope we can reach Jen or someone in the building soon. I'm getting worried.

If Jen doesn't have a cell phone...does she have a land line? Maybe we should call the office. Surely someone would have to be there in Mel's absence.
  • Hello all, long time no post. Most of you don't even know me anymore, although Happy and Shad and Mel do mention my name from time to time, and you've probably seen me amongst the Dropbox photos. But the Mel crisis has finally dragged me out of lurker mode, at least temporarily.

Anyway, even though I have a bit of a phone phobia - don't even use a cell - this morning I put on my big-girl panties and called the number I found on-line for Mel's building, and got a recorded message that the office is closed. Would any of you know whether the governmnent shutdown would have an impact on a state housing authority office? Or are they maybe just taking the day off to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving??? Anyway, I'll keep trying.

For those of you who don't know me, I know you! Even tho I stopped posting a good while ago I have kept up with your trials and tribulations since then. A few years ago I met Joy and Ruthxxx when Joy came to Canada, and later on I bused over to NJ and spent the day with Mel when I was visiting New York.

If I find anything out about where Mel is or how she's doing I'll either post again or let you know via Shad. I just hope she's not going downhill even faster than expected.
  • Columbus Day! No wonder no one answered. I do wonder who's running the place these days - Mel used to be on duty whenever the office was closed, and the other residents must be missing her more than ever. I'll try again tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it...
  • Hi Carla...I do remember you....we have chatted back and forth several times.

Everyone please keep trying. I am going I-Spy this afternoon and see what I can figure out.
  • Hi Carla - thanks for making that call. Hopefully we can reach someone tomorrow!
  • Dinners the next two evenings...

Roasted Chicken Dinner

<li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_263">1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) chicken, quartered and wing tips discarded<li class="alt-col">2 tablespoons olive oil<li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_221">2 1/4 teaspoons salt<li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_231" class="alt-col">1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper1 lb boiling potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
    <li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_233" class="alt-col">2 zucchini (1 lb total), quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2 1/2- to 3-inch lengths1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    <li class="alt-col">1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth<li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_235">1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice<li id="yui_3_9_1_10_1381764367790_237" class="alt-col">Special equipment: a large roasting pan (17 by 12 inches)Garnish: lemon wedges
    Directions

1. Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F.
    2. Pat chicken dry, then toss with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Arrange chicken, skin sides up, without pieces touching, in roasting pan, leaving a 2-inch border around edges of pan.
    3. Toss potatoes, zucchini, and onion with remaining tablespoon oil, remaining teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper in same bowl, then spread in 1 layer around chicken, arranging zucchini skin sides up. Stir together broth and lemon juice and pour into pan around chicken and vegetables.
    4. Roast, uncovered, until chicken is pale golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
    5. Remove pan from oven and preheat broiler. Broil chicken and vegetables 3 inches from heat until chicken is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Serve chicken and vegetables with pan juices

Roasted Cod with Little Tomatos andAssorted Olives
    • 1 pound assorted grape and cherry tomatoes - different colors work beautifully
    • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
    • 4 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1/1/2 -2 pound cod
    • 30 Assorted Olives, kalamata and nicoise work well together
    • 1 handful chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, mint and oregano work well)
    • 1 cup chicken stock - depending

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. Place tomatoes in overproof dish and toss with garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes on lower rack in oven.
    3. While tomatoes are cooking, cut fish into 4 equal sized pieces, rinse and pat dry.
    4. Remove tomatoes from oven, nestle fish into the tomatoes and their juice, scatter olives and return to oven for about 25 minutes but of course this depends on the thickness of the fish.
    5. Test for doneness - cod should separate easily and be just opaque. Remove from oven.
    6. Sprinkle fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle last two tablespoons of olive oil all over. Serve hot with quinoa, couscous or crusty bread.
    7. Extra note - juiciness of the tomatoes can vary - when adding the fish, if the tomatoes are not seeping, add 1 cup of chicken stock to the dish.
    Only on the fish recipe I am going to use the fish C caught and also only using black olives as I do not like the others named. Also only using the cherry tomatos out of my garden....HAPPY this might be a good recipe for you to use your cherry tomatos.